2102 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.revivalbarandkitchen.com/
- Phone: 5105499950
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00-10:00pm
Sundays 5:00- 9:30
Late Night Menu Thursday, Friday & Saturday 10:00-11:00
Happy Hour Tuesday-Friday 3:00-6:00
Live music on Thursday nights!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Amy Murray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Revival Bar + Kitchen provides excellent and innovative lunch box catering in downtown Berkeley. We create tasty, and organic menus with generous options for interesting sandwiches, grain salads, vegetable salads, and desserts.
- Entertainment: We are hosting special events on occasion. Please sign up for our email list (via our website). We will send out announcements a few weeks prior to events. Your email will remain confidential.
- Special Events: Revival Bar+Kitchen features culinary, cocktail, and musical events on occasion. Special Artisan Wine Dinners, and Thematic Farmer Menus are our specialty. Sign up for our email list to get notified. Your email will remain confidential.
- Cross Street: Addison
- Public Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART is just a few steps away. It's a major hub for AC transit as well.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking may be tight, but there are numerous options for reasonably-priced pay lots within a few blocks. Downtown Berkeley Parking Map link on our website.
A word from Revival Bar+Kitchen
Revival Bar+Kitchen is serving distinctive, locally sourced, farm-to table, snout-to tail, utterly delicious food for dinner. The full bar is mixing original, hand-crafted cocktails, and our bar menu is available to satisfy after-the-show appetites. We have a 40 person private room for everything from business dinners to wedding parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Revival Bar+Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Revival Bar+Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)vibrant bar scene (66)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (50)good for groups (39)romantic (31)hot spot (24)notable wine list (21)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Hard to find something appealingRiverDined on 7/31/2014Strange menu. Limited choices. Poor results. My companion felt the same way. Too bad because restaurant is well located for entertainment.Special Features:
- Close to the theatre, and elegant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014We started with their Greek flatbread which consisted of salami, onions and feta cheese - an outstanding beginning. My wife and her friend had the gnocchi, and it was truly elegant. I had the burger which was perfectly cooked and came with either fries or a side salad (I chose the salad). We shared two desserts. The mini doughnuts, and the key-lime tortes. Both were outstanding, but my favorite was the doughnut dish which was freshly made (our server indicated it would be an additional 15 minutes - but certainly worth the wait.). There was a modest but more than sufficient wine list, and outstanding coffee at the end. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Gift certificate recipientPumaIIIDined on 7/30/2014A gift certificate that languished in a drawer for some years was finally redeemed and led to one of our most memorable meals we have experienced in the Bay Area. Service was excellent. It was obvious that several staff had an eye on our table and checked with us appropriately without making us feel hovered over. Cocktails were festive and contained novel ingredients. The food was fabulous and innovatively prepared. We tried a variety of dishes including house made charcuterie, duck confit flat bread, curly kale salad and a most extraordinary Farallon Island black cod, by far the most perfectly cooked fish ever experienced. The menu changes constantly to take advantage of the freshest and most desirable of local ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchFlipperVIPDined on 7/29/2014Went to dinner before show at Berkeley Rep. Food out of this world. The heirloom tomato salad was the best I ever had. The duck pate served with gherkins, onion, mustard and chutney was a great first choice. The duck was tender, rare (as I ordered) and just the right amount. In fact all portions were substantial but not overwhelming. The service was a little slow but we easily made the show. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to bebellbellDined on 7/26/2014We've been coming to Revival since 2011 and there's been a definate decline in the quality of food as well as the service. In the early days, the food was high quality and the wait staff was enthusiastic about their jobs. I was there Saturday and our bartender seemed distracted and focused on activities other than serving customers. In fact, she sort of seemed to avoid the customers who were at the bar with us, doing things that didn't appear as important as serving patrons like wiping an already clean counter and moving glasses - mere inches - on the bar behind her. As we sat down for dinner, our server had what I could only describe as this mild sneer on his face, like he couldn't wait to leave for the night. Revival needs reviving!
- Revival Bar and KitchenCarnivoreDined on 7/23/2014The charcuterie was very good, but marred by unneeded salad items. I would have preferred more regular bread in place of a huge plate of crostini . My mixed grill had the same problem, and lacked some classic items, such as mushrooms, kidneys , and bacon. I would not in lude a sausage. The server twice bumped into me. The wine service began well, but we were left to refill our own glasses.
- Wish the food was betterfoodloverDined on 7/19/2014This is a great location and the restaurant has a lot going for it--except the food is really a disappointment. I had the duck entree--tough breast, dry leg, yucky pistachio pistou. It didn't even look appealing. My partner had the lamb shank, which was a bit better. We ordered a side of french fries, which thankfully were really good, and we had a few desserts, which were so-so. Everything was overpriced for what we got. Too bad!
- JerryDined on 7/13/2014The fried chicken was very tasty. I was disappointed, however, in the somewhat limited menu, and was hoping to get salmon, for which they had advertised earlier in the season. One issue was with the room temperature -- it was uncomfortably warm until we brought it to their attention, at which point they turned up the air conditioning. We appreciated the immediate response.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!EssieDined on 7/12/2014The food was wonderful, the service friendly and efficient. Pricey but worth it!Special Features:
- Tasty but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014Food was a little pricey for the amount received. However, it was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1046 reviews are from the Revival Bar+Kitchen reviews archive.
- Fun place to dine!JKKADined on 7/1/2014Four of us dined at Revival before going to Berkeley Rep. It's upbeat and the staff is extremely cordial. We all enjoyed our food but there are a few too many lamb entrees for me (since I don't eat lamb) so I feel that the menu is a bit limited. Having said that, the two of us who don't eat lamb, found other very good things to eat. The flatbread is a must!!! This is a foodies restaurant...creative...interesting flavors and combinations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and OriginalTapasDined on 6/29/2014Overall an enjoyable experience although the restaurant is rather noisy. Service was friendly and attentive. We enjoyed the duck breast and knowing that we were partaking in a farm-to-table experience. The price seemed reasonable for the Berkley area. Not sure that we will return since there are many other great restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- CARNEVORE'S PARADISEOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/28/2014used this several times as a pre-theateer venue. Other than the high noise level, it is very good. Most of the complicated meat charcuterie is made on premises. Cheese plate is one of the best in town As to wine, small list but has taken the sensible step of making the house wines a rotating selection of kegs--ie., not bottle by bottle Thus fresher, and more various, and local.Special Features:
- Hopefully not the end?StanDined on 6/27/2014We've been to Revival at least half a dozen times since it opened and it's always been fantastic. This last Friday night it was decidedly mediocre. Of the four small plates we ordered--fritto misto, calamari, kale salad, and flatbread--the fritto misto was great, and everything else was ho hum. To top it all off, the "devil's chocolate cake," THE dessert that our waiter categorically recommended, was very pretty to look at and so over-the-top cloyingly sweet as to be completely inedible with no sense of subtlety. (Hopefully not intended to be prepared that way.)I would recommend this to a friend.
- near theatreeaterDined on 6/27/2014our server was attentive to our theatre time, he asked if we had a curtain to make and brought the check on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and loudOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/27/2014The noise prohibits carrying on a conversation. I had the duck breast for $25. It was good but not that good! It is very convenient for two theaters, but I think we will see if there is a better restaurant for us.
- HenriDined on 6/27/2014Our waiter was outstanding. The food suburb. They always have new drinks and he was very helpful in suggesting something we might like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service missed the markanecDined on 6/26/2014Sorry, could not recommend this restaurant going forward, although we have dined there on many occasions. The wait staff changed part way through the dining experience and pertinent information was not passed forward. There were several missteps-wrong drink, timing, and spacing of drinks, hors d'oeurves, main course, etc. Just not on target. The food is still great, but the service was lacking this time around. :-( P.S. Wish we could have had a white tablecloth like other tables had. Might have helped with the sound.Special Features:
- panteraDined on 6/24/2014Have been to Revival before and was disappointed this time - the french fries were undercooked - tasted frozen
- Superb experiencePattySDined on 6/22/2014The food is comprised of fresh, locally sourced ingredients that are prepared and presented in such a way that demands slow consumption and discussion. The service is efficient and aware without being intrusive. The servers treated our ten-year-old diner with respect and without patronizing him. Every dish is perfect. The portions are generous without being overwhelming. The vegetables, fruits and proteins are given star status. There is a grapefruit sabayon that accompanies the pan-roasted trout that should be served all by itself as a side dish or a drink because it's so delicious. Don't overlook the confited and roasted duck. Please bring a designated driver because the cocktails, especially "The Grand Chawbee", say "Drink Me."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An expensive disappointment.EasytopleaseVIPDined on 6/21/2014The ambiance and the service were ok, but the food left to be desired. The entrée was dry and greasy; it looked and tasted as if it had been plated hours before and just reheated for serving. Will not go back.
- Good pre-theater spotMaryVIPDined on 6/17/2014I enjoyed my first visit to Revival. It is very convenient to several theaters. The food was tasty and a relatively good value.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014We ate here for the first time in April and enjoyed the experience so much that we returned. Once again when told that we had a theater performance to attend, the staff ensured that we were able to enjoy our meal as well as make the performance on time. The heirloom tomato salad was delicious. The lardo accent brought out the sweetness of the tomatoes. The small charcuterie plate was enough for two people. The diverse seasonings and textures blended perfectly. We would return again.Special Features:
- Great findSallyDined on 6/14/2014The food was exciting and novel and delicious. Wait staff - Dion - was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good serviceJon1949Dined on 6/13/2014We had the charcuterie plate, which was excellent. Each item was tasty. The middle size was plenty for two people. Fritto mixto was also wonderful. The house salads were large and fresh. The Spanish wine went well with all of it. Our waiter and the team were very attentive. All in all, very, very nice.Special Features:
- Fall in love with BerkeleyLive4foodDined on 6/10/2014This spot made me fall in love with Berkeley...again. Food was outstanding and the atmosphere just as vibrant. Very "Berkeley" crowd, great scene for dinner and/or bar. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot before the theaterSuzieQVIPDined on 6/7/2014Went to revival before attending a berkeley rep show. Food came out quickly by our wonderful server, and the fiord was fantastic. The Gnudi with spring peas was delicious as was our panna cotta dessert! Cocktails very fun but pretty pricey for the size. The waitress was wonderful as were all the service staff.Special Features:
- good eating at RevivaleclecticDined on 6/7/2014Revival has a very eclectic menu which makes it fun to visit - to see what's there this time. I had the duck mousse pate and the duck breast and they were both wonderful. My partner enjoyed the kale salad and the trout. No complaints anywhere. Our wait person acknowledged our need to get to an early show and got us in and out with no problems.Special Features:
- We'll be back...sfrefugeeDined on 6/5/2014Interesting room. Friendly wait staff. The food was the star and the star of the food was the lamb chop in the mixed grill. Never had one with such deep lamb flavor.Special Features:
- Food Was GreatPhenomenalVIPDined on 6/1/2014I read the mixed reviews. We did experience slow-ish service, but the food was great. We started with the Duck Pate (smooth and creamy) and a mushroom flatbread (thin and crispy - very flavorful). My husband and I both had the duck with the black risotto which was fantastic. The duck legs were tender and the breast was perfectly cooked (Medium). It was super busy (Sunday night) but the atmosphere was energetic and our service was fine. it' definitely falls into the "medium" price category for the Bay Area, but I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a datefuegofroDined on 5/31/2014My girlfriend and I have gone here many times for special occasions like our anniversary or her birthday. It's a classy place, friendly wait staff, not too expensive, delicious, and with good size portions. I usually eat a lot, but I've never gone away from here hungry; even the flatbread appetizers make a pretty decent meal. Highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for organic eatingAlexandraDined on 5/31/2014I have been several times to Revival and always enjoy my experience. I really like that they offer local, sustainable and organic foods, but I would encourage them to add more vegetables to their entrees. For the price, we should not have to bulk them up with side vegetables.Special Features:
- Solid California cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014This is one of our standard pre-Berkeley Rep dinner places. We had an early show, so had an early (5:30) dinner time. We asked for a window table, but were told they were all booked, so if you want a window, pre-book. We had a great waitress, with great service, they are attuned to the theatre crowd. Friend had ricotta dumplings which were yummy and I had duck with "spring vegetables." Also good. Appetizer of trout rilette (like a paste) arrived with literally 5 blue potato chips, so if you want to dip, get bread or something.Special Features:
- The Perfect Spot!RADfoodieVIPDined on 5/29/2014Outstanding food and great ambience. Chef Amy's gem is the perfect combination of creative and tasty cuisine in a casual but elegant environment - all at reasonable prices. We will be returning again and again. I highly recommend the Grand Chawee on the innovative cocktail menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always hope it will be betterAliceBTVIPDined on 5/29/2014This always seems like it should be good, with all its foodie buzzwords, but the overpriced dishes disappoint -- for instance, under seasoned trout over a decent vegetable hash but spoiled by an oddly sweet cream pretending to be hip; way over-vinagered house made pickles. Because it's so close to the Rep, we keep trying. Maybe not anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/25/2014What a great find in Berkeley! The housemade charcuterie and pickles were incredible and the large plate would have been pleny for a group. The seasonal menu was creative and fun. Desserts were wonderful. This will be a favorite when we go to the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely but noisyHucksterDined on 5/25/2014Revival is a wonderful restaurant-- delightful food and ambience, friendly and helpful service. I'd definitely go back with a party of 4 or less. We were a group of six and had just been to a very stimulating play. We could not hear each other enough to discuss much of anything.Special Features:
- bike2eatDined on 5/24/2014High-end, seasonal cocktail were fresh and provocative....as were the salads and entrees. Pairing a salad with an "starter" also made a great meal. The salmon over potato-asparagus hash was excellent. Waiter was knowledgeable and helpful in answering questions. Was very glad to have a reserved table waiting for us on this visit. Dining at 6:00 p.m. was perfect for a leisurely paced meal before 8:00 p.m. theater. The hustle-bustle of kitchen and bar added intrigue and atmosphere, but was a bit noisy for my aging ears.Special Features:
- Hit and Missmaster88erDined on 5/24/2014The quality of the food is very good, what there is of it. I started with Stuffed Squash blossoms that were fabulous, but my main course, the Salmon, was mediocre at best, and minuscule for the price. It was one half of a small filet, served on top of burnt little pieces of potato and kale hash. VERY disappointing. Carrying on that burnt theme was the flouless chocolate cake dessert, which was dry and had very burnt coffee flavor. Next time, I think ill just do appetizer and drink before Theater if I go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Fabulous meal and I love the decor and the winelist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.