246 E. 51st Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ammanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126448330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12:00pm-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Corporate meetings, weddings, birthday and parties of any kind. Parties of any size.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for all
- Private Party Contact: Anju Sharma 2126448330
A word from Amma
Amma, the name means "Mother", is an intimate restaurant and has the same soothing qualities. Opened in 2002 by Anju Sharma, is a gem tucked away on the upper east side of Manhattan, the stylish restaurant evokes images of spices, with its ochre colored walls and sensuous red-orange suede wrap-around banquettes. Art deco chandeliers and pristine linens complete the ambience. In a short period of time, Amma has received numerous accolades from the press. Amma was rated "Two Stars" by Mr. William Grimes of NY Times. At Amma, the wine list is updated on a weekly basis and is carefully chosen from 30 countries from around the world. Amma, shows its guest a different India, so old that it is fresh.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amma reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (30)great for lunch (17)special occasion (17)notable wine list (11)good for groups (7)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- A cutta aboveEdosDined on 2/16/2014A noteworthy place to go for superior quality Indian cuisine, The atmosphere is nice but a bit cramped. Service is helpful but tends to watch you too attentively. Consider ordering the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Amma is the best high end indian in nyc. Delicious and always satisfies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValentinesEvanDined on 2/14/2014They called us twice to confirm reservation. The 2nd time they called they threatened to give our table away if we were five minutes late. We were early and our table was ready. Unfortunately they only offered a special valentines menu and not the regular menu. For $50 a person you got lots of food. Food was good. Would go back to try regular menu.
- slipping offlive2eatDined on 2/8/2014I've eaten at Amma about 6-7 times, and the food has always been good, but the last two times the last has been slipping off. The food used to have a nice flavor. But lately is kind of bland. SService is great as usual. And so is the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rather boring food, cramped space.PageDined on 1/30/2014Everyone was very nice We had a very good table up by the window but if we had been put in the back, we would have left. Too close quarters and dark. My husband's Goan fish curry was interesting. My lamb rogan josh was not. I realize this is an older restaurant and the sanitary facilities are probably "grandfathered" but the final straw for me was ONE toilet for the entire staff and all the guests. NO! We will not be back.
- A good findMrCreosoteDined on 1/25/2014My wife and I were introduced to Amma by friends, who suggested it as a good Indian restaurant. Not being Indian cuisine experts, we went along with them prepared to be pleased (why else dine out?), and indeed we were: all four of us. Care in preparation, presentation and the right amount of personal inventive in the menu, with none of the arrogance of the self-centered creative in search of fame - a temptation that requires character to resist, in Manhattan. We were helped kindly and patiently as we tried to make our minds while conversing. If anything, we felt a trifle too cozy in a room that could have been filled a tad less, if comfort had been the only concern. But then, it was a Saturday evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great service!CharlotteDined on 1/24/2014We don't have an Indian restaurant in our town, so we always seek out Indian food when we travel. Amma's was cozy and nicely decorated. I had the chicken tikka masala and my hubby had a lamb dish. Both were wonderful (as was the fried okra side dish).if you've got a craving for Indian food, go to Ammas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good Indian food in MidtownFoodie514Dined on 1/13/2014When in NYC we like to take advantage of all the ethnic options, and this one was very good. I needed some recommendations and the staff was very helpful. We ordered Chicken Tandoor and Saag Paneer. The half chicken was cooked so perfectly and the yogurt and spices that were in the marinade made for a very moist and flavorful dish. The Saag Paneer, with big chunks of cheese, was a perfect pairing for the chicken. We started with trio of vegetarian samosas and they were so good too. We were also given a small taste of a vegetarian appetizer which was a treat from the chef. Very nice. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The food was - as usual -EmGeeDined on 1/13/2014The food was - as usual - excellent. While their a la carte menu for dinner can be a little pricey, Amma is a great place for above average north and south Indian food that is light years ahead most other places in the city. The iddly upma is wonderful - what a great idea to combine the two!Special Features:
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/3/2014We had the 50 dollar Tasting Menu for 4 people and the overall check was for 280 bucks with wine. The food was good but not that great that I would like to visit again. We had a Cottage Cheeze dish where the cottage cheese was very hard. Even on complaining we did not get any proper response from the server. Overall the place is good but does not justify the cost. Rather should had gone for the ala carte menu.Special Features:
- Welcome to IndiaSalliVIPDined on 12/31/2013New Year's Eve was handled in a very pleasant low key manner with a prix fixe dinner including 5 appetizers and a choice of one main course, and then a choice of one of 3 desserts. The service was attentive and caring. A welcoming atmosphere and experience. Only drawback was no Poori bread, but in an effort to amend that, another bread was provided gratis, which was not necessary but left me with the impression that pleasing the diner was very important to the service staff. A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemSusanDined on 12/31/2013Just steps from my apartment, Amma never fails to draw me back. The New Year's Eve tasting menu was go good, I would do it again next year.Special Features:
- Great Lunch Experience!DesignerDinerVIPDined on 12/26/2013Three of us enjoyed lunch at Amma-- we chose the $16.95, 3-course with tandoori chicken--- sooo moist and delicious with fabulous dal that put a previous version from another Indian restaurant to shame! We enjoyed their appetizers and ordered an additional spinach dish and two desserts. All in all, the food was excellent, much better than Amma's Lexington Avenue competition. The service was quite good and the decor was comfortable and nice, except that their entry door opens directly into the room which was a little awkward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!BeachohmDined on 12/25/2013My husband and I were in New York for Christmas and were looking for a good restaurant open on Christmas day. We found Amma on Yelp. The reviews were mostly good, so we thought we'd give it a try. We ended up extremely happy we went. We had made a reservation so our table was waiting for us. The food was delicious - the butter chicken and saag paneer were so yummy. We added samosas, garlic naan, and raita to complete our meal. Everything was wonderful. Good service, not too loud. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Amma.
- Delicious Indian!AllisonVIPDined on 12/21/2013I think this is among the best Indian I've ever eaten in the city. The waitstaff was attentive, and even spooned the different dishes out among our plates! The biggest disappointment is that they didn't have the bottle of wine that we wanted, and it took a few minutes for them to come back and let us know that. While the restaurant isn't overly impressive in terms of the decor, boy is the food delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMikeJDined on 12/18/2013Great food and service. Perfect for one, two, or a small group. Will visit again and again.Special Features:
- must tryfoodenthusiastDined on 12/13/2013I love ethnic foods of every variety. One of my favorites is Indian. On this occasion I was lucky enough to be with enough friends to try a great variety since my favorite way too have Indian is family-style and share everything! The one item that disappointed was the Cochin Crab Cakes, simply boring. From there everything went to wonderfully flavorful. The Trio of Southern rices (mint, lemon and tomato), Lamb Biryaani (garam masala) were perfect & the Roti & Onion kulcha excellent. Daal Makhani, Cumin scented potatos, Kararee Bhindi, my favorite Saag paneer. The chicken dishes were each delightful: Chicken Xacuti (spicy) amazing, Butter Chicken, and Madras Chicken. Staff was accommodating, pleasant, thoughtful. I certainly would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; rude serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Had a great dinner with friends here. However, the service was rather aloof and rude. When I arrived, I was seated at my table, but a waiter did not come by for at least 10 minutes to ask me for a drink. I wanted to order a bottle of wine to have it ready when the rest of my party arrived. This lack of service was quite surprising at a place like this. None of the waiters seemed to care that we were there and often would go 10-15 minutes without even checking in at the table. Food was delicious, but due to the service I'm not sure if I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was great-many dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013food was great-many dishes not on other Indian restaurants service very goodSpecial Features:
- AMMAsineimageDined on 12/5/2013Terrific dinner. Good service. Price OK for NYC, about $100 for a really good dinner, with drinks, for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian HighlightNikohDined on 11/29/2013Gourmet like Indian Food, best you can get in nyc! Whenever we come to New York, amma is a must!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and differentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013Superb food of the highest quality, somewhat different than most Indian cuisine, more elegant and sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Inspired DishesSalilDined on 11/28/2013Great Indian inspired dishes that continue to be great over the years. Have gone with my family over several years, and continue to be pleased with every visit.Special Features:
- Nice southern indian foodFrogiesDined on 11/27/2013Nothing totally exceptional here, good average quality of food. Nice selection. Just make sure your order is well understood by the waiter (ours was very soft spoken, which might be why we had two misunderstandings on what we had ordered).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong moveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2013I always love the food at Amma and the people, but the reason I gave them a good instead of very good, is they asked us to leave because they needed our table, and I haven't finished my tea yet, which I found very rude, and I had guests with me and this was their first time at this restaurant. Am really not sure I want to go back there anymore.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding;BenSahnDined on 11/22/2013The food was outstanding; some of the best Indian food we have had in the U.S. We had a very long wait to get the first course at lunch. Other than that, the service was fine.Special Features:
- Always Amazing AmmaKimGVIPDined on 11/12/2013My husband and I adore Amma. Every time we want to treat friends to a wonderful dining experience, we bring them to Amma. The delicious food and the attentive service always hits the mark (a special mention to the ever-fabulous Ricky--thank you, as always!). Each dish we have enjoyed is excellent, but special kudos go to the Spinach Chaat (tiers of crispy spinach and plump mung beans), Kararee Bhindi (this dish will make you fall in love with okra), Manchurian Cauliflower (sweet, tangy) and the Butter Chicken (melts in your mouth). You cannot go wrong at Amma, no matter what you order. So, I will keep coming back and I give this Indian jewel my most enthusiastic recommendation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice way to end hectic visit to NYNBFoodieDined on 11/10/2013Amma was perfect choice for a quiet leisurely meal after a busy holiday. Not many other diners; service was impeccable, perhaps a bit over attentive probably due to not enough activity for the staff! Food was wonderful, the tilapia in coconut sauce was the highlight along with the wonderful little donuts (don't recall the actual name of the dish) in honey. Waiter overheard my mention of my spouse's birthday coming up, and they presented us with a dessert, with Happy Birthday written on the plate with lovely sauce reductions. Wine recommendation was exceptional. Would return and would certainly recommend.Special Features:
- The Best Indian Food EverJillMVIPDined on 11/10/2013We happend upon this gem of a restaurant a few years back while visiting NYC and visit it every year when we return. The ambiance is fantastic as well as the food/service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and atmospherecarolDined on 11/9/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here. Everything was fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still our Favorite IndianAHARRADined on 10/27/2013Great food and fine service in a comfortable atmosphere. Manchurian cauliflower is our all-time favorite Indian dish. Tandori prawns are also outstanding.
- food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2013We had ordered it delivered to the office before, but I think it was even better in person. Both myself and my dining companion loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmmaReneeDined on 10/20/2013I have eaten a lot of Indian food but I cannot think of a finer dining experience. The cuisine was interesting and delicious. Service was superb. All in all, an experience I would not have missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Restaurant in NYCArtyWoman69VIPDined on 10/18/2013We had an excellent meal with terrific service. The dishes were elegant, supremely tasty, and well-portioned. Lunch special of 3 courses for $16.95 is well-priced and excellent! Go for lunch and give it a try. You will be delighted.Special Features:
- Table Time LimitAMMAHATERDined on 10/11/2013We were rushed through our meal as they kept asking us if we were finished and kept trying to take our plates away. After the bill was placed on the table, the host immediately returned and asked if we had settled it yet. When we replied no, he bluntly stated, "WELL...I NEED THIS TABLE." Our reservation was for 6:00pm. At this point, it was 7:45pm and we were just in the process of finishing our glass of water after the servers had cleared the table. NEVER IN MY 6 YEARS OF LIVING IN NYC HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED. I will not be returning to Amma.
- Asked to leave right after paying!EmGeeDined on 10/11/2013I've eaten at Amma for years. The food is always excellent, a real cut above what you find on East 6th St. or most of Curry Hill. When considering where to eat this past Friday night, I thought of Amma & saw on the website they have "Winter Restaurant Week 2013" lunch & dinner menus next to the others. I called on Thursday & asked the woman who answered if the winter restaurant week menus were in effect now & she said "Yes." Well, they're not, so we opted for the $50 tasting menu. Wonderful food & wine (we each had 2 glasses). Right after we paid the bill ($130+), I was showing my friend some photos I snapped that day & a waiter said to us "We need the table." We were shocked & offended. What a way to treat loyal customers!
- Superb ExperienceTonyDined on 10/8/2013This has been one of the best dining experience my wife and I had! Nothing went wrong, starting with the outstanding service from Ricky, the charming little place and of course the most important...the extraordinary flavors of India. I want to congratulate Amma for doing a perfect job!!! Will be back...!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant was surprisingly emptyEtcholaVIPDined on 10/6/2013Restaurant was empty, we were the only table which was surprising for a Sunday lunch. Anyway food was really good.Special Features:
- GREAT food, minor service lapseskjaopentableVIPDined on 10/1/2013I love Amma's food -- flavorful and aromatic from amuse bouche on! This was my 3rd time at Amma's; I have been very favorably impressed with the food each time. Generally, the service is outstanding, but it could be just a tad better. First, although I had reserved in advance, no table had been set aside for me. To seat me, they split a four-top in the center of the small dining area, directly under a bright light. It was not a very pleasant place to sit as a solo dinner. I would have expected them to set an appropriate table aside for my use. Second, my main course was served as soon as my appetizer was removed. A brief break would have been much appreciated. These are minor issues, though, and they will not prevent me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure what the hype was aboutLondonerDined on 10/1/2013Nice place, great service but average food. In fact it was actually disappointing as we read so many amazing reviews and were expecting excellence. Maybe it's because we live in London where the Indian food is very good? Maybe it's because we ordered from the lunch special menu rather than a la carte? Saying that, we had a nice time, and they were lovely to our 14 month old. It just wasn't a mind blowing experience.Special Features: