Stella's Southern Bistro
684 C Fairview Rd
Simpsonville, SC 29680Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Stella's Southern Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stellasbistro.com/
- Phone: 8647571212x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Scholz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Indigo Room is an attractive, versatile space that can accommodate groups of up to 50 people. From buffet, to hors d oeuvres, to plated dinner- Stella"s can take care of any size or type of event.
- Private Party Contact: Julia Scholz 8647571212x
A word from Stella's Southern Bistro
Stella’s offers cuisine influenced by the coastal Carolinas & American south. We support regional food artisans & emphasize the importance of sourcing products harvested locally. Stella’s offers from-scratch food & genuine hospitality all served in a relaxed atmosphere. Enjoy the menu & cuisine of nationally recognized Chef Jason Scholz. Stella's can accommodate groups up to 50 in size in our beautiful & private Indigo Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Stella's Southern Bistro - Best Restaurants in Simpsonville ›
Stella's Southern Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (53)special occasion (52)great for lunch (28)romantic (24)notable wine list (24)good for groups (22)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Disappointing this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/24/2014Stella's is one of our favorite restaurants but last Friday evening the food wasn't up to the usual standard we've come to expect from this restaurant. Perhaps a large party in an adjoining room through off the kitchen. Our waiter was attentive and concerned when our expectations fell short: the frisee salad topped by egg was so cold it had little flavor, shrimp & grits seemed like a large pile of chopped tomatoes with few grits, the duck 3 ways fell short. We hope that it was an off night and will give Stella's another chance because our past experiences indicates this is one of the better kitchens in the Greenville area.Special Features:
- Wife's Birthday at Stella'sRichLarobDined on 1/17/2014We have visited Stella's many times and we always say that we've never had a bad meal or experience there. The staff is very friendly and Julia the owner makes you feel like you are at her home having a social gathering. Nothing is forgotten from the excellent bar staff to the main room waitstaff. Our friends visit about once a week and would not change a thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stella's BistroChipDined on 1/14/2014Is great! We returned after a two year absence-we will put Stella's back at the top of our list again as the food is local and awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulTruffleFriedDined on 1/11/2014Great menu choices, friendly, patient & knowledgeable staff. And delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Rush MealNY02TransplantDined on 1/11/2014Excellent overall meal. Our server was fantastic. His timing was the perfect combinationof attentive but provided space. In other words, he was there just as another glass of wine needed to be poured! We shared our entrees, so the chef created split smaller plates instead of us having to do it. Excellent dessert and an overall wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Experience!FRIARDined on 1/10/2014We have visited Stella's many times but this was the first time during restaurant week. The selections from the restaurant week were fabulous. Hangar Steak coupled with a ground pork "short rib" was coupled with winter vegetables and a reduction. The wine selection fully complimented the entree. We also learned to ask for recommendations for wine from the "not listed on the menu" cellar.Special Features:
- always a great meal in local placebillreedredVIPDined on 1/8/2014eat here about once every 6 - 8 weeks when traveling in the area for business and never disappointed nightly specials are always good with fresh food, small place with friendly serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Handle CrowdsTapiBearDined on 12/31/2013We had a lovely experience there before and the last two times we've been backing, including this one, we did not have the level of service and quality of food we were used to having. Of course we went during new years eve, our waitress didn't seem to want to be there but over all didn't hinder our experience too much. We didn't get any bread at all, several tables around us did and we only took noticed half way through dinner. Our meal came about an hour later after ordering, and with new years eve, the restaurant enclosed special party accessories for each table. The table for two next to us, received noise makers and hats enough for two while our table for four only had one top hat. I would have hoped for a little better experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's EveEnjoyableDined on 12/31/2013Stella's was great as usual. Just a little disappointed that the New Year's Eve menu was not a lot different than the usual menu. Would like to have seen a fresh fish and collard greens as a side dish instead of only with certain dishes you might order. The food we did have was great and the service was great as usual.Special Features:
- Delicious!SkscrivDined on 12/31/2013Went to Stella's on New Years Eve. This was my second time going. Both times I was highly impressed! The food is simply amazing! The wait staff also amazing. Great selection to choose from! One of these days I will try their dessert. I'm sure it will be outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve at StellasBartnkDined on 12/31/2013This was our second trip to Stellas and it was every bit exceptional as the first. Food was great, service great, definitely a place to rely on when looking for the best in the area. A little louder than the first time, but this was New Years Eve.Special Features:
- This is a place where we takeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/27/2013This is a place where we take out of town guests to. It is always excellent and always consistant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find. The previousJimKDined on 12/27/2013What a great find. The previous reviews were right on. The food and service were excellent. The salad wedge with the home made blue cheese was the best I've ever had. Also a must try is the fried okra.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch!AndrewVIPDined on 12/24/2013Stella's delivered once again with a great tasting lunch mad excellent service. The chef is so talented, and adds a nice twist to favorite southern delicacies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We can't stop eating here!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/18/2013As always, Michael is so amazing! We just love him to death. Tonight, my wife asked him the difference between the hanger steak and the NY strip. He informed us with the differences between the cuts of meat as well as giving us a description of where the cuts were found! EVERY menu item is described as if Ernest Hemingway was writing the review! The other waitstaff, the bus staff, the managers, and the host staff back him up in a manner that is unparalleled! In addition to the best service that we have ever had, the Chef's cuisine is brilliant! Michael and crew have transformed my family into billboards for this restaurant! We tell everyone! In fact, we were there tonight because our 7 yr. old son picked Stella's for his birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an "OK" experienceEpicFoodieVIPDined on 12/14/2013I am an avid foodie. I know restaurants have hiccups in terms of service and quality of food, rarely do they happen at the same time. Tonight it did: our waitress "Frankie" seemed very green or distracted. She either hovered over us - asking me three times if I wanted a glass of wine after I said "maybe later" 2x already, or she wasn't around at all. The shrimp and grits were delicious, with the tomato 'dressing' over the top was a perfect match of the grits underneath. There was an issue with the shrimp & grits that was sorta corrected with another dish. However, with the decibel level (read via iPhone app) at a steady 95-97 dB, peaking at 106dB, it was WAY to loud. I'd hate to work there and be subjected to this ear splitting noise.
- Everyday Gourmetluv67dineVIPDined on 12/10/2013I could eat here every day. I want to go back as soon as possible. The menu was unbelievable and I wanted to try everything on the menu. The night I was there I had duck 5 ways: sausage, breast, confit, fritter and jambalaya. So good. Also, I had a salad that had sweet potato pound cake croutons on it. So good. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a bit loudSirSmiles64Dined on 12/7/2013This place has great food! I really enjoy how they embrace using local products. Our waiter, Duke, was excellent. However, at times the noise level reached such heights that it was difficult to hear Duke while he was talking to us. Also our table arrangement put us in a semi-circle with the other couple that was with us. The noise level again would reach a height where we were yelling at each other to carry on our own conversation. Great food, great service, reasonable prices, but if you are looking for a quiet, romantic place to eat you may want to consider somewhere else.Special Features:
- OutstandingEllisonRDined on 12/6/2013This was our first trip to Stella's Southern Bistro, but it will not be the last. Everything was fantastic, from the appetizer through the coffee and dessert...and the service was even better. I cannot say enough good things about Stella's. Locally owned and sourced from area farms. Give it a try, you'll be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent!JetWallyDined on 12/4/2013Having eaten at Stella's several times, I have always had great experiences with the food and service. The only drawback to the restaurant is the noise level. I wish they would install some sound panels. I have tried a number of selections, and each is prepared with wonderful seasonings and a wonderful combination of ingredients which make it truly southern gourmet. Service was wonderful and the detailed descriptions by the waiter had my mouth watering even before I ordered. Although they do not have many choices of deserts, make sure you leave room to share one. They have a nice wine list and a full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/3/2013Michael waited on us. He is spectacular! We have never seen a server who is so personable, and so knowledgeable about the menu! Backing up this brilliant server was impeccable cuisine, and a support staff that assists each other to make sure that our dining was truly an experience! Management has created a team atmosphere that I have never seen before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experience!MZMMDined on 11/27/2013This was the second time I had dined at Stella's Southern Bistro - first time was a few years ago for a friend's rehearsal dinner party and second was for my anniversary. The ambiance is very nice and our waitress was very friendly and service very timely. The price was reasonable for the food and atmosphere. Food presentation was very nice and the Chocolate sampler dessert was amazing! My only complaint was that the crab cake I ordered tasted funny - must've been a bad batch or probably need a new recipe. Overall, I definitely recommend Stella's and it's a great way to support local restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTapiBearDined on 11/26/2013They forgot about our food order for a while but the food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD EatsCUdinersDined on 11/23/2013Went to Stella's for an anniversary dinner - didn't have the overall "WOW" factor that is common at restaurants in large cities/abroad. You can't expect too much from the Upstate, but that said the food was definitely very good. It didn't quite cross the threshold of "great" but hey, not bad at all! Definitely a good place for a fancy but not terribly adventurous dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food! Fresh ingredients,CharlestonDinerVIPDined on 11/23/2013Excellent food! Fresh ingredients, beautifully plated and perfectly cooked. Service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodSingerchefVIPDined on 11/22/2013We are so happy that we have such a good restaurant that isn't far from our home.Special Features:
- Good Lunch SpotMarkJVIPDined on 11/21/2013Not many options in Simpsonville, but this place never disappoints. Great service, varied menu and price make this a must stop if you are close by.Special Features:
- Another great night at Stella'sHappydinerVIPDined on 11/16/2013Our server, Austin, was excellent. We had a tenuous situation come up, and his intuition and social dexterity was very impressive. As we have always experienced, the food was creative, tasty and perfectly prepared. On Austin's suggestion, we also enjoyed a fabulous bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as the first timeClariceDined on 11/16/2013The first time I went to Stella's it was great. Good food, good service and an overall great place to enjoy a special meal. This last time was disappointing. I was with a party of 5 at 5:30. Service was slow and the food was not great. I spent over $200 dollars that night and it was totally not worth it.. I think it was my last time.
- Amazing experiencecarlosVIPDined on 11/12/2013The food and service was excellent. I can't complaint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2013We were going to the Younts performance Center for a production and wanted to go somewhere that was not a chain restaurant and found Stella's. We were pleased with the staff, the waiter was great in that he gave just the right amount of interaction and anticipated our needs. He gave updates to let us know the status of the food so there were no worries. The food was fantastic and my husband and I agreed that we would definately go back again the first chance we got. We would truly recommend it!!Special Features:
- Food was exceptional, as wasBartnkDined on 10/30/2013Food was exceptional, as was the service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike our waiter was fantastic.SkelicheDined on 10/25/2013Mike our waiter was fantastic. His description of each dish make it hard to pick just one. He was very attentive and personable and knew when not to interrupt. The gentlemen providing water and picking up plates was great as well. And the food...wow!. The swordfish was the best we have ever had. Oh, the desserts...another wow!!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the UpstateReidDined on 10/24/2013Returned to Stella for an anniversary dinner and was not nor ever have been disappointed. Great atmosphere, wonderful service and without a doubt some the best food the upstate has to offer. We will be back again and again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We found our experience toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2013We found our experience to be a little underwhelming. The food was good, and the staff was reasonably friendly. However, it seemed to lack just a touch of class we were hoping for with subtle things (paper tablecloths, noise, lighting). It's not much cheaper than some restaurants in Greenville that have a better ambiance, so what's the draw? We were happy to try Stella's but we will probably stay in town next time.
- dining experiencekaycee22384Dined on 10/24/2013This restaurant is a family favorite. The complete dining experience is beyond compare. The chef never fails to amaze with his delicious creations using local foods. It is southern cooking with a flare. The ambience of the restaurant is perfect for a special occasion or a large group. The staff is always very knowledgeable of the dishes and describes them perfectly. They can assist you with pairing the perfect wine with your selection of food. Every diner receives personal attention from their server and you are made to feel as you are the only diner in the restaurant. The chef and his wife are always available to speak with you and often Julia checks to make sure that your dining experience is pleasurable. An excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2013as always, I really enjoyed my lunch at Stellas. We all had a good time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceRobCDined on 10/22/2013My wife and I went for our anniversary as this was the restaurant that held our rehearsal dinner. The service was outstanding. Our waiter knew everything about the food and had wonderful opinions to offer without being intrusive. And the food...the food was amazing. I can't recommend Stella's enough, though the cost is a bit high so maybe we'll try to keep to once a week or so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2013Never had a bad meal here...service and food is always top notch!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and great foodMarkVVIPDined on 10/18/2013We enjoyed another great meal at Stella's. Austin was our waiter and he made the evening wonderful with great service and his in-depth knowledge of each dish. The trout was excellent and the special salad of the evening with cured Duck Bacon was really good. Quite a surprise of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.