Thunder Burger & Bar
3056 M St NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Thunder Burger & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thunderburger.com/
- Phone: 2023332888
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00am, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am *Limited Bar Menu Available For One Hour After Kitchen Closes
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Cross Street: 31st St
- Public Transit: Thunder Burger is located approximately .75 miles from both the Foggy Bottom and Rosslyn Metro stations. The Georgetown Metro Connect, the Circulator Bus and the "30"s" Metrobuses all stop within 1/2 block of the restaurant, in front of the Georgetown Barnes & Noble (east-bound) or at the corner of M and 31st St (west-bound).
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Colonial Parking operates an open-air parking lot directly across M St from Thunder Burger, as well as a garage right around the corner on 31st St. In addition there are several other public lots within a very short walk of Thunder Burger.
A word from Thunder Burger & Bar
Thunder Burger & Bar brings an edgy, rock & roll dining experience to the heart of Georgetown. Our mouthwateringly juicy and generously sized signature burgers are affordable works of art. A full selection of appetizers, refreshing salads, creative entrees and decadent home-made desserts offer a variety of dining options. Whether seated at the trendy bar, the graffiti highlighted banquettes and booths, or our ivy covered library room, sample from a large selection of American craft micro-brew beers and fine whiskeys. No matter the occasion, intimate dates, groups and families alike, enjoy the comfortable and energetic atmosphere with highly attentive service. Weekend Brunch now available, and a late-night menu is also available every evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Thunder Burger & Bar - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
Thunder Burger & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (19)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (12)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Awesome place for a party.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2012We sat in the backroom for our party - which was fantastic. Had a lovely time. The BF did not love his burger but everyone else thought theirs was fantastic.
- Delicious Burgers, Great Options!FoodieonvacayDined on 9/15/2012This is a great restaurant, with lots of unique options for people looking for a great burger. The service was good, and the ambiance and noise level were nice for conversation. Will definitely be going there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my fave in georgetownOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2012Prompt service. Good food. Great music selection. Very accomodating letting dining room guests partake of happy hour specials. That is rare. This is my first choice for good affordable food with good service and a great beverage selection whenever I plan on dining in Georgetown.
- Good food, service, and atmosphere.robert253VIPDined on 9/2/2012Good food, service, and atmosphere. Everyone is very friendly and the meals, especially the burgers, are excellent, particularly for the price. It's great for a casual group.Special Features:
- Great hot spot for burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2012Great hot spot for burgers and fries with style. I almost ever consider burger and fries as lunch, but in this case I can make an exception.Special Features:
- We eat out frequently andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2012We eat out frequently and were expecting just another burger joint. What a pleasant surprise to find such a wide variety of gourmet food and beers. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Good burger, not the bestForgtNamesIUsedVIPDined on 7/28/2012Good burger, not the best I've ever had but good with a wide selection of toppings. I would certainly return if in the neighborhood. I appreciate the fact they are on Open Table.Special Features:
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/24/2012I will not be returning to this establishment. The bartender was the most unengaging individual I have ever encountered whose job is to give good service and receive a good tip. The calamari looked like it was cooked in very old grease and I did not eat it. The bartender didn't inquire why I did not eat it he just took it and threw it away (yes I was still charged for the untouched calamari). The drinks were fine but the bartender made the whole experience uncomfortable as if he did not want anyone at his bar. It wasn't only me, I watched as he robotically moved across the bar area. The place and happy hour menu looked appealing, but the bartender ruined the whole feel of the place.
- I had a very good burger andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012I had a very good burger and fries for a reasonable price ($16). I had the "Love Me Tender" burger and recommend it highly. It is Kobe beef. Sweet potato fries and regular fries both very good. If we are in the city again, we would certainly go back.
- disappointing. mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2012disappointing. mediocre food and drinks. poor service, though they try hard.
- Best burger I've had in aOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/13/2012Best burger I've had in a long time. My daughter (a vegetarian) was pleased with her food as well.Special Features:
- Great food.. It just gets busy!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/13/2012Great food.. Only problem was they were understaffed. We waited 30 minutes for our check (we couldn't find our waiter!) and never got a water refill after the first fill-up. It was a Friday night, so they might have been better off with another waiter or two on the floor. Food is excellent though - just wish we had been given a dessert menu at some point!Special Features:
- After having read severalEsussnaVIPDined on 7/8/2012After having read several reviews, I had great expectations for the burgers. Much to my disappointment, our burgers were surprisingly tasteless. I've had much better elsewhere!
- My husband's burger was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/7/2012My husband's burger was great and I wanted to thank the staff for accomondating my food needs. Great service.Special Features:
- I have mixed feelings on ThunderChicagoToDCVIPDined on 7/6/2012I have mixed feelings on Thunder Burger. The food is delicious and inventive. The elk burger is amazing and the falafel with cucumber dill sauce is a great vegetarian option. However, the service is sort of lackluster. After taking our order, our server came back to tell us that they were out of Jack Daniels for a Jack and Diet Coke. OK. No biggie. Then minutes later they told us that they were out of the tuna burger that I ordered. So I don't know if there's a lack of communication between front of house and back of the house, but those guys need to talk more. Also, please crank the a/c up when it's 95 outside at 8 p.m. Again, the food is amazing. There's just some minor quirks to the service.Special Features:
- Best burger aroundISOGoodFoodDined on 6/30/2012I love a good burger and Thunder Burger has the best one around. It is delicious. My husband and I each had a cheeseburger customized to our tastes and enjoyed every bite. As sides, we ordered the regular french fries and the sweet potato fries. Both are cooked just right and tasted great. Their burgers never disappoint and the style of the place is rock eclectic.Special Features:
- Great burgers!mom1964Dined on 6/27/2012Very generous with burger toppings. Can get sloppy if you over top your burger. The burgers were delicious.Special Features:
- I always enjoy coming to thisrobert253VIPDined on 6/23/2012I always enjoy coming to this restaurant. The burgers are outstanding and I had a number of other selections on the menu that have been very good. The beer selection is very broad and the prices are reasonable. It's a great find in Georgetown for a night out with friends and family.Special Features:
- Might sound weird that a burgerLikeISeeItVIPDined on 6/20/2012Might sound weird that a burger place is fit for foodies, but these are really excellent burgers. Build your own with some really interesting ingredients(roasted poblanos) or choose one of the signature creations(kobe burger). Well done and wait staff was great. Cool interior. Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Not impressedRWinDCVIPDined on 6/13/2012I've been to Thunder Burger two times and neither time I left feeling that impressed. I do like the idea of a trendy burger spot and the menu looks to have some really good options. But, the first time I ate there, I tried a chicken, asian salad. I know I'm in a burger spot, but I'm always on the hunt for a great salad! Well, the salad was pretty blah and the chicken was not seasoned...very disappointing. But, I decided to give them another shot. So, this past week, I went there and order a thunder burger. The burger was fine - not great, but not bad. However, the fries were cold and my burger bun was soggy. So, I don't think I will be back...I think there are plenty of other great burger spots in the area.
- They have great eggs b andCamPVIPDined on 6/10/2012They have great eggs b and the bacon is usually great-- both were good this time, but not as good as normal...the service is spot-on and the coffee refills keep coming :)Special Features:
- Specialty burgers of all kinds.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2012Specialty burgers of all kinds. Buffalo, Elk, Kobe beef as well as regular burgers. All quite tasty!!Special Features:
- Best Burgers.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2012Amazing. I've been here multiple times and the burgers are always outstanding. The burgers are the best because they are cooked perfectly every time and you can get the burgers exactly how you want them. The sides are not anything special, but you come for the burgers, not the fries. The beer list is always good as well and I have never had bad service. I highly recommend Thunderburger.Special Features:
- Good casual foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/20/2012A fun place to go for some basic, good food. My Kobe beef burger was excellent, and the accompanying Caesar salad was also tasty. Service was friendly and quick--though the waiter never did bring my companion a lemon for his water. Recommended for a casual lunch or dinner. Nice place!Special Features:
- I ordered a burger with tomatoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/18/2012I ordered a burger with tomato and caramelized onion relish, and a side of apple potato salad. My burger came without the relish and I got fries instead of potato salad. I would've sent it all back but I had to make a movie down the street. The quality of the cooking was decent. When the itemized check came, the correct items were listed. So, way to go on the QC at the pickup station. Let's not get orders mixed up, shall we? Also, it's pointless to run the A/C and have the front door and windows open. Close up everything so that it stays cool inside when it's hot out (which it was yesterday).
- Delicious food, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2012Delicious food, excellent service, great beer selection, and all around amazing restaurant!Special Features:
- Really had a great time atOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2012Really had a great time at Thunder Burger! I hate trying to find parking in Georgetown, but the great food and awesome beer selection made it worthwhile. Would definitely recommend for a casual dinnerSpecial Features:
- Perhaps the greatest burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2012Perhaps the greatest burger I've ever had; the various styles/toppings for burgers is amazing. Great beer also.Special Features:
- a wide range of interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2012a wide range of interesting burgers, including elk and buffalo burgers. Burgers are lean and tasty. The one shortcoming is the quality of the draft beers. Beer list was pretty good, but both of the beers I got were not the freshest. Service was very good.
- I went there with coworkersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2012I went there with coworkers and friends to celebrate my birthday and the evening was great! Ryan, our waiter, was attentive and able to quickly handle our large group.Special Features:
- Since this restaurant opened,robert253VIPDined on 4/17/2012Since this restaurant opened, my friends and I enjoy coming here for both dinner and brunch. The food is well prepared and there is good service from the staff. It's a welcome additional to M Street.Special Features:
- Good and bad!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2012Service was excellent and the food was very good, but the noise made it almost impossible to have a decent conversation...which was unfortunate because my friend from Ecuador speaks quickly and it was very difficult to hear him.
- One of the best burgers I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2012One of the best burgers I've ever had. The Thunder Burger and Bar was a great find in Georgetown. Prices were fantastic and portions were good sized. Only complaint is the back room was very warm on a 73 degree spring day.Special Features:
- Good, but not GreatshikDined on 3/25/2012The brunch menu was *okay* - their burgers are much better than their eggs benedict, but the decor and the blood marys were great (although the latter, a little weak).Special Features:
- Testy but very loud for FridayRTJSDined on 3/23/2012Testy but very loud for Friday dinner. The acoustic of the small room is very bad and every sound becomes loudly and noisily. I would definitely go back, but probably pick a quite day.Special Features:
- Nice place to grab a burgerFFRegularVIPDined on 3/22/2012Nice place to grab a burger and the happy hour is great...Mon - Fri...reduced bar drinks plus nice list of appetizer discountsSpecial Features:
- Our group had a great timerobert253VIPDined on 3/18/2012Our group had a great time for brunch at Thunder Burger. The food was excellent and they had a diverse menu, which surprised us. I've been to this restaurant for three different occassions and each time the food was well prepared, the service was of high quality, and people were friendly. A good choice on M Street.Special Features:
- Ask for Ryan to be your waiterRockmanVIPDined on 3/17/2012We had 11 people for brunch and they handled the reservation no problem and had a great table waiting for us in the back. However, because it was such a big group, gratuity was included in the check and the waiter made absolutely no effort to give us even decent service because he knew that he didn't have to work for it. At one point, we asked him to take a photo for us because it was a special occasion (several people were visiting from out of town) and he said "No, no, no, I'm too busy." Luckily, another waiter agreed to take the picture later on. Ryan is the only waiter you want to have at Thunder! Don't let anybody else be your waiter.Special Features:
- GRESAT turkey burger and GREATfoodieVIPDined on 3/16/2012GRESAT turkey burger and GREAT salad AND reasonable !!! we totally enjoyed it and will returnSpecial Features:
- I was looking for somethingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/3/2012I was looking for something different and I found it! My family is pretty picky and everyone loved their meals.Special Features: