660 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fangrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157778568
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Peter Fang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for catering events.
- Private Party Facilities: The main dining room can accommodate up 80 seated guests, has standing room of 100, a full bar, and a full open kitchen.
The second dining room has a full open kitchen and two semi-private rooms, which seat 110 guests.
The glass room can accommodate up to 14 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The Tibetan back room can accommodate up to 22 seated guests and is a semi-private room.
The entire restaurant, both main and second dining room combined, seats up to 200 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kathy Fang 4157778568
- Cross Street: 3rd Street and New Montgomery
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 1. Street Parking Available
2. Nearest Parking Lots: There are 2 lots available within half a block from our restaurant. One is located on Minna Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery. The other is located directly across from Fang with entrances located on Howard Street between 3rd Street and New Montgomery as well as an entrance on 3rd Street between Folsom and Howard Street .
A word from FANG
Fang is the sister restaurant of wildly popular restaurant, House of Nanking. Fang embodies both modern and authentic Chinese cuisines in a fine dining setting serving traditional Chinese fare, dim sum, as well as "off the menu" innovative dishes for the adventurous. Chef Peter Fang believes that good-tasting food is universal and should not be bound by how dishes were made in the past. With Chef Peter’s trademark inventiveness and eye for quality, the menu evolves and changes based on seasonally fresh ingredients from the same local Chinatown markets Peter has visited for decades. For fresh seasonal Chinese food in an elegant and modern setting, visit Fang.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
FANG reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)good for groups (51)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (17)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (9)romantic (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- lovely dinnermrB1VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food is excellent at a central location. staff is helpful even if a bit distantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fang is awesomeFoodieGromDined on 7/25/2014The food is awesome at Fang. Don't expect the usual Chinese dishes. In fact, you won't even find traditionals like Kung Pao Chicken on the menu. Ambiance is good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuDumindha64Dined on 7/17/2014Food was really good and the prices were a very pleasantly surprising not over priced as many places can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and valueVioletaDined on 7/11/2014This is our second visit to Fang's and we enjoyed again. On our first visit in 2012, the Chef/Owner ordered for us (a group of five) so we were impressed with his choices. This time around, we each ordered a dish and thought every single one was delicious and had flavors of their own. We couldn't believe how reasonably-priced a chicken dish was ($11.95 I think). Nowadays, you'd have to pay $18-$20 for a comparable dish elsewhere. The only drawback was the lack of warmth and friendliness of our female server from this year's visit. However, on our first visit, Lily, was nice and great to work with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining at FangssffoodrocksDined on 7/10/2014My friend recommended this restaurant. She said when you order tell the waiter "bring it on". I wasn't sure when our group of 4 ordered and asked the waitress about it. I gave her a price of what my friend spent and she ordered what she thought we would like. It was excellent. So many different varieties of food which we all loved. Fish, chicken, beef, vegetables and appetizers. Wonderful. They were left overs! The price is so reasonable! I've already told many friends about it. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- fantastic foodElisaVIPDined on 7/3/2014Every time I come to Fang the food is as good as the last. The short ribs are my favorite dish. The staff are accommodating to food allergies/ dietary restrictions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining Experience!annekieDined on 6/30/2014We really enjoyed our early dinner at Fang on Monday evening. We chose some items from the Happy Hour menu. I would definitely come back for the mojito and Fang's Peking buns, as well as to try other things. The appetizers are half off for HH and they have drink specials. For our dinner we chose to ask the restaurant to surprise us with a few items. The end result was an eclectic and delicious sampling of dishes - one beef, one chicken and sauteed green beans. All were excellent and we really enjoyed our experience here and will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Staff Meal RecommendationsHawaiiVisitorVIPDined on 6/27/2014Staff always does a great job a specially creating a meal choice based on food restrictions and customer input. Each time makes for a wonderful dining experience. And lets the chef/restaurant be creative as well!!Special Features:
- The following 726 reviews are from the FANG reviews archive.
- FangDined on 6/22/2014Fang is nicely located since it avoids climbing the hills in Chinatown. The portions are generous, the prices reasonable and the food is innovative. It is, however, incredibly noisy with the wait staff screaming their orders to the kitchen.Special Features:
- We love FangFANGFANDined on 6/22/2014We have now had our niece's graduation as well as a special lunch with dear friends from Italy and their Italian friends and everyone was raving about the food. Ask for the chef's choice, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- ThorDined on 6/20/2014The lighting was bad. The food was mediocre. Parking was ok.Special Features:
- Amazing food and servicebpetraskaDined on 6/19/2014My guest had never been. We had an amazing meal and great service. Look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Lunch at meeting Moscone CenterWinedineDined on 6/14/2014This is a lively, very popular lunch and dinner venue. Food was very good, tasty and freshly prepared. Staff was VERY busy but were attentive and service did not suffer. Wait time was reasonable. Would definitely go back when I'm in San Francisco.Special Features:
- FangsAmadaVIPDined on 6/13/2014Love having a round table for a group! Family style/sharing of dishes is the way to go. Portions were too small (for a Chinese restaurant) in my opinion. Tasty food!Special Features:
- AnonymousDined on 6/12/2014Food was disappointing, compared to their sister restaurant House of Nanking.Special Features:
- Come for the FoodPunkinsMamaVIPDined on 6/10/2014This is HON's slightly prettier and edgier sister. Restaurant is small has a vibrant, upbeat atmosphere. Our waitress had zero charm and could not be less interested. Don't expect to be welcomed, told about the specials, etc. We made selections based on Yelp reviews, and once she took our order, we never saw her again. But the busboys were very efficient with bringing food, clearing plates, re filling water glasses, etc. Now for the food- delicious, everything single dish was flavorful, fresh & perfectly prepared. Highly recommended the 8 Treasures salad and Five Spice fish. Only regret was not being able to try everything.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SuprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2014First time here. I wanted something close by the Marriott Marquis for a group work dinner. Superb food, nice distance from the hotel, good choices for meat eaters and vegetarians as well. The entire group loved it and recommended that we return on the next trip.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret to the Moscone lunchbizguyVIPDined on 6/9/2014I love the food here. Great, great, authentic chinese. If you are stuck at Moscone at some insufferable conference (e.g., Dreamforce) and need a way to grab a good lunch nearby, lock in a reservation via OpenTable and have at it!Special Features:
- Enjoyable MealMisterBeestieVIPDined on 5/27/2014I along with a work colleague were looking for a nice restaurant close to the Marriott Marquis and walked over to this gem. We started with the Pork Confit egg rolls - a bit oily but tasty-- and the special app of the day fried shrimp dumplings which were good. We shared a couple of dishes a Beef Shortrib dish with baby bok choi and chicken dish. Both were very tasty with great crisp veggies and a lot of flavor. Prices are very good for the quality of the food. We had a chance to chat with the owner's daughter who actually took our order and recommended dishes. Freshness was a theme and we enjoyed our meal and would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese EverPkr2234Dined on 5/24/2014Title of the review says it all! Be sure to get pork spare ribs; like nothing else u have ever tasted!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chinese Food EveraldewittDined on 5/24/2014I have eaten Chinese food all over the world and I was simply not prepared to be blown away by the great food at Fang. After providing a short list of likes and dislikes and a list of food allergies, the chefs went to work to create the perfect meal. We started with shrimp dumplings that were the best I ever ate, and it only got better from there. The Wonton Soup that followed was creamy -- a bit unusual in that aspect -- but far better than any I ever had anywhere else. A portabella mushroom was magical, followed by lo mien served perfectly cooked. Next, the worlds best sesame chicken, and for dessert an apple crisp. It was like a symphony of flavor from beginning to end. And the price was also right! Don't miss Fang!Special Features:
- steamed buns were greatquietdinerVIPDined on 5/23/2014Most of our items were just ok but the steamed buns were great. If I go again I might just stick with that.
- Dropped to Cafeteria Level QualityMarkMDined on 5/22/2014Don't know what happened, but this place has gone downhill fast. It's gotten so dirty and slow and unappealing since I first bought guests here from out of town. The hosts desk looks like a a hoarders living room, the floor and furniture is dirty, the staff was throwing around table tops and chairs like they were packing up after a Salesforce event....not very friendly, the service was an afterthought.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Delicious food! I will definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findTxfoodieDined on 5/14/2014We were looking for a place within walking distance of our hotel in the financial district. This fit the bill. Although tiny and unaircondioned on a 90+ degree day, our server was attentive and made great recommendations. We did find a fried rice with chicken to be a bit bland, but on the whole a positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group event at FangOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014We had a group of twelve for a work dinner that included four guests from NYC and eight colleagues from SF. The dining area downstairs was ideal for our group as it provide adaquate space for a large group, our own room, very good service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ChaniDined on 5/10/2014Loved the soup dumplings! Food was great... Got to meet owner, Kathy...was thrilled as I had read much about her, Fang and House of Nanking...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemRonRVIPDined on 5/10/2014We live 1 block from Fang and frequently take our friends for dinner there. The service and food are outstanding......and the price is right. There were 7 in our party Saturday night and the total bill was under $200; try that in San Francisco. And, we actually took food home. Fang isn't a large restaurant, so I do recommend a reservation through Open Table. Be prepared for hot, family-style dishes. Enjoy!! Dr RSpecial Features:
- Great food, good valueZeauManDined on 5/9/2014Recommended by concierge at SF Marriott Marquis & several locals confirmed it as a good choice. As recommended by previous reviews, opted to take the recommendations of Michelle who waited on us and we were pleased. Each dish was a hit and we even reordered a round of appetizers - loved the openfaced pork buns and the beef short ribs. Can get very busy during lunch so be sure to let wait staff know if you have time constraints. I highly recommend it! The outside was rather bland. The inside especially downstairs where our group of 8 sat was reminiscent of many restaurants I see in China with tables capable of seating 10-12 comfortably. The area we had was open but had 3 call so felt semi-private and worked for business discussion.Special Features:
- patrishDined on 4/25/2014Such good food. I revisit this place every time I'm in town. All appetizers are yummy. Mongolian beef and their barbecue spareribs are crazy good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors seem better at Nanking40yrsinsfDined on 4/21/2014My last meal at Fang was sorta flat in excitement When I leave House of Nanking my taste buds are very happy usually!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good portion sizeChicagotoSanFranChickDined on 4/20/2014It was a decent enough lunch. Wouldn't take out of towners to wow them or anythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the GameInTheCityDined on 4/16/2014Instead of ordering from the menu, this time we decided to let the chef decide what to serve. It was a wonderful mix shrimp, beef and fish. It was easy, and truthfully, we may not have chosen these dishes.Special Features:
- Great Chineese Foodyoda4shodaVIPDined on 4/16/2014Went to this establishment on a whim with 2 friends. As we looked over the menu, our server asked us if we had been there before. When we told him we hadn't he took our menus away and said he'd take care of us. I honestly don't know what we ate (4 different dishes) but everything was quite good. Will go back.Special Features:
- Unless you are in the know...OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 4/14/2014do not come to this restaurant. It was obvious that we were first timers for them and we waited a long time before somebody even took our drink order. We were ignored several times after that, as well. Unless you order directly as it is stated on the menu, I would not go here. Substitutions are not welcome.Special Features:
- creative chineseisla88VIPDined on 4/8/2014If you want something different than traditional chinese menu you have to go here. They have very interesting dishes with lots of different ingredients. The buns filled with either beef, pork or duck made for very delicious appetizers along with steamed bok choy. We were there during happy hour so the prices for the apps were only $5 each. The entrees were excellent too. We were first in the place around 5:00 but by the time we left the place had filled up. The service was brisk with not much attention but didn't need much with the food being so perfect. Also try House of Nanking in chinatown which is a sister restuarant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miami503FiveothreeVIPDined on 4/7/2014Went for quick lunch.....loved the duck buns and crispy short ribs!!! Went back 36 hours later and had the same items for dinner. Ate the other nights at $$$$ restaurants and must say enjoyed Fang more!Special Features:
- ExcellentWayneDined on 4/5/2014I have dined at Fang's each time in San Francisco. Excellent pot stickers with peanut sauce. Must have the sesame chicken &'the short ribs were great alsoSpecial Features:
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014I was with 4 girls who all pretty much like everything. It was our first time to Fangs and we were not sure what to order. We asked the waitress what were her favorite dishes and instead of tell us she asked if she could just order for us. That was the best! We love every dish she sent out. All were perfect for sharing and still getting great portions for all 4 of us, the food can at a steady pace and not too fast. We all agreed that was the way to do it. We loved it!!Special Features:
- Local good foodRonRVIPDined on 4/4/2014Fang is a block from us, so convenient for walking. Our party size was 6; I do recommend a reservation for Friday or Saturday nights. The food and service were very good. The Chinese food came In family style platters and was served quickly and hot. The total for the 6 of us was under $150; hard to beat in San Francisco's SOMA district.Special Features: