Todd English at The Plaza Food Hall
One West 59th Street
The Plaza Hotel, Concourse Level
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Todd English at The Plaza Food Hall
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theplazany.com/dining/todd-english-food-hall//
- Phone: 2129869260x
- Hours of Operation:
11:30 AM - 10:00 PM Sunday through Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Chef Stephen Crocker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: www.theplazany.com/dining/todd-english-food-hall//
- Special Events: For Private events of over 20 people or more please contact
Ali Kayhan, The Director of Sales and Events. We can accommodate events up to 1000 people and also offer off premise catering.
Office number: 212.546.5464
A word from Todd English at The Plaza Food Hall
The Plaza launched a European-inspired specialty Food Hall created in collaboration with acclaimed chef and restaurateur Todd English. The Todd English Food Hall offers a diverse range of quality specialty foods and prepared dishes for take away or to enjoy in one of eight seating areas, including: Wine Bar, Cheese & Charcuterie Station, Sushi Bar, Burger Bar & Rotisserie, Asian Noodle and Dumpling Bar, Pasta Bar, Brick Oven Pizza, and a Fish and Seafood Grill. Private Dining is available for receptions for up to 300 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Todd English at The Plaza Food Hall reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (34)fit for foodies (29)good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (15)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (10)hot spot (7)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)romantic (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Tried to seat us at bar, theyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/16/2013Tried to seat us at bar, they were down a server. Good was a notch below last time I was there.
- Food great, service slow.NYCfoodieDined on 12/15/2013Had high expectations after everything I had heard about the restaurant. The ambience is great with lots of energy. The food was fantastic. The service was very slow, especially considering that it wasn't that busy when we arrived. I had to repeatedly ask for basic items. Since we were not in a rush, we had the luxury of being able to wait, otherwise, it would have been even more bothersome.Special Features:
- Very DisappointedDaveDined on 12/15/2013Food was very disappointing! Four couples, eight different entrees only two were good at best. Not the same restaurant it once was.
- Mixed FeelingsRTNYCDined on 12/13/2013This was my second visit. The food was very good, just like the last time. Sadly, my dining experience was disappointing because it started off not too well. The three women who worked the hostess table completely ignored me as I stood there right in front of them. After 30 seconds, one of them suddenly noticed that I was standing 2 feet in front of her. Our waiter was really bad, making us wait at least 20 minutes before taking our order. One of the managers (David) was terrific and addressed our concerns with an apology and personally taking care of our dessert order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very slow service, Ok foodElemVIPDined on 12/10/2013This used to be our favorite spot but during teh last year service continued to drop. On Wednesday it reached a new low - food came at different times, some items did not come at all. It was very difficult to get waiter's attention. We felt like we were in the middle of a fast food restaurant - very disappointing!
- Food-atainment!IvyNYCVIPDined on 12/2/2013I love this place. A fun menu of casual dining cuisine from popular cultures -- all elevated with Todd English flair! I enjoy sitting in different spots each time to watch the staff compose the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Safe ChoiceBostonVIPDined on 11/30/2013Hostess could be a little friendlier but it was busy so I let that sort of thing slide. All seating appears to be high top tables with partial back stools – so it may not be the best choice for small children or elderly family members. Food was pretty good and reasonably priced considering it’s in the Plaza. My only complaint could be that a glass of wine was $22 and a draft beer was $10.Special Features:
- Awful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/29/2013We went there for my birthday dinner and ended up leaving right after trying to order. They told us the grill and pizza part wasn't working but we said that didn't matter. I asked if it was only those parts on the menu, they said yes. The waiter took 10 minutes to even get us water. Then we ordered a bottle of wine, which they didn't have. Then started to order food which they couldn't make half of what we ordered because the grill/pizza part was broken. So, why didn't they tell us everything that we couldn't order before we started ordering? Awful service. The manager came back and said he would offer us another table after we stood up and left. NO WAY!
- Good selection of foodActionManDined on 11/26/2013The vast choice of food makes this place a must visit, fine food from all over the world. Great wine also!Special Features:
- Fun a third timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/25/2013Although not everyone likes community tables, this spot is abuzz by noon and you take what you can get. Bigger and even more like Harrod's, my family thoroughly enjoyed it. Food for any palate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local favorite ...SingerDined on 11/21/2013Love this place, food is always great. Service is hit or miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad fish. smelled so fishy,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2013bad fish. smelled so fishy, took it back. told them the fish had obviously gone bad and they shouldn't serve fish that went bad! to top it off had soy sauce spilled on us by careless wait staff.
- Great conceptOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2013To have such a variety of foods from appetizers to desserts is wonderful. a fun experience.Special Features:
- Food great, service poor.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2013Overall food was great as usual but service continues to be poor especially the reception. Three different staff members asked us for our name and reservation before we were seated. It was not a particularly busy night. Staff should not be 'multitasking' if they are not good at it.Special Features:
- They never honor seating requests.jtttDined on 10/30/2013They never honor seating requests. They seated us next to the sushi bar where they were frying fish. When I let there I smelled as if I had been sitting in a vat of fried fish. The seats I requestedf stayed empty all night. If I were seated in those seats again I would leave instaed of eating there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been here about 6DcerngDinrVIPDined on 10/29/2013We have been here about 6 times and return because we love the concept of the upscale food hall and a menu that includes both sushi and pizza and yet you can get a 3 course meal including kale salad, chicken and yummy desserts with nightly offerings. Quality is impressive. It is fun to watch the food preparation at the sushi station Since there are communal tables--I always request a table for two on my open table reservation and have always had that request honored except at our last visit. We certainly would wait for one if asked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything great except...dm10010VIPDined on 10/21/2013I went to Food Hall with my two brothers. One ordered the burger and the other ordered the tuna burger, which they loved. I have been several times and had many great meals (pizza, gyros, etc) so I decided to try the Asian food. I got a chicken stir fry, which tasted bland.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerBethannyDined on 10/18/2013Todd English Food Hall came as a recommendation from my friend. I was in NYC with my boyfriend for a wedding. We don't eat huge meals & just wanted something good along w/ a drink. He had one of the signature pasta dishes & I had the # 3 sushi platter. Oh we ordered lobster guac as an appetizer. That was great. Unique flavor and fresh. My sushi platter consisted of a spicy tuna roll and 9 piece asst.of other pieces. It was cold/fresh & very enjoyable. Too much for me. My boyfriend really enjoyed his pasta & finished my sushi for me. What I like is the smaller/normal portion sizes. It allows you to enjoy a meal without feeling stuffed. No take home/doggy bag which is good since we were in a hotel. We'd surely go back. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blah...dissapointedVIPDined on 10/9/2013Avocado an ugly shade of grey on the tuna burger. Ribs that were baked, poor salad accompanying that- just not well cooked, well thought out or well executed. Wish it could be a neighborhood gem...but alas.
- An Off NightSusicruiseVIPDined on 10/5/2013Have eaten here several times and always loved it. Last night, the food was great as always, but the service was horrendous. There was a private party going on and the kitchen send the waitstaff just couldn't handle it - making for an unpleasant experience for the group of 4 I was with. Entrees arrived before or with starters and the timing was just not right. And - no apologies from the staff or management. Will think twice about returning there.Special Features:
- we picked this restaurantannaDined on 9/23/2013we picked this restaurant for a few reasons. one was that it was at the plaza, yet the prices weren't crazy. it was my daughter's birthday. we live in westchester and we picked up our friend from lga who came in to town for business. my daughter wanted sushi but 2 others didn't. this was perfect because of the variety. also, knowing it was a todd english restaurant the 2 foodies would be happy and they were! have already recommended it to others.Special Features:
- This is generally our "goOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2013This is generally our "go to" place iAd ticks all boxes Good food, nice atmosphere... Took friends this Saturday eve and not the best experience. Service bad even though not busy.. Disappointed but hopefully a one off.. Would try again but not with guests...Special Features:
- So DisappointedSoosieBDined on 9/7/2013I have been to this restaurant multiple times, and each time it goes down a little more. I don't think I will be going back now. The two worst things we ate were the pulled pork sandwich and the red velvet cake. They should be taken off the menu. I loved this restaurant when I first went there there. What happened?
- Food HallgaylaVIPDined on 9/5/2013Great evening. Took clients for first time at the Food Hall -- they loved it and will be back again!Special Features:
- Leathery chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/1/2013Grilled chicken, ordered to go with the salad, was overcooked and inedible. My friend had the same complaint. Be careful with the tip - the pre-calculated tip on the bill is based on the TOTAL check and is NOT by two or more in case you split the check with several credit cards. As a result, my friend and I EACH paid the pre-calculated 20% tip on the TOTAL, essentially paying a 40% tip! Shame on us for being in a hurry and not checking our math, but this is a misleading practice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneFoodiemomof2Dined on 8/31/2013We went to dinner here while visiting New York with our 2 children, ages 10 and 11, and it was all we could do not to go back for every meal. (We went back for a lunch and one more dinner.) It's reasonably priced; the food is fresh; the format of the place is brilliant -- extremely simple and straightforward; you can watch all the food being made; and everything we tried, which was pretty much everything, was great. The kids loved it as much as we did. We were all always talking about what we wanted to try the next time we went. It's not fancy, not haute cuisine, but it's no "food court" either. It's more of a market atmosphere, and it's really good food. I loved that people who work there seemed happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2013Such a great menu! It's my favorite way to eat its like a tapas bar from every food genre!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb findMikeDined on 8/26/2013loved everything about it. Spicy Tuna roll...great. Lobster roll (sushi)...great. Fig and Proscuitto flatbread...unbelievable. All around a great place. Not stuffy, relaxed place where you can enjoy the food and the people you are withSpecial Features:
- IndifferentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2013Although we have enjoyed eating her several times in the past, on this visit both the food and the service were lackluster. The waiter seemed indifferent and brought the wrong order twice. As a result the food was no longer hot when it finally arrived.Special Features:
- Had my birthday party here,ParkerDined on 8/9/2013Had my birthday party here, everything was perfect except our waiter was incompetent, otherwise it was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2013I had the Popcorn Chicken Tacos which were incredible but that's the only thing I liked besides the dessert. The Chicken Parmesan sliders were burnt and not tasty and the Lobster Mac and Cheese was just plain bad. Wish I had ordered something else. I'm sure there are other great items but for me it was so so... Good place to get a drink after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- little disappointed - bad ordering?ChristineIsPinkVIPDined on 8/7/2013i had heard so many good things about the food hall from friends and social media that i was quite disappointed in my first experience. both dishes (lobster tagliatelle and chicken potstickers) were average at best. the pasta was also really ugly in presentation - very bland colors mixed with the icky green stuff from inside the lobster. my co-eater thought it was fishy but i had no problems with the taste (although everyone says i am guilty of having a very bland palate). the potstickers were fine, but again, nothing to write home about, and certainly nothing to wait in line for. perhaps we ordered random non-favorite/popular dishes. the service was nice. and the maitre'd lady was really sweet about letting us "make a reservation" for pts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All the seating seemed toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2013All the seating seemed to be on high bar stools with backs. Perhaps a nice idea, but for older folks, not all that comfortable. It seems my feet actually missed being able to touch the ground and move around vs. being perched on the bar stool rung in one position. This did make the seating a novelty but when you sit for two hours, you do get stiff. Also, older folks should be aware of noise levels. While my companion and I did request the room with less loud music playing, once the room filled up, people's conversations did raise the noise level to uncomfortable. Did enjoy the food on the Restaurant Week menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What fun! I am older and preferihatenicknamesVIPDined on 7/26/2013What fun! I am older and prefer table seating--but we ate at ocean culinary station and i enjoyed watching the preparation and soon forgot this wasn't traditional dining. Portions are plentiful--enough to share. Prices are good. My favs:lobster mac'n cheese and steak tacos. As with Ca Va, not much wine selection (bottles) on the low end. i can't wait to come back and try some other dishes: pizza, ribs, pork sliders, smoked fish for brunch. Great place for lunch if you are shopping or museum going alone--totally comfortable to sit alone. One glitch--food comes from 8 different culinary stations--our food was not served together--that's a no-no.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible for Restaurant WeekigorjrrDined on 7/25/2013The worst restaurant I've been during Restaurant Week for dinner. 38 dollars is too much for the food you get. Simple appetizers, very, very small amount of food (looked like a sample instead of a meal). Only the desert was OK but not sophisticated. For even less, you can go to a Zagar rated restaurant and have a wonderful meal. The drink, also, was less then OK. For 14 dollars, all I got was a half glass of Sake with cheap coconut blend (those you can find in the supermarket). Don't go.
- deliciousSheriSVIPDined on 7/23/2013I really loved this unusual dinner. We were seated at the counter where 2 men were efficiently grilling so it was fun to watch while we ate. We ordered 4 dishes for the 2 of us to share - way too much food but so incredibly delicious and beautifully presented. The lobster guacamole with freshly made tortilla chips was yummy, the grilled octopus was perfectly cooked and by far my favorite. I am not a big fan of fried oysters but my daughter loved them. We finished off with pork in a bun with hoisen sauce and omg they were amazing. Already made another reservation to returnSpecial Features:
- Eclectic menu - somethingscottVIPDined on 7/23/2013Eclectic menu - something for everyone. Been here a few times - disappointed on this visit - food didn't have much taste, and the service was slow - may have just caught them on a bad nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very busyVisitoroutofUSVIPDined on 7/18/2013If you are in a hurry, don't go there. You are seated in different sections of the hall. I was put at the bar. The bar tender took my order. I had to ask twice for my side dish. There are not enough wait staff. Food is ok. So the place does not match the food and the service even though it is situated at the basement level of the Plaza Hotel.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine for TouristsFoodieVIPDined on 7/17/2013Will not return. They ruined it when they expanded.
- Unique and delish!idontcareiloveitVIPDined on 7/12/2013Great meal as always - great variety and ambiance. Awesome to bring out of town visitorsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.