Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
135 West 50th Street
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bobbyvans.com/
- Phone: 2129575050
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Blair Anyan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Bobby Van’s caters to private and semi-private events. Our dining spaces can be divided (through the use of our elegant French doors) into a space as intimate as a party of 10 or can be fully opened to accommodate a party of up to 300.
- Private Party Contact: Kepani Salgato 2129575050
A word from Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street
The combination of a traditional American grill combined with the classic elements of a first-rate steak house best describes Bobby Van’s fourth New York City location. Run by the same four partners who have been awarded Tom Horan’s American Top Ten Steakhouses in each of the past three years, the Grill caters to those seeking the legendary Bobby Van’s Porterhouse as well as lighter dishes such as pastas, salads and fish. All served with the renowned service that has been Bobby Van’s hallmark from its beginnings in 1969. As partner Joseph Hickey said “We’re all about pure, unadulterated customer happiness."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (42)great for lunch (26)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (16)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (14)notable wine list (14)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- DeliciousCanadianCowboyDined on 6/1/2014Right from the bread to the tenderloin everything was superb. Wine list was a little scary if you are just an average cork dork $$$$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant is closed on SundaysLauramessDined on 6/1/2014So we went to Bobby Van's Grill on 45th Street instead and it was great. The chilean sea bass was delicious and the Espresso Martini awesome. Service from the waitstaff was terrific, especially given the fact that my dinner companion was impossible to please. They remained calm, cool and gracious, which is way more than I would have been.Special Features:
- A beautiful place !!!DrmatosoDined on 5/22/2014I recommend...... excellent food, with top quality meat and exemplary service!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyLalaVIPDined on 5/22/2014Food is good...very expensive Really....unless a business is paying,crazy!Special Features:
- The following 996 reviews are from the Bobby Van's Grill - 50th Street reviews archive.
- Great ServicePTCruiser63Dined on 5/21/2014We were seated immediately upon arriving and the service was A plus Staff was professional and courteousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodgrizgirlsVIPDined on 5/10/2014The food was very good but the wine list is very limited. Need more Pinot Grigio options. The wait staff was actually too attentive. Felt very rushed to put our order in yet there were plenty of empty tables. The waitress seemed annoyed we weren't ready but I think 5 minutes between asking is a bit aggressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DiningLittleJ68Dined on 5/7/2014We experienced a perfect pre-theater dinner. The service, food, wine, cocktails, - everything was exceptional. We will definitely be back every time we come to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprising find in time squareelVia2dineDined on 5/4/2014I am an account executive and I was tasked with finding a nice, quiet restaurant in time square, on a Sunday evening for our out-of- town colleagues. I found Bobby Van's on open Table. Booking was so easy: while I was driving I had my Seven-year-old daughter book the reservation for me directly from my galaxy smart phone!!! My colleagues and I had a most enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner after a showJoeFVIPDined on 5/3/2014The staff and food were excellent. Sure it's on the higher priced side but it's NYC and you expect it plus if you don't like the prices in the menu you shouldn't go anyway. I never mind paying the price when the food and service is this great. The filets we had were cooked perfectly and I ordered the fried oysters as an apply from the bar menu, they were great. Not a great wine by the glass list but you'll find something good. My wife and I enjoyed it and will definitely go back.
- ThepencilDined on 4/26/2014Great food and service. Highly recommend. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot before the TheaterLou63Dined on 4/26/2014Before you go the show, stop of at Bobby Van's for a wonderful dinner. If you happen to get Chris as your waiter, it will make your dinner even that much more enjoyable. Great Job !!!Special Features:
- averagetravel4workDined on 4/25/2014Our dinner at Bobby Van's was average in every way. The original seat we were given was too loud and next to the door and we asked to be reseated and were very quickly accomodated... That was good. The service and food were just average. We both had petite filet that was close to $50 ala carte and they both had significant grissle on the end piece... Never experienced before. The bread was cold and butter hard, the salad was average, the brussel sprouts were ok but nothing special. The service was inconsistent, there are several people waiting on you and they were not organized. For example, getting asked about coffee and dessert multiple times. So, average food, average service... Many better options in the area, we won't be back.
- Great dinner experienceStweisDined on 4/25/2014This was the third time we visited this location over the past few years, it has yet to let us down. The food was cooked as ordered and tasted great, the wait staff was professional, the ambiance was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ATrain18Dined on 4/24/2014I would not recommend the rib eye it was full of fat certainly not what we were expecting. The sea bass was very good not great but what really was not up to our standards was the service. The server seemed preoccupied and was not at all helpful. Would not eat here again or recommend to friends staying in the area.Special Features:
- The staff was extremely accommodatiOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/11/2014The staff was extremely accommodating. My family and I were on a time crunch to see a play, the hostess and wait staff checked up to make sure everything was going well and kept our plans in mind. Very personable service. I also left my phone at the table and the hostess held it for me until I was able to pick it up. The food was very good, we had the Petit Filet and Chilean Sea bass, also the watermelon cucumber margarita is very refreshing. Will definitely recommend going here. I will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Went here for pre-theatreTreyDined on 4/11/2014Went here for pre-theatre meal. We were immediately escorted to our table, and our server was very timely in taking our orders and keeping the meal moving along. Unfortunately, the wine list was a bit of a problem, as we had to place 4 orders before we found one that was actually available. Because of time constraints, we ordered straight forward meals-steaks and hamburgers. All were cooked to our satisfaction and had good flavor. A side of sauteed spinach was particularly good. Salads were solid. All in all, a good meal with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huh ?LewisVIPDined on 4/8/2014Ordered a ribeye med rare. Came out after 40 minutes med well. Sent it back. Manager said he checked it and med rare in center! If I wanted a med rare steak get a sirloin. I did and it came out ok. I have been to many steakhouses and had med rare rib eyes ( not just in center ). Huh?
- awesome night outloveagoodsteakDined on 4/6/2014Went to BV's for dinner after a Broadway show ( saw Rocky highly recommend it). I had been there for dinner before with work folks, but never for dinner with the family. We had an awesome dinner, and the service was outstanding. I highly recommend BV's to anyone in the midtown area looking for a great steak. Have the porterhouse cooked pittsberg style, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would returnDLiscDined on 4/5/2014The restaurant had a nice ambience. It is not a romantic spot - but that is what it is. Just depends on what you're looking for. The seating areas are spacious for NYC. The food was excellent. It was on the pricey side. Won't find anything under $40/plate that's worth looking at. But all in all - very good restaurant. Close to the theatre district but offset enough hat you're not in the hustle and bustle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food just ok...service excellentGoadadVIPDined on 4/5/2014I'm sure the beef and shell fish are very good. I had French Onion Soup which was tepid in temperature and bland in taste. That was followed by Chicken Parm which was nothing special. Since it is a steak house I anticipated high prices. Unfortunately I don't think I got value. Most positive note...our waiter was friendly and appropriately attentive.Special Features:
- Delicious!luvgoodsteakDined on 3/29/2014I brought my sister here for her birthday, and the food was delicious - My filet was divine! The staff was friendly and courteous, and the restaurant was peaceful. Definitely will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Dining ExperienceGTownBoyVIPDined on 3/28/2014I eat at Bobby Van'saround the city. My least favorite was this location but agreed to meet a friend for lunch. The restaurant has much improved. Service was available but not overwhelming. The food was good. Each of the 4 of us had various meat, fish,pasta and chicken dishes. All of which er very good and large portions. Good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chefs, taste your food, please.highbarDined on 3/27/2014We went to this location for lunch on a week day. The MC and waiter were VERY attentive. Food was served in a timely fashion. However, we just wished the food was better. The Sweet Chili Tossed Calamari is more like "Soaked", instead of "Tossed". The Sweet Chili sauce tasted like from a jar or bottle completely overpowering the calamari. i asked for medium-well steak pieces for my steak salad. Almost every piece was burnt on the outside. There was barely any "medium" part. The hot dishes were not hot at all. We didn't have high expectation, but just want to have the usual, hearty steak house food. We really don't think we would go back to Bobby Van's again, which is sad!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the pricetonypVIPDined on 3/25/2014With dinner for 2 clocking in at $250 (2 steaks, 2 sides, 1 app, 3 drinks) I didn't feel as though we got good value for our money. The liquor and wine are outrageously priced, even for the neighborhood ($25 for a moderate bourbon and $14 for red wine that was served too warm). The meats were wonderful quality and cooked perfectly, but the sides were nothing special. Service was excellent.
- Cant wait to return.viewsVIPDined on 3/22/2014My friend and I shared the most amazing Dover Sole. My friend enjoyed the soup of the day and I had a nice salad. Our server was so nice and friendly. He gave suggestions and made sure we were able to enjoy our meal and get to our show on time!Special Features:
- Nice evening was had by allMarkDined on 3/15/2014We had a very good time at Bobby Van's last weekend. The food was delicious and service was very good. Only downside is the good was a bit pricey. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Glad we finally made it!JeffVIPDined on 3/13/2014We've passed by Bobby Van's many times saying "we've got to try it". We finally did and it was terrific. There were six of us and we all enjoyed our meals, apps, salads, and entrees all were excellent. My Rib-eye Special was great, both in presentation and taste. We were all so glad we finally made it there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Ourselvesjoy202Dined on 3/7/2014The service and food were very good except for the potatoes. They were like potato sticks out of a bag and it looked like they may have been running out. We went for restaurant week, but the only 2 steaks they offered had a $10 upcharge attached. The steaks were worth it!!!! Very, very good and were cooked just the way we asked. The French Onion soup was just ok, but it was my first time having it so maybe it's supposed to taste like that. My friend who had it at other places said it was good. The drinks were fantastic! We took dessert home. It was very good also. We had the Cheesecake. If the budget allows we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip it if you candenverdinerDined on 3/5/2014I've been here twice for work dinners, both times when we couldn't get any other reservations. Noise level is very high, but not because its "energetic", because the decor is too sterile to absorb normal restaurant noise. I think the service ok. In fairness, they may be just trying not to rush diners, but it tends to drag a little and the ambiance is not so nice that I'd like to linger there. Food and wine choices are fair to average for NYC. Glad I didn't pay for either meal myself.
- Pre TheaterSkichikDined on 3/5/2014This one is right across from the Winter Garden Theater. We ended up sitting at a hitop in the bar area because our friends were going to be late. Our server immediately put a bowl of wings in front of us. I happen to love a place that gives you a little something to munch on before ordering! Food was great, we had the Harry's salad and a pizza. both were delicious and filling. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced- mediocre SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/3/2014Service was good, appetizers were good. The steak being the most expensive part of the meal and also what the restaurant is known for was just OK. We had better steaks for $30 less. Maybe we just had high expectations after paying $260.00 for dinner and only one glass of wine and a bottle of San Pellegrino water and a shared dessert.Special Features:
- Restaurant has a great ambience,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014Restaurant has a great ambience, outstanding service and a great place for a pre theatre dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very salty foodRudyRojoDined on 2/28/2014Well I visited VB for the first time during restaurant week just to get out of my norm places to dine like CGrille and RChris, but i was a smidget disappointed by the oh so salty entrees. put the salt aside and my salmon would have been better. it was swimming in a lake of salty sauce...so was my mother's slice pork sirloin. Didnt try the steak but with both meals being so salty Im glad i didnt bother paying 10+ for the steak. Maybe they are a good place to eat but i wasnt wowed... NYCRW is a time to show case ur best and I just wasnt blown away.The staff however was pretty awesome. told the guy that it was my mom's bday and he was over excited to gather the gang and sung her happy birthday at and had the bday desert with the little candleSpecial Features:
- Really noisyStrunzagopVIPDined on 2/25/2014Typical steakhouse crowd. Very loud at most tables. Good quality food at hight prices. It's a fun place with friendly waiters.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed this timeFoodieVIPDined on 2/25/2014I ahd been to this restaurant a number of times and had liked it. Not on this occasion. My pasta with shellfish was really not good at all. The pasta noodle itself was unrecognizable, limp with a sauce that was too spicy and otherwise did not taste like much. The waiter was unfriendly and looked angry. If I return, I will stick with the dover sole which they do well.
- Good as expected but...RLI75VIPDined on 2/23/2014The food and service was very good...But if you are going to participate in Restaurant Week, you should (1) Give the menu right away instead of having your patrons have to ask for it (2) Not charge extra for certain dishes...It kind of defeats the purpose of Restaurant Week. Besides, a restaurant can always charge $17.50 for a Sangria or $8.50 for a beer...That is what we paid for our drinks with our meal. I understand the whole expensive steakhouse in Manhattan theory and it would be a travesty if they didn't overcharge for alcohol...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bobby Van Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2014My coworkers and I took advantage of restaurant week for dinner on Friday 2/2014. So very happy we did. The restaurant buzzed with excited energy and was comfortably full with seemingly satisfied patrons. The food was excellent. The drinks were pricey but well prepared. The waiter we had was a bit brazen but not rude. This waiter is either not happy or had a rough week. All in all an A grade in my book.Special Features:
- Loved the experience.ElvanlovesfoodDined on 2/21/2014That's a perfect restaurant. Everything is in place and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2014 Winter Restaurant Week LunchSquareLiVIPDined on 2/21/2014We are a group of three, so almost tried everything on the menu. The salad and soup is good but nothing special. Ribeye entree is excellent! We order medium and it's very tender and juicy! Salmon and pasta are good. The desserts are just gorgeous!!! We ordered everything (chocolate truffle cake, cheesecake and Panna Cotta) and they are all sooooooooo delicious. The best dessert enjoyment ever!! Overall highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Restaurant weekcestmoi26VIPDined on 2/20/2014Went for Restaurant week, as expected, excellent choices, great service, and my food was very well made with good portions.Special Features: