4921 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lapanetteria.com/
- Phone: 3019516433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 2:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Panetteria feature beautiful settings for private parties, events and gatherings for groups of 25-35, 35-42 and 45-65. We offer group menus to fit any budget. We personalize the menu for your function. There are no pre selections and the guests pick the main course from the personalized menu. Rehearsal dinners are our specialty.
- Private Party Contact: Harry Khayami 3019516433
A word from La Panetteria
La Panetteria has been a Bethesda Landmark for more than 35 years. It has won accolades from food critics and many loyal customers for its superb menu and impeccable service. Cozy, old-fashioned Italian restaurant, serves both northern and southern Italian specialties, with homemade pasta, fresh seafood, veal and chicken dishes and best white pizza in the area. The restaurant invites diners in with a tree shaded street front awning, and an Old Italy atmosphere enhanced by a sunlit indoor atrium with graceful hanging baskets and period paintings on white washed stucco walls. The ceramic tile floor and white tablecloth complete the ambience of a true trattoria. The menu is extensive and features a wide variety of classic Italian dishes, plus daily specials like risottos, veal shank, seafood lasagna, rolattini and Zuppa. If you have a favorite Italian dish you will find it on the menu. La Panetteria means ‘the bakery’ in Italian and all the bread is baked fresh daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Panetteria reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (20)romantic (9)great for lunch (6)special occasion (6)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not nearly as good as last yearRestreviewDined on 12/31/2013We loved this restaurant last New Year's Eve. This year was TOTALLY different. Staff last year was friendly. Not this year. I order steak and lobster. Steak was full of fat and brissle and could barely eat it. Lobster tail was miniscule. All of the dinners for our whole table were average at best. My was below average. We think this restaurant must be under new management or a new chef since the quality has declined so much. We will never be back.Special Features:
- For a delicious birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/29/2013Members of our family have gone to La Panetteria many times. My son, and new daughter-in-law joined us to celebrate my wife's birthday. She loved the veal shank with spinach and mushrooms over risotto with dried tomatoes (one of the specials that night). I loved the veal saltimbocca. It was delicious. My son liked his choice of the specials, chicken breast stuffed with asparagus and mushrooms (I think). Our new daughter was enthusiastic about the linguini and mushrooms (lots of them) with chicken. The side dishes and the salad were also very good. And so were the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very festiveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/17/2013An Italian restaurant of minimal quality will AWAYS have a Prosceco in the house for an apperatif. ESPECIALLY at the holidays. We were told that they had taken it off the menu. VERY disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!
- Good in BethesdaPammyDined on 12/2/2013Good Italian food in Bethesda and very homey and great food and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Great restaurant in BethesdaDebbieDined on 11/30/2013This restaurant has reliably good food & service. Definitely recommend La Panetteria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great VisitPhilVIPDined on 11/23/2013Panetteria never fails to deliver. From the Fruita de mare, to the veal dishes, to the chicken dishes, all entrees were up to their normal standards. The consistency of service and food in addition to the owners personal welcome ( and in this case personal rendering of Happy Birthday) is always guaranteed. Dishes are not overdone with excessive schmaltz- just very good northern and southern Italian offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good, classicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013Consistently good, classic Italian food with nice sized portions and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a great experience!NotQuiteAFoodieDined on 11/4/2013My boyfriend and I went here for our anniversary dinner. We both adored the ambience and the service, and the food was outstanding. It's a little on the pricey side but the food was worth it. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had another terrific experienceJudyVIPDined on 10/31/2013We had another terrific experience at Panetteria. Guillermo, our waiter, was professional and attentive, and Harry, the owner, was there, which was nice. Great Trota Al Almafitana (trout in a garlic and caper sauce) preceded by a salad that could have been a little more room temperature but had lots of (pitted!) olives and a great dressing. The entrees (other than pastas which come with only salad) come with a vegetable and pasta which makes them good deals. The dessert, a new one, dark chocolate mousse cake, was delicious, with flavorful decaf. coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodJillDined on 10/26/2013La Panetteria has been a consistently good to excellent restaurant over several years that I have dined there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the eggplant parmigianaSusanVIPDined on 10/26/2013I had the eggplant parmigiana which was very good. My dinner companion enjoyed her chicken marsala. We both agreed that the salad was particularly good and we appreciated getting the dressing on the side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD CHOICE FOR TOURS?allatnasDined on 10/19/2013The food was overcooked, the server was rushing us out. The pre-made salad was almost frozen. If ever asked, I will steer people away from this establishment.Special Features:
- ExcellentsvanderzylVIPDined on 9/27/2013Had the pleasure of dining at La Panetteria this past Friday night. My boyfriend and I dine later than most and arrived about 9:15 pm. Restaurant had a a crowd in the front dining room, but only a handful of diners in the side room. Seated promptly and greeted warmly by our server. Started off with two well-made vodka drinks. Nex came two entrees, both accompanied with salad and vegetable. Chicken Parmigiana, my go to Italian entree, was exceptional!! Lightly breaded, fork-tender chicken topped with superb sauce and cheese. Simply delightful! Boyfriend had the Fruiti De Mar Special that included lobster. He chose his in a white wine sauce. Again - Superb!!! Fresh, light, perfectly presented and prepared. We will return!!!
- La Panetteria delivers againtbg22VIPDined on 9/21/2013We've been to La Panetteria several times for dinner, and have enjoyed each visit. But this week was the best -- excellent service, and my braised lamb shank over asparagus/mushroom risotto was delicious and comforting on a cool rainy night. My GF got the seafood combination over pasta -- it was delicious, too. I had planned on getting veal, but that lamb special was irresistable. I'll get veal on our next visit, which will be soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice quite family placehassanDined on 9/20/2013This place reminded do much of small town italy restaurant. Nice Italian food snd goid service. Hoise eines are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice jobMikeDined on 9/6/2013Our waitress was extremely efficient, and at the same time not intrusive. The atmosphere of the restaurant was casual, yet it had a sense of a small Italian neiborhood. The food was excellent, the service great. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service!! Decent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013We truly enjoyed the ambience in the room in which we were seated. It made us feel like we were in Europe for the time we were there. We were served a basket of nice breads with a bowl of fresh parmesan cheese and olive oil. Our dinners also came with a tossed salad. The eggplant florentine was very good and served with a side of spaghetti. The gnocci was decent as was the chicken parmesan. The portions were manageable... We were sated but didn't take home any leftovers. Honestly, we've had better tomato sauce at other Italian restaurants so, as much as we did like it, we will probably not rush back. The service was fantastic. We never felt rushed or like we were waiting too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the outside, this placeYosterstrudelDined on 8/6/2013From the outside, this place is definitely unassuming. I'd not have ever given it a shot, were it not for the Living Social deal that brought me here. But wow, what a gorgeous place! I felt transported by the setting, and the food was spot on as well. It was really quiet when we were here, but I'd chock that up to eating an earlier dinner during the week (our reservation was at 5:15).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad we checked this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2013So glad we checked this place out - it was delicious! Great spot to bring my Italian mother. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemShellieVIPDined on 7/27/2013Restaurant has been around for many, many years, and that's because it is really, really good. Can you believe, their entrees come with a nice house salad? Where can you get that! Plenty of vegetarian options as well. This is a gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Hearty ItalianDavidDined on 7/19/2013La Panetterria isn't one of these new pretentious places. It serves classic Italian food in a lovely setting. You don't feel like you're in busy downtown Bethesda as you dine in a classically decorated and airy space. The service is prompt and courteous without being overbearing. The food was delicious. They give you a complete meal for a good price. The eggplant parmigiana and pasta were tasty and my dining partner's trout was quite flavorful and served with crisp vegetables. Bravaissimo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food with attentive serviceBigAlDined on 7/8/2013As always the restaurant provided fine food with attentive service. It is one of a few restaurants that includes a salad with most meals. Healthy meal well prepared is a hallmark of this restaurant.Special Features:
- Disappointing.linajaneDined on 7/6/2013Old style, very traditional, Italian dishes without much finesse, flair or new approach. Should have stuck to plain home-made pasta & fresh tomato sauce rather than rather dull sole with the usual steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and a very run-of-the-mill salad. But the ambiance was pleasant and the wine list good.Special Features:
- Love, Love, Love this restaurant.foodloveVIPDined on 6/29/2013Love, Love, Love this restaurant. Service is topped only by the deliciousness of the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdequateOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2013An adequate spot in all respects but there is nothing special about the food. Not a place to avoid if a friend wants to meet there, but not a place to recommend to a friend either.
- Have enjoyed the cuisine,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2013Have enjoyed the cuisine, ambience and service for many years. Highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home style cooking!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/23/2013Delicious, authentic Italian food. There were 3 in our party. We got the mussels in the red sauce as an appetizer--- amazing! Our entrees were the tortellini with amore sauce-- wow, tortellinis were stuffed with ground veal and the amore sauce is a pink sauce that is creamy and delicious! We also had lasagna-- OMG it was to die for, ground beef, ricotta, perfectly cooked lasagna noodles smothered in a homemade red sauce and melted cheese...yummmmmy! And the third entree was the melizane (it was spinach and cheese wrapped in eggplant) served with linguini, very good vegetarian dish! Then for dessert we got Tiramisu... Homemade, creamy deliciousness. The service was also magnificent, our waitress smiled the whole time! C u soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise.jls1019Dined on 6/23/2013We had a small surprise party dinner. Everyone in our group of 8 raved about the food. The staff was so nice and accommodating. We will eating at La Paneterria again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2013La Paneterria has become my favorite Italian restaurant to enjoy the many dishes that I would normally prepare at home. The ambience of the garden setting and the great friendly service adds to the enjoyment of a night out from the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At Least the Lasagne Was GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/22/2013My family ate at La Panetteria on a Saturday afternoon. The service was okay. With the exception of the lasagne, which was delicious, the food was not great.
- We have been here on severalBethVIPDined on 6/16/2013We have been here on several occassions with large groups and never had a bad meal! The prices are very moderate compared to area chains that are over-priced for pasta dishes. Our wait staff is always very attentative and considerate of providing the meal early for our kids.Special Features:
- A nice meal with the familyWinemaker1000Dined on 6/16/2013We celebrated Father's Day at la Panetteria. Everyone had a nice meal, service was excellent and we had a lovely day. The restaurant is not very big and we were a party of 21 so a bit cramped. Regardless, we had a great time together. Nice ambiance, service was great and the wait staff was very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked it except for a things...OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/12/2013Overall, I would come back here especially for their chocolate mousse, which was absolutely delicious. The food was very good, but not the best. It was how I expected it to be. Their fried calamari is a must-try. For the entree, I got linguini with shrimp. I liked it, but I would probably try another dish when I come back to this restaurant. The service was okay. It felt like the waiters were rushing us because they kept on checking back to see if we're done with our meals, and the server asked twice if we want to take our food home when clearly we're all still eating. Seeing the server too much is just as bad as never seeing him/her. The place looks better at night, especially with the lights hanging on the walls and the ceiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All of the food arrived pipingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2013All of the food arrived piping hot. The chicken marsala and veal parmagiana were wonderful. The pasta with a requested spicy sauce was also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotJohnDined on 6/6/2013Food was very good. Two of us had veal and shrimp and we both enjoyed the meal. Vegetables were fresh and the unique house salad dressing was excellent. Very pleasent atmoshere and I would say the price was excellent for the location. Service was a bit slow at times but we would not hesitate to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming placeSusanDined on 6/5/2013The restaurant was very quiet, but the service was friendly and efficient and the atmosphere was charming and cozy. I loved the Veal Saltimboca that I ordered and my friend enjoyed her linguini. We had a lovely evening and were able to talk for quite awhile without feeling any pressure to leave.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andAnthuDined on 6/4/2013The food was excellent and the serving staff gave us an excellent service. We felt very comfortable and special. If we can we will go there again.Special Features:
- A fair experienceKristaDined on 6/2/2013We stood awkwardly at the front entrance for several minutes before our presence was acknowledged, and then waited quite a while for our server once seated. We had to ask three times for a wine list - there seemed to be a bit of language barrier communicating with some of the staff. The food was okay, but not especially memorable or flavorful. A few of my date's mussels were off, and my pasta was a bit bland. The location is charming and beautifully decorated.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with great food!little4isabellaDined on 5/24/2013My boyfriend and I went on a romantic dinner to La Panetteria, and we had amazing evening! We were sitting in their 'garden' and the ambiance was so romantic. Especially around 8:00 p.m. the place became a little bit darker and there were candles on tables, and the music was very romantic. The entire place was beautiful! There were few couples, a family, and a group of four people so it was not too crowded and loud. Moreover, the food was delicious and portions were pretty big. Since I love desserts, we decided to share a chocolate mousse cake. That cake was, honestly, the best cake we've had in a few months. On top of all of this, the waiter was very friendly, respectful, and the service in general was excellent. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average foodGuillaumeVIPDined on 5/24/2013We enjoy the service but the food was average, nothing special. We where happy to learn they had cannelloni for desert but they where A desapointment ,still have not found a good Italian restaurant .