Monroe's An American Trattoria
1603 Commonwealth Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Monroe's An American Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.monroesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7035485792x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jesus Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Monroe"s is available for private luncheons Monday through Friday ; No facility charge - minimum 25 people for 2 1/2hrs. Three course menu including bread service ,iced tea, sodas,and coffee ;$27/person plus 10%tax and gratuity($30/hr per waitstaff).
- Private Party Contact: Laura Abraham 7035485792x
A word from Monroe's An American Trattoria
Located in the heart of Del Ray in Alexandria, Monroe"s offers a distinctive experience of traditional and innovative Italian cuisine and a sophisticated award winning wine list. Monroe's is family owned and operated.Come dine with us in an intimate and relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Monroe's An American Trattoria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Monroe's An American Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (24)kid-friendly (22)fit for foodies (20)great for brunch (17)good for groups (16)special occasion (16)notable wine list (8)romantic (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good Family RestaurantTwoTravelerstooDined on 3/19/2014Very kid friendly. Good Italian food but also Fish of the day was excellent. Crayons and drawing on the paper table kept youngsters occupied before dinner was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True Neighborhood GemkalexDined on 3/18/2014No need to drive into the city or even into Alexandria"s Old Town for consistently great food at reasonable prices. A lovely muraled dining room, hands-on/ always-present owners, well-curated wine list and excellent cooking of fresh ingredients, Monroe's never disappoints!Special Features:
- Another Good TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/18/2014Once again Monroe's delivered on both food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monroe's is hard to beat!NovaLuluVIPDined on 3/15/2014Party of 4 & everyone ordered something different for dinner and we all loved what we ordered. First we have appetizers, Caesar salad, lobster bisque, a caprese salad with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then on to entrees -- lamb shank, steak special, salmon and trout. All very well prepared and served with a smile. Dessert was one decaf (no fun!), profiteroles, bread pudding and a cannoli. Everything was delicious, and there was nothing left on any plate! This is a lovely little neighborhood restaurant, serving consistently lovely food. It's mostly Italian, and their pasta dishes are wonderful. There is always a sheet of specials too. Priced moderately, Monroe's is hard to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neighborhood ItalianKEDinesDined on 3/14/2014My mother and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Monroe's last Friday. Though it is not in our neighborhood, I wish it were! The menu is a good balance of new and classic Italian dishes, with some a mix of both. Their updated fettucini carbonara paired cream, peppers, and applewood bacon, with the latter giving the dish a smoky finish that contrasted nicely with the sweetness of the peppers and cream. Definitely one of the best carbonara's I've ever had. The pear and asiago cheese salad was very light on the pears, but their version of creme brûlée was lovely and creamy, with a thick crunchy top. Note that the pizza and "Monroe's bread" are very thin crust (virtually cracker-like). If we lived down the block, we'd be regulars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodloverDined on 3/11/2014We had been frequent patrons of Monroe's for years, and always took friends and family there for special occasions. Last evening, the family went for my wife and my anniversary. Truthfully, it had been about two years since we'd been to Monroe's but we thought that the quality of the experience would have been the same. It wasn't. While the wait staff was friendly, they were not as attentive as usual. The food was tasty but nothing special. My wife's seafood pasta was way too salty. My son's medium steak came out rare. (The waiter's response- "I thought you'd said medium rare") and returned from the kitchen unevenly cooked. Everything was edible, but "Olive Garden" edible, at twice the price. We won't be going back soon. It's a pity.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/9/2014Always an excellent experience. Service is great, food is delicious and the Italian wine selection is superb.Special Features:
- Italian-American Comfort FoodBGinArlingtonVIPDined on 3/7/2014Great find! The service was warm and welcoming from the moment we walked through the door; the dining room is full of happy locals lingering over wine and their meals; the food was solid, from appetizer to dessert (try the pistachio creme brulee!). It's not the most adventurous menu, but the classic trattoria cuisine is skillfully executed and the service is friendly and professional. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.Just42Dined on 3/2/2014Good food, clean, pleasant atmosphere and charming neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemkconnersDined on 3/1/2014Have dined here a couple of times and never disappoints. The last time we were given a coveted booth and we were celebrating with our daughter and future son-in-law. The hostess, waitress, food couldn't have been better. Always a 10!Special Features:
- Enjoyable DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014We had dinner at Monroe's on Saturday night. The place was almost full and I was glad i had made a reservation. Overall our dinner was great, the food was good and so was the service. I have only one small complaint and that is that the tables are a little too close together. I had no choice but to hear the conversation at the next table. Also, the server had to lean over between me and the diner next to me (but at the next table) to get their food on the table. As this was my first time, I did not know I should have requested one of their many booths. Next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like?HappyFoodieDined on 3/1/2014We've gone to Monroe's many many times since it's opened and never been disappointed. The food, wine, and beer are good and there are always interesting specials, the wait staff are friendly and experienced, the owners are really nice people, and the atmosphere is just right - casual and kid-friendly but also upscale enough to make it a leisurely "dining out" experience. The prices are also very moderate -- what's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable but Very NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014For our party of four Monroe's provided a most pleasant dining experience. The dining area felt warm and friendly but also full and a little festive. The noise level was such that we could visit without shouting. All four meals were well prepared and served appropriately. The steak my wife had was tender and very adequate. My fettuccine carbonara was excellent but rich and very filling. I also had a delicious side of asparagus that was served crisp and hot. We found the Chianti to be very satisfactory and reasonably priced at $5 per glass. The bread pudding that we had for dessert was perhaps the best I have had. It was the perfect ending to a very enjoyable evening. I seem to appreciate Monroe's more each time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of NineMCSWDined on 2/23/2014Attentive service and quiet enough that good conversation possible, even for group of nine. Crayons on paper table topper for kiddies but sophisticated food and drink for adults. Winning combination!Special Features:
- Food was very good, comfortable amblocalDined on 2/22/2014Food was very good, comfortable ambiance and the price reasonable. I like the fish specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Monroe'sNadinetheQueenDined on 2/21/2014I love Monroe's. The owners have been in the business since childhood and are very attentive and involved. The employees are attentive, dedicated and knowledgeable. The atmosphere is great - lighting not too bright, booths available, long, friendly bar. The food is consistently excellent with many daily specials.The herb butter is not to be missed. The wine list extensive. I bring all my visiting guests here because of all these reasons plus there is something on the menu for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsDelRayDinerDined on 2/17/2014We have dined at Monroe's since they opened. Their chef serves consistently delicious entres at reasonable prices. Fish, for example, is always moist and tender. The wine list is intelligently selected and favorably priced. We greet and are greeted by name now, and think of Monroe's as not just good comfort food but our go-to restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationshadowDined on 2/15/2014The restaurant was packed when we arrived, so we were very glad we had reservations. Once the entire party arrived, dinner was ordered. Everyone in the group ordered something different and everyone enjoyed their meal. The portions were large, especially the pasta dishes, so to-go containers were provided. The restaurant provided a slice of chocolate cake to the birthday boy - the cake was the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindPixxieDined on 2/14/2014Went for a valentines dinner with the girls and was really impressed. We loved that it was hidden away because it give the restaurant a nice neighborhood feel. The food was wonderful - we had fried green tomatoes, mozzarella caprese, filet mignon with linguini and cream sauce, and the chicken dragoncello with a side of pasta and plain sauce and some asparagus. Our deserts of profiteroles and panna cotta were heavenly. The prices were really reasonable. We've already decided we want to go back and try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodRickDined on 2/14/2014We have been to Monroe's 4-5 times and enjoyed every experience. Lasagna and pizza are my favorites. Extensive menu offers many well prepared italian dishes. Reasonable price for a fun night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland and frozenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Both my husband and I ordered shrimp dishes. We both got completely different shrimp. His were big, pink, firm, butterflied with tails. He had 5 shrimp total. I had small, mushy shrimp that I'm pretty sure were frozen. They had no tails and I got maybe 20 plus shrimp. Both dishes were completely bland. Even the herb butter that came with the bread was absent of flavor. Service was mediocre. Sever and hosts were texting throughout the dining. Low score was due to a table with an extremely loud and rude individual. Several guests complained but nothing was done. The guy became very loud and was chattering on when another guest asked him to be quiet. Words flew and tempers flared. Not a single person in staff did anything.
- Monroe's An American TrattoriajpacDined on 2/7/2014Wonderful experience. Crowded yet quiet. Food was delicious from bread with spicy tomato cheese dip on table to Coconut sorbet and chocolate cake for dessert. Very enjoyable and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday DinnerJohnfsDined on 1/31/2014Monroe's is a reliable restaurant, with a wait-staff who are quick to assist you and knowledgeable about the new items on the menu as well as the extensive wine list. The menu changes in response to available items, such as fish dishes, and seasonal specials, but my wife and I have never had to return an items that was not prepared well or did not fit the menu description. The deserts are also worthy of your time and change with the seasons and fresh ingredients. The wine list is as noted extensive, but there are few restaurants in the area that can match the items on the list, or the very accessible prices on the wine. Special Occasions are no problem as you can always ask about wines that are available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little below normal standardsJayRDined on 1/25/2014Monroe's is always a super place for dinner. The attention and personality of the staff, the ambience, and of course the food, are always top-notch. On our latest visit however, much seemed just below their normal standards. Staff seemed especially hurried. Though two of the four meals were the correct temperature for serving, two were cool, and the vegetables were either cold and/or undercooked. The flavors were fine, though not the usual "wow, this is terrific". We think the fact that it was Restaurant Week may have brought larger crowd therefore taxing the wait staff and kitchen. In any event this one sup-par performance will not prevent us from returning many times in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and pricesMollyVIPDined on 1/24/2014The menu offers a good variety of reasonably priced options. Everything we had was good. Salmon was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood ItalianSunnySquaredDined on 1/20/2014This review is for restaurant week, which was delicious. Two appetizers, two entrees, to feed two people for $35!. Given that entrees here are $18 - $30, that's a steal! Of course, we rounded out the meal with cappuccino and a shared dessert! The fried green tomatoes were delicious but the lentil soup was just standard. I had the eggplant wrapped around ricotta with pasta (melanzana ripiene) and my friend had the salmon--both yummy. The cappuccino was good; the tiramisu just so-so. Portion sizes are large, and previously I've split a primi and segundi with my dining partner. Wines are good with reasonable prices and there is a full bar, but the focus here is more on the food. The place has a nice cozy, intimate feel to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and would go backNikkyDined on 1/20/2014We went for restaurant week. The fried green tomatoes rivaled Founding Farmers. The chicken parm was some of the best I've had in this area. Service was prompt and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monroe's is consistently good.BowieBillVIPDined on 1/17/2014Monroe's is consistently good. We had the Alexandria Food Week SPecial: $35 for a dinner for two. It was delicious and a very good value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Waitressrcp2VIPDined on 1/13/2014We discovered this restaurant before Christmas. They have an excellent, extensive menu. For our first two visit the wait staff was excellent. On our third visit the waitress acted and looked like she was very unahppy and wanted to be elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Family OrientedmadweberDined on 1/12/2014Great waitress. She asked if we wanted to be moved without any prompting because we were seated next to a table with two loud kids. The parents tried, but there is nothing they can do without taping the kid's mouth shut. The waitress was great the whole meal as far as attending to refills and bringing out courses when appropriate. The food was good as usual. The veal, the salads, the pasta. However, the margherita pizza was awful. Not enough tomato sauce, bland cheese, no oil (I like it greasy), and chewy crust. It was like a cheese sandwich. The restaurant encourages kids by providing crayons. But come on parents - if your kids can't be quiet, get take out and leave. You know it annoys others because you keep hushing your kid, so leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monroe's is a favorite for us!coopannaerDined on 12/31/2013We love Monroe's! It has been a favorite for years. We always pop in and are pleased with all that the restaurant is - a neighborhood staple, a cozy and inviting atmosphere, great ambiance, helpful and friendly servers, and the owners are fantastic. Laura really welcomes us when we come in and, I think, all guests! This visit we went on New Year's Eve and we were so pleased to see the ceiling covered (literally, no gaps) with silver and clear balloons. Poppers were strewn about our table, too. Such a nice treat to eat at one of our favorite restaurants and celebrate 2014. If you haven't eaten here, please do, for your tastebuds' sake. (And try the Crab Pasta!)Special Features:
- New Years CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013Great neighborhood and family restaurant. They had taken trouble to decorate for the occasion. Even though we were there at a 6:30 reservation the place was full and vibrating. We shared. Caesar salad and the dressing is just the right tartness. we shared a appetizer of stuffed red sweet peppers with crab. nicely done. My flounder with crumb and potato flake coating we hot when it came to the table. My husband's rock fish was grilled nicely. Dessert was a several layer chocolate cate with mocha filling. Nice evening with note any hassle and close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always like Monroe's. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2013We always like Monroe's. It is great on New Year's Eve or a random evening you don't want to cook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure to visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2013Always a pleasure to visit Monroe's. I love to take out of town guest here to show them the best of our neighborhood gems!Special Features:
- Monroe's has been our go-towvmountainmamaDined on 12/23/2013Monroe's has been our go-to restaurant in Alexandria since it opened. The food is consistently excellent, and the service is friendly and efficient. Go to Monroe's a few times and you truly are "family."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood favoriteRollieinDCDined on 12/22/2013Stopped in for a birthday dinner, all were very happy with the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemFrugalGastronomeVIPDined on 12/20/2013Monroe's is everything you want in a neighborhood restaurant -- good food pleasantly served in a comfortable setting close at hand. It's always in the mix when one of us says "Let's not cook tonight."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/19/2013As always we had an excellent dinner at Monroe's, which is what I expect, wine was great and the service the best. try it you will not be dissapointedSpecial Features:
- Always Reliable--Monroe's!PSUDanoVIPDined on 12/19/2013Monroe's has only disappointed us once in over 18 years of coming here--and that was MANY years ago. This restaurant's picture is right by the word "Reliable" in the dictionary, and by saying it is reliable, it is NOT boring. They continue to innovate with their menu while not scaring old-time customers like us away. My wife had the shrimp pasta, and I a veal dish, and we came away yet again very satisfied!Special Features:
- Nice Neighborhood RestaurantLittleCDined on 12/13/2013We always enjoy eating here. They always have interesting specials & the regular menu is very good.Special Features: