246 E. 51st Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ammanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126448330
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12:00pm-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Corporate meetings, weddings, birthday and parties of any kind. Parties of any size.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties for all
- Private Party Contact: Anju Sharma 2126448330
A word from Amma
Amma, the name means "Mother", is an intimate restaurant and has the same soothing qualities. Opened in 2002 by Anju Sharma, is a gem tucked away on the upper east side of Manhattan, the stylish restaurant evokes images of spices, with its ochre colored walls and sensuous red-orange suede wrap-around banquettes. Art deco chandeliers and pristine linens complete the ambience. In a short period of time, Amma has received numerous accolades from the press. Amma was rated "Two Stars" by Mr. William Grimes of NY Times. At Amma, the wine list is updated on a weekly basis and is carefully chosen from 30 countries from around the world. Amma, shows its guest a different India, so old that it is fresh.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Amma reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (23)special occasion (15)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (8)good for groups (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- must tryfoodenthusiastDined on 12/13/2013I love ethnic foods of every variety. One of my favorites is Indian. On this occasion I was lucky enough to be with enough friends to try a great variety since my favorite way too have Indian is family-style and share everything! The one item that disappointed was the Cochin Crab Cakes, simply boring. From there everything went to wonderfully flavorful. The Trio of Southern rices (mint, lemon and tomato), Lamb Biryaani (garam masala) were perfect & the Roti & Onion kulcha excellent. Daal Makhani, Cumin scented potatos, Kararee Bhindi, my favorite Saag paneer. The chicken dishes were each delightful: Chicken Xacuti (spicy) amazing, Butter Chicken, and Madras Chicken. Staff was accommodating, pleasant, thoughtful. I certainly would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; rude serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Had a great dinner with friends here. However, the service was rather aloof and rude. When I arrived, I was seated at my table, but a waiter did not come by for at least 10 minutes to ask me for a drink. I wanted to order a bottle of wine to have it ready when the rest of my party arrived. This lack of service was quite surprising at a place like this. None of the waiters seemed to care that we were there and often would go 10-15 minutes without even checking in at the table. Food was delicious, but due to the service I'm not sure if I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was great-many dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/6/2013food was great-many dishes not on other Indian restaurants service very goodSpecial Features:
- AMMAsineimageDined on 12/5/2013Terrific dinner. Good service. Price OK for NYC, about $100 for a really good dinner, with drinks, for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian HighlightNikohDined on 11/29/2013Gourmet like Indian Food, best you can get in nyc! Whenever we come to New York, amma is a must!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and differentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013Superb food of the highest quality, somewhat different than most Indian cuisine, more elegant and sophisticated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Inspired DishesSalilDined on 11/28/2013Great Indian inspired dishes that continue to be great over the years. Have gone with my family over several years, and continue to be pleased with every visit.Special Features:
- Nice southern indian foodFrogiesDined on 11/27/2013Nothing totally exceptional here, good average quality of food. Nice selection. Just make sure your order is well understood by the waiter (ours was very soft spoken, which might be why we had two misunderstandings on what we had ordered).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong moveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2013I always love the food at Amma and the people, but the reason I gave them a good instead of very good, is they asked us to leave because they needed our table, and I haven't finished my tea yet, which I found very rude, and I had guests with me and this was their first time at this restaurant. Am really not sure I want to go back there anymore.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding;BenSahnDined on 11/22/2013The food was outstanding; some of the best Indian food we have had in the U.S. We had a very long wait to get the first course at lunch. Other than that, the service was fine.Special Features:
- Always Amazing AmmaKimGVIPDined on 11/12/2013My husband and I adore Amma. Every time we want to treat friends to a wonderful dining experience, we bring them to Amma. The delicious food and the attentive service always hits the mark (a special mention to the ever-fabulous Ricky--thank you, as always!). Each dish we have enjoyed is excellent, but special kudos go to the Spinach Chaat (tiers of crispy spinach and plump mung beans), Kararee Bhindi (this dish will make you fall in love with okra), Manchurian Cauliflower (sweet, tangy) and the Butter Chicken (melts in your mouth). You cannot go wrong at Amma, no matter what you order. So, I will keep coming back and I give this Indian jewel my most enthusiastic recommendation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice way to end hectic visit to NYNBFoodieDined on 11/10/2013Amma was perfect choice for a quiet leisurely meal after a busy holiday. Not many other diners; service was impeccable, perhaps a bit over attentive probably due to not enough activity for the staff! Food was wonderful, the tilapia in coconut sauce was the highlight along with the wonderful little donuts (don't recall the actual name of the dish) in honey. Waiter overheard my mention of my spouse's birthday coming up, and they presented us with a dessert, with Happy Birthday written on the plate with lovely sauce reductions. Wine recommendation was exceptional. Would return and would certainly recommend.Special Features:
- The Best Indian Food EverJillMVIPDined on 11/10/2013We happend upon this gem of a restaurant a few years back while visiting NYC and visit it every year when we return. The ambiance is fantastic as well as the food/service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and atmospherecarolDined on 11/9/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here. Everything was fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still our Favorite IndianAHARRADined on 10/27/2013Great food and fine service in a comfortable atmosphere. Manchurian cauliflower is our all-time favorite Indian dish. Tandori prawns are also outstanding.
- food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2013We had ordered it delivered to the office before, but I think it was even better in person. Both myself and my dining companion loved the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmmaReneeDined on 10/20/2013I have eaten a lot of Indian food but I cannot think of a finer dining experience. The cuisine was interesting and delicious. Service was superb. All in all, an experience I would not have missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Restaurant in NYCArtyWoman69VIPDined on 10/18/2013We had an excellent meal with terrific service. The dishes were elegant, supremely tasty, and well-portioned. Lunch special of 3 courses for $16.95 is well-priced and excellent! Go for lunch and give it a try. You will be delighted.Special Features:
- Table Time LimitAMMAHATERDined on 10/11/2013We were rushed through our meal as they kept asking us if we were finished and kept trying to take our plates away. After the bill was placed on the table, the host immediately returned and asked if we had settled it yet. When we replied no, he bluntly stated, "WELL...I NEED THIS TABLE." Our reservation was for 6:00pm. At this point, it was 7:45pm and we were just in the process of finishing our glass of water after the servers had cleared the table. NEVER IN MY 6 YEARS OF LIVING IN NYC HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED. I will not be returning to Amma.
- Asked to leave right after paying!EmGeeDined on 10/11/2013I've eaten at Amma for years. The food is always excellent, a real cut above what you find on East 6th St. or most of Curry Hill. When considering where to eat this past Friday night, I thought of Amma & saw on the website they have "Winter Restaurant Week 2013" lunch & dinner menus next to the others. I called on Thursday & asked the woman who answered if the winter restaurant week menus were in effect now & she said "Yes." Well, they're not, so we opted for the $50 tasting menu. Wonderful food & wine (we each had 2 glasses). Right after we paid the bill ($130+), I was showing my friend some photos I snapped that day & a waiter said to us "We need the table." We were shocked & offended. What a way to treat loyal customers!
- Superb ExperienceTonyDined on 10/8/2013This has been one of the best dining experience my wife and I had! Nothing went wrong, starting with the outstanding service from Ricky, the charming little place and of course the most important...the extraordinary flavors of India. I want to congratulate Amma for doing a perfect job!!! Will be back...!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant was surprisingly emptyEtcholaVIPDined on 10/6/2013Restaurant was empty, we were the only table which was surprising for a Sunday lunch. Anyway food was really good.Special Features:
- GREAT food, minor service lapseskjaopentableVIPDined on 10/1/2013I love Amma's food -- flavorful and aromatic from amuse bouche on! This was my 3rd time at Amma's; I have been very favorably impressed with the food each time. Generally, the service is outstanding, but it could be just a tad better. First, although I had reserved in advance, no table had been set aside for me. To seat me, they split a four-top in the center of the small dining area, directly under a bright light. It was not a very pleasant place to sit as a solo dinner. I would have expected them to set an appropriate table aside for my use. Second, my main course was served as soon as my appetizer was removed. A brief break would have been much appreciated. These are minor issues, though, and they will not prevent me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not sure what the hype was aboutLondonerDined on 10/1/2013Nice place, great service but average food. In fact it was actually disappointing as we read so many amazing reviews and were expecting excellence. Maybe it's because we live in London where the Indian food is very good? Maybe it's because we ordered from the lunch special menu rather than a la carte? Saying that, we had a nice time, and they were lovely to our 14 month old. It just wasn't a mind blowing experience.Special Features:
- For the Indian paletteHarper500VIPDined on 9/28/2013Better than most neighborhood Indian restaurants, and priced accordingly. Not as creative as some, but samples a wide breadth of Indian cuisine.Special Features:
- Always good food. We wereExperiencedVIPDined on 9/16/2013Always good food. We were 10 minutes late and they had cancelled our Open Table reservation. Not cordial greeting. They were not very busy so this was hard to understand.Special Features:
- Great foodDinnerfor2VIPDined on 9/9/2013Nice spot for a typical Indian bite after a long day in NYC. Great for small groups or dining alone. Wine list is pretty good for an Indian place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitivamente es la mejorroqueDined on 9/3/2013Definitivamente es la mejor comida Hindu de la ciudad de New York a unos precios muy convenientesSpecial Features:
- Worth visitingButchDined on 8/31/2013Menu was quite a bit more limited than the usual Indian restaurant provides. The okra dish was outstanding!!!! Dress code was given as "business casual," but that was obviously not enforced in any way whatsoever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found a great Indian restaurantBBdinesDined on 8/21/2013Amman was wonderful - the food was outstanding - we did wait for Menus - and had to flag down waiter for check - bit all wrth the food- if you want good Indian than this is the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always solid at AmmaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2013One of my favorite Indian restaurants in the city. Quaint atmosphere and truly excellent food. The Halibut is always a slam dunk...big fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service and goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2013Service was excellent. Food was amazing, truly great Indian ResturtantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Compared to the other restaurantggggDined on 8/16/2013Compared to the other restaurant we dined at in the last 3 days this was not up the high standard we expected. we felt that we didn't get the extras that were served to the other tables and the wine glasses were only half full compared to what was served at other tables. The portions were small and food much too expensive for the experience. The server also seemed to brag that they were the top rated restaurant...which didn't seem to match our experience.
- Don't pass it byjanm29Dined on 8/8/2013This is a small restaurant in a brownstone that you might pass by if you did not know it was there. You would be missing a wonderful meal. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was great. Our waiter was helpful in suggestions from the menu and he did not steer us wrong. This is the best Indian food I have had in quite a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!GigiVIPDined on 8/2/2013We were referred by an Indian dentist we know and can't rave enough about it. A cozy spot with amazing food in the middle do midtown Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amma reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2013The food was good but I did not find the service welcoming. Also while I was there the kitchen staff came out and started eating in front of us. I probably won't go back..I've been to other places that are much more nicerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable diningraptorVIPDined on 7/31/2013Good menu , Great food , excellent service and HostI would recommend this to a friend.
- EHH.. there is better indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2013I had been wanting go to Amma after I had seen its high Zagat rating--and when I realized it was restaurant week and I get 3 course meal for $25, I was ecstatic. So went there for lunch on a Sunday, and the place looked dingy, with very odd entrance and decor. As soon as you enter (and it looks like you are opening a door to an old apt), you see tables lined--there is no reception area or anything like it. The waiters walk to the door when you stand awkwardly in 2 foot space you have as you close the door behind you. Food was good, but I would absolutely not pay regular price for it. Service was horrible slow, and it was not that there was huge crowd either. All in all I had high hopes for this play, but I didn't enjoy much.
- Sensual, complex, stimulating,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2013Sensual, complex, stimulating, delicious food that imparts a special glow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative!ammadinerDined on 7/26/2013We are veterans of many Indian restaurants. The cuisine at Amma was new, creative and excellent.