63 Ellis Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.johnsgrill.com/
- Phone: 4159860069x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am -3:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Lunch 12:00pm - 3:30pm Dinner:3:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Mauricio Sibrian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Entertainment: There is live jazz nightly in the upper level dining room.
A word from John's Grill
John's Grill has been a San Francisco tradition since 1908. This historic restaurant is one of the city's oldest and most famous and is a favorite of celebrities who enjoy great steaks, expertly prepared fresh seafood with excellent service and a one of a kind atmosphere. John's Grill was a setting in author Dashiell Hammetts, The Maltese Falcon. The restaurant has earned many tributes: it has been chosen as one of the 10 best by Esquire and featured in Gourmet Magazine. Live jazz nightly in the upper level dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
John's Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (98)special occasion (88)fit for foodies (54)great for lunch (40)good for groups (38)romantic (33)hot spot (25)late-night find (18)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2008The food was excellent and the service was great! I highly recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- This is a great San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2008This is a great San Francisco restaurant that captures old San Francisco. Love the fact you can carry on a conversation without screaming. Food is good, reasonably priced.Special Features:
- I took friends from GermanyArchbackVIPDined on 8/2/2008I took friends from Germany here and the food was good, but not great. This is a very dependable, moderately-priced neighborhood place. It's been around for many years. Great atmosphere. I would return but not if I wanted a "wow" night out. This is more of an "old standby" kinda place.Special Features:
- Service was excellent; ourOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/4/2008Service was excellent; our waitress was top-notch; food was very good. But... there was a horrible smell as one walked through the restaurant, up the stairs and continuing onto the 2nd floor where we were seated. It was possibly mold or mildew, dampness under the carpet?; a rotting smell. Wow, it was overwhelming. The carpets were filthy throughout; looks like they'd never been vacuumed nor cleaned. I suspect that was the smell. So sad, because it really brought about an uneasy feeling and questionable cleanliness of the the restaurant and mgmt's attitude overall. Jazz guitarist Friday evening was very enjoyable. Unfortunately, because of the smell issue, we will not return.
- The food was expensive; theOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/30/2008The food was expensive; the steaks all tasted burned. A baby cried the entire time we were there. We were disappointed.
- Amazing in every way~ 'scenicOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2008Amazing in every way~ 'scenic view' is selected above because of historic nature, location, and 'the scene' inside of the restaurant. Loved it, have loved it over the years. Bartender, however, notably horrible! NOT a good first impression for first-timers who might be having a drink while awaiting dining room seating... he claimed he couldn't transfer our bar tab to our table tab ?!?!? Also poor attitude... just thought you should know.. he was abrupt, and doesn't do the place, and rest of the staff justice...(not a good John's ambassador).. Thankfully, hostess, and wait staff were absolutely exceptional. Also was happily surprised folks paid attention to advance notice of one of our party's b-day,lovely dessert presented A++++++Special Features:
- We had a great experience,ExplorerVIPDined on 6/21/2008We had a great experience, the service was very good and the portions were filling. A great down town restaurant close to everything.
- The dining tables are so closeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2008The dining tables are so close together and small that it is difficult to have a conversation without those seated adjacent to your table becoming involved in the conversation. More space between the tables would make for a much improved dining experience. The tight quarters takes what would otherwise be a fantastic meal to the level of adequate. Appreciate your openness to this feedback.Special Features:
- The food was delicious, theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2008The food was delicious, the service was great and we even got a free after dinner coffee cocktail for making on line reservations!Special Features:
- service was a bit slow atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2008service was a bit slow at times. 2 of our steaks came out medium-well when we asked for them well-done. They had a decent wine selection but small steak selection and their veggies could have been better. For steaks nothing beats Bobs Steak and Chophouse! They were able to easily accomodate a party of 9 with a 1 day notice, which was a huge plus for me.Special Features:
- It's always a treat to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2008It's always a treat to dine with the ghost of Sam Spade and the Maltese Falcon. And of course the food is great and not terrible expensive.Special Features:
- Even though I made my reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2008Even though I made my reservations well in advance of June 6, I had to wait for my table until I found out one party could not come to dinner. Also, too much salt in the Oysters Wellington. Waiter was friendly and gave excellent service.Special Features:
- Terrific steaks and wonderfulsfjcVIPDined on 6/4/2008Terrific steaks and wonderful service. A classic - every San Franciscan should eat here at least once!Special Features:
- I have eaten here before andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/2/2008I have eaten here before and would come back again. Its 100 year old San Francisco Gem.Special Features:
- Had the Petrale sole--it cameOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/1/2008Had the Petrale sole--it came covered in a mushroom gravy that completely overwhelmed the delicate fish.
- I recently began coming toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2008I recently began coming to John's at lunch and having the Jack Lelane's Perfect Salad, the best salad in the world. I had been wanting to come back to try the steaks. So last Saturday, we started with escargot which was very good. We had the ribeye steaks. The meat was top-quality but under-seasoned. The baked potatoe and mixed veggies were sufficient but not very exciting. The price for USDA Prime steak was very good compared to the major steakhouses in the city. They gave us a very nice Khalua and Cream for reserving through Opentable, which was a nice surprise. Finally, I loved the cheescake.Special Features:
- Other than a small table itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2008Other than a small table it was great. Service was excellent and so was the food.Special Features:
- My daughter and her 12 friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2008My daughter and her 12 friends dined here before their prom. They were treated with the utmost respect, and thoroughly enjoyed their experience here. It definitely added to their memorable night. thanks!Special Features:
- The seafood dishes were aOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2008The seafood dishes were a big hit. We had a party of 14 and could not have asked for better service.Special Features:
- Loved the food and the atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2008Loved the food and the atmosphere. Great experience and location.Special Features:
- John's Grill is filled withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2008John's Grill is filled with great history and the food, while not exceptional, was good. It's quite basic, nothing really original, but you won't walk out feeling disappointed either. The service was excellent, the wine list decent.Special Features:
- The location is very convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/17/2008The location is very convenient for all the downtown theatre and shows...however, it was way too noisy, the service was mediocre at best (mainly because it was so crowded), lots of tourists (which slows down service since they love to talk). The food is good, the prices are reasonable and the portions are satisfying. Need a better desert list. Overall I would probably go again, mainly for convenience sake, but would ask for a quieter spot in the restaurant (if one exists!).Special Features:
- On my reservations I requestedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/17/2008On my reservations I requested separate checks for my table as to not inconvenience the staff at the last minute; well, my waiter was annoyed and when we told him that we had made the request in advance, including a confirmation phone call, he just walked away; and that was the highlight of our experience because the food was just atrocious. I had the "Gourmet" recommended sole fish dish, stuffed with crab and shrimp; it was old, bland, stale and tasteless; the carrots and veges were sour(spoiled, fermenting); the Jack Lalang salad was swimming in the dressing; I realized it was a tourist spot so I didn't make a fuss, but I'll never return; I only went because it was book club week and we were discussing Dashiel Hammett's Maltese Falcon.
- good food, but restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/9/2008good food, but restaurant has strong musty odor and needs updatingSpecial Features:
- WE were going to the theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2008WE were going to the theater this was perfect locaton. The staff is very friendly and professional. The history makes it very special.Special Features:
- Reliably excellent food andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2008Reliably excellent food and service. Good wine list to boot. Love it that the management still pays homage to the history of the place. So glad that - in the middle of a world of constant change, John's Grill is the same. We ALWAYS come here when we visit San Francisco and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- The clam chowder was the bestplayer23Dined on 5/3/2008The clam chowder was the best I've had in San Francisco. The Kalula and milk after dinner drink was a nice surprise. I was happy to hear they hired a local artist to replicate their lost Maltese Falcon.Special Features:
- Quality of steaks were notOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2008Quality of steaks were not good. Restaurant has an old musty odor which does not fair well with food. Would not reccomend it.
- Chicken Jerusalem was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/20/2008Chicken Jerusalem was amazing. Also lemon drop from the bar was the best we've had. Steak was only slightly above average; could have been a little more tender. Overall fun place, will definitely return.Special Features:
- Very, very enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2008Very, very enjoyable experience ... we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- We arrived about 7pm and wereditseyDined on 4/18/2008We arrived about 7pm and were seated upstairs where a jazz guitarist was playing. It was very relaxing, and thouroughly pleasant. We ordered and were served one of the best salads I've ever eaten. The rest of the dinner was excellent as was our service. However by 7:30 the restuarant was so full and noisy you couldn't hear yourself think let alone what your dining companion was saying. We were served two after dinner drinks compliments of Open Table. A very classy touch, and much appreciated. John's is a very special place. I just wish it weren't so noisySpecial Features:
- Place is nostalgic. The saladSusanLDined on 4/18/2008Place is nostalgic. The salad especially good. The entrees a bit swimming in buttery sauce. Shrimps a bit overcooked. Otherwise, pleasant place.
- left credit card on tablebernieDined on 4/17/2008left credit card on table upon leaving, restaurant called, to my relief, to let me know that they had found it. Many thanks for quick response. Thanks SteveSpecial Features:
- I only had a salad and clamCarolaVIPDined on 4/14/2008I only had a salad and clam chowder. The chowder was excellent but the serving was Tom Thumbish. We ate upstairs and it has a lot of ambiance. Love using the open table--always my first choice for a restaurant.Special Features:
- Tried and true. We had a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2008Tried and true. We had a very nice dinner and especially enjoyed the muscles.
- I had a table for 8 that becameMichaelVIPDined on 4/11/2008I had a table for 8 that became 12 at the last minute. They were very accomodating and over all the experience was very good.Special Features:
- This was my first visit torfsullyVIPDined on 4/9/2008This was my first visit to John's Grill. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- John's Grill could stand toambivalentVIPDined on 4/4/2008John's Grill could stand to buy some new chairs. I thought my chair was going to fall apart at any moment.
- What a wonderful dining experienceSongbird61Dined on 3/27/2008What a wonderful dining experience for our entire family -- especially with us being Dashiell Hammett fans! Our host, John, made certain we were seated in "The Maltese Falcon" room, and then allowed us to go up to the third floor where the Dashiell Hammett society meets. And the food and service were absolutely perfect -- a real old-San Francisco experience with fantastic food fare and attentive service. Thank you for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- I entered a special messageOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/21/2008I entered a special message on OpenTable.com to the Maitre'd - to sit upstairs where we could listen to the live music. It worked perfectly. He brought us up to a nice table upstairs where we listened to very nice dinner music. It was nice to see that someone reads those special notes.Special Features: