1602 17th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://florianarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2026675937
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Scott Perry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for information.
- Private Party Contact: Rachel Tapper 2026675937
A word from Floriana
Floriana offers authentic Italian recipes with handmade pastas in the most comfortable of environments. Located in DC's Dupont Circle neighborhood, in a historic brick stone row house that has been converted into a cozy restaurant, but hasn't given up the feel of coming over to someones home for dinner. Offering a seasonal menu of fresh and local ingredients Floriana has developed a reputation for consistent, high quality, authentic, feel good dishes at a great value. Our pledge of superior service is matched only by our ability to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable when joining us for a DC dining experience.We pay special attention to every guest that chooses Floriana.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Floriana - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
Floriana reviews from OpenTable diners
269 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (191)great for outdoor dining (144)romantic (138)fit for foodies (137)special occasion (119)notable wine list (81)great for brunch (41)good for groups (26)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (19)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (14)Show More
- Horrendous ServiceHungryEaterVIPDined on 8/11/2014The food was delicious, but the service was awful. My friend arrived 25 minutes early and was seated. He wasn't offered any water, wine or bread. I arrived at the time of my reservation. I was seated and my friend and I sat at the table for ten minutes before our server came and asked if we wanted something to drink. I watched as the people at the table to my left and my right were served water, had their bread replenished and food served before anyone uttered a word to us. The night only got worse. The waiter was very inattentive and had no clue at how horrible his service was. The executive chef did come to our table to give us his card (so he could email us a recipe). Before we left, my friend told him how horrible the service was.Special Features:
- Why Restaurant Week is a Good IdeaOmnivoriousDined on 8/11/2014Florina is one of those places I've driven by a million times but never got around to eating at, so took a chance on restaurant week. I'd say the food was good, but not outstanding. A solid performance. The service was quite good, especially since they were packed for restaurant week. I'd certainly go again, and if you're in the neighborhood it's worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week VisitWldTrvlBillDined on 8/11/2014Unlike many other DC spots, Floriana has no special pre-fixe menu during Restaurant Week. What a bonus. We got to chose a starter, entree and desert, all from the regular menu. (N.B. The Filet Mignon is extra!) If you like great Italian food, this is the place. The service was great and included visits from the Executive Chef. Wine choices are good and prices are right. While this is a neighborhood place, we traveled from Alexandria, to again sample the great food. We were not disappointed and shall return.Special Features:
- Delightful Dinner at FlorianaNaptownDinerDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here last Friday evening. Although the outdoor seating looked tempting, we chose to eat indoors and had a nice table overlooking 17th Street. My husband ordered the tortolloni mignon and I had the duck breast. Both dishes were very good. Our server, Marco, was warm and attentive and he made great wine suggestions to go with our meals. The crowning touch of the evening was a delicious tiramisu to share and a lovely handwritten card on restaurant stationary, wishing us a happy anniversary. On the way out, the proprietor, Dino, thanked us for coming. We look forward to dining at Floriana again.Special Features:
- Very good food!acallDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I thought the food was great! The bread and pesto spread were yummy! The waiter was nice but seemed a little flustered. Tables were too small! But overall the food is what really counts and it was delicious!Special Features:
- Great Italian food!pmjedwardsVIPDined on 8/6/2014Went on a Wednesday, bottles of wine are half-priced, as is the case sunday. The food is well executed and nice, not over sized, portions. Service was ok, but all that meant was we had longer to enjoy the wine. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchJamieVIPDined on 8/3/2014I went to Floriana this past Sunday to celebrate a friend's Birthday. We dined outside and had a fabulous brunch, as always. The ingredients in each of the dishes we ordered were fresh, and everything tasted delicious. The price points are fantastic, which is why I am a regular. Additionally, our waiter knew it was my friends birthday and treated him to a tiramisu on the house, AND a birthday card at the end of our meal. I've never seen a restaurant give a card with a dessert. My friend was so touched- it really made the whole experience special. Thanks to Floriana for always giving us great service, excellent food and wonderful memories. We will be back, soon and often!Special Features:
- Loving night, eating outsideghs33ugaVIPDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I had a lovely evening in the outside seating area. It started with us grabbing a glass of wine at the bar downstairs, and then carrying it to our table when the seating was ready. The appetizer of the Arancini balls was plentiful and flavorful. 5 balls was a very substantial and welcome portion. For the meal, I enjoyed the Tortolloni Mignon. The ground tenderloin melted in your mouth, and the tomato cream sauce was the perfect accompaniment. My wife spoke very fondly of the Goat Cheese Agnolotti. The butter sauce for the dish was particularly wonderful according to her. All in all we had a wonderful evening, with tremendous service, at this neighborhood Italian spot. I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Great place to go. Nice quiet evening outside on the patio made this an excellent birthday dinner. Would go next time in the city to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found it.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Went on Open Table and found this great restaurant when looking for dinner while visiting family in DC. Price seemed typical, loved the setting, waiter was terrific and food was delicious. What more do you need? Highly recommend you give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date Night EatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Great little quaint, romantic, delicious rowhouse turned Italian restaurant in DuPont that is well worth a visit.Special Features:
- Great serviceJhb20Dined on 7/29/2014The server was available when we needed him, was happy to make recommendations when we needed to choose between dishesSpecial Features:
- Overall, Would RecommendChristineDined on 7/27/2014Made a reservation in a hurry for here at 9:30 p.m. on a Sunday, because our original place was closing earlier than expected. We weren't disappointed - the food was great! Service, on the other hand, was not the best. Our server seemed like he didn't care to be there, and was very impersonal and not very friendly. Nonetheless, the food made up for it. Would recommend if you're looking for good eats in Dupont Circle.Special Features:
- Ho humWineguyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Service is extremely slow and frazzled. The food is very pedestrian and ho hum. Ceiling fan placement under the room light produces an annoying flickering effect with the lighting not to mention the table candle is extinguished. Been there done this place- wont go back.
- keeps getting betterGraceBobVIPDined on 7/25/2014From Dito downstairs, to the Italian Ribs upstairs, plus a huge wine and lots of great drink options this restaurant is getting everything right. Nice and cozy, the old row house can get busy, and can sometimes seems stuffy. Service is always great even if the room is a little too warm; so dress casually and have a great time. Looking forward to another visit.Special Features:
- LovesLifeDined on 7/25/2014We had a nice dinner. Good food. Had drinks, appetizers and dinner. Our table was not ready when we arrived, so we headed to the bar for a drink, which was fine. The experience was a bit tarnished when immediately after being handed our receipt to sign, the host told us he needed our table but would buy us a drink downstairs for the inconvenience. I was a little put off by this, as we hadn't dawdled in our meal and were delayed getting to our table to begin with, and didn't really appreciate being hurried. When we went to the bar, it was evident that the drinks that he was 'buying' for us were not of the same quality that we had been served before when we were paying (lower quality and lesser amount) which was a disappointing end.Special Features:
- Overall, a great restaurantculinarianDined on 7/20/2014You can tell a lot goes into the food. Outstanding presentation and the Chef even came out to talk to my brother who has a severe milk and dairy allergy. He was personable, same with our server, Ian. Everyone was welcoming. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!CarolDined on 7/20/2014Food here was outstanding. It wasn't busy when I went, which is why I was surprised that the service was a little slow. But great restaurant.Special Features:
- Keeps improvingRonGVIPDined on 7/19/2014A new chef has started since we were last here a few months ago. He has taken the pastas to a new level. The corn soup and the shrimp special were outstanding, but the star of the meal was the ice cream sandwich dessert. The BEST oatmeal raisin cookies that I have ever eaten. Our server, Fred, was excellent--helpful, friendly, efficient, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jwjhetwillsVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food was very good!. Excellent outdoor scene. Wines a little pricey, but decent.Special Features:
- Superb Italian FoodLizElizabethDined on 7/18/2014The fresh bread and herb oil that is served makes a great dipping snack for the Rock Shrimp and Black Gnocci in tomato sauce! We also ordered the Brussell Sprouts with Pancetta which were really, really delicious. The homemade pastas were rich and satisfying but not too large of a portion so we didn't leave stuffed. I was most impressed with the wine that we ordered - the Rhiannon meritage. It was lovely with all of our courses. We plan on becoming regulars at this place!!Special Features:
- Food Quality DecliningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Floriana's food has declined over the past few dining experiences I've had there. Some of my favorite items don't taste as good as they used to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this Place!MikeLLoganDined on 7/17/2014Have been dining here for years and love the constant improvement. Ditto the owner takes great pride in his restaurant and has chosen the most capable of general managers in his new GM Jamie! There isn't anything on the menu I don't like (save foods I just don't like) but they are always serving new, delicious dishes!!Special Features:
- Always SatisfiedShesgoingpl8cesDined on 7/16/2014This place never disappoints. I'm always excited to bring newbies to the restaurant for the Floriana Experience! It is definitely on my list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leafy alfresco destinationfoodieamboDined on 7/16/2014Delightful end for a frenetic day of meetings taxis and meetings with an out-of-town CEO. We were grateful to be offered our choice of terrace tables (we had an early reservation), and to be offered informed cogent wine advice on a perfect sip for a summer evening. The menu offers a variety of appealing choices -- so appealing that I am eager to return to sample more. My generously-sized starter of black gnocchi was a welcome and innovative take on an Italian classic; my companion's watermelon salad was the real deal -- sweet melon, tangy cheese shreds perfectly complementing each other. Our skate wing was slightly less fabulous -- a tad overcooked and oversauced. I anticipate with pleasure my next opportunity to dine at Floriana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above and Beyond!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/10/2014We had dinner pre-theatre with our daughter,son-in=law and their 2 children -ages 3 and 5. While there was no childrens menu the chef went out of his way to prepare their "likes" including meatballs with no gravy!! While we were eating the skies opened and it looked like a monsoon! Our waiter stood out in the rain until he found us 2 cabs to get us to the Kennedy Center! What more can we say-if in the area again we will surely return!Bravissimo!!Special Features:
- Cozy RestaurantVeryHappyGuyDCDined on 7/9/2014The restaurant was perfect for a birthday dinner. Although another table was next to us, my date and I felt that we could talk. The service was good and the wine list was reasonable. I went on a night when the wine list was half price off. I highly recommend it that you go on this night (Wednesday). My friend got a note from the restaurant when the server found out it was her birthday...Nice touch. The food was good. Recommend the calamari.Special Features:
- Nothing bad, nothing great.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014My wife and I went here for dinner. The restaurant is set in a converted house so it is an intimate atmosphere with tables on two floors. We sat on the ground floor which was very quiet (with some soft piano music in the background) but became gradually louder as more guests showed up. The service was good, but slow. I think our server was fairly new so I expect things will be a bit smoother and prompter next time. Still, he knew the menu, including the wine list, and was very polite. There are several vegetarian options but few vegan ones. I ended up getting a vegan version of the Mushroom Risotto, which was good but not great. My salad was the same. My wife got mussels and a beef lasagna, which she thought were above average.
- Great food and servicePeaceDocVIPDined on 7/9/2014Once again, delicious food at Floriana. Great mussels and the scallops were delicious. Great hazelnut torte for dessert -- though the tiramisu did not hit the spot. Service was excellent and attentive. It was a bit warm upon our arrival and the owner and staff did all in their power to make us more comfortable -- successfully so.Special Features:
- Romantic BirthdayCHeightsDinerDined on 7/8/2014Floriana provided the perfect atmosphere and dining experience for my birthday dinner last night. The ambiance is ideal for celebrations of all kinds, the food deliciously fresh and the servers attentive. If you dine in the lower level of the restaurant during spring or summer, prepare to be warm! The air tends to get a bit stuffy. Other than this the night was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian gemfrequentdinerVIPDined on 7/8/2014Floriana recently opened for lunch. Had a salad and lasagne for 15 bucks. Both were great!Special Features:
- MehAJdinerDined on 7/7/2014Decent ambience. Waitress not very knowledgeable on Italian food, limited menu choices.Special Features:
- WowJennyVIPDined on 7/6/2014We recently moved to the area and finally decided to try Floriana. What a great experience! The wine list is amazing and has some excellent Super Tuscans. The calamari is fresh, the salad dressings are great and the lasagna is life altering good! Big portions, so come hungry! I can't wait to try everything on the menu because there are no mediocre options...everything is superb! The super cool chef even came out to talk! I can't wait to go again! As soon as I shake my hangover.... :o)Special Features:
- July 6 :: lunchJeffVIPDined on 7/6/2014Very decent brunch\lunch for a Sunday. The added bonus is that wine is 1/2 off for all bottles. I had the NY Strip and doughnuts and both were very good. My dining partner had eggs benedict and she enjoyed. The server, Maria, was very attentive and kept careful watch over us as we ate.Special Features:
- Always Fresh Always GreatrtesmerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Love getting there shortly after they open, easy to get a table! Love the freshness of the food. Love the calamari and the lasagna. All is great, attentive service.Special Features:
- Repeat performance!MichaelVIPDined on 7/2/2014Another great experience at Floriana! The food, this time, was exceptional (pork and filet mignon). And the wine was perfect - thanks to the sage advice of Jamie who is primo in our book. Our last few times here were unexceptional, even slightly disappointing. This one revived our chances of returning yet again.Special Features:
- Fab for kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014Hi , had a fab meal , my twin girls Where totally looked after , in every way possible .. Waiter was really great with kids ... I would defo recommand to anyone who wants to experience top food with or without kid .., TOP MARKSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Get the lasagna it's great. The food is high quality and the bartender downstairs is great too.Special Features:
- Saturday BrunchKikiVIPDined on 6/28/2014I should have been prepared but I wasn't expecting brunch. The brunch menu was interesting but I was disappointed not to find the regular menu. I chose this restaurant for my birthday lunch. We both had the argula salad and grilled cheese sandwich. The bread and the cheeses were delicious but the pieces of bread were quite thick, very crunchy, and therefore hard to eat. The service was excellent. We will definitely return again - in the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchGatorGirlDined on 6/28/2014Floriana has a great brunch! The salmon eggs benedict were delicious! The mimosas were plentiful and very refreshing, and the overall ambience was great. Definitely a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.