1658 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
Modern EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.zunicafe.com/
- Phone: 4155522522
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:45pm, Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm Sunday Lunch: 2:30pm - 4:45pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European
- Executive Chef: Judy Rodgers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Piano
A word from Zuni Cafe
This James Beard Award winning restaurant with a clientele as diverse as San Francisco opened in 1979. A vibrant Parisian-style standing-only copper bar greets you as you enter on Rose Alley. Zuni's menu changes daily with dishes inspired by traditional Italian and French recipes. Nearly all of the produce, meat, and fish served at Zuni is farmed and harvested in a sustainable manner. Even without a reservation, bar tables are available on a first come, first served basis and the full menu is available. The bar also serves traditional cocktails made with top-shelf ingredients; refreshments at its best in an environment of effortless hospitality. Whether you dine early or prefer to dine after theater, Zuni is a welcoming haven. -Judy Rodgers, chef/co-owner -Gilbert Pilgram, co-ownerContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Zuni Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
424 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (302)special occasion (187)neighborhood gem (185)great for lunch (137)romantic (113)hot spot (100)notable wine list (95)vibrant bar scene (91)great for brunch (87)good for groups (50)late-night find (48)great for outdoor dining (15)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (12)Show More
- Best hamburger ever!bobonbryceDined on 8/16/2014Had lunch here recently. Nice wine, great food and service. I had a hamburger and I think it was the best tasting one EVER for me. Bleu cheese, grilled onions, focaccia bread (not too thick like it often is elsewhere)...delicious! She had a spicy paprika pork sausage dish (llano seco ranch)...loved it.Special Features:
- Still Great After 20+ YearsChrisNZDined on 8/16/2014I took friends from the Carmel area there before a play at the Orpheum. Many were foodies, and no one had a bad meal. The overall experience was fabulous, and everyone's food was perfect. I just love this place! Waiter was just right, not overly attentive but there when we needed him. He showed great finesse with judgement calls, and made very appropriate recommendations when asked/or just offered to help with decisions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Zuni Cafe dinner - againGoodEatingDined on 8/15/2014I have been to Zuni several times in the past. Arranged a Friday evening dinner with Europe based work colleagues. Great selection of Appetizer and Entree choices. Two had panne cotta for desert and said it was the best they've ever had.Special Features:
- Been many times this was lastPdxfoodDined on 8/15/2014Food was terrible, pork came out COLD, menu horribly complex for no good reason, waiter rather rude. I have been a loyal patron since the 1980's but it's time for Zuni to go.
- Consistent quality deliverytough2pleaseDined on 8/13/2014My thirty and some visits have all been great experiences. Food, wine and service have always met my expectations. Bravo !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diners8995dinersb8995Dined on 8/12/2014Dinner at Zuni was more than we expected, terrific. This restaurant was recommended by several foodies so our expectations were high and Zuni actually exceeded. We had made reservations thru open table and were promptly seated. The service was nice and attentive without being intrusive. The food however was outstanding my only regret is that I didn't try the chicken. It wasn't till later I learned that the chicken is a must so I will do that when I am back in SF. I would highly recommend Zuni Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Do Chicken - Really!Topher77Dined on 8/12/2014Everyone said to get the Chicken. Everyone was right. Best chicken...no, wait...best entree outside of Paris. No kidding. A bit noisy but worth it for the food.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentkmirajDined on 8/12/2014I love going to Zuni; there's nothing not to love about the experience!Special Features:
- Food is great, the rest is blehFoodIsGreatDined on 8/12/2014Hostess, service somewhat rude. Seating super uncomfortable. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic California Cuisine and VibekayteedeeDined on 8/9/2014If you are looking for a traditional San Francisco foodie experience, Zuni is it. Whether it's a casual walk-in late lunch downstairs at one of the fabulous window seats or dinner with family, friends or clients in the upper tiers of the "pueblo" inspired dining room, Zuni will meet your expectations and beyond. Oysters, Bloody Marys, the hamburger and tower of fries -- all excellent choices for brunch or lunch. A pepper-infused Stoli martini, chicken for two (feeds three), the Caesar salad and bottle of California or French wine is my go-to late lunch or dinner. The rest of the menu changes seasonally and is always creative and inspired. Great vibe at the stand up bar. San Francisco is Zuni. Zuni is San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco GemccseattleDined on 8/8/2014Wouldn't go to San Francisco without dining at Zuni. Food, service and ambience is consistent and great. The chicken is amazing and worth a visit as well as the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chicken!Queencitymomof2Dined on 8/8/2014Zuni was a great experience. We arrived and 7 with a reservation and got seated immediately. We had a few appetizers while we waited for the chicken. Amazing. Best chicken dish I've ever had! Very nice service too... Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvSFlifeDined on 8/8/2014The dining experience at Zuni was fantastic. The food is organic and fresh. The menu always has interesting food choices and a good wine list at reasonable prices. We sat upstairs in the loft area, which was quiet and full of good ambience. the wait staff was excellent. Our needs were met at every level. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great for special nightsWineNDineDined on 8/6/2014I always have a good time at Zuni. From drinks all the way through to desserts, the experience never disappoints. We also had a really nice waiter and host that evening. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything We ExpectedJohnFDined on 8/5/2014We had heard great things about Zuni and wanted to see for ourselves. Although the location is a little outside of the nicer areas, the food was worth it. We shared the chicken for 2 and were amazed at how chicken can taste so good. Salads were awesome as well as desserts. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid Market stand byDoug54Dined on 8/5/2014In a neighborhood where Twitter and Uber are displacing SRO hotels and pan handlers, the Zuni Cafe was a pioneer. Three of us ate there for lunch. Both the yellowtail tuna salad and polenta with marscapone were tasty enough, but neither were spectacular. My companions enjoyed both cocktails and dessert, but I indulged in neither. The dessert was a tower of creme and wafer thin meringue that received an enthusiastic thumbs up. If you find yourself near the civic center, Zuni's a good choice for a meal--but I don't know that it's remarkable enough to make a destination in and of itself.Special Features:
- One of San Fransico's bestFrankDined on 8/3/2014There are hundreds and hundreds of restaurants in San Francisco and we've been to many over the years. But we always go back to the Zuni Café and will continue to do so in the future.Special Features:
- ALWAYS GREAT - NEVER DISAPPOINTEDfrequentdinerouterVIPDined on 8/3/2014THE "BEST" MENU, FOOD QUALITY AND PREPARATION, AMBIENCE, FRIENDLY AND KNOWLEDGEABLE WAIT-SERVICE, REASONABLE PRICING AND ALWAYS A GREAT DINING EXPERIENCE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodMarydineDined on 8/2/2014The arugal salad I had with golden raisins made with Bolzano olive oil was the best. We split the oregano pizza and my husband had soup. All perfect for lunch!Special Features:
- Left HungrySFVistorDined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious, but served in small portions. I am not a fan of large plates of food, but when I left hungry that says something about the serving size...
- psych1Dined on 8/1/2014With restaurants that change dishes frequently, not eveything will be a winner, and though the salad courses were good, the main dishes on a recent Frday for our party of 4 ranged from tepid to poorly thought out and executed (underdone buckwheat noodles with rabbit and shellfish).Special Features:
- Zuni Cafe is still wonderful!MargaretDined on 8/1/2014I returned to Zuni Cafe for lunch last week with some foodie friends from Switzerland and my husband. I hadn't been there in over 20 years. The menu had some eclectic options as well as a few pizzas and a burger option. Everything we ordered was really terrific - I had an interesting and delicious pasta entree with delicate wild mushrooms and wild nettles finely minced. The service at the cafe was impeccable. I'd booked a table but had entered the date for the day after we arrived for our lunch, in error. The host quickly changed my reservation and found a table for us. I would highly recommended the Zuni Cafe to all kinds of restaurant-goers.Special Features:
- obnoxious partyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014Greeted and seated quickly our server was quick to take our orders. We both had a glass of the Grüner Veltliner (so glad to see this showing up on menus) split a salad, and pasta. Our food took over an half an hour to arrive....but it was yummy!! Shortly after the salad course the large extremely obnoxious party arrived. These folks were literally screaming at each other. We finished quickly and paid. Waiting for the girls room, I went and mentioned to the hostess that the party was far too loud...and what she said next floored me...*it's a wedding party* YES, and that excuses this deplorable behavior?? Seriously, this is not a Sport Bar!!! I should have spoken to the manager, but I was so disgusted, I left.Special Features:
- Excellent food but too noisyGreatfindVIPDined on 7/31/2014We loved our Caesar salad and their signature chicken dish, as always, but the noise level upstairs made it difficult to talk with our friends - 4 of us - without shouting. So, a mixed experience this time.Special Features:
- Date Night FailOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/31/2014I was really excited to finally get a chance to try Zuni Cafe as my husband and I pass by it frequently on our bikes. I made the reservation over 3 weeks in advance as we have an infant and had to hire a sitter for the night. I had heard nothing but rave reviews. The wine was amazing, the salads were delicious, but something happened to the main course. He ordered the steak and I ordered the salmon and they just fell short - especially for the price at $30 each. We were just bewildered - both were so lackluster after such delicious salads. The staff was completely accommodating and took our salads off the bill, but we left hungry. #datenightfailSpecial Features:
- Way Overrated.L2S2EBFDined on 7/31/2014I'm not one to salt my food after the Chef creates something. The dish should come out as it was intended to be experienced, is my humble opinion. The dish I ordered was beautiful, but had no flavor at all. I ordered what turned out to be a small, half, open-faced sandwich, with a pureed bean spread with two paper thin slices of lamb. The only thing I could taste was the salt, oil and lemon on the small pile of julienned kale that sat on top. Beside that, the dish had no flavor. I would have been better off with a boiled chicken breast and that was at the bargain price of $17. Very disappointing.
- FAVORITE SAN FRANCISCAN RESTAURANTZUNILOVERDined on 7/30/2014I absolutely LOVE this place! it's beautiful, classy and fun! i have been living in san francisco 4 years and so far it is still my #1 place, the food is amazing, the chicken is delicious and I will recommend this place to everyone who travels to san francisco! love the piano playing and the overall energy, thanks for existingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwoonDizzoPDined on 7/27/2014I always love this spot and it never let's me down. The chicken for 2 is spot on! My favorite restaurant in SFSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO Good!TermyrDined on 7/27/2014I've eaten at Zuni's three other times and each time has been fabulous. They are able to maintain the great calibre of food and impeccable service that keeps people coming back. They have enough variations in seasonal changes in their menu to keep it interesting and are astute enough not to tamper with some of the tried and true favorites that have made them an icon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeninsulafoodiePeninsulaFoodieDined on 7/27/2014I had heard so many good things for do many years about Zuni Cafe. We were treating friends from Miami who had never been to CA before. We all commented that "nouvelle cuisine" went out with the '80's; the dishes were truly microscopic, but outrageously expensive for the small amount. My friends were still hungry after 3 mini scallops each, do we ordered frisée salads - which looked like a 4" tumble weed. Won't be back for the food, just the ambiance.Special Features:
- More than just great chickenWallStreetLawyerVIPDined on 7/27/2014I really liked the food here, well prepared, varied menu (and we did not order the renowned chicken given the expected wait time). What we didn't love was the ridiculously long time it took to get each course (even after telling the waiter that we needed to be out in less than 90 minutes and we're talking relatively early on a Sunday evening. The downstairs window seats offer a lovely view, but the adjacent bar does make it a more noisy area, and you're packed in so neighboring tables can't help but hear the conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caesar Salad was ExcellentbiddieDined on 7/27/2014My group went to try their Caesar Salad that was written up as the best in the nation. Everything was fantastic and the Caesar Salad lived up to the hoopla. All the food was fantastic, I wish I could have tried everything. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zuni is the best!SFJonesyDined on 7/27/2014I brought another friend here for his birthday on Sunday for lunch and we both fully enjoyed the whole experience. Our waitress was very attentive but not intrusive. The oysters (his first time) were fresh and tasted of the sea, just as they should. The Caesar salad is one of the best in town. My friend found the shoestring fries exactly to his liking and the chicken with Tuscan bread salad is one of the best dishes in the Bay Area. Another superlative dining experience! Thank you, Zuni! We miss Judy Rodgers so much! Thanks for keeping her legacy going and perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect healthy foodfoodloverVIPDined on 7/26/2014I hadn't been here for ten years. It was perfect. Delicious food. I had their classic Caesar salad and the hamburger with tomatoes, cheese and grilled onions. The hamburger was a bit small, but the best taste I may ever have had. Very skimpy on the cheese, but still yummy. A grown man would need two at least. Had a bloody mary, well made. We ate outdoors to accommodate our dog; very peaceful at 11:30 am. Only quibble: I was told that they didn't reserve outdoor tables and they do, but I got there at 11 and snagged one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something has changedNicknameDined on 7/25/2014We always enjoy Zuni. It must have been an off night this time. We made a reservation request that was overlooked and the service was not as attentive as we are used to. Our server forgot a few details that we asked for at the table which ended up being a buzz kill to the overall experience. Our halibut and steak were delicious. The cucumber soup was very good although I would have simplified it a bit.
- Brunch at ZuniOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2014I've eaten at Zuni for dinner several times but this was my first time for brunch. The space was beautiful, light, and airy during the day. Our service was great and the food timeless as always. We enjoyed an assortment of oysters to start, followed by the scrambled eggs, which had an incredibly delightful texture (creamy and pillowy?). We got the burger and a caesar salad to split as well, and ended with affogato. Everything was great. A perfectly executed brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- late night spotzorroVIPDined on 7/19/2014definitely a restaurant I'll visit again after concerts /events in Hayes Valley area.Special Features:
- An SF TraditionsydscloudDined on 7/19/2014I bring all my out-of-town guests here. The chicken is amazing, wine selection is good, and their Zune Summer Punch is excellent. It's also in a good neighborhood to hang out before/after dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentEscambauDined on 7/19/2014Unwilling to wait an hour for the celebrated roast chicken, we had an excellent Caesar's Salad, hamburger, and paprika sausage. Only the highly-praised polenta didn't quite do it for us. Wine list os excellent. Service was brisk and efficient, but on the cold side. The interior layout was interesting and varied, but not every table is equally appealing. We were given one in what appeared to be quite a good section, but one of us had to stare at a red brick wall. Interior design was clean and appealing, compromised by poorly chosen paintings. A mixed experience, but tending towards the positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 Restaurant in SFFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Absolutely love this restaurant and their extremely cool vibe, local menu and funky wine list. Everyone orders the roasted chicken and you should too. Burgers are also best in class along with a huge plate of fries. Service is relaxed and easy, but perfect in every way. Great desserts, unique oyster menu. My go to spot when in town !Special Features: