234 South B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.atticrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6503424506
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: 4:00pm - last call
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: For catering, buffets, large party dining, after hour cocktail parties, or venue rental needs, please contact email@example.com or (650) 342-4506.
- Special Events: Level 236, a nightclub/ lounge venue next door to Attic, is also available for your private event needs. For rental and venue info, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 348-8008.
A word from Attic
An attic is where lost treasures are rediscovered, realized and re-imagined. Some of the most exciting flavors and culinary gems are hidden throughout Asia, where the cultures have mastered the art of cooking for centuries. With that in mind, we cordially invite you a unique exploration of food, décor, and service in San Mateo's Attic restaurant, bar and lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Attic - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Attic reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)special occasion (6)romantic (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good food-bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/1/2013Food was great--a bit over priced for the small portions though. The service was just straight bad; at my table and at neighboring tables. When the runner brought the food to the table a foot and a half away, he decided to deliver it by squeezing between our two tables and bending over...I actually leaned the other way because his bottom was nearly hitting me and my water glass. The other side of their table was plenty of open space which he should have utilized. They don't leave water carafes at your table, so you have to wait for them to walk by and refill your water. We had to ask one of the bussers, who stammered incoherently, to get a server to our table. Would return only for the food and not for a special occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at AtticckquanVIPDined on 6/1/2013My husband I had a date night and tried the Attic. We ordered the sweet potato fries, adobo chicken lollipops, bone marrow, and crab fried rice. Everything was very good. The service was also very good. Our server was attentive but not overly so. We will be returning again.Special Features:
- Attic worth a tryMMoonDined on 5/31/2013I didn't know what to expect, especially when Attic is described as Filipino-influenced cuisine but has Kimchi fried rice and other Korean-style dishes on their menu. Based on other reviews though, I knew that at least we'd have a lively bar scene downstairs to carry us through the night if dinner was less than stellar. We decided to order a slew of dishes and share them family-style, including the chicken wing lollipops, long life noodles, cauliflower & curry dish, and grilled edamame. Most of the dishes did not disappoint, although the lollipops -- which supposedly are a "customer fave" - were a bit too sour/salty without any depth of flavor to counterbalance it. Fun dinner spot, kind of youngish crowd if that's your thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You need more than just good foodPaulVIPDined on 5/31/2013The food is very. That's why we decided to give Attic a second chance, unfortunately they just don't seem to get to concept providing diners a dining out experience rather than merely serving them food. Attic offers 10 wines (plus 2 sakis), but they were out of 2 of the four whites they offer! There seems to be no effort to pace the meal, either. We felt very RUSHED. We ordered appetizers and held our menus and ordered our main course after the appies were served, but the mains STILL came before we were finished with our appies. I also ordered a glass of red wine with my main, and by the time they searched for it came back to tell me my red wine choice was also out of stock, our food was cold. HINT-restock wine BEFORE you run out not after!Special Features:
- Restaurant is upstairs hardOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/18/2013Restaurant is upstairs hard for kids. But they did accommodate.Special Features:
- Attic gave good dining experienceHema1808Dined on 5/4/2013Food was great. We were a party of four and shared the dishes. We had about 2 appetizers and 4 entrees. We were very full at the end and had to pack some food. Don't get deceived by quantity of the dishes. They look small but fill your appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great take on Filipino-Asian fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013Had dinner here on Saturday night, celebrating a girlfriend's birthday. We had a great time, the food was really good. In particular we enjoyed the adobo chicken wings, the shaking beef, the garlic noodles with crab, and the ube tapioca bread pudding for dessert. All of us ladies really enjoy good food, especially different and unique Asian dishes. We found the food really comforting. It was a little noisy and loud for us, but still had a great time. The service was good, they were trying hard to be welcoming and accommodating, so I certainly appreciated the efforts.Special Features:
- Repeat guest, always the requestedRaymondDined on 4/5/2013Repeat guest, always the requested place when we have vistors back in town. Service is consistently good, good explanations of menu items, good timing when checking on us, clearing plates. Cocktails, again a favorite with guests, unique and consistently prepared. Starter of S&P Calamari, no issues, always cooked well, very tender and flavorful. Mains; Adobo lollipops, good flavor, but at 16$ for a dozen, price is getting steep. 5 spice lettuce cups, liked the presentation better than in the past, chicken correctly seasoned and tender. The all time favorite for everybody has been the Shaking Beef and the Crab Butter Fried Rice, both were disappointments this time around, the filet was like a tougher sirloin , the rice was shy on crab.Special Features:
- Delicious food and drinks,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013Delicious food and drinks, and very attentive/polite staff. Great experience. As we left ~10pm it also seemed to have a fun bar vibe downstairs.Special Features:
- When you walk into a restaurantAtticVIPDined on 4/3/2013When you walk into a restaurant and is greeted by two friends, whom are having dinner, it is a coincidence. While those two friends leave and 10 minutes later 4 other friends show up it is no longer a coincidence but underlining the fact that this is one of the best restaurants around San Mateo.
- Unique find in a crowded areaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/29/2013Came here w/ a date & had a good time! Surrounded by a bunch of other restaurants in the area, it can be somewhat hidden, but once you know where it's located, it's much easier to find. To start off, I would recommend that you make reservations for this place, since it gets crowded during dinner time. The restaurant is located in a 2-story building, with the first floor being a bar area. The appetizers we ordered (particularly the musubi with quail egg) were delicious, and their bread pudding w/ ube topping dessert was awesome! In between, they had a nice assortment of entrees to select from, and the service was also friendly. I would recommend the adobo wing lollipops; they were full of flavor and distinct from all of their other dishes.Special Features:
- Good Place to Visit OccasionallyFridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 3/15/2013Really liked the mixed drinks, the Adobo Wing Lollipops, and Long Life Garlic Noodles - with crab - yay! We chose the Sisig with Milkfish. If you don't like strong-tasting fish, don't order it. Portions were perfect for a dinner for two.Special Features:
- I love Attic. The food isOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/12/2013I love Attic. The food is always fantastic and the service is very friendly and always make me feel like they remember me.Special Features:
- Great food and the serviceNugGaryVIPDined on 3/7/2013Great food and the service is attentive and fun! Sizzling Sisig is our favorite dish, but there are many other excellent choices as well.
- Always Perfect.RaymondDined on 3/1/2013Does not disapoint. Living around the corner, we've been here several times. Each time we have visitors in town, we've made a point of bringing them here, each time they come back, it's the Attic they request for that good food night out. Outstanding food, with service that has gotten so much better. Well run restaurant. Great prices and outstanding drinks. Get reservations.Special Features:
- the service was great. thenicknameVIPDined on 2/21/2013the service was great. the food was fabulous. the ambience, interesting and the way they presented the food was entertaining. We loved the way they presented the bill as well. Too cute.Special Features:
- I have been here three timesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013I have been here three times now and I have nothing bad to say about The Attic! Excellent food and excellent service! The Attic has also introduced me to my new favorite drink, The Bluegrass Mule: crushed ginger, bourbon, ginger beer, grenadine and lime. Delicious!Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013I personally would not recommend anyone to The Attic. I went here based off of pictures of food that I saw. When we got there, yes, we were seated right away, but our waiter, seemed to be rushed. He didn't even tell us his name. When it came time for our food, it took awhile. We had ordered three appetizers to begin with, but only got 2. After so many minutes, I had to check w/our waiter as to what was going on with the last appetizer. He didn't even bother to come check with us to let us know what the status of our food was. Finally, after so many more minutes, he served us our main food, but still had not served us our last appetizer, which is what my son was suppose to eat. The waiter avoided our table a lot.Special Features:
- Everything on the menu isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Everything on the menu is good. We always comeback for Death by the Pork and Sizzling Sisig.Special Features:
- Outstanding Filipino fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/7/2013No comment , drinks are great your bartender is not only the best in mixing drinks , he is also very accommodating . We had a fabulous time,can't wait to be there again to have the greatest Filipino fission in townSpecial Features:
- Nice location, the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013Nice location, the food was too salty. not really impressed.Special Features:
- Very loud and hard to hearQueenDined on 1/18/2013Very loud and hard to hear anything ....service was ok
- My wife and I were utterlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013My wife and I were utterly unimpressed by the food. Everything was too salty. The food lacked flavor, the Sisig dish looked sloppy and greasy, the garlic noodles were good but we could have had those elsewhere. The only thing we liked was the butterfish starter. All in all not the best experience for a restaurant we had high hopes for (my wife is 1/2 Filipino).
- Food was wonderful, serviceAmySDined on 1/10/2013Food was wonderful, service was very good and noise level was very loud. I had to speak loudly for my dining partner to hear me.Special Features:
- I live their garlic noodlesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2013I live their garlic noodles and sweet potato fries!Special Features:
- The bone marrow and filetOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/22/2012The bone marrow and filet mignon was the main reason I wanted to try the restaurant. It was good. The beef was a little overcooked. But overall the food was tasty and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Make sure you try the cocktailsbianVIPDined on 12/8/2012Make sure you try the cocktails on the lower level! Everything here was fantastic. I'd come back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- A great night out with friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/7/2012Wonderful food. I recommend the sisig and the garlic noodles, but truthfully, we enjoyed everything. A group of five ate several dishes and the total (food, tax, and tip -- no beverages) for $15 a piece! Considering the quality of the dishes, the ambience, and the smooth, professional service, I thought that was quite a reasonable bill. And don't miss Under Attic. It gets crowded... the bartender is fantastic, the appetizers are very special, and happy hour is much longer just than one hour!Special Features:
- Marco and the team at AtticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/6/2012Marco and the team at Attic did a fantastic job at hosting my girlfriend's birthday party. The service is outstanding and the food is incredible!! A winner for sure.Special Features:
- We love The Attic and go thereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/16/2012We love The Attic and go there whenever the occasion calls for a great local restaurant! Fab for small groups who want to share dishes. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Having dined at this locationAtticVIPDined on 11/10/2012Having dined at this location many times, and knowning many of the staff, it was bound to happen... Baaaad Waiter... This was just a relaxing Saturday night dinner so no biggie, but still... Waiter did not posess the basics skills of the trade and messed up everything from drinks orders to dinner culminating with forgetting one dish, which I had to make him aware off so he would remove from bill. Still a 3-Star experience as the food weighs up for the service.
- Appeals to a younger crowd.GeorgeVIPDined on 11/9/2012Appeals to a younger crowd. Food was very good, but seemed somewhat limited. Very different kind of environment for a Pan-Asian restaurant. Overall enjoyable, but would not hurry back.Special Features:
- Food was ok, but not great.vpinDined on 10/26/2012Food was ok, but not great. Drinks were pretty interesting. Seems like a good place for a group, though it is kind of small.Special Features:
- There were 6 of us and weOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/20/2012There were 6 of us and we started with appetizers and drinks. Then another large party of 10 or more showed up and it got really noisy. The noise level was so bad we were screaming at each other. So we decided to leave before ordering entrees. Also the drinks were a little watered down.Special Features:
- Do not miss Attic Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2012This place is awesome! Drinks are great and the Asian-inspired menu has tons of brilliantly executed Filipino dishes! Hurrah! I'm coming back fo sho - even if its a long drive for me :)Special Features:
- We have been there before.RonkDined on 9/25/2012We have been there before. Food and service were terrific again.Special Features:
- Delicious! Will definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2012Delicious! Will definitely be back many times. The food was amazing and the staff was super friendly!Special Features:
- Decent food but abysmal experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2012I was very disappointed with my experience here. I came with a large group for a friend's birthday, and the service was absolutely terrible. Servers rarely came by and were hard to flag down, our dishes came out at sporadic times (main courses coming out a full 15 - 20 minutes apart), and the server dashing off before taking the order of the birthday girl, of which it took another 15 minutes to flag him down again. Her dish ended up never coming at all. She managed by snacking off of others' plates. Also, strangely, when someone would ask for water they would bring one glass for the specific person who asked, then run off again. Not good.
- Attic's food and service areOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/5/2012Attic's food and service are consistently excellent. This is one of my most favorite local spots. The prices are also excellent for upscale and Asian food.Special Features:
- Attic is a neighbor gem, aOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2012Attic is a neighbor gem, a good place for the people to hanging out. The food was good and very tasty.Special Features: