Monroe's An American Trattoria
1603 Commonwealth Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Monroe's An American Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monroesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7035485792x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jesus Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Monroe"s is available for private luncheons Monday through Friday ; No facility charge - minimum 25 people for 2 1/2hrs. Three course menu including bread service ,iced tea, sodas,and coffee ;$27/person plus 10%tax and gratuity($30/hr per waitstaff).
- Private Party Contact: Laura Abraham 7035485792x
A word from Monroe's An American Trattoria
Located in the heart of Del Ray in Alexandria, Monroe"s offers a distinctive experience of traditional and innovative Italian cuisine and a sophisticated award winning wine list. Monroe's is family owned and operated.Come dine with us in an intimate and relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Monroe's An American Trattoria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Monroe's An American Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (24)kid-friendly (22)fit for foodies (20)great for brunch (17)good for groups (16)special occasion (16)notable wine list (8)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Old StandbySoutherngent67VIPDined on 12/2/2013While not the most innovative cooking in Alexandria, always find the food & service very good, and good value. It's always a nice place to enjoy with friends or just the two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There were 6 of us for dinnerffxdinerVIPDined on 11/30/2013There were 6 of us for dinner & we had a wonderful time. We were seated at a round table which also had a view of the TV at the bar since the Alabama Auburn game was on. Our waitress was was excellent & really took care of us. Our food was very good. I really enjoyed my fried green tomato appetizer. Plus we all shared a few desserts with the panna cotta being our favorite. I'd definitely go back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Monroe's!GlobetrekkerDined on 11/27/2013We always enjoy our evening if we spend it at Monroe's. Love the homey atmosphere, neighborhood feel, delicious food - you can't go wrong! It's our restaurant of choice for family and out of town guests.Special Features:
- Tourists FreeGlenDined on 11/23/2013Love this place for its friendly atmosphere. Great staff!Special Features:
- FineOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/20/2013A little more focused menu and more polished service would put this place up a star. Not sure I would return soon, a lot of other options in Old Town / Del Ray. Still they have lasted 15 years, so I'm sure they will be around longer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious foodGerryDined on 11/16/2013Consistently delicious food and wonderful service. Vast menu with lots of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the very best restaurantsPeacockDined on 11/11/2013One of the very best restaurants in all of AlexandriaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monroe'sirishcsrDined on 11/8/2013Always a wonderful meal. Attentive wait staff. Reasonable prices, always convenient and welcoming. If we lived closer, we would put it on a weekly visit.Special Features:
- We've been to Monroe's severalGKRKVIPDined on 10/27/2013We've been to Monroe's several times but never for brunch. The menu is terrific!!! I had eggs benedict but with a twist - they were served on grilled polenta rather than English muffins. This made them light and lovely. My husband had a "mixed plate" which included WONDERFUL and light pancakes. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monroes-Consistently GoodTmg1404Dined on 10/26/2013Terrific meal. We eat at Monroes' 5-6 times per year and have never been dissapointed. We have had family birthday's, our anniversary, and just to eat out. I am a fish fanatic and my husband loves meat and pasta. We are both happy. The wine parings are always terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monroe's for dinnergoodneighborsDined on 10/22/2013We took our out of town guests in hopes of finding a cozy neighborhood place with really good food. We found it! A lovely meal and very pleasant ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatNorthernvirginiaDined on 10/19/2013We are finding ourselves back here more and more often - when someone is visiting and we want something local - part of a neighborhood. The food and service are always good and dependable and they are always so friendly and accommodating. Are there more glamorous places to eat around here? Sure. But, I will always recommend Monroe's for what it is - a fun, energetic neighborhood treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place in Del RayRebeccaDined on 10/19/2013This is a great place in Del Ray. Food was fresh and delicious with lots of depth of flavor. Service was excellent and special accommodations were made for seating for us which was helpful. Overall a great experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ChevrayDined on 10/12/2013Great food and wine. Excellent service. Free on street parking. Don't miss it if you are in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monroe's always has a greatSVAGRADDined on 10/11/2013Monroe's always has a great list of specials from which to choose. I've never had anything at Monroe's that I did not enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemGlobetrekkerDined on 10/10/2013Love Monroe's. Nestled in the Del Ray neighborhood in Alexandria, it has a great bar, warm, inviting dining room, and delicious food. I'm glad such a nice restaurant is so close!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monore's has changedgourmetDined on 10/5/2013Very poor service. The waiter was not sensitive to our needs. He immediately asked what we wanted to drink when we sat down. We wanted to decide what we were going to eat in order to decide on our drinks. He took a long time to check back with us to take our drink and food order. We ordered the crab artichoke dip. None of us liked the dip but the waiter did not pick up the cue. He did not offer to take it off of our bill and did not serve us our entree until we asked for it. Our waiter was an order taker, not a waiter that cared about our positive experience. Has Monroe's management/ownership changed?
- Loved ItmadweberDined on 10/5/2013Everybody loved the food, service, and atmosphere.Special Features:
- A Dependable ChoiceOutnAboutDined on 9/28/2013We frequently dine a Monroe's and are never disappointed in the food or service. The atmosphere is neighborhood friendly. Choosing a booth helps to insulate against the noise that sometimes makes the floor level more difficult for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servers have no enthusiasmHoss2112Dined on 9/21/2013I have been to Monroe's many times over the past few years. The food is always good, they are kid friendly and I love the local atmosphere. I think all the servers have been there for years. This time (and the last) the servers have no enthusiasm for being there. No happy face, no jokes, nothing to make you feel welcome. They aren't rude but have certainly started to take the diners for granted. When we ordered a bottle of wine, we were showed it and then utter silence... no conversation and not even looking at you. My husband tried to make small talk and it went over like a lead balloon. We are rethinking coming here as often (every 2-4 weeks).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2013I've been to Monroe's about 5 times and I am always happy and satisfied. The have great drinks, including micro beers on tap, a great wine list, and a full bar. The large list of specials are typically seasonal always sound wonderful, and the actual menu is huge! They have a large list of salads (which I really appreciate), and a large list of appetizers. For dinner, I usually have the spicy crab pasta - since the first time I had it, I have a hard time passing it up. The tiramisu is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as always Monroes is the best!desfoxDined on 9/12/2013The food and service was excellent. I love that place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerJoanneYDined on 9/7/2013Good Seafood Medley Linguine. Great linguine with Shrimp and mushrroms. Delicious calmari rings. Dessert was yummy, and wine was good. For my birthday, I got a free piece of chocolate cake, very nice touch. Parking is a bit of a problem there, but we were able to park fairly close by the venue. All in all, a nice dinner, and nice place. I will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining al FrescoMetroDCDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2013Ate on the patio for the first time at this neighborhood favorite. The service was efficient and pleasant. I had the veal picatta, my husband had the veal chop. Both were tender and tasty and cooked to perfection. The red wine bottle special topped off the meal. We typically chose Monroe's when we are not in the mood to try some where new.Special Features:
- Monroe's provides consistentlyBowieBillVIPDined on 9/6/2013Monroe's provides consistently good food and service. Their menu has many good choices and their wine list offers good values.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceChuckVIPDined on 9/4/2013Monroe's offers consistently good Italian and great ambiance in the sense of friendly, helpful service and warm, comfortable surroundings. This is a genuine neighborhood gem that I would bring guests to for almost any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monroe's Never DisappointsOutnAboutDined on 8/31/2013As always, the food and service were dependably good. We come back frequently to enjoy the neighborhood atmosphere and wide selection of entrees.Special Features:
- Always delicious!Hoss2112Dined on 8/31/2013My family dines here around once every 1-2 months and each time the food is very good. We usually order the same thing - carbonara and a veal dish, along with fried mozzarella or caprese. Kids meals are good and ample food for an 8 year old. Wine specials are always a good deal. Would recommend as a local favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2013Monroe's demonstrates that when the owners show that they care, the staff follows suit and everyone benefits. Always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed our meals.KevinDined on 8/20/2013We really enjoyed our meals. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2013The food is okay, but nothing special. The chairs are very uncomfortable. So hard and slippery that it made it impossible to enjoy anything.
- A comfortable, pleasant experiencelove2eatItalianDined on 8/13/2013My latest meal at Monroe's was on a quiet, August summer night with relatively few diners present. I have also been there at other times during other seasons when there were more people dining and the noise/gaiety level was higher. I was again struck by what a comfortable place it is. The food, the service, the ambience all combine to make for a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy dining at Monroe's.silverdinersDined on 8/2/2013Always enjoy dining at Monroe's. Never had a bad meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for any family occasionCasyanDined on 8/2/2013Great for any family occasion with a menu to please any palette.Special Features:
- Good value for $$ spentJC7565Dined on 7/27/2013Saturday night mid -summer. Probably would be harder to reserve in other parts of the year. Not too busy. Good dinner- scallops and linguine. Partner had swordfish special. Both well prepared and served. Split a spinach salad prior. Another good choice. Had a full bottle of Italian white wine marked as special. Another good value. Overall pleased with this choice and meal. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!KeriVIPDined on 7/26/2013My husband I and love this place! The food/service is always great. We took our family here who were visiting from out of town and had a wonderful evening. Everyone loved the food. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- One of my favorite placesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2013One of my favorite places for good food, nice atmosphere, good service. Casual but classy. The menu has a nice variety of great dishes, and there is always an offering of really good specials. A fun place to go with guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Monroe's manyBowieBillVIPDined on 7/19/2013We have been to Monroe's many times and it never disappoints.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for our group of sixSusanDined on 7/6/2013I hope I get a chance to return to Monroe's very soon. The food was great, prices reasonable, good size portions. The service was professional without being too formal. My party of six had a round table in the front corner, a perfect location for our non-stop conversation (5 young adults and me) and laughter. Just as advertised. I highly recommend it. thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicemadweberDined on 7/6/2013A place you can go and hear your table mates. It's not a "quiet" place, but the noise does not travel. The food was good and good quality. Good service too. People learn about this place by word of mouth. Always parking available nearby in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.