The Goose American Bistro and Bar
972 Post Road
Darien, CT 06820Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Goose American Bistro and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thegoosedarien.com/
- Phone: 2036562600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Piergiorgio Nanni
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room for up to 40 guests. Perfect for business meetings, wedding rehearsals, showers.
Bar rentals for up to 90 Guests
Full Restaurant rentals for up to 150 people
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Polidoro 2036562600
- Entertainment: The New Classic Eating and Drinking Destination in Darien, Ct. Located in the center of Darien steps away from the Darien Metro North station. The historic bar dates to the late 1800's and was reportedly owned by Augustus Bush of Anheuser-bush.
- Cross Street: Center Street
- Public Transit: We are across the street from Darien Metro North station, just 50 minutes from Grand Central Terminal.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 2 and 3 hour parking spots in the Center Street South and North parking lots for lunch. For dinner, there is no time restriction.
We have Valet on Thursday, Friday, & Saturday Nights
A word from The Goose American Bistro and Bar
The New Classic Eating and Drinking Destination in Darien, Ct. Located in the center of Darien steps away from the Darien Metro North station. The historic bar dates to the late 1800's and was reportedly owned by Augustus Bush of Anheuser-bush.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
The Goose American Bistro and Bar - Best Restaurants in Darien ›
The Goose American Bistro and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (6)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- The Goose is a popular meetingluv2dineDined on 3/2/2013The Goose is a popular meeting place for locals and people from further afield alike. Definately worth a visit, whether to take in the vibrant bar scene, or to enjoy a quieter evening in the main restaurant.Special Features:
- far too slow. one waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013far too slow. one waitress for way too many tables. lots of staff just standing around. but the food was very good. next time, they need to have more attention to the tables by the waitress. it took so long to clear our table we didn't want coffee.Special Features:
- Not impressed with first-time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2012First time trying out this signature Darien restaurant. We were both very disappointed. Had dinner around 7PM on a Friday night and it felt like a McDonalds. SO many little kids. The middle of the dining room was available, and we (two young men) were sat in the corner by a table of kids who were running around. Food was just okay. I had the bacon-wrapped, stuffed pork. Pork was tasteless and way too much melted cheese on top to mask the blandness. Dining companion had steak frites. Meat was cooked properly, but hollandaise sauce tasted cheap and like it was out of a jar. Truffle mac and cheese was amazing, but at $13, a tad expensive for what it was. Getting bus boys to re-fill our water glasses was quite the challenge.Server very nice!
- The Goose is always a solidOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012The Goose is always a solid choice. It never disappoints.nSpecial Features:
- Good solid menu. Food is consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/28/2012Good solid menu. Food is consistently good. There is something for everyone. Local gemSpecial Features:
- We had a business lunch andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2012We had a business lunch and the location was key. We will be back. May try the bar area next. regards
- High quality food and a goodLamjVIPDined on 8/3/2012High quality food and a good kid atmosphere. Really enjoyed the sliders.Special Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012Went to The Goose for a business meeting with some colleagues from work. Food was excellent! Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu as well as the specials and took great care of us. We sat in a big booth that gave us enough room to eat and work. I will definitely come back with my wife and kids. Try the Lobster Sliders!Special Features:
- We decided to go back to TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012We decided to go back to The Goose for a second time this week because we liked it so much the first time. The food was just delicious. We both enjoyed our meals very much and the atmosphere was warm and inviting. We ended up having the same wonderful waitress both times and she was outstanding. We look forward to our next visit very soon!Special Features:
- Saturday Night at the GooseAT123VIPDined on 7/21/2012The Goose was quiet for a Saturday night at 7 PM. Ate outside on the patio. Husband and I both had the crab chowder which was tasty with morsels of crab, corn and bacon. He had a burger and fries while I had the salad with salmon on top. His burger was good but not remarkable and fries were tasty but were mostly the 'stubs' at the end of a batch....why even send those out of the kitchen? My salad was good and the salmon was cooked med-rare as I had requested. Overall, a reliable neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- Very good neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2012Very good neighborhood restaurant in Darien recommended to me by a friend. Enormous wooden bar was full of people. Numerous families with kids dotted tables near the bar.We ate in the separate dining room which was not too busy ; as the manager told us, get the Italian specialties. Husband had the pork wrapped in pancetta and said it was delicious. My friend had papppardelle pasta with a red sauce and she loved it ( and she was born in Italy). I had a turkey club with good sweet potato fries. Our fourth had a wonderful clams in red sauce dish which he also liked. Portions were hearty. Bread and wine were good. I would definitely go back with a group because of delicious food, good ambiance and moderate prices.Special Features:
- At 11:30 we arrived as perOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2012At 11:30 we arrived as per our reservation: we were told that they were not ready & we had to wait outside for 10+ minutes. Once in, there were only 3-4 tables & yet we waited some time to give our order. After ordering, we waited 1/2 hr. for food. Omelette awful & eggs benedict returned due to overdoneness. We had to ask for tea and coffee. Tea was cold by the time food came. Imagine if the restaurant had been full! Server was unattentive at best. had to keep signaling to get her to us. Won't go back.
- Good choice for casual neighborhooddirose7VIPDined on 6/15/2012Good choice for casual neighborhood dining in Darien. Attractive space and attentive staff.Upscale pub food. Had the blackened groper, tasty and nicely prepared. They could use a bit more variety on the menu. Will return.Special Features:
- We have seen a notable declineOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/30/2012We have seen a notable decline in the quality and presentation of the food being served over the past 2 years. The last time we had a good meal there was about a year ago. We no longer eat at this restaurant, and not willing to give it another try. Also, every time I'm doing errands in the area during the day, I see your cooks/chefs smoking outside. I do not want a smoker preparing or touching the food me and my family eats. The same goes for servers (I don't want to smell smoke on their clothes).
- Service was a good, but 1/2OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/26/2012Service was a good, but 1/2 way through our original server left and didn't say goodbye or introduce us to the new server. Food was ok, mussels small plate was very good. Creme brûlée wasn't great, colder than should have been and asparagus risotto was bland. Would maybe go back for a second chance.
- Service was great!!! The waitressLynnDined on 5/13/2012Service was great!!! The waitress was helpful, patient, friendly and very accomodating! The food was very good; all four of us were very happy with our choices. Menu had many options and we enjoyed our Mother's Day lunch very much! We will definitely return!!Special Features:
- We appreciated that the GooseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012We appreciated that the Goose had it's regular menu on Mothers Day. Many choices at fair prices. Some choices better than others. Service a little scattered as we were among the first diners to be there. Overall a good neighborhood casual restaurant for inexpensive family dining.Special Features:
- Nice place with good food and serviOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2012Nice casual place to go for drinks or dinner. Sometimes they have music. You can eat in the restaurant or bar area. It is a great place to go if you want to have a quick, yet good meal. It is also a good place to go for drinks with friends.Special Features:
- Don't missAllieDined on 4/28/2012Best joint in Darien, hands down. Great food, great bar scene. Love it!Special Features:
- Great food and service. ImsmouseDined on 4/22/2012Great food and service. I would highly recommend the Goose for lunh or dinner!Special Features:
- Food has improved since ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/18/2012Food has improved since our first visit six months ago. Atmosphere is quite nice and the prices are reasonable. Hard to beat, a good choice in Darien.Special Features:
- upscale pub food. BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/17/2012upscale pub food. Better than expected, but not fantasticSpecial Features:
- The Darien standardprestonbDined on 3/2/2012It's become the standard spot to meet in Darien, and people come from out of town too. One of the nicest-looking back bars in Connecticut, imported from somewhere in Europe. Ever-improving menu, always something new, and rather inventive, but you can always get a burger or a great grilled chicken sandwich. I ordered pizza about six times in a row, another excellent standard.Special Features:
- Food was good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/29/2012Food was good but not great. Mediterranean salad had interesting touches (delicious grilled shrimp) but overall was somewhat bland. Service was excellent. Love the restaurant building and the location.Special Features:
- Unpretentious, imaginativeANH1983VIPDined on 2/11/2012Unpretentious, imaginative and good food, reasonably price, great service. A bit noisy as the evening evolved.Special Features:
- The Goose felt like an upscaleAmersDined on 2/4/2012The Goose felt like an upscale local bar bistrol...great food in a neighborhood "where everybody knows your name" location, also surprisingly kid friendly too (although they do seem to chorale the families with young children into one specific room). Loved the lobster sliders and Brooklyn lager on tap. Would definitely return...the bar area had a great ambiance.Special Features:
- Terrific restaurant! It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2012Terrific restaurant! It was a recommendation from my daughter. My husband and I will definitely be going back for dinner.Special Features:
- Three separate areas: TwoFancyNancyDined on 1/16/2012Three separate areas: Two different dining rooms flanking the bar/restaurant area-- very different experiences depending on which area you are in. The dedicated dining areas can be noisy with families and young children, while the bar area is always crowded and noisy with "the bar scene." Great menu with something for everyone, and the food is always good.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/15/2011Great sliders, salads, soups and desserts. We had a wonderful birthday celebration for a friend. The waitress was very attentive, but didn't rush us at all. Fabulous place for lunch or Dinner.Special Features:
- Food was very good but weOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/18/2011Food was very good but we waited way to long for it and finally had to ask the waiter for it. Noise level was really unbearable and I would not return due to both of these reasons
- went here for lunch with ancaltiedDined on 11/17/2011went here for lunch with an old friend and enjoyed the meal very much ... great atmosphere and the food was very well thought out ... the waitress was a little discombobulated on our trip there, but I got the impression that was an aberration and not the norm ... would definitely go back for lunch again and am looking forward to trying it out for dinner as well one night ...Special Features:
- Beet salad was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2011Beet salad was excellent, so was the key lime pie. The entrees were not up to the same standard, though still nice. The orange sauce was.....orange, with no taste. The duck was well cooked, maybe a bit too much, but I enjoy it that way. Service was fine, they attended to your needs without being overly in your face. We ate on Saturday at 7pm and there were still families with young kids in the restaurant while we were eating. Not the place for a romantic night out.Special Features:
- A good place to go for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/4/2011A good place to go for lunch or dinner if you live nearby, not spectacular, but solid.
- Great food, service and ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2011Great food, service and ambiance! Good job living up to the expectations of replacing The Black Goose!Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood spotmsmouseDined on 10/28/2011The Goose was a terrific find! World class food in a casual, fun, environment. The menu has so many choices and everything we ordered was terrific. Don't forget to leave room for dessert. The wine list was excellentSpecial Features:
- A Great Bistro Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2011A few weeks ago, a colleague picked out The Goose as a half-way spot to meet for lunch. I was very taken by the imaginative edge that seemed to enliven all the food -- right down to the salads. So, I took my wife and a good friend back for dinner this weekend, and I must say that it was even better. The toppings on the salmon were fresh and fabulous, my wife's salad had an incredibly light yet flavorful dressing and the drinks were great. They clearly put thought and their own little touches into every dish -- and the effort and care really shows. In addition, we had one of those rare waiters who knew every dish, and was helpful and courteous, without being obsequious. This has to be one of the best bistro dining experience ConnecticuSpecial Features:
- Loved the ambiance, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2011Loved the ambiance, great service and corn-crab chowder. Everything else we ordered, though, was good, but not great.Special Features:
- This place is fine...not badSirdinealotVIPDined on 6/28/2011This place is fine...not bad but not really good either, just fine.
- Good classics--burger, lobsterExperiencedDined on 6/19/2011Good classics--burger, lobster sliders, fries. Large portion sizes.Special Features:
- Really nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2011My family and I went for Father's day to have a late brunch/lunch. The service was great and the food was delicious. I also felt the prices were very affordable. I will definitely be going back.Special Features: