Blowfish Sushi - San Jose
355 Santana Row
San Jose, CA 95128Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
Blowfish Sushi - San Jose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.blowfishsushi.com/
- Phone: 4083453848x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Ritsuo Tsuchida
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Whether you’re planning an office lunch, wedding, or an intimate
party in your home, Blowfish Sushi Catering can provide an array of
fresh, sophisticated Japanese Sushi and Fusion dishes sure to please
your guests. Your order will come beautifully arranged and will
include napkins, chopsticks, serving utensils, and condiments like
wasabi, ponzu, and soy sauce, where necessary.
- Private Party Facilities: Blowfish Sushi can accommodate large groups in our lounge area of up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Mariell Rahmani 4157998424x
- Entertainment: Live DJ's play soulful music every Thursday, Friday and Saturday, as well as some Wednesdays.
- Special Events: We can always bring the Sushi to your party, but why not bring your
party to the Sushi? Our restaurant, located on trendy Santana Row
in San Jose, can seat up to 150 guests and features a full bar serving
20+ varieties of sake. Take advantage of a full buyout so you and
your guests can have front row seats as our sushi chefs showcase
their knife skills to produce stunning edible creations.
A word from Blowfish Sushi - San Jose
Blowfish Sushi is an eclectic sushi bar and restaurant that serves both modern and traditional sushi, sashimi, as well as salads. cooked appetizers, and special desserts. The menu style is called Asian Fusion and emphasizes clean, pure, healthy foods. Premium imported sakes and an original line of sake cocktails are featured in the restaurant's stunning liquor lounge. "Walk into Blowfish and step into your senses; 'it' decor houses a modern menu, reinterprets sushi and presents a new palette for the genre" -ctguide.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Blowfish Sushi - San Jose - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Blowfish Sushi - San Jose reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (19)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (15)hot spot (15)great for lunch (11)romantic (9)late-night find (9)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Second time aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/19/2014I went to my first Blowfish in SF in the Mission District and had an awesome time! The music was loud but we could easily carry on a conversation, and the Japanese anima on the tv's was so cool! And the sushi was fantastic - The second time I visited was in San Jose, and even though the ambience was different, the sushi did not disappoint! Excellent, consistent, and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Blowfish!gratefuldrakeDined on 2/15/2014Blowfish never fails to satisfy. I know I can count on Blowfish to deliver a great meal. I took my friends from England there, as they were wanting sushi. The fish was so fresh it really melted in our mouths. Yellowtail, Eel, Toshi Koshi and Dragon Rolls were fantastic as always. the flavors blend perfectly. We left very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out on the townKanpaiDined on 2/15/2014Think ... night club pumping techno through the speakers + out of this world delicious food and you have Blowfish Sushi to Die For. Our table enjoyed the oysters. The oysters were fresh and when dipped in the ponzu sauce it created the perfect bite. The sushi combo was quite exquisite. The delicately sliced fish was positioned on a straw matt over a bed of crushed ice (and dry ice) that provided a "fog" mist over the table. The presentation was exciting. The sushi was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, on this visit the service was a little slow. The meal definitely made up for the short comings of the service. As return customers, we would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a bar with DJConkienDined on 2/14/2014Food is good. Environment is ok. Since it runs like a bar, doesn't fit for romantic environment.Special Features:
- Best sushi i know ofOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I love this place! Been here twice and as soon i leave the door,i cant wait for next time! LOVE the garlic edamame,something to die for if ur garlic lover like me but also something that u wont find elsewhere.they also have regular edamame.sushi is outstanding.I like the lively vibrant hip athmosphere,unlike many places. Cannot wait until my next visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unequal level of serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014People next to us where pampered we wet ignored and they dumped all the dishes on us at once to the point we couldn't even eat on the tiny table then the waitress rolled her eyes and argued with me when I asked her to take some dishes back.
- Overpriced and InattentiveanonDined on 2/14/2014I made reservations 2 weeks in advance for this dinner. We sat down and ordered a beer and a lemonade, which took almost 15-20 minutes to arrive at our table. We ordered our food and then waited 45 minutes before it started arriving at the table. First to reach us was the "To Die For", which consisted of only 5 piece of sushi. The steak and mushrooms on top were cold and left an unsavory taste. We then received our appetizers after, which was 4 piece of shrimp. Was amazed at this point by the lack of portions for how much the dishes cost. It took another 20 minutes and checking on the food and, surprise, another tiny plate. The waitress was inattentive, which was extremely frustrating. All in all, won't be back.Special Features:
- horrible experiencefoodlover831Dined on 2/14/2014The worst sushi ever ....and waited hours for our food. I want to say at least two and a half hours .Special Features:
- The music was great but itpastageekDined on 2/13/2014The music was great but it was way too loud. We had to hunt our waitress down a few times.Special Features:
- Convenient and quick lunch spotjoanneDined on 2/12/2014Not busy ar noon so made a delicious place for a ladies lunch and get back to work. Fresh and tasty. Prompt service and refills of ice tea without having to ask.Special Features:
- Obnoxiously loudStasVIPDined on 2/11/2014The sushi is good, but the restaurant is horribly, obnoxiously loud! We are not talking about a DJ. It's just a CD! Everybody is trying to yell over the music, so you can't really hear the actual music -- I am not even sure what music they are playing. It's just a roaring level of noise. They insist on pumping it so loud, as to make it impossible to talk to the person sitting next to you.
- really to die for!mattmDined on 2/11/2014The quality of the fish is superior. Preparation/presentation is spectacular. Looking forward to next visit to San Jose and dinner at Blowfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food + Great serviceStepWalkDined on 2/8/2014it is always a treat when we go to Blowfish. The staff is so courteous, the food is always scrumptious, and the Pomegranite Sake Mojito is the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch en route to the Tech MuseumIanMDined on 2/8/2014Great place to stop for some good food prior to the museum with the kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What used to be good...is now goneMattDVIPDined on 2/7/2014In the old days Blowfish was known for fresh food, great presentation, good management, and a sushi bar staff that cater to a customer's requests. We know -- I've come here for over 8 years. What a disappointment. The nice brand new menus are good, some of the favorites are gone -- and most shocking -- asking to make anything "off menu" or from the "old menu" -- even if they have the ingredients, is met with a "the chef doesn't like doing anything except what's on the menu." Newsflash: you are a restaurant. If I wanted only what I saw, I'd go buy something from Whole Foods and save a bundle. The bar has also slide progressively downhill. One of the old bartenders is still there on the weekends, but it's snot the same.
- Something has changed at BlowfishgseeversDined on 2/5/2014We have been going to Blowfish for many years and something has changed. The menu got smaller, the quality of the sushi diminished, the service was poor compared to prior visits…something has changed. It is disappointing as it was a favorite, fun, sushi spot for our family. We will likely not be going back unless something changes to the positive.Special Features:
- Drinks and dinnerjlc58Dined on 1/22/2014Met two life long friends for drinks before and dinner. We had a couple of Sapporo's and enjoyed the complementary edamame. Then we moved to our table and had some very good sushi. They offered a nice menu of creative choices and it was all great. WE stuck with beer so I didn't even look at the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timedocvicDined on 12/27/2013for mother-son time, was great - he loves anime, and the food was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/12/2013Blowfish was recommended by a local co-worker as we were looking for Sushi. This was a great decision. The service was excellent and the server was very knowledgeable on all menu items. She made excellent beverage and food recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service & quality of fishRayDowVIPDined on 11/19/2013really enjoyed their sashimi combo - with a side of the toro grade tuna which was excellent quality and beautifully presented. Only thing I can complain about is the parking on Santana Row which is not the restaurants fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hmmm, presentation good, service noBCS13Dined on 10/10/2013Party of 4, 7pm dinner service slow and waiter didn't understand half the drink orders and got them wrong twice. OK if you're looking for average meal, but wouldn't go there for a once a year special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date Night!RachaellaDined on 9/13/2013Absaloutley love this place! Great food and drinks set in a young and vibrant atmosphere! Music was awesome!Special Features:
- The yelp reviews are accurateWvorticesDined on 9/1/2013The sushi is not to die for. It is ok and the service was good. The way to escape the noise level is to request the back area that is quieter. This is the only way to take a date here.
- Very loud music during early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2013I chose this place to meet with co workers to have a conversation, relax and have great food. Food was great but the rest was ruined by a very loud music. We requested for music to be turned down but it never happened. It was only 6 pm not 10 or 11 when people had few cocktails and are in a party mode. I wish this restaurant all the luck in business but I will never be back.
- Gone downhillMistyVIPDined on 8/25/2013We used to be regulars at Blowfish and loved their food, but they have really gone downhill and cheapened themselves. The pork was not so "crispy", just extremely fatty and greasy. The rolls were smaller than they used to be. The sashimi was a total rip off! A 5 piece serving used to be 5 nice thick pieces of fresh raw fish - now it looks like they take a single piece and cut it 5 ways to call it "5 piece". This place was always pricey, which we didn't mind when there was some quality, but now they are cutting corners so much that it's insulting. No wonder the restaurant was so empty now.Special Features:
- Really good sushiluv2dineVIPDined on 8/12/2013We were there for lunch and it was great. We ordered the tempura appetizer which had a variety of vegetables along with two shrimp. There was plenty. We also ordered two of their special rolls and both were delicious. If you want a non-alcoholic drink, try their coolers…the cucumber lime was amazing and the strawberry lemon was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique appetizersJerryVIPDined on 8/5/2013I highly recommend the Ritsu roll and the pyramid tartar. The sushi rolls aren't bad either, but the appetizers are much more unique.Special Features:
- Excellent Menu, but.....OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/2/2013This our second time dining her. As in the past, the menu items are fantastic! As are the drink choices (especially the sakes). However, the volume of the techno rock played throughout dinner was beyond ridiculous. The volume of the music makes one want to gobble down their food and leave the restaurant immediately. The food is excellent! If you plan on speaking to a member of your dining party at all, choose a different restaurant. Conversation comprehension is impossible at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food - noise level too highvb307Dined on 7/24/2013The constant barrage of techno-pop really took away from the dining experience. It was impossible to have a conversation. Too bad, because the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed!eheheyDined on 7/23/2013Painfully slow service, 20-30 min wait for every single sushi roll! The food itself is very low quality for the price. What passes for "decor and ambience" here are two tiny TVs playing anime with no sound and loud electronic music. Not coming again and not recommended to anyone.
- Blow Fish Sushi changed a lotblueskyVIPDined on 7/20/2013The food at BFS is not what it used to be. The menu has been meticulously edited taking out a couple of things we liked. I am specifically disappointing by the shrinking nigiri portions which must be the smallest I ever saw. The oyster shots are no longer sold by the plate, cost 25% more and go by the shot. We found offending to limit paying patrons to a two hour dinner. In Europe this is unheard, in US restaurants politely work out such issues on a case by case basis but to be told so in the reservation is just too much. Thank you Blow Fish. We do not support your greed. There are many better sushi places than BFS.
- Perfect way to celebrateplace2eatDined on 7/6/2013Thanks guys for having us and the special touch at the end of dinner was just outstanding thanks once again for hosting us for our anniversary we love blowfishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deteriorated over the yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/16/2013It used to be the place to be on Santana Row but the service and ambiente have deteriorated over the years. The food is still one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great Service BadOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/6/2013The food here is really good. the scene and vibe are awesome. One of my favorite places to go when i visit San Jose. Unfortunately our waitress must have not been having a good night. Not friendly, appetizers came after the entrees, not friendly at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My last time goingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2013This is my third and final time going to this place. The service is so notable poor it overshadows any positive aspect that comes to mind. I sat for over 10 mins waiting on a server to ask us for a drink, then, when it did arrive she'd disappear again only to return when we actively sought her out. I never felt like I was out to dinner because I knew I'd have to be an active participant in my dining experience which runs counter to why people go out to eat in the first place! And when speaking to my co-workers (I'm somewhat new to the area) it's just generally thought of as the worst service on Santana Row. Not a good image to have. The managers there really need to step up. It just feels like poorly run restaurant.Special Features:
- Love the ambienceFutroniDined on 5/24/2013My son loves anime so this was a great place to celebrate his college graduation. Use of Open Table made life very easy. The food was delicious and the wait staff extremely attentive.Special Features:
- falling offgoodstuffDined on 5/19/2013i had been to blowfish a few times in the past and really enjoyed the food....this time around, it was pretty bland and uninspired. the place was empty on a sunday evening at dinner as well. seems to be slipping.
- Night out with Wifejp11Dined on 5/14/2013My wife and I love Blowfish. Great cocktails along with great sushi selection.Special Features:
- Mothers Day MayhemOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/12/2013Ridiculously poor service. Waitress forgot our orders, delivered the wrong items and left me hungry. Wouldn't consider for a large group.Special Features:
- OutstandingmjwillDined on 5/9/2013It was my first time to Blow Fish, and the sushi is very fresh, the edamame was excellent and the tuna tar tar was the best I've ever had! Would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.