Thunder Burger & Bar
3056 M St NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Thunder Burger & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thunderburger.com/
- Phone: 2023332888
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00am, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am *Limited Bar Menu Available For One Hour After Kitchen Closes
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Cross Street: 31st St
- Public Transit: Thunder Burger is located approximately .75 miles from both the Foggy Bottom and Rosslyn Metro stations. The Georgetown Metro Connect, the Circulator Bus and the "30"s" Metrobuses all stop within 1/2 block of the restaurant, in front of the Georgetown Barnes & Noble (east-bound) or at the corner of M and 31st St (west-bound).
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Colonial Parking operates an open-air parking lot directly across M St from Thunder Burger, as well as a garage right around the corner on 31st St. In addition there are several other public lots within a very short walk of Thunder Burger.
A word from Thunder Burger & Bar
Thunder Burger & Bar brings an edgy, rock & roll dining experience to the heart of Georgetown. Our mouthwateringly juicy and generously sized signature burgers are affordable works of art. A full selection of appetizers, refreshing salads, creative entrees and decadent home-made desserts offer a variety of dining options. Whether seated at the trendy bar, the graffiti highlighted banquettes and booths, or our ivy covered library room, sample from a large selection of American craft micro-brew beers and fine whiskeys. No matter the occasion, intimate dates, groups and families alike, enjoy the comfortable and energetic atmosphere with highly attentive service. Weekend Brunch now available, and a late-night menu is also available every evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Thunder Burger & Bar - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
Thunder Burger & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (20)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (12)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- We were very excited to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/8/2011We were very excited to try this place as we love gourmet burgers and beer. The best part about Thunder Burger was the beer selection. The ambiance was good too, really cute decor. It was hot when we went, around 85 degrees outside, and the restaurant was really warm. They had one of the front windows open! The burgers were just mediocre. We had boar and kobe burgers, which were really no more extraordinary than any other burger. They were pretty cheap with the portion of cheese as well. The sweet potato fries were very good, but the regular fries were just OK. Bottom line, I'd go back here for the beer selection. Not sure I'd spend $15-20 for the burgers again.
- Not Your Father's Burger PlaceCORKyVinoDined on 7/4/2011Take a group and visit the back of Thunder Burger for a great evening of beers and burgers - do a sampler of 3 beers because it is too hard to choose just one from their world-sourced list. Try a boar burger or other variation on the typical burger. The food is a great price value.Special Features:
- The turkey burger was servedlovediningoutVIPDined on 7/4/2011The turkey burger was served as hard as a hockey puck. The service was slow and unfriendly. I will not return.
- Good food and great beer selection.DCFoodieDined on 6/18/2011Good food and great beer selection. Service is spotty. Had trouble getting our waiter's attention.
- Food was outstanding. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2011Food was outstanding. Service was a little slow but we had a large party. There is not a kids menu or kids cups-not kid friendly. The food makes up for any negatives. A great variety of burgers(not just beef) and a great beer list. We had 7 different menu items and everyone was thrilled with their meal.Special Features:
- Quality burger, reasonableRedBeardVIPDined on 6/14/2011Quality burger, reasonable price. Recommended for the burger enthusiasts.Special Features:
- the hostess on sunday, katieOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/5/2011the hostess on sunday, katie (?) was just so kind and very sweet to our party!Special Features:
- I was skeptical that ThunderChicagoToDCVIPDined on 5/27/2011I was skeptical that Thunder Burger would be just another burger place, but it's all of the good and familiar things about a burger wrapped in a gourmet package. It's delicious food that isn't fussy and there is something on the menu for everyone. I had the O Fortuna sandwich and my friend had the elk burger. Both were cooked perfectly and seasoned well. I'd go back, but I'd probably head in earlier since it was so busy/noisy at 8:30 on a Friday.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. The menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/21/2011Food was excellent. The menu is built around the best burgers in town, but there are plenty of other things to enjoy. The wait staff and their assistants are very knowledgeable about the food, the beers they serve (there are many, many beers to choose from) and the service is fast and efficient - but not to the point where you think they are trying to hurry you out of the restaurant. Lots of fun, a good meal and a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great good, well decoratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2011Great good, well decorated themed restaurant (clovers on the wall were I little distracting), the reastaurant was clean, really the only bad thing I have to say is that the service was slow and seemed almost confused about what they were doing.
- Thunder Burger has neat decorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/8/2011Thunder Burger has neat decor and all, but we come for the burgers - everything on the menu is delicious. I don't really like mushrooms (except portabella are ok), but decided to spring for the portabella mushroom burger as a challenge...and omg it was amazing! The burgers are huge so you can definitely split, but my husband and I usually eat the whole thing and then walk the 30 minutes home to feel better about gorging ourselves. Only complaint - I wrote on opentable and told someone we were celebrating my husband's birthday and they didn't do anything, not even a mention of it. But, maybe they're just not that kind of place.Special Features:
- Thunder has some of the coolestFeedMeBoloVIPDined on 5/8/2011Thunder has some of the coolest decor I've seen at any restaurant--think the "Furry Walls" scene from "Get Him to the Greek." The furnishings, wallpaper, and place settings give the restaurant a vibe that makes you feel like a rockstar. Awesome music selection, and pretty good eggs benedict to boot!Special Features:
- Decent burget but not worthOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/30/2011Decent burget but not worth a special trip to Georgetown. Five Guys is better, and probably closer.Special Features:
- Great option for casual, inexpensivOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/30/2011Great option for casual, inexpensive dining in Georgetown.
- Spend your money elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/30/2011I ignored others' reviews and went here for brunch with two friends - good location and cool concept. The reviews that said it's expensive confused me - but now I know why. My friend ordered an omelette and was basically told she needed egg whites and fruit, instead of potatoes. This added $5 onto her $12 meal. It was not only insulting (equating it to ordering a coke and being told you really should have a diet coke instead), but it was no way a $17 omelette. He also tried several times to get me to add meat onto my salad, clearly not understanding what vegetarian means... There were 10 people working brunch and only maybe 20 dining, which was weird and service still wasnt good. Our check took 10 minutes after requested.
- The burgers and beer are delicisousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2011The burgers and beer are delicisous! The service is always very friendly and helpful when it comes to picking the right beer.
- The food and atmosphere wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2011The food and atmosphere were great! The service was very slow and confused at times. Other than that the experience was great.Special Features:
- Cooked to PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/10/2011The food and burgers were amazing! It's so difficult to find a burger joint that can actually cook a burger to order, but Thunder was absolutely up to task! We had the Kobe burgers, and they were amazingly juicy and flavorful...exactly what a perfect burger should be. Service was exemplary and drinks were great! Not at all what I expected from the outside, so a nice surprise!Special Features:
- we've had two vwry good mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/9/2011we've had two vwry good meals here. Great beer list and good service. Nice place.Special Features:
- We ate here twice & both timesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/9/2011We ate here twice & both times food was excellant! Had burger once & pulled pork other, they were prepared perfectly! Very flavorful great sides! My sister had turkey burger & said it was the best!Special Features:
- The food was excellent, withArlington412VIPDined on 4/8/2011The food was excellent, with the exception of the mussels, which were very disappointing.
- The burgers were good andstudaddyVIPDined on 4/7/2011The burgers were good and fairly priced. Mine fell apart toward the end, not a great thing.Special Features:
- Once again, another greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/25/2011Once again, another great dinner at Thunder Burger. Their ever changing selection of great beers and extensive selection of burgers with a twist keep us coming back for more.Special Features:
- Great burgers and beer selection.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/23/2011Great burgers and beer selection. Fun place to hang out and relaxSpecial Features:
- Juicy BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/13/2011I had the kobe burger and it's AMAZING. I wish the bun is bigger/wider. It's a bit hard to eat when you put all the meat in there with little tiny bun :) I end up use folk and knife :( Cocktail was good and reasonable price. I will definitely go back there again!!!Special Features:
- I went with a few friendsafeniaDined on 3/13/2011I went with a few friends for a Sunday brunch in Georgetown. Upon entering the restaurant, we were greeted and seated immediately. Our server pointed out several things on the menu which ended up being great recommendations. Since it is a burger joint, we all went for burgers with a variety of toppings. When the burgers came out, we were not disappointed. And the Bloody Marys were superb!Special Features:
- This burger bar has a veryaemirfaDined on 3/12/2011This burger bar has a very masculine vibe. The burger's were great, music was good, service was good. Pretty decent selection of beer on tap. I would recommend.Special Features:
- Great food, nice people, chillohhdinesVIPDined on 3/11/2011Great food, nice people, chill atmosphere... that's all. I highly recommend this spot.Special Features:
- My first visit to a DC areaPhillyBeerWeekPhanDined on 3/5/2011My first visit to a DC area gourmet burger place was OK. Thunder Burger is all about beer and burgers. They tell you that first thing. There is a wonderful beer list full of some outstanding beers (though they were out of the Dog Fish Head I wanted). They have a really tasty roll and great toppings for the burgers. However, there is nothing exceptional about the burger itself-no secret seasoning, kind of bland, just meat. Maybe the taste of the burger is overwhelmed by all the toppings. No surprises on the menu but generally good-loved the sweet potato fries. Deserts appear to be store bought. Nice atmosphere although noisy near the bar. Our part of 5 had a quiet table in the back.Special Features:
- pooorrr waiterGustavSpeedVIPDined on 2/26/2011Our waiter was awful. He could not complete 3 of 7 orders and one he had to bring out so late all other food was cold. Thus the cold burger was not the best and I can not really comment on the food quality. The pulsating loud rock music made it hard to carry on a conversation.
- On our first trip here a monthDiningDuoVIPDined on 2/25/2011On our first trip here a month ago, everything was perfect. On our second trip, the food was still quite good (fantastic spinach salads, perfectly cooked buffalo burger - and wow, the burgers here are truly great); the beer list remains a big highlight; and the service is knowledgeable, friendly, and professional. This time, however, the music was way too loud, and the table-for-two was so cramped and uncomfortable we decided to leave early rather than have another beer, or dessert. Next time we'll ask for a booth, but the too-loud music might keep us from making this a regular stop, which is too bad since we live in the neighborhood and that was our original plan. (P.S. to Open Table, need to add ability to check "Notable Beer List")Special Features:
- Great English pub-like atmosphereMLArtistVIPDined on 2/13/2011Great English pub-like atmosphere with but with a more varied menu, food is very good, EXCELLENT service. Very nice. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- If your sever is named Dimitri...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/12/2011As always the burgers were great and the beer selection was on point, however our server was not. From the time we were seated until we were able to first place an order was 25 minutes. This should have been an omen. Throughout the night he managed to spill beers on two people, confuse or orders, drop several glasses from other tables, was incapable of standing upright without swaying or leaning,made inappropriate comments, slurred his speech...he was either A)suffering from head injury or B)intoxicated, the table unanimously went with B. The manager, Ryan, did an exceptional job of handling the situation once alerted, but if you go to Thunder Burger and your server is named Dimitri...don't say you weren't warned.
- Excellent beef burger andMsFussyVIPDined on 2/11/2011Excellent beef burger and turkey burger. Excellent sweet potato fries and excellent side salad.
- Does burgers very well (asOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2011Does burgers very well (as in they're good, not on a medium/rare scale). If I want a burger, I'll definitely go back. Also has 23 beers on draft, so if I wanted a beer I'd go to.Special Features:
- Very fun casual hangout withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/4/2011Very fun casual hangout with quality food. The decor is truly unique and adds to the experience!Special Features:
- Great if you're looking forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/29/2011Great if you're looking for a place to have a drink and eat a tasty burger...which is a surprisingly rare combination. The burgers aren't the best I've ever had, but they ARE the best burgers I've had in a place that also sells a wide variety of beers and bourbons.Special Features:
- This is a fun, lively spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2011This is a fun, lively spot with delicious burgers (made from free range cattle for those concerned about eating organic) and many choices of beer. The restaurant has lots of positive energy.Special Features:
- Very cute! The food was delish.JoseiDined on 1/23/2011Very cute! The food was delish. The staff was outstanding. The atmosphere was fun & eclectic. My only compliant is that we didn't try Thunder Burger sooner duh!!!Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back ...DiningDuoVIPDined on 1/15/2011Our first visit, planned on a whim, was perfect -- great table (booth next to the wall), friendly staff, VERY professional service, wonderful food expertly prepared, and ambiance. The burgers were fantastic (we tried the boar and bison) -- big, but not too big, prepared exactly to order, and REALLY tasty. Even the buns were good, and sides can be substituted easily. A dieter among us had the spinach/goat cheese salad and blackened salmon - both were outstanding. The spinach salad is big enough for a full meal. Beer list is great fun - I'm partial to Belgians, and the selection and size-options were just right. Lastly, if, like us, you hate too-loud music -- this place gets it right, continually adjusting volume for crowd size.Special Features: