Acqua Al 2
212 7th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Acqua Al 2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acquaal2dc.com/
- Phone: 2025254375x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ari Gejdenson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Acqua Al 2
DC native, Ari Gejdenson, has brought Acqua al 2, known around the world for true Tuscan cuisine, to Capitol Hill. Famous for its Bisteca alla Fiorentina, balsamic and blueberry fillets, variety of vegetarian pastas, and daily fresh fish selections, this warm and rustic restaurant offers an authentic dining experience that will transport you back to Florence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Acqua Al 2 - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Acqua Al 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
236 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (147)fit for foodies (146)special occasion (118)romantic (106)notable wine list (83)great for outdoor dining (74)good for groups (33)great for lunch (24)hot spot (23)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great food. Better serviceFoodierunnerDined on 6/13/2014We really enjoye our meal here -- fun and interesting cocktails to start, very good food, nice setting. I will say that the service was Ben better than the good. Our server, Tori, was outstanding -- charming, helpful, engaging, and professional. We'd come back for the food, but want to make sure we are in her section if we do come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TexasGalDined on 6/13/2014very nice little find. loved the food and atmosphere. Would certainly return when in the DC area.Special Features:
- As good as we remembered itTwoContinentsFanDined on 6/13/2014We'd been meaning to go to Acqua ever since we ate in the original Florence restaurant, which was a gem. The Washington version in no way disappointed, unless you consider that we had to wait 10 minutes for our table even though it was an early (6:00 pm) reservation. All five of us -- two 50-somethings and three 20-somethings -- thought every single dish was, at worst, great. We had a variety of appetizers, including the variety of pastas, a couple of filet mignons, a chicken and two fish dishes. We're not big drinkers but the wine was fine and reasonably priced. The waitress was helpful in suggesting menu items. Unfortunately, we had to leave before we could try dessert. So I guess we'll have to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great times at Acqua Al 2Dzell81Dined on 6/7/2014We've had two wonderful dinners at Acqua Al 2. I recommend this to anyone seeking 'real' italian food. Don't be afraid of the meats. Most Italian restaurants are not known for their steaks, however, these are some of the best in town. Great restaurant all around, I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- dining experiencemambojoeDined on 6/7/2014fodd was very good with just the right portions. the staff was very polite and you well attended without being overbearingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShecagoDined on 6/6/2014Loved that the bartender came over and asked if we wanted anything while waiting...even water. Wait wasn't long at all. Food was wonderful. Fresh. My husband isn't a vegetarian but loved my vegetarian pasta sampler and his steak trio. I know it's good when he makes a face! Great wine recommendation. Host remembered my name as I went to the restroom and asked how I was enjoying my evening. Fantastic night out with hubby. Would definitely come back. Next time I will know Donne is the women's restroom!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteEagleKatieVIPDined on 6/5/2014We had been to the Acqua al 2 in San Diego a few years back and were so excited to see that they also had a Washington location that we made plans to go there about 6 months in advance while visiting the area. The dinner lived up to our already high expectations. The 5 chef-selection pastas to start and the blueberry/balsamic steaks are simply extraordinary. Service was prompt and polished. Atmosphere was perfect for our group of 6. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDistrictWyndhamDined on 6/2/2014We went for our anniversary, and it was absolutely amazing. Some of the best Italian food in DC we have ever had. If you go for all the courses it can be a bit pricey, but it is worth every penny. Great for vegetarians too!Special Features:
- Wonderful Italian RestaurantSusanVIPDined on 6/1/2014My family tried this restaurant across from Eastern Market to celebrate my birthday. Appetizers were great: large cheese and meat plates. I ordered ricotta and spinach meatballs in an authentic flavorful tomato sauce. Two of us continued with pasta dishes and the other two with steak. The pasta is the best I have had in DC. The steaks were either served with a balsamic or blueberry sauce, very unique. No complaints. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre-theatreOldGuyDined on 5/31/2014Good food, good service in a relaxed atmosphere. Better value than others in the neighborhood like Sonoma and Montmartre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True ItalianDianeVIPDined on 5/31/2014This is a wonderful restaurant to find unpretentious, truly Italian food, not some tarted up version. Excellent service along with appropriately sized portions. A little gem.....hope to visit the original in Italy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014Great food, outstanding service, and happy customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic MealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2014This was one of the best meals I have had since living in DC. The pasta sampler is NOT to be missed! The filet in balsamic reduction ... well ... I wanted to lick the plate! And the tiramisu was sublime. Wait staff very friendly and knowledgeable. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Dinner for 3RalphDined on 5/27/2014Food was well-prepared and quite tasty. Loved the burrata with apricots, good pairing. The fillet with the balsamic reduction was excellent.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedBillDined on 5/25/2014I've never been disappointed with my meals and service here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014This Italian restaurant is very special. The food preparation is extraordinary and the waiter we had did not hesitate to make recommendations, all of which were excellent. Go. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with Momcandi801Dined on 5/24/2014My mom and I visited and had dinner & LOVED everything about this place. This restaurant will most likely become one of my favorite spots in DC. :) A total gem!Special Features:
- Authentic Italian TrattoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/23/2014If you're looking for pastas, risottos, and grilled meats done "as the Romans" do it, then Acqua al 2 is the place. This is the most authentically Italian cuisine in DC. Preparations are simple and straightforward. But the results are astounding! Must tries are the risotto with porcini mushrooms and the risotto with gorgonzola--both creamy, earthy, and done al dente. For meats--go for the simply grilled veal chop over arugula and tomatoes. Also tried the veal chop with a mustard cream sauce, but it was not as good as the simpler version.Special Features:
- Just like Florence!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014My girlfriend and I had been to the Florence Acqua al 2 a couple of times while we studied there for a semester. On a recent trip to DC we decided to see if this location measured up. We had an excellent time again! We recommend ordering both the assagio di primi and secondi to really experience the wonderful pasta and amazing steaks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBillB1VIPDined on 5/20/2014Tried Acqua Al 2 on a friends recommendation and we were not disappointed.........in fact, we went back the next night and it was equally amazing. Food reminded us of our time in Florence, Italy (FYI, Acqua has a location there we will be visiting on our next trip) wine list was amazing and the service friendly and accommodating. If you have a reservation somewhere else, cancel it and call Acqua.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantddddVIPDined on 5/17/2014Food delicious and service excellent. The fuscilli with porcini mushrooms was scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best outdoor dining on The HillHillresidentVIPDined on 5/16/2014Great food and service, plus great people watching of Eastern MarketSpecial Features:
- loved the placeronbDined on 5/15/2014While it's Italian and the pasta was wonderful, , the chicken was great and the wine was marvelous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouisVIPDined on 5/15/2014Love this place. The red snapper special was fabulous and everything about the evening was special. Saw the speak-easy upstairs (ask about it) and plan to come back just for that.
- Great foodLauraDined on 5/14/2014Took a group to dinner this week after Hill visits. All enjoyed their entrees and wow, desserts were awesome! A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem on the Hill!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/13/2014Acqua al 2 continues to be a go-to for us. For lunch, their 3-course menu (prix-fixe) is a must. Can't wait to go back for the fussilli in creamy spinach sauce, and of course, the flour-less chocolate cake!Special Features:
- Yummy but small portionsYummyDined on 5/10/2014We were late due to my college grad we could not wake:) but they were so kind And held our table. Did not rush us thru our meal but let us relax and enjoy! Food Was delicious but portions small. I would Recommend:)I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate casualCharlottesville29Dined on 5/10/2014The decor includes dinner plates signed by celebrities, and has a woody, informal bistro style, but the service is really efficient and professional and both times we've been impressed with the food. The prices are high, but not out of line with DC. We ordered specials; mine, with scallops, was wonderful in texture and flavor; not trying to impress in presentation, but looked good, too. The salads and desserts weren't quite as out of the ordinary, but almost. It's easy to feel comfortable and well treated here.Special Features:
- A great anniversary experienceBankerbobDined on 5/9/2014Great Italian food and an authentic Italian waiter added to the experience. Service was attentive from the time we arrived till the end of our meal. When I made the reservation I made just one note about our anniversary, asking for an "appropriate table" for the occasion. At the end of our meal to our surprise we received a plate of four deserts, with two candles, and two excellent glasses of champagne. And the manager came by to wish us a Happy Anniversary and to inquire about our experience. A great night.Special Features:
- Pasta at its finest!!Weeat1230Dined on 5/9/2014I have been to Acqua Al 2 three times, and every experience has been amazing. This is a great restaurant that takes even greater pride in their food and customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weekday lunchweeklydinerVIPDined on 5/9/2014This is the first time I've made it here for lunch. It was already my favorite restaurant-i-always-forget-about in DC. The lunch special will probably help me remember it now! $20 for 3 courses, and my favorite item - the balsamic steak - is on the list! Sat outside and watched the dogs walk by, had a nice greek salad, balsamic steak, and tiramisu. The tiramisu wasn't great, but it was better than the cheesecake. I probably shouldn't be eating dessert anyway. It's a good thing I don't work closer to Acqua Al 2 or I'd be there for lunch everyday...except Monday, when I'd cry because they're closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED Acqua Al 2!alo22VIPDined on 5/8/2014My friends and I had a wonderful dining experience at Acqua Al 2. We sat outside and enjoyed the quiet neighborhood and amazing food that Acqua Al 2 has to offer. The homemade pastas were especially delicious, and we also tried the famous blueberry steak, which definitely lived up to its positive reviews. Acqua Al 2 is the best Italian restaurant that I have been to in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous gnocchi!outandaboutDined on 5/7/2014I always feel that gnocchi are the test for any Italian restaurant. Mine (with a gorgonzola sauce) were absolutely divine. I like the feel of Acqua Al 2, which is a restaurant in the true Italian spirit: laid back in every way except for the food. Everything we had was delicious, right down to the expresso afterwards. We went for a weekday lunch, and the place was just what we needed: good conversation (not too crowded and loud), relaxing atmosphere, and superb food and wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/6/2014The noise level actually varies throughout the restaurant. The front (and two booths in the middle) is quite and almost intimate. The back is much noisier. The food is solid Italian. Far from the best I've ever had but still very tasty, and I would go again. Also, they have many vegetarian menu options (expected) and half a dozen vegan menu options, which was a pleasant surprise.
- Best Italian food in DCab87VIPDined on 5/4/2014Simply the best Italian food in all of DC. Don't waste your time going other places. This is it. It doesn't get any better. The pastas are top notch and so is the fileto (medium rare, please). The pana cotta is simply out of this world. Do not go there and leave without having the pana cotta. I nice glass of frangelico will suit it well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014We saw the sister store in Florance. You can't get any closer to Tuscan food in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy eatersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Our server (Pierre?) was fantastic! Helped pick the right wine and sold us on the dishes! The food from the salad tasting to cheese to entree was all very delicious. Can't wait to come here again and try more of the menu.Special Features:
- PeteDined on 5/2/2014We tried the sampler of pastas. The sauces were ok, but the pasta in every dish was a bit rubbery. Expected the noodles to be made fresh in house. Disappointing.
- Love AquaSkipVIPDined on 5/2/2014A regular stop for us. Know the staff very well. Consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dont miss this gemknowsgoodfoodDined on 5/1/2014an absolute great experience. just like the original Florentine establishment. Don't miss the pasta sampler, ... the steak sampler was also extraordinarySpecial Features: