Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
520 North Dearborn
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://mastrosrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3125215100x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner only, 5:00pm - Midnight, Daily.
M Bar Piano Lounge - 4:00pm - 2:00am, Daily.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Justin Floerchinger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live entertainment & dancing nightly at the piano bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Kelly McGrath for your next event.
A word from Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago
Mastro's collection of sophisticated, classic Steakhouses and Ocean Club seafood locations are recognized for their combination of world-class service, highly acclaimed cuisine, and live entertainment in an elegant yet energetic atmosphere. A truly unparalleled dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Mastro's Steakhouse - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
347 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (258)romantic (179)notable wine list (151)vibrant bar scene (130)good for groups (103)fit for foodies (98)hot spot (94)neighborhood gem (38)late-night find (38)scenic view (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Excellent Food & Very Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/21/2014The food was outstanding. I'm not sure how they get a steak that hot without burning it, but they do and it tasted awesome. Service was very good. The overall ambience was good, but a bit too dark. I recommend turning up the lights. Waiters should not have to leave a flashlight at the table so you can read the menu.Special Features:
- mrrabDined on 7/20/2014The food is excellent ... best steak in quite a while.Special Features:
- Ruined birthday dinnedEatwellVIPDined on 7/19/2014we went to Mastro's in Chicago to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. Our table and server were excellent, and the food was great as usual. Unfortunately the evening was completely ruined when, while we were having our coffee, the manager (Chris) approached me and told me that we were being too loud and that others were complaining. WE WERE THERE CELEBRATING!! We were on the main floor and could hear the music from the bar but not anybody else talking. My wife and I dine out frequently, and we like to continue to go to places where we have had good experiences. I will never again choose to eat at Mastro's. for the price of dining at your restaurant I have many other choices where I will not be treated that way.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014The best restaurant I have ever been to, bar none. Food is great, service is great, every detail well handled.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!Sarakins84Dined on 7/19/2014I went in to Mastro's expecting to pay top dollar for a steak, and I was expecting that steak to be the best I had ever eaten. I was spot on...it was the best food I've ever had! Everything was excellent, the french onion soup, the snap peas, the 18 oz bone in filet, and the BUTTER CAKE was to DIE for. The service was excellent and I will continue to visit Mastro's on future visits to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maryloughDined on 7/18/2014Over priced steakhouse, fish overcooked, table of four, with 4 dinners, 2 bottles of wine and two appetizers $600.00Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014The staff was very nice and informative. My wife and I dined in for the first time for our anniversary. Everybody we came across was very nice. Not to mention the good was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!FinickyAboutFoodVIPDined on 7/18/2014Mastro's is consistently great for a night out. Food and service are top notch. Plenty of options on the menu with traditional steakhouse fare, and a ton of great seafood and veggie options as well. Cocktail menu is extensive. The butter cake dessert is a must do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak house in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/17/2014Hands down the best steak house in Chicago. Great steaks, fantastic sides & quality service. We ate in the formal dining area which we enjoyed a lot... it appeared to be rather loud in the piano bar area.Special Features:
- Fantastic. You can't go wrong.CamiDined on 7/14/2014If you want a perfect meal and exceptional dining experience for any reason at all, then Mastro's is your place. I have never had one single complaint in the dozen or so times I've visited. It's perfect for literally any special occasion or even just an immensely enjoyable dinner out on a Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014As a lover of fine steak houses the food service has far exceeded my expectations! I will be dinning here for years to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so happy camperFarrahMDined on 7/12/2014I've dined at Mastros several times before, however, on this occasion I was not allowed to dine because my dining partner was wearing a jogging suit. His attire absolutely, had nothing to do with being seated and eating and I'm sure would not have disrupted the ambience or any of the other guests. While I respect their decision to remain a strict dress code establishment, it was very inconvenient to wait to be seated and then to not be allowed to enter once a table was ready.Special Features:
- Timothy KingLuv2dineDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding food & service the steak was cook perfect, the drinks was good. Only thing I would say is it was a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerluvmysteakDined on 7/12/2014Had a delightful dinner at Mastro's. the food, server and atmosphere were perfect for a night out with that special friend. I would recommend a visit here any chance you get. Oh and try the butter cake, you will thank me later!Special Features:
- lovediningoutDined on 7/11/2014Mastro's is by far the best dining experience we've had here in Chicago. Our waiter Bill was very knowledgeable and helped is to decide on side dishes for us since we had our 17 & 14 year old children with us. We will definitely be back the next time we visit!!! Almost forgot, the dessert "Butter creme cake" was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodFoodguyDined on 7/10/2014Everything was great. The only issue was the noise level. Even in the dining room table for two we had to raise our voices to talk and be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeDiner1Dined on 7/10/2014Food was very good butter cake was excellent the room was very noisy and dark also very expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014I was impressed with how professional and attentive the staff was. Of course the food was above excellent. I really enjoyed myself and they even as a courtesy provided a Slice of their Chocolate Cake Dessert at no cost to thank us for celebrating our anniversary free of charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total Bliss...priceless7foodsDined on 7/7/2014My husband and I were in total bliss yet again and it's all thanks to Mastro's! The tasty perfect steaks, the lobster mashed potatoes, and the Homemade whipped cream, oh my! I feel super special when we dine there. Mastro's is the best steak house in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversarySteakman23Dined on 7/7/2014My wife & I recently celebrated our anniversary @ Mastros and the experience was excellent!!! I read several reviews which all agreed the food was spectacular & it did not disappoint!!! Some reviewers stated it was far too noisy however I enjoyed the upbeat ambience and live band near the bar which played contemporary music which my wife & I appreciated. Somewhat dim lighting but didn't bother us much. My ribeye & my wife's filet were cooked to perfection! The scallops were excellent & the butter cake was second to none!! Prices were comparable to that of a 5 star restaurant. As a steak connoisseur, Mastros definitely ranks in my top 5. Excellent for entertaining or special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistent!SleekchicagoVIPDined on 7/7/2014There are plenty of OK steak and seafood places in Chicago. If you don't WOW us on the first visit, we won't be back. Needless to say we have returned again to Mastro's as they are always consistent with the whole dining experience. We will return.Special Features:
- Excellent steakhousePJC18VIPDined on 7/6/2014Great steaks and other main dishes. The Mambo salad (a spicy Ceasar salad ) was wonderful. Save room for an array of excellent deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014I wasn't sure how the fish would be at a steak place-best Chilean sea bass I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the TripChicGourmetVIPDined on 7/6/2014With the exception of the darker-than-night lighting, Mastro's is everything a great steakhouse should be~ terrific steaks and delicious vegetable dishes eaten in a posh but relaxed atmosphere. Why the lighting is essentially nonexistent I don't know (and I hope they change that), but the food is wonderful though steakhouse pricey. We were lucky with our fabulous, experienced server who made spot on suggestions. The bone-in filet was scrumptious with a good rub of spices; the onion rings among the best we ever had. Mushrooms were simply but perfectly cooked. Roasted Brussels Sprouts are fantastic. A gargantuan piece of chocolate layer cake was impressive but too sweet; breads were warm and tasty with good butter, including pretzel breads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeEnjoysqualityDined on 7/5/2014First time visit was outstanding. Best meal we can remember ever having. The noise level was too loud and difficult to visit with our guests. But the quality of the food and service was so good, we didn't mind the noise. Can't wait to go back with special friends or special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2014great life music and service, but the restaurant was very dark and every dish (steak, fish, side dish) had a charcoal layer on top...food was beyond burnt....Special Features:
- Great food experience!TrvldivaVIPDined on 7/3/2014Overall, a great experience... Wonderful food and service. The one slight flaw would be that it's too dark and louder than one would expect of a nice, special occasion kind of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible DiningJoeyDined on 7/3/2014From the time I entered the restaurant to celebrate the birthday of a great friend, I was very impressed and knew I had chosen the correct dining spot. The restaurant featured dimmed lighting and a piano bar where we were able to sit in a corner booth and take in all of the experience. The service was next to none and the food (filet and Alaskan Halibut) were both out of this world. Mastro's rises to the top of my dining list. I would recommend this restaurant to those who are celebrating or those who want an incredible night out on the town.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Wow. What a great experience we had at Mastro's! Though the hostess at the front was not terribly friendly, and there was a large, noisy, obviously inebriated group standing in the lobby, once we sat down at our table, things went from questionable to magnificent. Our waiter, Brian greeted us immediately. He was personable, respectful, friendly, and, best of all, knowledgeable. He covered the specials with us, describing each one with vivid detail. He answered all of our questions patiently and thoroughly as well. The food was absolutely delectable--an epicurean delight--and when we ordered the meal, he paired a PERFECT wine with it. His attention to detail was not intrusive, yet we were well cared for. He is a GEM at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed as usualDinercouple928VIPDined on 7/2/2014Mastros is always our favorite pick when it comes to steak houses- we always leave happy! I knew I had to finally write a review after our last experiences since management handled an unfortunate situation so well. The table next to us had an extremely personal and traumatic situation occur and management went above and beyond to take care of us accordingly for having to be involved. Thank you again, Mastros, we will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mastro'sBobbyDubzDined on 6/28/2014Pricey. We were a little disappointed that we were seated on the second floor near the kitchen when the place was empty when we arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014lighting seemed a little dark and the bathrooms on second floor were a little out of the way.Special Features:
- Follow through is amazingmickDined on 6/27/2014The actual restaurant called me the day of to confirm my reservation and to ask me about the notes I wrote, when I had reserved. My boyfriend and I had a 9:30 reservation, we get to the restaurant about 15 minutes early and the restaurant was able to seat us right away. The place is very dark, but luckily our table was right up against the champagne bottle lighted display, that we had good light. You know it is very dark when the Waiters have flashlights. We ordered the chopped salad and they split it in two plates without us even asking. My boyfriend ordered the 33 oz steak, medium, he said it was amazing. One of the sides we ordered was the creamed corn, it was so rich and creamy. I ordered the crap cakes, cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very close to five starsGABSDined on 6/27/2014My fifth star is always for value, and while I cannot find any fault with Mastro's in any of the rated categories, their prices are over the top. In fairness, the prices at most of the highly rated steak houses are over the top, and in my opinion unjustifiable. Chicken for $33 and a tomato and onion salad for $12 are but two examples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional FineJericaDined on 6/26/2014This was a last mintue fine for my friend and I who wanted to experience a great steakhouse in Chicago. It's not everyday you'll fine a live band at a 5 star restaurant performing and belting out awesome songs from different generations for all to enjoy. As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie ParadiseTheFlyGirlDined on 6/26/2014I would highly recommend Mastro's if you are looking for outstanding food. Our server Bill was incredible! A trained level 2 Sommelier, his recommendations were spot on. (Who knew you would find an incredible Washington wine?) Overall if you want to impress this is the place to go. But budget accordingly. Dinner for three with drinks, no appetizers or dessert was $500. However that was certainly the best spent $500 for dinner in a long time!!! I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring Your Flashlightchicago57Dined on 6/26/2014Brought two girlfriends here to celebrate their birthdays. The food and the service were outstanding. Two complaints - It was too dark in the dining room. It didn't look romantic, it look like a power outage or that someone forgot to pay the light bill. Second, the Dearborn street bridge was out from June 24- June 28, it would have been nice to have known this information ahead of time. The restaurant is on Dearborn, so they must have known. I would definitely go to this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but...WithRegretsDined on 6/24/2014Food choices and quality outstanding. But what's with the music? Way too loud and inappropriate style for this type of dining experience. Actually not good music for any venue.Special Features:
- Perfect spot to celebrateDanthemanDined on 6/23/2014My wife and I celebrated my birthday and could not have asked for more. Dinner was fantastic and the ambiance was spectacular. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening in Chicago!lovefoodDined on 6/22/2014My husband and I decided to eat in the bar area for the ambience and we were not disappointed! The food and service were wonderful, and the live entertainment was an added surprise! Noisy, but in a good way as the music was great. All in all a great evening.