Acqua Al 2
212 7th Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Acqua Al 2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.acquaal2dc.com/
- Phone: 2025254375x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian
- Executive Chef: Ari Gejdenson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Acqua Al 2
DC native, Ari Gejdenson, has brought Acqua al 2, known around the world for true Tuscan cuisine, to Capitol Hill. Famous for its Bisteca alla Fiorentina, balsamic and blueberry fillets, variety of vegetarian pastas, and daily fresh fish selections, this warm and rustic restaurant offers an authentic dining experience that will transport you back to Florence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Acqua Al 2 - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Acqua Al 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (149)fit for foodies (147)special occasion (121)romantic (108)notable wine list (84)great for outdoor dining (74)good for groups (33)hot spot (24)great for lunch (24)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Delicious downtown D.C. dining.MamaKDined on 8/9/2014Just as delicious as the original in Florence. The Filetto al Balsamico is melt-in-your-mouth good. We loved the tastings option to try various pastas, salads and desserts. We loved comparing and sampling the chefs choices.You will want to try everything here. The location at Eastern Market is perfect for visitors and residents. This is a charming spot with a warm cozy feel, inside and out. Our waiter was very knowledgable and helpful with both the menu and the wines. Crisp and attentive service. We will be back. Don't miss this Capitol gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent pastaPooPahDined on 8/9/2014Red wine list, particularly the Chiantis was really nice and deep particularly in the mid price range (50-70). Food was as advertised. Pasta and risotto were magnificent, nice antipasti and apps with "real" buffalo mozzarella that was heavenly. Veal/chicken/fish entrees were good, but to be honest did not knock me out. One of us probably should have tried a steak entre as this is where the depth is on the menu. Still an excellent evening thanks to one of the most charming, knowledgeable and efficient servers ever. She noticed my martini was made wrong before she even put it down. I have certainly had the wrong drink delivered from time to time but never had it pointed out by a server before I tasted it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; solid serviceLeslieKayVIPDined on 8/8/2014A friend suggested this place. We went early on a Friday evening. The service was good and the decor of the place quite fun. The non alcoholic drink special was a fruity mix overtop of ginger ale. It was wonderful. I had a veggie pasta dish that was very good. I will return with my spouse to try the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Italian restaurant!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014I never write reviews, but I thought this restaurant was so great -- ambiance, food, wine selection -- that I had to write about it. I will go again.Special Features:
- Just Ok for megourmetamyDined on 8/1/2014Not Italy..pasta was out of the box. Carpaccio was good. Service was nice.
- Acqua Al 2 - Consistently GoodAndyDined on 7/31/2014We brought out of town guests for dinner and they thought the restaurant was wonderful and we all enjoyed our meal. The staff is efficient and warm without a bit pretense. It was a beautiful night and so dined on the patio which was very pleasant. We continue to return to Acqua Al 2 for fine good and a great dining experience.Special Features:
- sseatsVIPDined on 7/31/2014A disappointment this time, tho I have enjoyed the place in the past. Everything was mediocre and the wine list is very pricey.
- Exquisite foodtrynewthingsDined on 7/30/2014We had an excellent experience with the ambiance, service and food. While expensive, one must try the restaurant's signature steak, the porterhouse. It was the best prepared steak that we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great locationRAfrancaisDined on 7/27/2014I have had several dinners with groups (6-8). Each time the food is excellent and service good. This time we had appitizers -- the special was particularly good, a pasta course with two plates shared. The butternut squash bow tie pasta was excellent. Then individual entrees. All were excellent. The veal chop was one of the best. We had desserts to share and walked out happy and full (did I mention a couple bottles of nice wine--good list). Go, eat, enjoy
- Enjoyable Evening outTravelFoodie7VIPDined on 7/26/2014We visited DC over the weekend and had a chance to dine at Acqua Al 2. I had eaten here on a previous trip to DC (and also at their location in Firenze). The food was delicious. I always enjoy a restaurant with homemade pasta. The pasta was dressed just right. If you can, try the sampler of 3 salads. It was a perfect opportunity to try several at once, especially since I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted to try. The restaurant is located in a cute area of DC. Definitely would go back to Acqua Al 2 next time I am in DC.Special Features:
- Table of 4 for a party of 5OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014I made reservations for 6 people several weeks in advance and had to modify the reservation to 5 that day. We were seated at a table for 4 with the 5th person being squeezed on the end. It was crowded to say the least. The food was good but frankly the table size took away from the experience. Also when I made the reservation I indicated we would be celebrating a birthday and expected some sort of acknowledgement of the occasion as many restaurant do but nothing was mentioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnergottadineDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I were not aware of Acqua al 2 & decided to try it for our anniversary. We are very fond of Italian red wines and were not disappointed. The food as in other reviews was excellent from the antipasti to the known filet in a blueberry reduction. The food was fresh and beautifully presented. The ambience was lovely as we were greeted warmly from door to table to back out the door when we left. Every person wished us a happy anniversary. We started with tasty cocktails and ended with the dessert sampler- best Tiramisu we have had. My only complaint would be the noise level & the pace inside was quite brisk but that is the result of other diners who obviously know this is a restaurant to return to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PegKenDined on 7/25/2014Fantastic restaurant and food was superb. Rude extremely noisy table of drunks spoiled atmosphere for all that were there. Waiter moved us to new room and table and was very accommodating of the problem. Outside eating is excellent and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- A Second Memorable MealRondaDined on 7/25/2014We invited three friends to join us for an early dinner before attending Parade at Marine Corps Barracks at 8th & I. Our second visit; their first. Everyone ordered a different dish which we shared. Front staff and wait staff were welcoming, gracious, and helpful. We were seated in a small alcove with a sidewalk window view. Great for conversation and for watching for "notables" -- that night at least one former cabinet secretary! All in all a great time that too soon ended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerEarlyValentineDined on 7/24/2014We ate our way through the tasting menu and it was fantastic! I wouldn't have changed a thing - the service was incredible, our food was delicious, the wine was an excellent pairing, and the ambiance was lively. Perfect for a dinner out on the town enjoying one of our favorite neighborhoods.Special Features:
- HungryDojoVIPDined on 7/24/2014Portions were very small for a hearty eater. Prices were not as lite as the dishes. Staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- GRAZIE!WashingtonianFoodieVIPDined on 7/21/2014FIANLLY, an Italian restaurant in D.C. that I can recommend! Had the burata with grilled peaches and tuna capriccio to start followed by the pasta special. DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Ladies Who LunchRestaurantWeekRWVIPDined on 7/16/2014Such a great restaurant for a quiet, non standard Italian, yummy lunch. Thoroughly enjoyed the lunch special, sharing 6 items between two of us. Waitress could not have been nicer which really puts Acua al 2 over the top. Steak with blueberry sauce gets me every time, not to mention an outstanding tiramisu.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentJohnDined on 7/10/2014Acqua Al 2's daily specials are always a great selection, this still remains the best restaurant in the Eastern Market / Barracks Row area, with superb service, innovative menu items and great food!Special Features:
- Great for Out of Town GuestsBertVIPDined on 7/8/2014Whenever I have hosted an out-of-town group at Acqua Al 2, my guests have been genuinely impressed with their entrees, the quality of service, and the lineup of Congressional leadership they are likely to encounter. The range of salads and the delicate and flavorful desserts are some of the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2014We reserved for a birthday dinner and were overall pleased with the food and service. Portions are somewhat small but the pastas were quite good. The appetizer salads were also good but the desserts were just OK (I would skip it next time). Overall we liked the restaurant but it's not in the gem category with places like Al Tiramisu (Dupont) where the food, service, and ambiance really excels.Special Features:
- NOMAPioneerDined on 7/3/2014I have passed this restaurant many times, but never knew what a gem it was on the inside. Great decor and ambiance. Excellent service. Excellent food. Went there to celebrate our 21st anniversary and had a wonderful dinner. Canneloni with mushrooms delicious. Juice and Ginger Beer combo was great. Will definitely return again soon and now want to plan trip to Florence to visit the other restaurant!Special Features:
- Outstanding anniversary dinnerKrikspicksVIPDined on 6/29/2014I've eaten at Acqua Al 2 previously. The food is outstanding. The service is friendly and attentive. The décor is rustic Italian, not white table cloth formal but warm and comfortable. My most recent dinner was with my wife on a special anniversary. I did notify the restaurant when I made the reservation. So I'm not surprised we had especially great service. But really, it was over-the-top amazing. I don't get to Washington DC so much anymore, now that I've retired. But any time in the future when I do travel to DC, Acqua Al 2 will be on top of my list for a return visit. Grazie!Special Features:
- perfect but for noiseILoveBaroloVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great food not fancy but charming ambiance... They need to manage noise better it is too loud to relax.Special Features:
- Tasting MenuFoodie78Dined on 6/28/2014My third (or maybe fourth) trip to Acqua Al 2, first in a couple years. It was on my short list of things to do given the next opportunity I was local, and it did not disappoint! Has to be one of the most satisfying tasting menus available in the area. Split between 2, it's the exactly right amount of incredible food to enjoy for an evening. The balsamic glaze on one of the three preparations of the beef tenderloin had me reaching for bread to make sure I got it all off the plate. I've yet to have anything less than stupendous, including the service. Top notch staff from the front to the kitchen, both helpful, attentive and informative. Not sure how, but it makes the food taste even better. Don't miss this treat in Eastern Market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious DinnerdiscerningpalateVIPDined on 6/28/2014Dear My family and I recently returned to Acqua Al 2 for dinner. I want to compliment the Acqua Al 2 staff for making our evening special. As usual, the service was excellent and attentive. I rarely order steak, but this time I tried the filet mignon specialty with the blueberry reduction sauce and it was scrumptious. My wife ordered the branzino and was equally pleased. We shared the tiramisu for dessert and it was worth the calories! The dinner was a truly memorable experience. We look forward to many future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficulty Hearing Our WaitressKimDVIPDined on 6/27/2014Our cocktails, wine and dinner were superb, as always. Our waitress made recommendations as to the sizes of the cheese plate and desert plate, that were exactly correct. We did, however, have extreme difficulty hearing our waitress, and even more difficulty getting her attention. We waiting and waiting for our cocktails, and to order another bottle of water or wine -- then their arrival was poorly timed with our meal (finished with our pasta dishes completely before the wine arrived) (finished with desert before the desert wine arrived). It made for a great deal of frustration.Special Features:
- Watch out for that back roomFionabertVIPDined on 6/25/2014The back room was overflowing from a political fundraiser. It was noisy and it's attendees bumped into us a lot. If it looks like a private function in that room, ask to be moved. We should have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1525 reviews are from the Acqua Al 2 reviews archive.
- Great StuffmeeeeeDined on 6/22/2014Girlfriend's favorite restaurant, one of the best in Eastern Market.Special Features:
- We Love Aqua al 2YolandaVIPDined on 6/21/2014We never miss this restaurant when we are in DC. The food is amazing. We always order the pasta sampler and at least one of their specialty steaks. The hardest decision is whether to get the blueberry or the balsamic filet. Both are delicious! You won't be sorry!Special Features:
- Always a pleasureAbbyrDined on 6/20/2014Have been here twice in DC and twice in Florence and they have the exact same Italian feel- great food and super friendly staff who are genuine and mostly Italian! The sampler plates are great or get a few and share family style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJules202Dined on 6/20/2014Pasta tastings are delicious, each better than the last. Porterhouse special is unbelievably amazing, a must try. This is one of the best restaurants in dc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/20/2014Acqua Al 2 was everything I hoped for and more. I personally had the Toscano antipasto board, Gorgonzola gnocchi and Blueberry filet. All of this was amazing and would send me back ASAP for it's food whenever I am missing Italy. Love it.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceTraceyYDined on 6/20/2014This restaurant is fantastic! Excellent food, wine and atmosphere. We sat outside and had a very enjoyable time.Special Features:
- We love Acqua Al 2OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014Reminds of us or time in Italy. The service is always wonderful. We brought the kids for the first time and they raved about the food. Your staff is fabulous. Thank you for keeping the charm in local eateries. We will continue to come into the city from Maryland just for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentrgvnyDined on 6/18/2014A little off the beaten path, but well worth the cab ride. Top food and service and a very interesting and original menu.Special Features:
- PepperBoyDined on 6/15/2014You can always trust a restaurant that makes a good bowl of soup. We had cream of broccoli that exonerated 50 years of disappointment. This is not fancy food. It is fresh, high quality ingredients prepared thoughtfully, with reverence and tradition. It is what it should be, what you have always hoped for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and Tastyfoodie41Dined on 6/14/2014We were there on a busy Saturday evening, but the staff was attentive, friendly and accommodating to our special request for an outdoor table. We shared the Penne Vodka and loved it. Our steaks with were cooked to perfection and the sauces we picked delicious.Special Features:
- Consistent quality and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/14/2014We've had several opportunities to dine at Acqua al 2 and have never been disappointed. This was our second time on the patio. The weather was perfect and added to the effect. The combination of salads, delicate pastas and perfectly finished steak as well as a fabulous 2006 Barolo made for a truly memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Aqua al 2 is amazing! Delicious food, great service, wonderful ambiance. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.