Acqua Al 2
212 7th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Acqua Al 2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acquaal2dc.com/
- Phone: 2025254375x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ari Gejdenson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Acqua Al 2
DC native, Ari Gejdenson, has brought Acqua al 2, known around the world for true Tuscan cuisine, to Capitol Hill. Famous for its Bisteca alla Fiorentina, balsamic and blueberry fillets, variety of vegetarian pastas, and daily fresh fish selections, this warm and rustic restaurant offers an authentic dining experience that will transport you back to Florence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Acqua Al 2 - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Acqua Al 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (143)fit for foodies (142)special occasion (119)romantic (97)notable wine list (81)great for outdoor dining (73)good for groups (36)hot spot (24)great for lunch (23)kid-friendly (17)great for brunch (13)late-night find (10)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- A very special restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014This Italian restaurant is very special. The food preparation is extraordinary and the waiter we had did not hesitate to make recommendations, all of which were excellent. Go. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Momcandi801Dined on 5/24/2014My mom and I visited and had dinner & LOVED everything about this place. This restaurant will most likely become one of my favorite spots in DC. :) A total gem!Special Features:
- Authentic Italian TrattoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/23/2014If you're looking for pastas, risottos, and grilled meats done "as the Romans" do it, then Acqua al 2 is the place. This is the most authentically Italian cuisine in DC. Preparations are simple and straightforward. But the results are astounding! Must tries are the risotto with porcini mushrooms and the risotto with gorgonzola--both creamy, earthy, and done al dente. For meats--go for the simply grilled veal chop over arugula and tomatoes. Also tried the veal chop with a mustard cream sauce, but it was not as good as the simpler version.Special Features:
- Just like Florence!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014My girlfriend and I had been to the Florence Acqua al 2 a couple of times while we studied there for a semester. On a recent trip to DC we decided to see if this location measured up. We had an excellent time again! We recommend ordering both the assagio di primi and secondi to really experience the wonderful pasta and amazing steaks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBillB1VIPDined on 5/20/2014Tried Acqua Al 2 on a friends recommendation and we were not disappointed.........in fact, we went back the next night and it was equally amazing. Food reminded us of our time in Florence, Italy (FYI, Acqua has a location there we will be visiting on our next trip) wine list was amazing and the service friendly and accommodating. If you have a reservation somewhere else, cancel it and call Acqua.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantddddVIPDined on 5/17/2014Food delicious and service excellent. The fuscilli with porcini mushrooms was scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best outdoor dining on The HillHillresidentVIPDined on 5/16/2014Great food and service, plus great people watching of Eastern MarketSpecial Features:
- loved the placeronbDined on 5/15/2014While it's Italian and the pasta was wonderful, , the chicken was great and the wine was marvelous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisVIPDined on 5/15/2014Love this place. The red snapper special was fabulous and everything about the evening was special. Saw the speak-easy upstairs (ask about it) and plan to come back just for that.
- Great foodLauraDined on 5/14/2014Took a group to dinner this week after Hill visits. All enjoyed their entrees and wow, desserts were awesome! A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem on the Hill!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/13/2014Acqua al 2 continues to be a go-to for us. For lunch, their 3-course menu (prix-fixe) is a must. Can't wait to go back for the fussilli in creamy spinach sauce, and of course, the flour-less chocolate cake!Special Features:
- Yummy but small portionsYummyDined on 5/10/2014We were late due to my college grad we could not wake:) but they were so kind And held our table. Did not rush us thru our meal but let us relax and enjoy! Food Was delicious but portions small. I would Recommend:)I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate casualCharlottesville29Dined on 5/10/2014The decor includes dinner plates signed by celebrities, and has a woody, informal bistro style, but the service is really efficient and professional and both times we've been impressed with the food. The prices are high, but not out of line with DC. We ordered specials; mine, with scallops, was wonderful in texture and flavor; not trying to impress in presentation, but looked good, too. The salads and desserts weren't quite as out of the ordinary, but almost. It's easy to feel comfortable and well treated here.Special Features:
- A great anniversary experienceBankerbobDined on 5/9/2014Great Italian food and an authentic Italian waiter added to the experience. Service was attentive from the time we arrived till the end of our meal. When I made the reservation I made just one note about our anniversary, asking for an "appropriate table" for the occasion. At the end of our meal to our surprise we received a plate of four deserts, with two candles, and two excellent glasses of champagne. And the manager came by to wish us a Happy Anniversary and to inquire about our experience. A great night.Special Features:
- Pasta at its finest!!Weeat1230Dined on 5/9/2014I have been to Acqua Al 2 three times, and every experience has been amazing. This is a great restaurant that takes even greater pride in their food and customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weekday lunchweeklydinerVIPDined on 5/9/2014This is the first time I've made it here for lunch. It was already my favorite restaurant-i-always-forget-about in DC. The lunch special will probably help me remember it now! $20 for 3 courses, and my favorite item - the balsamic steak - is on the list! Sat outside and watched the dogs walk by, had a nice greek salad, balsamic steak, and tiramisu. The tiramisu wasn't great, but it was better than the cheesecake. I probably shouldn't be eating dessert anyway. It's a good thing I don't work closer to Acqua Al 2 or I'd be there for lunch everyday...except Monday, when I'd cry because they're closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED Acqua Al 2!alo22Dined on 5/8/2014My friends and I had a wonderful dining experience at Acqua Al 2. We sat outside and enjoyed the quiet neighborhood and amazing food that Acqua Al 2 has to offer. The homemade pastas were especially delicious, and we also tried the famous blueberry steak, which definitely lived up to its positive reviews. Acqua Al 2 is the best Italian restaurant that I have been to in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous gnocchi!outandaboutDined on 5/7/2014I always feel that gnocchi are the test for any Italian restaurant. Mine (with a gorgonzola sauce) were absolutely divine. I like the feel of Acqua Al 2, which is a restaurant in the true Italian spirit: laid back in every way except for the food. Everything we had was delicious, right down to the expresso afterwards. We went for a weekday lunch, and the place was just what we needed: good conversation (not too crowded and loud), relaxing atmosphere, and superb food and wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/6/2014The noise level actually varies throughout the restaurant. The front (and two booths in the middle) is quite and almost intimate. The back is much noisier. The food is solid Italian. Far from the best I've ever had but still very tasty, and I would go again. Also, they have many vegetarian menu options (expected) and half a dozen vegan menu options, which was a pleasant surprise.
- Best Italian food in DCab87VIPDined on 5/4/2014Simply the best Italian food in all of DC. Don't waste your time going other places. This is it. It doesn't get any better. The pastas are top notch and so is the fileto (medium rare, please). The pana cotta is simply out of this world. Do not go there and leave without having the pana cotta. I nice glass of frangelico will suit it well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014We saw the sister store in Florance. You can't get any closer to Tuscan food in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy eatersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Our server (Pierre?) was fantastic! Helped pick the right wine and sold us on the dishes! The food from the salad tasting to cheese to entree was all very delicious. Can't wait to come here again and try more of the menu.Special Features:
- PeteDined on 5/2/2014We tried the sampler of pastas. The sauces were ok, but the pasta in every dish was a bit rubbery. Expected the noodles to be made fresh in house. Disappointing.
- Love AquaSkipVIPDined on 5/2/2014A regular stop for us. Know the staff very well. Consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dont miss this gemknowsgoodfoodDined on 5/1/2014an absolute great experience. just like the original Florentine establishment. Don't miss the pasta sampler, ... the steak sampler was also extraordinarySpecial Features:
- Hits the mark againOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/1/2014We love to come here for special occasions. Service is always great, food is outstanding (try the balsamic filet) and the atmosphere is vibrant.Special Features:
- Italy on Capitol HillLinndaDined on 4/27/2014Delicious and authentic Italian cuisine and a lovely spot for a good coversation. Great spot next to the Eastern Market which is 1 mile southeast of the U.S. Capitol.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/27/2014The food was superb -we ordered pasta, steak and fish. Sharif was very attentive and patient. We all had a great time as usual.Special Features:
- Italian perfection w/ a casual vibeTwofoodiesfromVADined on 4/26/2014It's a young, casual, upscale Italian restaurant. The salad course came right away and were satisfactory. The fennel & radicchio salad was a little too bitter and flavors not well balanced. Pasta courses are generous and excellent. The grilled chicken on a bed of arugula brined for two days was something special and alone worth the trip. Service was prompt and no-nonsense. The Eastern Market neighborhood is quaint and vibrant and we walked to get gelato after. You can pretend you're in Florence for the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as FlorenceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014My friend and I went to this acqua al 2 because we had been to the one in Florence. This one was amazing as well! The food was incredible as always and we sat outside which was so nice.Special Features:
- Best Italian Food I've Ever HadicarmagicVIPDined on 4/23/2014Honestly we were stuck driving back to Baltimore from Virginia and stopped for food. Sat at the bar and some of the old school Italian guys were literally blown away with this place. Amazing food. The End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindJP422pDined on 4/22/2014I was taken here for my birthday as a surprise and Acqua Al 2 did not disappoint. We were able to sit outside on the patio and the atmosphere was great. All the staff were extremely polite and helpful. The food was amazing, we tried the Filet with a blueberry reduction which was delicious. The pasta dish we shared was also a great choice. I would definitely recommend this to a friend and I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Sketchy service but meal was goodFoodChickVIPDined on 4/21/2014Waited 3 minutes for workers to find hostess, never found. Seated by waiter. My guest arrived minutes later, was told I hadn't arrive. Decor is lovely Old World & rustic. Cocktails were delicious but high-priced. Go for the salads, they're big and full of flavor: Insalata Finocchio (fennel, pine nuts, radicchio); The Rucola e Pere salad was excellent (Arugula, pear). Fussilli Lunghi al Mascarpone e Funghi was the fave out of both main dishes; very mushroom-y, with a very light cream sauce. Cannelloni Mascarpone e Funghi--mushrooms are lost in this very saucy dish, which is disappointing if you want to taste mushrooms but the dish is still very tasty. Our waitress was just ok and scarce. Server was very good--gracious, mannerly, observant.Special Features:
- Best of the bestCSJ5VIPDined on 4/20/2014Great pasta, great steak and amazing desserts! The first time you go try the chef's tasting pastas and steaks. As well as the tasting dessert which comes with 4 different types of dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...butEdwardDined on 4/20/2014Very good food. OK service. We repeatedly asked the staff to turn down the much too loud and very annoying music. The ey responded positively and politely and turned down for short periods. But within 10 minutes, the muic level was back up. We asked again. Same result. It literally became a joke.
- Best pasta everCaitlinPDined on 4/19/2014Amazing food at Acqua al 2. I had the finoccio salad (shaved fenel) the rigatoni melazane, and the artichoke chicken. All delicious. The pasta there is hands down, the best I've had in DC. They make their noodles fresh, daily. I've also had the filet here before. It's wonderful. My only complaint is that the restaurant can be VERY loud.Special Features:
- Best pasta in dcOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Their pasta is incredible. The dishes are creative and I'm pretty sure most of their pastas are handmade. I went here for lunch before eastern market and sat outside to enjoy watching the people and vendors. I would highly recommend doing this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner!DCdinerDined on 4/16/2014I took a friend for a nice Birthday dinner after hearing lots of great things about this place. The food was incredible, and the timing of the service was perfect. After a couple appetizers, we ordered the pasta sampler which was amazing, but warning: it fills you up! They brought out 5 different samples of their pasta dishes which was a great way to try things that you wouldn't normally order, and each dish looked small, but by the time we were done, I could barely touch my Entree because I was so full! I had a fish special which was delicious, perfectly cooked with crispy skin. Overall, great!Special Features:
- I loved Acqua al 2 in Firenze,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2014I loved Acqua al 2 in Firenze, and I love it in D.C. Gnocchi and porterhouse steak for 2. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad place, bad attitude, bad pricePepeDined on 4/13/2014I made my reservation on Open Table and I wrote a note that I need a table outside, unfortunately when I arrived they told me that didn't ask for outside. And the only answer was I had to wait 30 min, so I wait but the food was very bad I asked for a fritata and I received a very grease omelette for a 12 dollar the waiting time for that omelette was 30 min so I won't go again.Special Features: