1602 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://florianarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2026675937
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Scott Perry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for information.
- Private Party Contact: Rachel Tapper 2026675937
A word from Floriana
Floriana offers authentic Italian recipes with handmade pastas in the most comfortable of environments. Located in DC's Dupont Circle neighborhood, in a historic brick stone row house that has been converted into a cozy restaurant, but hasn't given up the feel of coming over to someones home for dinner. Offering a seasonal menu of fresh and local ingredients Floriana has developed a reputation for consistent, high quality, authentic, feel good dishes at a great value. Our pledge of superior service is matched only by our ability to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable when joining us for a DC dining experience.We pay special attention to every guest that chooses Floriana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Floriana reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (176)great for outdoor dining (127)fit for foodies (125)romantic (121)special occasion (105)notable wine list (65)great for brunch (26)good for groups (16)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- Our all time favorite neighborhoodDCdinerVIPDined on 11/27/2010Our all time favorite neighborhood restaurant. Great to take friends there as well.Special Features:
- Amazing pastas (particularlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/26/2010Amazing pastas (particularly the chef's specials and the butternut squash ravioli)and lobster risotto. Everyone in my group of 7 really enjoyed their meals, and the service was excellent!Special Features:
- What a gem. Had a fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/20/2010What a gem. Had a fabulous dinner before a show at the nearby Church Street Playhouse (also close to Theatre J). Let Maitre D know we were pressed for time & every effort was made to see that we made our curtain without feeling rushed. Had the BEST MUSSELS I've ever eaten -- with pork bellies & wild mushrooms as recommended by our waiter. Indescribably delicious as was the Special fish stew with a coconut milk based broth. An amazing pesto for the bread. Best service we've had in ages from our wonderful waiter and terrific busboy. They were genuinely caring and so helpful. Loved our table location at the window of the townhouse. We look forward to returning soon for a destination dinner rather than a quick Pre theater meal & more mussels!Special Features:
- Floriana is a favorite neighborhoodtennsaceDined on 11/20/2010Floriana is a favorite neighborhood restaurant. Nestled in a charming row house, the ambiance is warm and friendly. Service is excellent. Recent changes to the menu are a plus. We had a terrific beet and pear salad, and the leek soup (made from stock without cream) was delicious; the salmon was hot on the inside and perfectly prepared; the lasagna is always excellent. The price is right. Do yourself a favor and visit this local favorite.Special Features:
- the place gets better andlinkVIPDined on 11/19/2010the place gets better and better...apparently they now have a new chefSpecial Features:
- One of my favorite placesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2010One of my favorite places for homemade Italian in the city. All homemade pasta, great happy hour at the basement bar, and very romantic...you cam actually hear each other talk even when it's crowded.Special Features:
- Everything was exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/19/2010Everything was exceptional. The food was some of the best I've had in the city, the service was outstanding, the restaurant was adorable, and the experience overall was terrific. No complaints whatsoever.Special Features:
- This place is normally a neighborhoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/19/2010This place is normally a neighborhood favorite, but this time the wait for food was ridiculously long.
- Floriana is one of our favorites--IDCdinerVIPDined on 11/19/2010Floriana is one of our favorites--I was glad to see it on OpenTable. The new chef has taken the restaurant up several notches, but the service and ambiance is still very welcoming. We're so glad it's in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- The food was quite good andBayAreaNativeVIPDined on 11/15/2010The food was quite good and we stumbled upon half-price pasta night so it was a tremendous value. Wine list had more variety than I would have expected and was reasonably priced. Fairly loud with a young energetic crowd, though not a lot of elbow room with pretty small tables. Terrific seafood pasta and delicious butternut squash ravioli. Would return.Special Features:
- I have lived in the DC areaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/11/2010I have lived in the DC area 10 years and I can't believe that I haven't found Floriana sooner. The staff was very warm and empty plates were whisked away without you realizing it. The food was phenominal. As good as any that I have had the multiple times that I have been to Rome. A must try is the Tuscan Toast. My wife and I had the Zucca which was mouth watering with the flavors. Our son had the Tortolloni Mignon. He is ten years old and couldn't stop talking about it for hours. The only flop was the Napoleon Complex which is like a Caprese salad. The tomatoes and mozzerella were not that flavorful. This is a definate must try.Special Features:
- What a phenomenal change.HealthyFoodLOverVIPDined on 11/10/2010What a phenomenal change. I always enjoy this restaurant, but the addition of the new chef has made it spectacular. The new menu is inviting and imaginative; my orange-glazed chicken stuffed with polenta was luscious and presented beautifully. My friends were delighted with the risotto, the mussels, and the calamari. Bravo, Floriana. I'll be back and recommend you to others.Special Features:
- never went to floriana before,rmr17Dined on 11/6/2010never went to floriana before, despite living blocks away for years. had a discount coupon and thought i would try it. it was surprisingly good food--fresh salads, good pastas (particularly the butternut squash ravioli). one thing though--although it was a saturday night and we would expect it to be noisy, there was a table of squealing early twenty-somethings at another table that made it hard to hold a conversation. this restaurant is not for those who are hard of hearing...Special Features:
- They first sat us at a tableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2010They first sat us at a table that was right in the path of the kitchen so the wait staff kept asking one of my party members to "move in." Kindly, the manager moved us once another group left. I ordered grilled sea bass which they neglected to tell me would be the whole fish with bones in. It was nearly impossible to get a bite without bones and made the meal a lot of work. Two friends ordered the short ribs. One's was excellent other's was full of fat and she could only eat a small portion of it. We decided to split the Ricotta cheese cake for dessert and it was so stale that after one bite, we all put our forks down. The manager couldn't have been nicer and removed the bad ribs and cheesecake from the bill. I'd give it one more chance.
- Despite living in DC for 9OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/5/2010Despite living in DC for 9 years, I had never heard of this place. Hoping to "get out of our box" and try somewhere new, my husband and I headed there on Friday night. The restaurant is located in a 2-story townhouse with seating on both floors. The atmosphere is very cozy (think small rooms, dark lighting), but not overly stuffy. There were couples and groups of 3-6 people, so it was a good mixed crowd. Appropriate for 'date night" or dinner with a small group. We were seated at what I consider a "prime" table (in the window) on the 2nd floor. Our waiter was friendly and helpful. My husband ordered the pork chop and I ordered the butternut squash ravioli. Both were delicious. The meat had a great seasoning on it and was very tender.Special Features:
- Consistently good food. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/4/2010Consistently good food. The service was spot on and the server made great wine selections. He was present but not overbearing. The menu has recently changed but the food is just as good as I recall. Great lasagna. Great mussels. Great tortelloni.
- Great family meal for 7. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2010Great family meal for 7. Service and food were excellent.
- We were very pleased withHiexpextationsVIPDined on 10/30/2010We were very pleased with the food, everything was great and some dishes out of the ordinary. One problem was that it seemed on order didn't get in with the others and so was late. Also, the waiter didnt tell us what they were out of until we were ready to place our order . This caused some last minute scrambling.Special Features:
- We were there on a packedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2010We were there on a packed Saturday night and had a drink downstairs at the bar while waiting for our table. The bartender was super nice and very attentive, even though the bar was full of people. The dining room is very cramped, with tables very close together, but the room was quaint and romantic. Our waiter, Matt, was AMAZING! He was attentive, enthusiastic, charming, efficient--the perfect waiter. His service made the experience even more memorable. The food was absolutely delicious! Some of the best food we've ever had. I ordered the lobster & wild mushroom risotto and it was melt in your mouth perfection--the flavors were perfect. Hubby had the oxtail special and it was rich, hearty and unbelievable good. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- This was my third experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2010This was my third experience eating at Floriana and, as always, the food was fantastic. I was hosting my parents from out of town and they too were equally impressed by the quality of the food and the warm, hospitable atmosphere. Also, the host graciously changed our reservation at the last minute to accommodate our party. My only (minor) complaints were that they ran out of profiteroles - my favorite dessert - as well as the fact that it took the waiter 10 minutes and 2 reminders to realize that we had only three water glasses for four people. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to another wonderful experience at Floriana.Special Features:
- The food is decent. But, weHelloVIPDined on 10/30/2010The food is decent. But, we had a reservation for 6:30 arrived at 6:30 and were only sat at 7pm. No real apology, only "it will only take us 5 minutes" every 5 minutes. Many other people were sat while we waited. The impression I got is that maybe if you are not friends with the host you are not as valuable to the restaurant.
- 1. THE BREAD! OMG, I DIE,GraceBobVIPDined on 10/26/20101. THE BREAD! OMG, I DIE, FLoriana has good, NO, GREAT bread! Real, delicious, crusty Italian bread! Thank You, Thank You! 2. I had my doubts when I couldn't find my beloved meatballs on fall menu, I held onto those doubts until I ordered the Short Ribs and our waiter (Jeff) smiled with delight and said "oh you're going to love them." I sat there, wondering if waiters are trained to say just that, no matter what is ordered. At Floriana, we may never know, because when the beer-braised mushroom & blue cheese sauce covered short ribs were placed in front of me my entire table, (and a cute guy names Jim at the table next to us) could not believe the aroma. I would not share, I will never share them, I would marry them! DeliciousSpecial Features:
- With all of the new and trendyFoodieVIPDined on 10/26/2010With all of the new and trendy restaurants in DC these days, it would be easy to forget that Floriana's delivers an unbelievably delicious dining experience, great ambiance, friendly informed service all for a great value. We eat out several times a week in the Logan/U St/Penn Quarter/Dupont area and I would put Floriana's up there at the top for an all around dining experience. LOVE FLORIANAS!!!Special Features:
- The food was good, I justOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2010The food was good, I just didn't like how the waitress tried to rush us through the dinner, I felt pressured to leave and being bother constantly by the waitress asking for additional requests.Special Features:
- You will definitely enjoyDwarriorVIPDined on 10/16/2010You will definitely enjoy this 17th Street gem!!!!!Special Features:
- The butternut squash is aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2010The butternut squash is a must-try with a bit of freshly-grated parmesan on top, as is the spinach appetizer.
- The food here was just shortOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/10/2010The food here was just short of great. What made our outing excellent was the setting in Dupont and our excellent server. We dined outside on their patio. The noise level was good and the staff was friendly and attentive. My girlfriend and I did enjoy our experience. We could see ourselves dining there again.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our dinner here.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2010We enjoyed our dinner here. My mussels with porkbelly was especially interesting and could be a meal in itself. The beet salad was described to have goat cheese but was not served with it. When asked we were told the new chef made a change that was not relected on the menu. Our entres varied; my wife loved the ravioli stuffed with butternut squash, my daughters liked her gnocchi but the pesto eventually overtook it, my chicken parm was satisfying but a little dry. The setting is excellent for a nice night out and I do plan on going back.Special Features:
- salad on menu did not comeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/9/2010salad on menu did not come as described,but was good. sat next to service area so a little too much traffic but not as bad as other restaurants otherwise probably outstanding overallSpecial Features:
- We made a reservation forFamilyFunDined on 10/5/2010We made a reservation for 8:30 and when realizing we would be late, called ahead to tell them to hold the table. We arrived only five minutes late but the waiter ended up giving 2 of our 6 person table to another couple. We ended up not being seated until close to 10 pm and waited out in the cold the whole time. It was my roommate's birthday, which we announced to them several times and the waiters did nothing in acknowledgement. The half-priced pastas was a good deal, but overall the food was not really worth the wait and effort.Special Features:
- Good food and I was happyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2010Good food and I was happy and surprised by their half-price pasta deals on Mondays & Tuesdays. My date was impressed with the food and experience overall. I'll go back for sure!Special Features:
- Our food was really good andSaraVIPDined on 9/24/2010Our food was really good and our server was great. Only problem was that the tables are so close together we felt like we were eating with two other couples.Special Features:
- We absolutely loved our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2010We absolutely loved our experience at Floriana. The food was great -- I had the Chicken Parmigiana and it was the best I've ever had; my girlfriend had the Butternut Squash Ravioli and it was equally delicious. Our server was the perfect mix of attentive, talkative and informative about the menu and his favorite menu items.Special Features:
- The service was amazing, theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2010The service was amazing, the food was fantastic and the atmosphere is awesome! Right down the street from my house, I'm so glad I found this place!Special Features:
- Outdoor dining in DuPont CircleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/22/2010Outdoor dining in DuPont Circle was fun. Although there were a few mosquitos, staff was prepared and shared "Off" repellant with guests. Service was great and very friendly. The food was good, fresh and straightforward. (Salad presentation was little sloppy.)Special Features:
- I really enjoyed the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2010I really enjoyed the restaurant. Nice neighborhood, great ambiance, etc. The apps were superb, as was my wife's entree (Seafood Risotto w/ white truffle oil). I had the Duo of Duck which was just so/so, a bit bland actually. The only issue my wife had was that she thought the shrimp might have been overcooked. Not a perfect meal but very close. We'll be going back to sample more of what they have to offer.Special Features:
- Tip Rip-offOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2010The food and service were good, but when I reviewed my credit card statement I found a horrible error. I had left a $20 tip on a $90 meal, which I thought was decent, but due to an extra glass of wine, when I added, I wrote down $130 instead of $110. Instead of properly adding the meal and tip, they went ahead and bumped the tip to $40 to match my drunken math. This is unethical and disgusting. I have make many tipsy adding mistakes and the restaurant always just adds the tip to the other costs and does the math honestly. I have not contacted the management yet, but expect to get a full refund if they are more honest than the person adding numbers on their computer.Special Features:
- We had a reservation for 9OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/17/2010We had a reservation for 9 p.m., we arrived a few minutes early, and indicated we wanted to be seated inside. We were told the table wasn't quite ready, so we went downstairs into the bar to wait. About 15 minutes later, I checked on our table, still not ready. 20 minutes later, still not ready. After 10 p.m., we were told our table was ready and were seated outside. We asked to be inside and were told it would be just a few minutes. Five minutes later, the host came out and said the table he thought was finishing up was in fact just getting their entrees. Two of my friends were cold, so I went home and got sweaters for them. Food was good, waiter excellent, but being seated over an hour late was inexcusable.
- A wonderful setting for datesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/15/2010A wonderful setting for dates - only flaw is that tables are rather close to one another, but otherwise the townhouse ambiance is warm. Food was very good, and I thought the waitstaff knew when we needed them, and knew when to leave us to the food.Special Features:
- I visited Floriana on my oneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2010I visited Floriana on my one year anniversary and I enjoyed the time. My server Chad was excellent and is highly recommended. I will be going back. The food was great and the candle light made for a very romantic evening. The only way this restaurant could be better would be valet parking :)Special Features: