Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
23 Forest Ave.
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bibosportland.com/
- Phone: 2077749698
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: William Boutwell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can be booked for private parties of 30 or more. We have hosted many rehearsal, graduation, birthday, and retirement parties. Our private menues are created specially for each event.
- Private Party Contact: William Boutwell 2077749698
- Special Events: BiBo's features special wine dinners on a rotating basis. You can find out more by going to www.bibosportland.com. We would also be honored to host your special events.
- Cross Street: between Congress St. and Cumberland Ave.
- Public Transit: The Portland metro bus system has a stop directly across the street from us.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is usually quite a bit of on street parking available and there is a public parking garage just across the street at the Eastland Park Hotel.
A word from Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe
Bibo’s Madd Apple Cafe is a 38 seat independently owned and operated cafe. At BiBo's we stride to provide locally sourced ingredients at an affordable price. We serve lunch, brunch and dinner with our menus changing frequently to highlight ingredients and dishes that are in season. BiBo's provides a comfortable eclectic ambience showcasing art from local artists. We offer an extensive affordable wine list with many specials featured each day. At BiBo's we believe that buying local saves neighborhoods. This is why we deal with local farmers, artisanal cheese makers, and small local suppliers. We have been featured in Down East magazine as a great date restaurant because of the quiet atmosphere. We also feature monthly creative wine dinners and are now offering nightly mini wine dinners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Nice MealGonzo70VIPDined on 9/29/2012My wife and I dined here for our pre-race meal before the Portland Marathon. Dinner was nice, but nothing memorable. The space is nice with a funky, artsy vibe. Service was decent. The menu has a variety of international appetizers with the entrees being more focused on American cuisine with Mediterranean influence and a seafood emphasis. Portions are reasonable and prices are fair for the quality. The savory dishes were all pretty good but the desserts were unfortunately poor (sorbet had ice crystals and pot de creme was nothing like a pot de creme). Come for the savories, but head somewhere else for dessert.Special Features:
- A Perfect Night Out in PortlandOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2012Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe is the perfect place to dine before attending a performance at The Portland Stage Company, which is located only a few feet away from their restaurant. The decor is funky, fun, and colorful and the food is fresh, flavorful, and adventuresome. The service was great and the price appropriate. I would and will go there again and SOON!Special Features:
- Saturday night and we wereCharlieDined on 9/15/2012Saturday night and we were the only two customers at 8 PM. Food was delicious and service couldn't have been better. Hard to understand a very good restaurant being empty on Saturday night.Special Features:
- The meals were obviously cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2012The meals were obviously cooked with great skill, care and creativity. Grilled peaches!! Who would've thought! The seasonings were balanced without being drowned in garlic which is what I find in most restaurants. Our server was friendly and attentive and took care not to hover. It was the best meal I have had in Portland!Special Features:
- My husband and I had a deliciousArlynDined on 8/25/2012My husband and I had a delicious dinner here. We loved the appetizer special. It was two lobster sliders generously filled with lobster meat. My haddock dinner was nice and fresh, and my husband's chipotle braised pork had just the right degree of spiciness. Both dishes came with their own accompaniments that complimented them. It was hard to choose among the desserts, but I really enjoyed the peach ice cream topped with fresh peaches.Special Features:
- In an uncharacteristic turnSwimmasDined on 8/16/2012In an uncharacteristic turn we were able to get a last minute reservation at Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe and were thrilled, as always, to enjoy a special dinner. Everything was wonderful from the service to the drinks to the food.Special Features:
- Wonderful food. My favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2012Wonderful food. My favorite is the Skirt Steak on Blue Cheese Risotto but this time I had the salmon which was cooked perfectly and served on mashed potato that by itself was delicious. My wife had roasted chicken which she loved having the half she took home for dinner the next day. Equal to the food was the service provided by Kate who's attentiveness and helpfulness in choosing something from the menu and wine list made our visit fun and great.Special Features:
- We were a bit disappointedMike2014VIPDined on 7/28/2012We were a bit disappointed in this restaurant. First of all, it's in a pretty seedy area. The bread was homemade and delicious, accompanied by dipping cups containing olive oil in one and cardomen and other spices in the other. We had haddock on spinach and mashed cauliflower and veggie risotto. The former was excellent, the latter a bit dried out. Desserts were excellent, especially the peach cobbler.Special Features:
- Three out of four entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2012Three out of four entrees at our table looked phenomenal and fresh. Unfortunately, it was like the meals weren't seasoned. All four entrees had little flavor to them at all. It was kinda sad. The place was cute... and we really did want the food to be good. Oh well. Maybe we caught them on a bad day?
- Excellent restaurant, foundOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2012Excellent restaurant, found through yelp. Food was really good. When we were there we were the only ones in there until the end, must be more busy on theater nights. On this account, perhaps a bit too quiet. Nice couple runs the place. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/30/2012This was the best meal I've had in a long time. Our group shared a delicious set of three appetizers, the standout for me being an oddly intriguing something along the lines of "Mexican chicken with chipotle salss on fried wonton skins." I had an excellent haddock and corn entree and everyone else liked their short ribs, salmon and scallop meals. On the advice of our server, who wasn't afraid to offer her opinion when asked, I dared to try the dark chocolate tart with crystallized ginger (and some unadvertised Guiness stout to give it some extra zing), and it was a wowza. The only downside of the meal was the initial bread offering, baked and served in a cute clay flowerpot but way too dry. The rest of the meal more than made up for it.Special Features:
- We had a great gathering withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2012We had a great gathering with family and friends before a play at The Portland Stage.Special Features:
- My wife and I had dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/15/2012My wife and I had dinner at Bibo's Madd Apple Cafe while visiting Portland to attend a wedding the following day. We enjoyed the small cozy feeling of the restaurant and the friendly service and the food was wonderful! The bread was freshly baked, the fresh Thai-inspired lobster wraps were a great beginning and both of the seafood entrees we tried were beautifully presented, creatively seasoned and absolutely delicious. After enjoying the first two courses, we could not resist sharing one of their desserts and the chocolate tart with candied ginger was worth every calorie! I recommend this restaurant without hesitation.Special Features:
- My friends and I enjoyed aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2012My friends and I enjoyed a late brunch just before the 4:00 play. I asked for a special change in my dish and was it was graciously granted. We couldn't have been more pleased with the quality of the food and the friendly, professional service. We can't wait to come back for lunch or dinner sometime in the future when we're in town.Special Features:
- For absolutely no reason,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2012For absolutely no reason, had not been back to Bibo's in several yrs. Four of us going to Portland Stage for 7:30 show and since it's 2 doors away, suggested we have dinner there. Dinner was as delicious and as interesting as I remembered. A new restaurant experience for my dining companions and all were delighted w my choice. Waitress attentive and friendly, but not overbearing. Noted when making reservations, attending 7:30 show (as were most other diners) and she was very accommodating to ensure we were on time. We had 4 different entrees - thoroughly enjoyed, 2 had wonderful salads - unfortunately no time for dessert. Food was fresh, well prepared w yummy sides & artfully arranged. Bread delicious. Recommend.Special Features:
- Very nice, reliable restaurant.JTetalDined on 5/4/2012Very nice, reliable restaurant. Always good service.
- I love this restaurant andMainereaderDined on 5/2/2012I love this restaurant and come regularly with friends. The menu is always interesting, the food is wonderful and the atmosphere both a pleasure and very comfortable. I am a fan.Special Features:
- The food is wonderful , aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012The food is wonderful , a playground for your taste buds !Special Features:
- The atmosphere wasn't veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012The atmosphere wasn't very warm. The owner was kind of cold and the waitress efficient but not very friendly.Special Features:
- I had been once before andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2012I had been once before and found the food to be so good that I wanted to bring special guests who enjoy good food as much as I. Finally accomplished bringing the special guests, and they enjoyed the food and atmosphere as much as I. A very fine place to dine.Special Features:
- I ordered the haddock. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2012I ordered the haddock. It was over cooked and dry.
- Great for pre-theaterDelcyDined on 3/30/2012Well-equipped to handle pre-theater diners, and allowing for a casual walk upstairs to Portland Stage Company (instead of a mad dash down the street from another restaurant), Madd Apple Cafe is a consistently high-quality dining experience. A dish of short ribs was massive and delicious; salmon roulade was gorgeously presented and tasty; haddock served with sweet corn salsa was perfectly done. All accompanied by a citrus-y prosecco recommended by the waitperson, and not rushed.Special Features:
- Our first time at Bibo's,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/24/2012Our first time at Bibo's, and it was a great experience. Not any complaints about the food or service. We will go back again for sure!Special Features:
- The food was very good. IOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2012The food was very good. I dont care for the dukka but was able to add some salt and pepper to the oil for flavoring. The foccacia did not seem fresh to me. Would certainly return and would recommend the restaurant to friends. The wait staff was very accomodating for our attendance to the theater. Particularly enjoyed being able to make reservations using the computer.Special Features:
- excellent salmon on a plank!sportytravelerDined on 3/7/2012I had the salmon on a plank which was excellent - I would definitely go out of my way to go there to order it again. One of my dining companions had the flank steak and thought it was overly tough and was very dissatisfied. We were there before the Portland Stage Co play at 7:30, and found it very convenient and the waitress was very pleasant. We had a window seat and were pleased. Small and intimate with about a 5 stool bar.Special Features:
- All that I could ask for whenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2012All that I could ask for when looking for a special dining experience.Special Features:
- Had a really nice dinner here.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/3/2012Had a really nice dinner here. Our server was excellent and the food was quite good. Ingredients were fresh and the flavors were unexpected (like a wasabi creme drizzled on seafood). Loved the decor and quiet ambiance, even on a Friday night. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful farewellkatjastormDined on 1/29/2012We had a wonderful farewell breakfast at the Madd Apple. We started with the Apple Fritter which should not be missed. It was outstanding. I had the Lobster Crab-cake Benedict which was incredibly flavorful, the poached eggs were cooked perfectly and the hollandaise was delicious and rich. My husband had the breakfast quesadilla which was also delicious. This is not usually a dish he orders and he was very pleased with his selection. The service was great and the prices were very reasonable. Reservations are definitely recommended as we saw people getting turned away due to the wait before noon.Special Features:
- Small room, great food, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/27/2012Small room, great food, attentive and pleasant staff. We arrived early, and the staff took us right in. Did not notice that it's beer/wine only, but there was a wide selection available. Crab cakes and pork osso buco were very good. We left as a large party was being seated in close proximity to us; that would have been too "intimate".Special Features:
- Food quality is amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/13/2012Food quality is amazing. Very nice dining, yet affordable.
- Great for those going to seeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2011Great for those going to see a play at Portland State as Bibo's is right next door and will make sure you get to the show on time. We had a wonderfully leisurely dinner (the food was great) of nearly two hours and then strolled the short distance to Portland Stage.Special Features:
- Especially convenient forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2011Especially convenient for Portland Stage, which is next door. Service is very good, as is the food. We ordered two appetizers rather than an appetizer and an entree. and while neither of us was super-hungry, that would have been plenty of food for a normal meal. While relatively small, he place was surprisingly empty for the night of an early performance at Portland Stage, but I assume it fills up later.
- This was the first time weavoidthechainsDined on 12/21/2011This was the first time we had visited Bibbo's and we were pleasantly surprised. The food was wonderful from the presentation to the use of ingredients to the portion size. Absolutely no complaints regarding the service.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding and innovativeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/14/2011Food was outstanding and innovative. Don't miss the desserts! Service tends to rush you a bit perhaps because they serve so many of the pre-theater group.Special Features:
- First Friday (of every month)JudiVIPDined on 12/2/2011First Friday (of every month) Art Walks in Portland showcase a vibrant downtown and dining out at a restaurant in the heart of the arts district is a great night out on the town. Madd Apple Cafe is a nice, reasonably priced option for arts events. My vegetarian risotto was excellent and I was able to choose a half portion and combine it with crab and lobster cakes appetizer for my main course. The menu is eclectic, but most would be able to find something enjoyable. It was quiet when we were there as it is next door to the theater and the play had just begun. The tables are very small and quite close together but since it was quiet when we were dining, it didn't matter.Special Features:
- Great place to dine when goingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/27/2011Great place to dine when going to Portland Stage or the Museum.Special Features:
- Always a favorite when weOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2011Always a favorite when we are in Portland. There are lots of great restaurants in Portland, but Bibo's is not to be missed. A great chef with a focus on local and affordable food. Wish I could get here more often.Special Features:
- Interesting menu, creativeMainereaderDined on 11/9/2011Interesting menu, creative and delicious food, gracious service.Special Features:
- Handy and niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2011We have been to MAC many times, usually before a play next door at Portland Stage. The menu is creative, wine selection good, service attentive....what more could one ask for?Special Features:
- A great place to have dinnerMaineArtCollectorDined on 11/9/2011A great place to have dinner before going to Portland Stage. The Maine crab and loster cakes were excellent as an appetizer. The entres were substantial and very flavorful. A nice selection of desserts. Our server was excellent as well. In all, just what we were looking for before the play.Special Features: