234 South B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.atticrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6503424506
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: 4:00pm - last call
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: For catering, buffets, large party dining, after hour cocktail parties, or venue rental needs, please contact email@example.com or (650) 342-4506.
- Special Events: Level 236, a nightclub/ lounge venue next door to Attic, is also available for your private event needs. For rental and venue info, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 348-8008.
A word from Attic
An attic is where lost treasures are rediscovered, realized and re-imagined. Some of the most exciting flavors and culinary gems are hidden throughout Asia, where the cultures have mastered the art of cooking for centuries. With that in mind, we cordially invite you a unique exploration of food, décor, and service in San Mateo's Attic restaurant, bar and lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Attic - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Attic reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (8)special occasion (7)romantic (5)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Decent food but abysmal experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2012I was very disappointed with my experience here. I came with a large group for a friend's birthday, and the service was absolutely terrible. Servers rarely came by and were hard to flag down, our dishes came out at sporadic times (main courses coming out a full 15 - 20 minutes apart), and the server dashing off before taking the order of the birthday girl, of which it took another 15 minutes to flag him down again. Her dish ended up never coming at all. She managed by snacking off of others' plates. Also, strangely, when someone would ask for water they would bring one glass for the specific person who asked, then run off again. Not good.
- Attic's food and service areOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/5/2012Attic's food and service are consistently excellent. This is one of my most favorite local spots. The prices are also excellent for upscale and Asian food.Special Features:
- Attic is a neighbor gem, aOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2012Attic is a neighbor gem, a good place for the people to hanging out. The food was good and very tasty.Special Features:
- What a great dining experience--eveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2012What a great dining experience--everything is meant to be shared, family style. The food was a flavor explosion and gave me a different view of Filipino foods. The adobo chicken wing lollipops and long life noodles were my favorite dishes and the calamansi lime/mint drink was very refreshing!Special Features:
- DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!MBAVECDined on 8/18/2012My dining partner and I were not impressed by the Attic's food preparation or gross lack of attentive table service. The filet mignon was under cooked with the sauce prepared with too much vinegar. We waited 10-15 minutes for our drinks! The restaurant only had 3 tables of guests. The tables are too close so one hears the conversation of others loud and clear. Needless to say, run don't walk from the restaurant! Better yet, don't even bother to waste your time to make reservations!!
- Very noisy, some food goodSaltlyVIPDined on 8/9/2012Very noisy, some food good others dry, so need to find some that are good. Takes long time to get food. Good if your young and into bar scene, but I am older and did not know it was a bar scene place.Special Features:
- Beef Scalpicao was amazing!SelkiSkinVIPDined on 7/27/2012We were rather underwhelmed by the appetizers we had first. The calamari was a bit on the chewy side and the breading wasn't very crisp. The lumpia was a bit better. Then we got to the beef scalpicao. WOW!!! It was perfectly cooked and seasoned and so tender it almost melted in our mouths! The service was great. Our server actually gave us an honest opinion about our drink choices when we asked. We will definitely be back for more of that beef!Special Features:
- A great place to go in groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2012A great place to go in groups for a casual Filipino-style dining experience. Much of the food is made for sharing. There's a wide range of cocktails available and the service is quite responsive. The food is a bit overpriced in my opinion for the quality and portions but it's in downtown San Mateo and is quite a popular place to gather.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012Wonderful food, great service, very nice atmosphere. A definite be back.
- The food wasn't great. ChickenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/29/2012The food wasn't great. Chicken and mushroom lettuce wraps were salty and had no mushrooms. Only came with 4 lettuce leaves. Lumpia was just ok. Probably won't be back.
- Came here for dinner one SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2012Came here for dinner one Saturday night with my family. I appreciated the ambiance of the second floor dining experience, especially as we had a seat looking out toward the street. The The food overall was very good, crab rice, shaking beef both come to mind as the best food we had the evening. Our waiter was also very attentive throughout the evening and didn't seem overbearing during the meal. Parking is public and is either street parking or a parking garage a couple blocks away. Not a big deal but just a small pain trying to find parking in that area.Special Features:
- The AtticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2012Awesome resto in San Mateo. Food and service are excellent.Special Features:
- Food was great! Service wasNugGaryVIPDined on 6/8/2012Food was great! Service was very personable and fun, although a little slow at times. What takes away from the experience for us is the noise. Low ceiling and lots of hard surfaces make with noisy patrons makes it difficult to talk to your dinner partner. I wish management would treat the room acoustically.
- My favorite restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2012My favorite restaurant in San Mateo. The food is consistently wonderful, the staff is attentive, friendly, and want you to have the best experience possible. I've yet to have a bad dish or even cocktail at the Attic, and I'm kindof a regular these days, mostly because I know I'll have a great meal every time I go. Do plan ahead and make reservations, the word is out how great this place is, and it can get crowded. Plus, if you have time before or after, grab a drink at Under Attic as you enter/leave. A totally different selection of cocktails, and nibbles from the kitchen.Special Features:
- Fun, neighborhood place, upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/26/2012Fun, neighborhood place, upstairs with a super-friendly staff. Our food was good and different. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Young crowd ....very enthusiastic.livetoeatVIPDined on 5/24/2012Young crowd ....very enthusiastic. Ecclectic Asian menu ....food good, not outstanding ..service accommodating ...out mixed drinks were weak. They gladly sent them back for different ones, much better. Wish the food was as impressive.Special Features:
- Our server was pleasant andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/21/2012Our server was pleasant and enthusiastic, helping our party of 6 navigate the menu and make some excellent choices. Everything looked good. I liked the BBQ korean lettuce cups, garlic noodles, and brussel sprouts the best! the oxtail with the bone marrow was a yummy smokey dish. the poke packed some good heat but would love a little more tuna in the serviing. the ambiance was fun and energetic...i enjoyed the care and courtesy of the host and wait staff.Special Features:
- I love the food and I loveOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/13/2012I love the food and I love the place. I guess the only thing I wasn't too thrilled about was that I ordered the Sisig with egg. I received it without egg. That was okay. The issue was the server's approach. His approximate words were "It didn't come with the egg because you didn't say egg...". The person I was with confirmed that he had heard me order the dish with egg. I'm a very understanding person and realize that mistakes happen, but the way it is address can definitely be toned down a bit. He was a bit pompous. Also, good customer service normally doesn't involve pointing out the customer's possible error. Again, on a good note, the food was great and the ambiance was great. So, yes, I'll be back and have recommended to other.Special Features:
- Food outstanding. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2012Food outstanding. Service efficient but a little toonfast for our tasteSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2012These guys know what they're doing. WE enjoyed every bite. The staff were very attentive. I decided to book a table at the last moment which meant an earlier dinner..6:30pm because other times were sold out, although I know they still take walk-up, but I really liked the earlier dinner especially as it was midweek.Special Features:
- Megan is fantastic at makingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/23/2012Megan is fantastic at making drinks - she'll make you a special glass of happiness in the downstairs bar. The service and food were fantastic upstairs! We can't wait to go back for another date-night.Special Features:
- Very tasty but noodles a bitChatDined on 3/22/2012Very tasty but noodles a bit spicy. Great chicken wings! Best dish.Special Features:
- Not badFooddummyVIPDined on 3/17/2012The restaurant is in the top floor. But to get there you have to go through this really crowded bar. That makes it difficult to take kids to this place. Otherwise food was decentSpecial Features:
- I brought some friends toOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/13/2012I brought some friends to Attic who had never been. The staff was very friendly, and while the wait for the food was a bit long, it was definitely worth the wait. One of my friends commented that he thought I had made an excellent choice for our dinner spot. I especially enjoyed the beef and bone 'bulalo' but really everything we ordered was delicious. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- This is the second time we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/17/2012This is the second time we've been here and this place is awesome!!! Looking forward for the next one!Special Features:
- Good Before a MovieOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/14/2012Overlooking B Street directly opposite the movie theater, we thought the food was good not great. Some interesting ideas here, but think upscale bar food vs. pan-asian small plates. We had a pre fixe menu that night, but would return to sample more things ala carte. All in all a big step up from the other quick pre-movie places in the neighborhood.
- I wanted to try everythingawkdoggDined on 2/10/2012I wanted to try everything on the menu but ended up opting to sample a variety of their delicious dishes. I honestly liked everything I tried and the ones that stood out for me were the crispy pork and gailan stir fry appetizer and the "Death by Pork" platter [which served 4-6]. The service was outstanding from the moment we arrived until the moment we stepped out. Our group of 8 had a wonderful time and will most likely meet up at Attic again.Special Features:
- Wonderful Asian Fusion. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/8/2012Wonderful Asian Fusion. The place is truly a neighborhood gem; nothing likeit among numerous restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- As good as ever. Try the BulaloOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2012As good as ever. Try the Bulalo - it's great. Reservations are needed because of the limited space and high demand. Cocktails are potent. be careful.Special Features:
- This is my new favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/3/2012This is my new favorite restaurant in San Mateo. I haven't met a dish, or a drink they make that I haven't liked. Excellent flavors, top quality ingredients, attentive and incredibly friendly service. And, their dishes have great variety, at reasonable prices. You can create a light, or extensive meal as you choose. Seriously, what's not to like?Special Features:
- Spicy GemAdamDined on 2/2/2012fusion cuisine was flavorful and well presented. Dtrinks (non-alcoholic) were special as well.Special Features:
- The food was excellent anddvnoneVIPDined on 1/31/2012The food was excellent and served family style. The bar downstairs was very noisy and small. The low ceilings made the sound of laughter vibrate off the walls! The restaurant and bar upstairs was much nicer.Special Features:
- Fun, upbeat and hip atmosphere,ElCrispadorVIPDined on 1/28/2012Fun, upbeat and hip atmosphere, especially for downtown San Mateo, with delicious cuisine. Garlic noodles with fresh dungeness crab is outstanding. Lollipop chicken wings also very good. A refreshing find!Special Features:
- Wanted to go some place whereShariDined on 1/27/2012Wanted to go some place where the food was different instead of the usual. The menu is different and a variety for everyone's taste. I wanted to try something new and it met it's mark.Special Features:
- Modern interpretation of FilipinoHomecook43VIPDined on 1/26/2012Modern interpretation of Filipino cuisine. We loved the sisig and the crab butter fried rice. Would have liked more tanginess in the adobo wings. We'll definitely be back to try other things.Special Features:
- Service was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/25/2012Service was outstanding. You HAVE to try the garlic noodles and add the crab - it's worth it!Special Features:
- Attic never fails to impress!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2012Attic never fails to impress! The food is just getting better and better (their chef just got back with some awesome recipes from recent travels), they have a new dessert chef and their staff and management is FANTASTIC and gives special attention to their guests. They really love what they do and excel! and the dishes are magic!Special Features:
- Chef Timothy Luym presentsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2012Chef Timothy Luym presents a fresh exciting menu. We sampled most every item and nothing disapointed. We were delighted by the fusion of Filipino and Chinese flavors and on trend culinary styles. Chef spent a lot of quality time chatting with us and sharing ideas. Definately a must do!Special Features:
- Great cocktails, loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/11/2012Great cocktails, loved the tuna poke, brussel sprouts, sweet potato french fries with banana ketchup. The entrees were superb - filet mignon, scallops, chicken lollipops, crab and garlic noodles. And the service was excellent. So happy to have the Attic in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Been here multiple times.fun2dineoutVIPDined on 1/10/2012Been here multiple times. Enjoyed the unique menu items. Service is usually better than this particular eveing.Special Features: