2102 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.revivalbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 5105499950
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00-10:00pm
Sundays 5:00- 9:30
Late Night Menu Thursday, Friday & Saturday 10:00-11:00
Happy Hour Tuesday-Friday 3:00-6:00
Live music on Thursday nights!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Amy Murray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Revival Bar + Kitchen provides excellent and innovative lunch box catering in downtown Berkeley. We create tasty, and organic menus with generous options for interesting sandwiches, grain salads, vegetable salads, and desserts.
- Entertainment: We are hosting special events on occasion. Please sign up for our email list (via our website). We will send out announcements a few weeks prior to events. Your email will remain confidential.
- Special Events: Revival Bar+Kitchen features culinary, cocktail, and musical events on occasion. Special Artisan Wine Dinners, and Thematic Farmer Menus are our specialty. Sign up for our email list to get notified. Your email will remain confidential.
- Cross Street: Addison
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART is just a few steps away. It's a major hub for AC transit as well.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking may be tight, but there are numerous options for reasonably-priced pay lots within a few blocks. Downtown Berkeley Parking Map link on our website.
A word from Revival Bar+Kitchen
Revival Bar+Kitchen is serving distinctive, locally sourced, farm-to table, snout-to tail, utterly delicious food for dinner. The full bar is mixing original, hand-crafted cocktails, and our bar menu is available to satisfy after-the-show appetites. We have a 40 person private room for everything from business dinners to wedding parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Revival Bar+Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Revival Bar+Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)vibrant bar scene (72)special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (33)romantic (28)notable wine list (20)hot spot (16)late-night find (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Our second visit to RevivalMichaelDonnerVIPDined on 7/23/2010Our second visit to Revival was a very good experience. Our first time was mixed. Although I appreciated the very creative, locally sourced menu. Some dishes were excellent, others ho hum. This time everything was clicking, including the service. A watermelon salad, goat merguez soup with meatballs and pork four ways demonstrated the range of Amy Murray's skills and kitchen. The goat meatballs in the soup were dense, chewy and delicious. The pork belly confit was rich and flavorful. Revival is a welcome addition to the East Bay dining scene.Special Features:
- We had a pre-theater dinnermwkoaktownDined on 7/23/2010We had a pre-theater dinner with five adults and a 9 month old baby. The food is very good, and the service was excellent with our waiter very considerate of the 9 month old. Knowing that we have show tickets, everything was served in a timely manner. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The Pig Plate was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2010The Pig Plate was delicious as was the duck. They have interesting alcoholic drinks. The wait staff was very attentive and accommodating.Special Features:
- Although the food we orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2010Although the food we ordered was excellent, both my friend and I felt that the dishes we ordered were the ONLY ones on the menu we could order...everything else had some elements that we didn't want. For example: I wanted to order the Sonoma duck, but it had liver not only as a side but also in the rice...Special Features:
- The dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/15/2010The dining experience was pleasant and the food was good. But we were overcharged for the starters. They charged us dinner prices instead of lunch prices.Special Features:
- I revived my taste buds atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2010I revived my taste buds at Revival. After back-to-back experiences of culinary let downs, I finally stumbled upon this barely new establishment. From the ambiance to the service to the drinks and most importantly to the food, everything was above average, if not excellent. Ambiance: Tables are spaced comfortably apart, so bumping elbows and listening in on a neighboring tables conversation is avoidable. Service: Unattentively attentive. Our waiter gave us our space, but knew when it was the perfect time to step in and give us some love. He knew the menu well, and was helpful in chosing our wine choices. They also coat check your food leftovers. Drinks: A good stiff pour with a hint of sophistication. Food: Our table tried aSpecial Features:
- Frankly, this is a new placeHungrymamaVIPDined on 7/11/2010Frankly, this is a new place that is very uneven. One of our party ordered sardines on browned(?) cauliflower. The sardines were perfect, but the cauliflower was dried out and totally without flavor. The salads were ample and dressed to perfection, but the"green goddess" had large pieces of carrots, which needed cutting and contributed nothing to the dish. Finally. there was a long (very long) wait between salad and main course. We were going to the theater. If we had wanted dessert and coffee, it would have been a big rush.Special Features:
- Revival was a delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2010Revival was a delicious and unexpected treat to add to the growing restaurant scene in downtown Berkeley. Who'd have thunk? Our flatbread was incredible and rivals my favorite dish at Ame in SF (albeit totally divergent genres). The flatbread had a homemade pureed pesto sauce with grilled corn anad mouth popping cherry tomatoes. The thinly shaved zucchini strips made this a little heartier. This dish was light, amazingly flavorful although the sauce did play a bit to the salty side. The fritto misto was not as light and pleasing as the one on Five's menu. The beet salad had ample beets and a perfect tangy vinigrette. The atmospere was more atypically Berkeley, which I liked - more down to earth than Five, less hectic and noisy than Gather..Special Features:
- We went at lunch time on aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2010We went at lunch time on a workday so it wasn't very crowded and there wasn't much noise. Everything was top notch and I would definitely invite people there again!Special Features:
- Excellent replacement forOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/3/2010Excellent replacement for the old Downtown. Revival did a nice job on the interior. Very comfortable, large well-spaced tables. Interesting and creative menu. The duck confit and halibut cheeks were both delicious. Sardines for starters and a little gems salad made for a satisfying dinner. Dessert was not the high point and they don't know how to make a decaf coffee, but I'm sure, with time, they'll learn. Very friendly and well-meaning service, if a bit amateur. Prices were reasonable for the quality of the food. A nice addition to downtown Berkeley.Special Features:
- We were very happy to findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2010We were very happy to find our favorite location for pre-Aurora Theater dinner to be re-opened. The ambiance was every bit as wonderful as when the restaurant was Downtown. The avocado and bay shrimp salad was phenomenal. The menu was a bit limited, but we were still able to find things we enjoyed.Special Features:
- I must admit disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/30/2010I must admit disappointment in Revival. It has a great bar, and the cocktails are fabulous, butbthe menu and ambience are sub-par. Menu is too strange, and downtown Berkeley needs a reliable restaurant where you have a wide range of price points. At this point, I can't imagine Revival being around for much longer.Special Features:
- Food was basically good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2010Food was basically good, but lacked the robust flavors, variety, and creativity associated with owner's other venue, Venus. Service not so great - our waiter seemed distracted, slow, had a consistently hard time remembering requested beverages. Ambiance unimpressive - no warmth, no buzz. Will probably go back just because it's close to theatre, but am genuinely sorry to report that it wasn't all that memorable in any way.
- The food was just excellentBerkeleyPantherVIPDined on 6/26/2010The food was just excellent and there was a very interesting selection. The price is very reasonable for the quality of the food. The location is great, right across the street from the Berkeley re and the entrance is right in front of a BART entrance. We really enjoyed ourselves and are looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Unique menu. I'd prefer aOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2010Unique menu. I'd prefer a few more items of broader range for Starters; I think offering flatbreads is not best choice, though delicious. Goat stew dish was superb, as was beef dish. Suggest they replace the existing dish towel napkins with ones that are not so linty. Couple of us left with excessive amount of lint on our dark clothes.Special Features:
- Good revival of Downtown. ConcernedJinruigakushaDined on 6/25/2010Good revival of Downtown. Concerned about pre-theatre patrons. Knolwedgable waiters. Interesting food and wine list. Worth a try. Nelson GraburnSpecial Features:
- It's still early, too earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2010It's still early, too early in the life of Revival to make a judgmental comment. Welcome was warm, server tended to rush at the beginning and then not sure where he went when there were empty plates on the table. Doubled up on the wine order and forgot one of the deserts. All this can be fixed and expect it will as one who was one of he first to dine at Venus can remember ts teething days. Food...we had the tuna (gentle rave) and the pork plate (really, really good). Soup appetizer seemed bland at the beginning but mix of flavors came to the fore. I'll be back... I will definitely drop in for a drink as the bar scene was busy and I saw lots for friends...maybe it will become a neighborhood bar as well as restaurant.Special Features:
- Very interesting and unusualMichaelDonnerVIPDined on 6/18/2010Very interesting and unusual cuisine. The creativity of the menu was not quite matched by the quality, although I hope this will improve over time. The server was very nice and quite charming but seemed relatively inexperienced. Overall a good experience that I hope will live up to its promise and get better over time.Special Features:
- They are doing a good jobOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2010They are doing a good job at opening. They were thoughtful and really cared about feedback on the food. The meal was good, but there were parts that were not - ex. the escabeche or pickled vegetables were like a mouthfull of vinegar and hot sauce. If they take the feedback to heart, they will be a great restaurant. I think they will be able to get 5 stars soon.
- The food was wonderful! We'reOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/17/2010The food was wonderful! We're almost sorry that the menu will change depending upon what's available, because we really want to order one of each. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- 1st visit and not impressed.AredubVIPDined on 6/17/20101st visit and not impressed. Hostess spent 5 minutes dealing with a take-out order, ignoring patrons at the door. Then the wine list she gave me was missing one side - no red wines were listed, and the menu I got didn't match the menu my wife got. Service was erratic: too fast at first (wanted to take our order moments after we'd sat down) then disappeared for long periods. The food was nice, but under-seasoned. The chickpea puree on the arugula salad needed at least salt, ideally cumin or garlic or lemon or something, & the crispy pig ears were leathery and tasteless. The pork rillettes with pimenton needed more pimenton and salt. Fig/marrow flatbread was my favorite item, but not worth a trip. I hope they just need time.
- We love Venus, frequentedminnieVIPDined on 6/15/2010We love Venus, frequented Downtown and had been looking forward to Revival. Very disappointing. The food was not at all exciting and service was abysmal - not as a result of the server who tried hard but the kitchen couldn't seem to get the food out. We had theater and had allowed plenty of time but we barely got to eat our dessert and never got the coffee we ordered.
- Farm-to-table, unique dishes,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2010Farm-to-table, unique dishes, relaxed atmosphere, totally enjoyable. The restaurant is still brand-spanking new, so they're still getting a few kinks out. Get in before it starts to get crowded!Special Features:
- total disaster; arrived 6:15.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/12/2010total disaster; arrived 6:15. 7:50 received 3 of 6 items ordered. requested salads first (never got) at 6:40 - received water and bread. received partial order at 7:15- fries, one appetizer (squash blossoms ' one tempura and zucchini slices - not per menu description ) and one 'hot' side dish of three squashes (good flavors but it was cold as you would expect a salad course); never received little gem salad or lamb sweetbread appetizer or avocado/shrimp salad. wait staff said - we are short in the kitchen (someone did not show up) and the 'kitchen' made big mistakes'. '1 hour 40 minutes and no dinner' - we went for great 'gelato next door' and off to the theater hungry. This was worst restaurant experince 40 years of bay area dining.
- The menu is pretentious usingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2010The menu is pretentious using words none of the 4 of us ever heard. The food was average and not inexpensive. The service was poor- not our server specifically- but my husband waited a full ten minutes after the other 3 of us were served. We finally brought it to our server's attention and she apologized. The food still took a while to come out. The manager comped us desserts which was very nice but I don't expect that we will return with so many good restaurants in the area.
- The restaurant is trying sooakladyVIPDined on 6/11/2010The restaurant is trying so hard to be esoteric there was nothing on the menu to eat! Nothing simple! Very few choices for vegetarians. Their other restaurant, Venus, is my favorite. I was hoping this would be like Venus. I can't go back until they start offering items for people who like plain, simple food prepared very well.
- Revival has good potential.JenniferBDined on 6/10/2010Revival has good potential. The menu is nice. Ambiance is relaxing and I love that the tables are not real close together. We ate late, so only had entrees and shared one appitezer(Halibut Cheeks, Pork 3 ways and squash blossoms). Halibut cheeks were fabulous. So were the squash blossoms. I will crave them and need to go back for more. I love pork. Theirs was done three ways. It was good,not great. The goat dish sounds interesting. I want to try it next time. I hope Revival does well. I like having choices in downtown. Good location for dinner and movie.Special Features:
- Sadly, the food at RevivalOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/10/2010Sadly, the food at Revival was disappointing, which is a shame as we need an excellent restaurant in downtown Berkeley. The restaurant seems to be trying too hard to be fussy, fancy and exotic. The main courses are expensive for food that isn't special in quality. I fear this restaurant won't survive long. It needs to serve simpler, better food at lower prices to fill this large room. The decor is dark and somewhat oppressive.
- Revival is just what BerkleyDinnerVIPDined on 6/5/2010Revival is just what Berkley needed... a resturant with a vibrant atmosphere, great food and outstanding service. Wee worth a visit and sure to became your favoriteSpecial Features:
- Great bar, good wine list.AlanVIPDined on 6/4/2010Great bar, good wine list. A fascinating array of food perfectly prepared—should delight anybody with taste. Tables are widely spaced, giving some privacy and a pleasant atmosphere. They are still working out the rough spots in the service (we were there on it's 10th night after opening), but it all worked out wonderfully. You'll have a great evening at reasonable price, but don't arrive 1 hour before curtain.Special Features:
- I am a fan of Venus, and hadTerryDined on 6/3/2010I am a fan of Venus, and had high hopes for Revival. But the food wasn't as good as Venus--maybe the chef is trying too hard. I had the squid appetizer, which although tasty, was overworked. There were too many elements to sort out. The goat was good also, very tender and tasty, but could have used a bit more "green" in it. For dessert I had a serving of coffee ice cream, which had a puzzling pile of crumbs under it that overwhelmed it. Maybe a few of the crumbs on top would have worked. The wine list was overpriced, but the bottle we ordered was quite good. On the really plus side, the staff is terrific. They obviously want things to work, and that goes a long way. I'm anxious to return when Revival has had a chance to settle down.Special Features:
- Our first experience at theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/2/2010Our first experience at the newly-opened Revival was positive all the way. Our food choices were very tasty. We had an attentive waiter and we were given samples of wines in order to make a good choice. We will definitely return here often.Special Features:
- Interesting menu. Duck andJaneVIPDined on 5/29/2010Interesting menu. Duck and mousse dessert were especially mmm-mmm- good.Special Features:
- Great to see this space backteamVIPDined on 5/27/2010Great to see this space back in use - love the lower bar counter - food seems excellent with good selection of appetizers and good dishes for sharing. Was there the first week so fairly quiet. Look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:
- Excellent meal and service.StevAVIPDined on 5/27/2010Excellent meal and service. Generous portions. Pleasant ambiance. Great to discover the perfect spot for anytime dining. Well done from first to last. Glad the quality is even higher than previous restaurant. Very satisfied.Special Features: