722 W. DeKalb Pike at Village Square
Blue Bell, PA 19422Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.radicerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6102725700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday 11:45am - 2:00pm
Sunday through Thursday - 5pm to 10pm
Friday and Saturday - 5pm to 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Donna Ewanciw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Radice
Radice [ra-dee-chay,] ‘root’ in Italian, serves farm-fresh food that is cooked in Delaware Valley’s largest wood burning oven! 90” in diameter, it is one of the famous Renato ovens created especially for Radice. With 80% of the menu cooked in the oven, Radice offers food that is healthy, delicious and unique! Toto Schiavone once again introduces Philadelphians to his heritage of the true and simply Italian world of authentic village cooking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Radice reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (59)special occasion (39)good for groups (30)romantic (25)great for outdoor dining (20)notable wine list (20)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (11)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Saturday night reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/9/2010Saturday night reservation @ 7:45...Waited for 20 minutes...Seated in front room...Very energetic (borderline noisy)...Service was friendly & efficient...Food was excellent! Will return mid-week rather than a Saturday night. Overall ~ Very nice experience! Will definately recommend to friends.Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2010This was our first time at this restaurant and it was good.
- Friendly, efficient serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/7/2010Friendly, efficient service from the moment we walked into the restaurant. Quality and quantity of food was perfect. A restaurant that I would highly recommend and one that will return to.
- We found "radice" to be allOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2010We found "radice" to be all we expected and more! The food was wonderfully fresh and inventive, while retaining simple Italian overtones. The wood-burning oven is amazing! This is the best of the new dining experiences we've had in the last year!Special Features:
- first time, pleasant environment,anonymousVIPDined on 10/1/2010first time, pleasant environment, attentive service, well-balanced menu with lots of choices Recommend: salads, looking forward to returning
- Great restaurant - authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/1/2010Great restaurant - authentic food, prepared with love!Special Features:
- We loved the food at Radice.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2010We loved the food at Radice. The lighting was way too bright. It is a beautiful restaurant but the lighting was just overwhelming. We will be back for lunch but it was too bright for a dinner spotSpecial Features:
- Ambitious menu not alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2010Ambitious menu not always matched in quality with incredibly poor and inept service.
- We arrived about 5 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/25/2010We arrived about 5 minutes early for an 8:00 reservation. We were told we would have to wait a few minutes. We waited about 20-25 mintues and then saw two other tables of 2 that came in after us with 8:15 reservations seated before us. We said something to the hostess and said played dumb and said she thought we were a different couple. We suspect that we were skipped over because of our age (late 20's). The owner was clearly flustered and we saw him be rude toward quite a few other diners. Once we sat down our server came right over. The owner went to drop food at our table and a few others close by, but didn't say a word. Just put the food on the table and walked away. He did the same when clearing some plates.
- We had a wonderful time atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/24/2010We had a wonderful time at Radice. Everything was superb: food, service, attention to detail, wine, etc. Loved the atmosphere with the oven in the center of the restaurant. We had a group of six and ordered about 12 items, from the very original menu, to share. It was great for our group to be able to try numerous dishes. Some favorites were the rissoto, the "wedge" salad, the wild mushroom pizza, the ravioli, just to name a few. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant for a special evening without being too fancy or stuffy.Special Features:
- The small plates were notKmobVIPDined on 9/21/2010The small plates were not so small. I had a salad that would have served nicely for my entree. The small plate lasagna was the best I've ever tasted. The service was very good. Our server was courteous and efficient. I will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- We loved it. It was a funOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2010We loved it. It was a fun way to eat. Toto was a charmer as usual.Special Features:
- Unusual twist on the ubiquitousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2010Unusual twist on the ubiquitous Italian restaurant. Radice has very creative recipes for simple foods resulting in a fresh vibrancy compared to many classic Italian restaurants. At my next visit, I look forward to trying anything grilled or cooked in their wood burning stove. Taking upon himself to truly test the restaurant, my husband enjoyed the liver immensely. And even I - who hates liver - had to admit that it was better than any I have ever eaten. The desserts include the usual canoli and tiramisu but we enjoyed the grilled peaches and shortbread desserts that were heavenly! The noise level was a little high, especially when trying to hear our waitress but the crisp white atmosphere is refreshing.Special Features:
- We ordered 5 small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2010We ordered 5 small plates for two diners. Plenty of food. All of it was delicious. Arugula salad was a bit overdressed. Will order dressing on side next time. Both of our desserts were yummy- homemade gelato and cannolli. Love the white, simple interior-it gives the restaurant a fresh feel. Noise level wasn't too bad, considering the high ceilings.Special Features:
- While we waited for our guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2010While we waited for our guests we had a drink at the bar. The wine was great & the bartender very friendly. Our table of four decided to share lots of appetizers. Our waitress spaced them perfectly. I would have trouble picking a favorite because every one was fabulous! My husband especially liked the pizza because he said it was so much like the pizza we had in Rome. On a previous visit we ordered a dinner & that was wonderful as well. I have visited this restaurant three times since it opened & plan to visit again frequently. I would highly recommend it & suggest trying several of the appetizers. Yum!Special Features:
- Radice, like Moonstruck, andzmanDined on 9/9/2010Radice, like Moonstruck, and DiLullo's before, is a very fine dining experience. We would give it the very best rating for a restaurant of its kind. It is a place will will frequent with regularity.Special Features:
- Menu is very interesting -goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2010Menu is very interesting -good for some, not for others, check with your party ahead of time. Service is very attentive, they can handle being busy and not neglect anyone!
- This was a huge disappointment.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/3/2010This was a huge disappointment. I loved the decor when we were seated and became hopeful when I saw that the restaurant was packed at 6:45pm. The evening went downhill from there. We sat for 5 minutes before someone said,"oh, you need menus. The waitstaff was very inexperienced and did not know the menu or seem to be reachAble. One customer was left to wave his credit card for 5 minutes in order to get his check. I got the wrong item and it was charred black. The rest of the meal was unsatisfying other than the clams. Www did not stay for dessert as we heArd a neighboring table complain about it. We won't be back.
- Menu primarily small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2010Menu primarily small plates which we weren't interested in. Regular entree choices very limited. My Radice salad was very good; my entree was not.
- Radice aspires to be moreOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2010Radice aspires to be more than it is. The food was good, but not great. The small plates were inviting, but failed to live up to our expectations. The clean feeling white and green atmosphere was very inviting and comfortable. The service was very good. We felt the restaurant was overpriced. With all the great choices in the surrounding area, we are in no hurry to go back.
- Very disappointing! This wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2010Very disappointing! This was our third time at Radice on a weekend night. On this visit , we were a party of 5 and the restaurant was out of everyone's salad choice & everyone's entree choice. All were from the everyday menu; not specials. We should have left after the pizza and drinks. The restaurant is very rigid considering they have a chef on the premises who should be able to whip up just about any plain piece of fish. How do they expect people to return to their restaurant if on a Saturday nite at 9 they are out of food? It is not inexpensive. If they are going to charge center city prices they should have a center city mentality. I realize it is in the suburbs but come on; being out of food!!
- Not a very good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2010Not a very good experience. Food was fair and the service was very unattentive. Disappointing at best.
- Good Food, nice portions albeit/TapOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2010Good Food, nice portions albeit/Tapas selections Good Wine selection - nice tour of Italy in Bluebell, PA.Special Features:
- Extremely good food; wellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2010Extremely good food; well prepared. True Italian peasant food. Bean soup was the best I have ever had at a restaurant.Special Features:
- The food was very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2010The food was very good. The service was very good.Special Features:
- this is a 5+ experience. ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2010this is a 5+ experience. ambiance is clean and fresh....food is a wonderful experience of taste....this is a must
- This restaurant consitantlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2010This restaurant consitantly has graeat food. Luncha nd dinner - we love the tapas style dining. There are entree's as well and the desserts will melt in your mouth. We even had a private party here and everyone raved over the food. they were very accomodating.Special Features:
- 2 private rooms allow forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/20102 private rooms allow for small parties. Ours was a table of 10, and the room-actually a light-filled wine cellar-accommodated another table of similar size. Service was excellent. The food was wonderful though the portions-esp. entrees-were somewhat skimpy.Special Features:
- Excellent service. I feltOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2010Excellent service. I felt like royalty. The food was really good. Alot of gourmet items; things that are a little different from the pure (home style) Italian my family know. I look forward to bringing my friends here. The canolis are excellent. Melt in your mouth with lemoncello.Special Features:
- We have been to Radice twice.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/12/2010We have been to Radice twice. I loved the small plate concept-and the food was good.We had to wait for our table both times-the second time over 30 mins after our reserved time. If that continues, I would not want to return on a regular basis-both reservations were on a thursday eve, not a weekend nite.Our server both times was a little inexperienced, and drinks came slowly, we had to ask for bread. But we enjoyed it, and will certainly go backSpecial Features:
- Terrific for 'tastings' (likeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2010Terrific for 'tastings' (like Spanish tapas) or full meal. Very friendly, professional and informative staff.Special Features:
- We very much enjoyed our meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2010We very much enjoyed our meal. The menu choices were unique and different, we enjoyed what we ordered very much. The only gripe we had, was that the service was very quick, we felt rushed. We received our salad and entree at the same time. We ordered 3 small plates, a salad and an entree and felt as though we couldn't quite enjoy all of it because more plates were being brought out and others taken away. On a positive note, the owner was present and walking around to every table. He cane to ours several times with suggestions and to ask how everything was. This was a nice touch, as it's not often we get to not only see the owner, but speak to him and ask for suggestions. This we found, personalized our experience.Special Features:
- Food was very good and wellSuburbanFoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2010Food was very good and well prepared up till dessert. We ordered gelato, which had the consistency of ice milk. Gelato should not have ice crystals and taste gritty on the tongue. It should be smooth and creamy. When we pointed this out to the waiter, he did not offer us an alternative desert and still charged us $8 for the two spoonfuls we had tried before sending it back. He stated that he'd talk to the chef, but we got no follow up on that. This was the homemade gelato that was prominently featured on the menu. They would do better procuring gelato from a local establishment like Toto's in Ambler that knows how it should taste and feel. It was a disappointing finish to the meal and left us displeased about the overall experience.Special Features:
- We had a very pleasatn diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2010We had a very pleasatn dining experience. Although dissapointed in menu slectons.Special Features:
- My friend and I enjoyed itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2010My friend and I enjoyed it very much and we would definitely go back. I live in the city and she lives in the Blue Bell area. We thought the menu offered a very nice variety. You are able to get small plates as well as entrees. Needles to say, Toto was a great host.Special Features:
- The menu is unusual and interestingpointloma2Dined on 8/4/2010The menu is unusual and interesting. Plates are meant to be shared but the tables do not allow room for all the plates you need to do that. The all white interior was too stark for me and the noise level very high. However I will definitely return!Special Features:
- Nice addtion to the neighborhood.ElsieDined on 7/31/2010Nice addtion to the neighborhood. But a little pricey. Deserts could be better and service a little more seamless. Pretty place. good luckSpecial Features:
- We ordered 6 small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/31/2010We ordered 6 small plates and a bottle of wine. Wine was good and sommelier was helpful. Bread did not come for 45 minutes. First plate, oysters came out cold after one hour. Waited 15 more minutes for mushrooms, they were hot. Another 10 minutes went by and got lasagna, dish was hot. Waited maybe 20 more minutes and last 3 dished came out. Braccioli was cold and inedible. Other dishes were ok. Waiter, manager and owner were all very apologetic. Sent over desserts and after dinner drink. Desserts had no taste. The food basically was bland and all the same seasonings were used in the dishes, no variation. Good idea for a small plate restaurant. They need to get it together. Would not go back.
- A wonderful addition to thejoanneDined on 7/31/2010A wonderful addition to the neighborhood. The atmosphere is light and inviting. The food was wonderful....an overall dining experience. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- I live about a half mile fromOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2010I live about a half mile from Radice and my first experience with the restaurant was a very good one. The food was excellent and the variety was interesting and unique. Both the owner and manager came over to our table to ensure that we had a good dining experience, which I greatly appreciated. The restaurant that was formerly in this location was a little pricey. In fact, when I wished the owner success with Radice he mentioned that fair pricing was an important determinant to a restaurant's success. I hope that Radice does well since I plan to be a regular patron.Special Features: