Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
23 Forest Ave.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bibosportland.com/
- Phone: 2077749698
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: William Boutwell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can be booked for private parties of 30 or more. We have hosted many rehearsal, graduation, birthday, and retirement parties. Our private menues are created specially for each event.
- Private Party Contact: William Boutwell 2077749698
- Special Events: BiBo's features special wine dinners on a rotating basis. You can find out more by going to www.bibosportland.com. We would also be honored to host your special events.
- Cross Street: between Congress St. and Cumberland Ave.
- Public Transit: The Portland metro bus system has a stop directly across the street from us.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is usually quite a bit of on street parking available and there is a public parking garage just across the street at the Eastland Park Hotel.
A word from Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
Bibo’s Madd Apple Cafe is a 38 seat independently owned and operated cafe. At BiBo's we stride to provide locally sourced ingredients at an affordable price. We serve lunch, brunch and dinner with our menus changing frequently to highlight ingredients and dishes that are in season. BiBo's provides a comfortable eclectic ambience showcasing art from local artists. We offer an extensive affordable wine list with many specials featured each day. At BiBo's we believe that buying local saves neighborhoods. This is why we deal with local farmers, artisanal cheese makers, and small local suppliers. We have been featured in Down East magazine as a great date restaurant because of the quiet atmosphere. We also feature monthly creative wine dinners and are now offering nightly mini wine dinners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (5)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- This was the second visit,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/20/2011This was the second visit, and the food was just as good this time. I had the steak this time and it was amazing. Plans for another visit are in the works!Special Features:
- My wife and I shared 4 appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2011My wife and I shared 4 appetizers and were delighted with each.Special Features:
- Nice find...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2011Very nice..the meals was wonderful. I had the frittata ...yummy.Special Features:
- Went to a wine tasting-fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2011Went to a wine tasting-fabulous! The wines were superb and the food was incredible. They do a wonderful job of pairing the food and the wines. Excellent chef! One of the best in the city, if you ask me. A great value for the price. Five wines and five courses for around $50. You can't beat it. We go every month and are very disappointed if we have a prior engagement on the night of the tasting. We've gone to several wine tastings in several cities and this one is the best.Special Features:
- An Easter TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2011The Madd Apple never fails to impress. It's the go to place when you want great food at fair prices - and to have the "anti-chain restaurant" experience. Just a note, if your name has a hyphen in it, Open Table's system will make your reservation unfindable by the restaurant, so you may want to call to confirm!Special Features:
- A friend recommended thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/17/2011A friend recommended this spot and I am glad I came here. The food was wonderful. The apple fritters were by far one of the best breakfast foods I have ever had.Special Features:
- 4 of us and everyone had somethingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/16/20114 of us and everyone had something different - enough to share. The desserts put us over the time - we were all quite full!! We didn't feel rushed and appreciated that they took reservations for 4. I had the special pasta dish, husband had the haddock and the othrs had flank steak. All were excellent. The Bibb lettuce salad was different and delicious.Special Features:
- Although just a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2011Although just a bit pricey and the portions somewhat small, the food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Steak was fatty, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2011Steak was fatty, small portions for the price. We frequent Portland restaurants and would never go back to Bibos.
- Excellent range in relativelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/31/2011Excellent range in relatively small number of menu items. Food prepared with imagination, but without pretension. Staff is friendly and capable and efficient: they know how to get patrons to the theater next door without rushing them. Second time there, and we will return.Special Features:
- Avoid on an "event" nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/5/2011Avoid on an "event" night at Portland Stage. They are stressed by the extra business.
- Best Place To Eat In Portland 2010OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2011Great for brunch and dinner! This has been my favorite place to eat in Portland for the past year! All the food I've had has been great. Recommended: Muffins Flatbread Veggie Hash (comes with two poached eggs and toast) Seafood Risotto Apple PancakesSpecial Features:
- Surprise on Forest Ave.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2011Madd Apple was fantastic. Far better than I expected. For some reason it is a sleeper. It has a good reputation but many people I know have not been there. Every coarse was special. The staff we friendly and helpful and it simple feels good inside. Madd Apple is much much more than a restaurant to go to before attending a play at Portland Stage.Special Features:
- This is our 2nd time at Bibo'sdinerVIPDined on 2/12/2011This is our 2nd time at Bibo's and we love it, will continue to return. It's a small little spot, but very comfortable, and the food is among the best we've had here in Portland. The staff is perfect; knowledgeable but not too pushy. Really, this is a new favorite.Special Features:
- Delicious! A true find thatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/11/2011Delicious! A true find that felt warm, cozy and inviting. Food was creative and flavorful; Winelist was diverse and affordable. We'll be going back.Special Features:
- Exquisite food prepared perfectly!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/5/2011Exquisite food prepared perfectly! Great menu. Slightly too $$$$$$ for frequent dining. BUT....will definately be backSpecial Features:
- Been to Bibo's several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/21/2011Been to Bibo's several times and always find that the food is very good (especially the salmon), the service always pleasant and timed perfectly, and the ambiance charming.Special Features:
- Had been to resturant beforeCorndogdadDined on 12/31/2010Had been to resturant before and enjoyed it very much. Decided to go for New Years because it was small and quiet. Food on the special menu was not up to par. Think the cook tried to get to fancy. Will probably return for the normal fair.Special Features:
- A great find.. unique food,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/17/2010A great find.. unique food, very good service and nice wine list.Special Features:
- Except for the spring rollOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/8/2010Except for the spring roll appetizer (boring), the dinner was delicious. I had the pork belly special and my wife had the steak. Both excellent. We shared an apple tart for desert. The waitress was lovely and just attentive enough. Loved the interior. Quite European in feeling. We would definately return.Special Features:
- Everything was perfect exceptBookDined on 12/3/2010Everything was perfect except the waitress failed to provide 2 checks for our party as twice requested.Special Features:
- One of our absolute favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2010One of our absolute favorites in Portland. Always amazing. You would gladly pay double their menu prices and still think it was well worth it. Local ingredients, fresh and flavorful. Do not overlook this gem in the Forest City.Special Features:
- I reserved the spot at restaurantDilbrettaDined on 11/12/2010I reserved the spot at restaurant at last minute. I found out that my couple of friends were not adventure diners, so it was challenge for them to select the interesting dish from the menu. I really liked the creative menu, but had to eliminate some of these dishes due to my gluten sensitivity. The wine list was wonderful!Special Features:
- The atmosphere is warm andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/12/2010The atmosphere is warm and cozy, but also exudes energy and vibrancy. The "noise level" for lack of a better phrase reflects lively conversation. The wine list is varied, interesting and affordable. The featured beer and Portland Mead add to the interesting beverage choices. I love the fact that if wine is ordered by the glass the bottle is brought out and poured from, allowing one to see the label. The menu from starters to dessert is just wonderful. There are some hard choices to be made here! We settled for an amazing Pho with duck breast (mmm...), scallops, shrimp, oyster mushrooms, baby spinach in a lobster broth w/noodles. Amazing desserts-apple tart w/cinnamon gelato and a light, melt in your mouth Greek pastry. Bibo's - a geSpecial Features:
- We were attending a productiondinerVIPDined on 11/11/2010We were attending a production at Portland Stage and wanted a little dinner before the show; DELICIOUS entree, charming and cozy atmosphere. Will definitely dine again.Special Features:
- Finally a restaurant thatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2010Finally a restaurant that does not charge an arm and a leg for mediocure food. Our meal at Bibo's was the best meal I have eaten out in a long time, definetly not mediocure but still reasonably priced. Top of the line - really. The attention to detail and the explosion of taste from beginning to the end of our meal was phenominal. The duck was cooked to perfection. A true gem!Special Features:
- I ate at Bibo's Friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2010I ate at Bibo's Friday night for the sixth or seventh time in the last couple of years. Each and every experience has been memorable for the excellent food, the knowledgeable and friendly staff, and the warm ambience. My various companions have enjoyed the experience with equal pleasure and have returned on their own to enjoy the fine seafood, steak, chicken, pork and risotto dishes offered with incredible side dishes to compliment each. I simply can't find the words to recommend this restaurant highly enough. It is absolutely superb! I hope to be visiting the Madd Apple much more frequently in the future!Special Features:
- This was our first time atLalaDined on 10/21/2010This was our first time at Bibos Madd Apple Cafe. We have heard many good things and they were all true. Our dinner was just yummy and the waitress was just darling. We can't wait to go back....and so close to the theater!Special Features:
- Went early Sunday afternoon,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2010Went early Sunday afternoon, caught the tail end of the brunch menu. Lots of sweeter things, not too many savories, but what we had was excellent. Funky space, with a lot of nice little details -- homemade ketchup, good local specials, tasty mixed drinks -- in the arts district of Portland, just off Congress.
- A wonderful evening. All dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2010A wonderful evening. All dishes were unique and prtions were right sized. Just right amount of starch. Each dish at the table had different veggies and starch. Very impressive....Special Features:
- We really liked the crab cakes,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2010We really liked the crab cakes, the marinated skirt steak and the blue cheese risotto. Even though it was a busy Saturday night, we didn't feel rushed. Lida is a terrific server.Special Features:
- Bibo's is always a pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2010Bibo's is always a pleasant experience. The food is carefully and inventively prepared from largely local ingredients; beautifully presented. Daily wine specials are wonderful. The restaurant is small,the atmosphere intimate and cozy. The staff are friendly, well informed about the menu, and service is excellent.Special Features:
- We have been to Bibbos manyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2010We have been to Bibbos many times before the theater on Sundays. This time was not as good as usual. Our table (reserved) was in line of the door and there was a draft of cold air from outside every time it was opened. I always have the turkey BLT on a wrap and was told it was not available on a wrap. It turned out when we paid the check and mentioned this, if I had been demanding, it is available. My husband's eggs benedict were delicious. My seared salmon salad was about a "D". One small sliver of dried up, tastless salmon with unremarkable lettuce and a tasteless dressing. We were very disappointed.Service fine.We would never order your Bloody Mary's again: too spicey. The inner room (where we have not dined before) needs more light.Special Features:
- The Madd Apple Cafe is a delightfulBettyDined on 10/7/2010The Madd Apple Cafe is a delightful find in Portland; its food is excellent, much organic and always beautifully presented. Its location right next to Portland Stage makes it perfect for those attending that theater.Special Features:
- Ideal for pre-theater. StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2010Ideal for pre-theater. Staff very accomodating. Food well prepared and presented. Delightful wait staff. Try the prix fixe menu which includes a wine with each course. Not too adventurous but very satisfying. Enjoyed the salmon tartare, pork shanks, beef tips and blue cheese risotto.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. SoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2010The food was delicious. So good I wanted to eat more even though I was full. Cute place. My only complaint was there was a roaring noise-- sounded like a train, airplane or generator noise overhead -- off and on. This really disrupted the mood. I finally asked my waitress what the noise was and she said the noise comes from the fan in the mens room. --- Now that should really be fixed or changed.Special Features:
- Great spot for a couple (notCoachMacQDined on 9/17/2010Great spot for a couple (not a group)...located next to Portland Stage Company and they make a nice combo...food was excellent...Atlantic salmon with rice & asparagus was superb...Special Features:
- Small place with friendlyCorndogdadDined on 9/4/2010Small place with friendly atmisphere. Was a little concerned when the first thing put on the table was a couple of cold stale rolls. But things went up hill very fast. Apps. and main coures were outstanding. Prices were very reasonable.Special Features:
- We eat out in Portland almostOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2010We eat out in Portland almost every weekend but had never been to Bibo's before this weekend. The food was great and the atmosphere was perfect - quiet and not pretentious. We will return often.Special Features:
- Our meal was interesting andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2010Our meal was interesting and very good. Toasted Almond Risotto was amazing. Our server was terrific.Special Features: