5001 34th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55417Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alventorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127243009x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jon Hunt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 12 or more will be seated in a semi-private dining area. A set price per person will be agreed upon, depending on guest needs. Meal will be coursed.
- Special Events: To make a reservation for a party of 5 or more, please contact the restaurant directly at 612-724-3009.
A word from Al Vento
Al Vento is a romantic Southern Italian bistro with fine dining at affordable prices. The relaxed decor and elegance by candle light provide the perfect setting for friendly banter, family outings, or simply staring into the eyes of your lover with a fine Italian wine in hand. With notably some of the most knowledgeable and friendly staff in the Twin Cities, Al Vento is the perfect dining experience for you this evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Vento - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Al Vento reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (153)fit for foodies (101)great for outdoor dining (97)romantic (87)special occasion (84)notable wine list (47)great for brunch (37)good for groups (30)hot spot (13)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great yet again, one small errormskatiemaeDined on 6/21/2014I took my son to Al Vento to celebrate his birthday on a Saturday evening. We had a nice meal with appetizers and wine. The entrees were excellent however a mix up occurred and our server came by to say my son's entree had "ended up at another table". As he apologized for the delay he poured some extra wine into my glass. Nice move! My food did arrive room temp, but still very edible as it was flank steak, mashed potatoes and asparagus which had been made to suit my gluten and dairy free requirements. The bread was brought out and put in front of my son only. I so appreciate the attention to detail on the gluten issue. Service and food were as usual simply outstanding. Al Vento is a top favorite of mine in the Twin Cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al Vento BrunchSusaninMinneapolisDined on 6/21/2014Our party of four tried the Saturday morning buffet brunch. The food was beautifully presented and impeccably fresh. More than enough choices from composed or make-your-own salads, fresh fruit, delicate pastries, smoked fish, eggs, sausage, and even whipped cream, chocolate topped pancakes for our son. We loved our server; he was both relaxed and attentive making our patio meal a sure-to-repeat event. Thank you, Al Vento.Special Features:
- Excellent MenuGambardellaDined on 6/20/2014There are only a few truly good Italian restaurants in the Twin Cities. Al Vento is among them, and may be the very best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood placeDianneDined on 6/20/2014Four of us had dinner on Saturday night. The food was good, especially the hangar steak. The server was very well-versed on the food and very friendly. It is a cute place but not close to where we live. My husband summed up our experience pretty well saying: "Well, I'd go again if it were in our neighborhood." (It isn't, so we won't.)Special Features:
- cqeditorDined on 6/19/2014Eveything was 5-star, from the attentive waitstaff to the exceptional food. The enclosed patio was very pleasant (despite a very rainy night).Special Features:
- Good food, extremely accommodatingnonamesformeVIPDined on 6/15/2014We had a Father's Day dinner on the patio, which is been modified with sliding glass panels and a ceiling...great features in Minnesota! Nice patio, for starters! The bruschetta trio was pleasant and good to share with 2-3 people. Three of our group had the chicken stuffed with chèvre and loved it. The pizza is always good. The tomato mozzarella salad is generous. The pasta was above average and not overly garlicky. My husband loved the bread--took some home! The tiramisu is huge--definitely one to share. A great neighborhood restaurant in an area with few dining options. Happy hour daily, 4-6. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunch atmosphereruachoDined on 6/15/2014It was a good time with the family. 3 children, 1 teenager and the ambience was energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceelyodsDined on 6/14/2014As usual, it was a wonderful meal. It's a little on the pricy side for a regular visit, but once in a while that sort of thing is called for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sanfeb10VIPDined on 6/13/2014I'm a visitor who searched Urban Spoon and found you. I was very pleased with my pork cheeks and Englsh pea risotto. When I return to the area, I'll also return to Al Vento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to have Al Vento in my 'hood!KimberlyVIPDined on 6/12/2014Al Vento is such a great neighborhood restaurant - but I want to clarify that it's not just great when comparing it to other neighborhood restaurants. It's great compared to Italian throughout the Twin Cities. The staff is friendly and attentive. The food is fantastic and the menu changes often - but always has favorites like the incredible spaghetti and meatballs. And the cocktails are creative.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodBalooDined on 6/10/2014Every time the food is creative and delicious. The menu is ever changing. Great wait staff! Always a very special dining experience.Special Features:
- SurprisingAnnieDined on 6/8/2014I was pleasantly surprised by how cute this place was and how good the food was. I took my granddaughter there for a celebration and she is 13. We both enjoyed it. She had the spaghetti and meatballs and I had the potato pizza. Excellent. The Tirsmisu was good and the gelato is OK. Not nearly as good as in Italy...haha. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off day?CantareDined on 6/8/2014I have dined at Al Vento on many occasions for brunch and dinner over the past few years. All of my other experiences were great, but brunch this past Sunday was a disappointment. There was literally no food in 3 of 6 warming trays which were not refilled for 15 minutes or more. Our waitress spilled a mimosa on the floor beside our table but no one cleaned it up, so we were walking through a sticky mess as we walked back and forth to the brunch tables. Our coffee cups were not refilled once during the hour+ we were there. I had to ask to have the coffee refilled, and it took about 5 minutes before someone did so. The restaurant was only moderately busy. We have loved dining here, but after this experience I am unsure we'll return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014The only disappointment each time we visit is the beer and wine offerings. Never Summit which is my husbands favorite and offered at most restaurants. The Lake Harriet beer is also good. Very limited Cabs and Chards by the glass. We love the food but are always disappointed in the beers and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday brunch - good, not greatHennalinaDined on 6/7/2014The place is in a great location in our neighborhood and we looked forward to trying it, and although it wasn't horrible we don't plan on going back. Brunch buffet was set up in the front dining room, but did not smell very appetizing when we walked in - just sort of a strange sour smell. Food was pretty basic - nothing stood out and nothing really made me stop and say, "wow, that was delicious!!!". The sides were good - fruit, cheeses, olives - the easy stuff that didn't require any actual culinary work. The main dishes were just really bland and unmemorable - very disappointing. It all sounded fabulous online but didn't come close to meeting expectations. Won't be going again.
- Great dining experienceMelSDined on 6/6/2014As always, dinner was great. Been to Al Vento 3 times now, and it's always wonderful. Nice atmosphere. Only downside was that the waitress forgot to place our order for one of the appetizers, so it actually arrived after our meals, but she comp'd it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/6/2014Always great to visit Al Vento! We love it there.Special Features:
- bicycleboy52Dined on 6/2/2014We got there and the patio was somewhat full so we decided to set inside, they have two dinning rooms and I saw people setting at one table we were seated at a table in the hallway between the two dinning rooms. I'v been to Al Vento three times the first time with my son and I thought it was a very romantic restaurant. The next two times I brought dates and both times they put us the this hallway not very romantic I have a feeling I will not be going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service was lackingDeniseDined on 5/30/2014There were 6 of us for dinner, back in the furthest corner if the restaurant. Our server hardly ever checked on us and that became frustrating as we did order an appetizer, salads, entrees, dessert and wine/cocktails. The food was delivered by someone other than the server so we had wait and wait for the server to return for additional beverages or requests. The good thing is that the food was fabulous so I would definitely give it another try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall goodLilyVIPDined on 5/29/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Food is good. Service is hit and miss.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2014We have enjoyed Al Vento for many years. This meal was a disappointment because of overly salty food that was almost inedible. I will try again but hope this was just a bad day in the kitchen.
- Great night outElderDined on 5/27/2014Another great night eating out with friends. Never have been disappointed in our experieces at Al Vento. Don't want to recommend it to too many people otherwise it will get too crowded. Thank you again for another great experience.Special Features:
- Awesome as usualBooSushiDined on 5/24/2014Very much a hidden gem. We recommend to all our friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/24/2014We have been to the restaurant several times, so we decided to introduce our friends to Al Vento. Service was non-existent, we received a cheese tray as an appetizer and had to ask 4 times for bread or crackers to eat the cheeses and accompaniments. The chicken was so salty, we could even eat it. The spaghetti and meatballs were very bland. So disappointed and we will take this restaurant off of our "favorite list".
- Off-day for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We went over the memorial day weekend for brunch and were surprised to find it totally empty. Normally it's packed on a weekend, but because it was empty the food was a bit cold and crusted over. I know it's hard when there's not a lot of people, but it was still a little gross, especially the egg dishes. The champagne-to-juice ratio in the mimosas was also way more juice-heavy than normal and not that good. I know this isn't Al Vento's typical offering, so I'll be back, but it was still a disappointment! I brought friends who had never been before and I had been raving about it for weeks. I felt a bit embarrassed and I don't think they'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014We have been to Al Vento several times, and it never fails to exceed our expectations. Come on - when was the last time you had fiddleheads? The Bruschetta was mouthwatering. The pork cheeks were superb. The Tiramisu was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Springtime in Italy...FrenchyDined on 5/23/2014Excellent food, wine and service every time we have been there. The appetizers were so good we did another round of them. The beet salad one of my must haves. The fettuccine with Manila clams...awesome. Top it all off with an excellent Sangiovise, and at half price. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningBg2jt6Dined on 5/22/2014I like the patio every bit as much as sitting inside. Very comfortable. Food was good but gnocci had too much garlic. I like garlic but really think it was overused in this particular dish. Pizza with goat cheese and sausage was really good with well balanced flavors. Very nice wine list and half price bottle deal during happy hour makes it even better.Special Features:
- Good for a casual mealJesusDined on 5/21/2014The food was good, but definitely over priced given the quality and overall experience so I have to mark it down one star for that. The staff was great; not perfect but definitely a redeeming factor. The only complaint with them was they weren't afraid to pour water all over the table when filling our glasses. It was pretty humorous but even the waitresses at my local Perkins restaurant can handle this. The interior seemed fairly clean which is always a must for a place serving food so plus one star for that. Even the restroom was well attended which is, sad to say, not par for the course. This is a good place for having the occasional outing but for the price I'd just go to Applebee's, especially when it comes to the drinks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationfuntoeatDined on 5/21/2014Our latest dinner at Al Vento was to celebrate a birthday and it was special. It was our first of the year dining on the patio and although it wasn't quite warm enough to open the doors, it was delightful to sit in the sunshine and 'feel' outdoors. As always the wait staff was charming and helpful. There were three of us and we all had different selections and of course sampled each other's meals. The pork cheeks were amazing. All were delicious. It is always a treat to eat at Al Vento, which is more than a 'neighborhood restaurant.' It is a twin cities treasure.Special Features:
- Perfect stop for usRFerinDined on 5/21/2014Close to the airport with a neighborhood feel. The service was very good.Special Features:
- Food was mostly okOkayDined on 5/20/2014This visit was the least impressive foodwise of all my experiences at Al Vento. My meal, a chicken breast was waay too salty. The polenta was good, the stuffed mushrooms were only okay. My companions liked the meatballs and said the pizza was okay. Loved the expanded space on the patio and we felt well taken care of. I didn't say anything about the saltiness until the meal was over ( just not in the mood to take it on), so i gave them no opportunity to fix it. I'm sure we'll try again.
- Wonderful once againvancouver06Dined on 5/20/2014We had a terrific meal at Al Vento for date night. Great food, terrific wine list and fabulous date night prices!! Love Al Vento!!Special Features:
- Great for brunch4221Dined on 5/17/2014Brunch was outstanding. Great variety of excellent food, served as a "European-style buffet". It was very clean and the food was at a safe temp. Included pancakes, sausage, various types of eggs, crepes, smoked salmon, meats, cheeses, fresh fruit and more. $14, but for $20 you get everything previously mentioned plus bottomless bloody marys and mimosas. Best brunch deal in town! Staff was friendly and informative. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- One of the bestTrickey9erDined on 5/13/2014We live a few blocks away from this restaurant - and are so lucky for that. I have been there countless times, and every single time - the food and service have been wonderful. I love this place. I think it's one of the best Italian places in the region, as well as one of the best brunches.Special Features:
- Always look forward to goingMaryDined on 5/13/2014We love Al Vento. We go early because it gets so noisy but so worth it. Our reservation was at 5:15 and we got there quite early and they seated us. Nice waiter. Fantastic food, wine was good. Date night could not be better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outandaboutoutandaboutDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day Brunch (a party of 4). First time there. Would like to experience it for dinner also sometime! The table service for coffee, etc. was rather poor, which was unfortunate for me since I like my coffee in the morning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check out this gemLove2eatDined on 5/9/2014Our waiter was very informed about menu selections, and made excellent recommendations. We loved the no rush service which allowed us to talk while enjoying each selection of the foods we ordered. Great wine choices made for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love to return to Al VentoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/6/2014We come to Al Vento from St Louis Park every few months. We love Al Vento. Like the new patio with walls. Was a great place to gather with our 20 something children. One negative. Al Vento is our favorite place for Caesar salad until this week. The Caesar was too garlicky, the dressing didn't look or taste very smooth. Very disappointing. We love the Tuesday night date night options.Special Features:
- Excellent service, very goodSlowServiceDined on 5/6/2014Two couples enjoyed our birthday dinner together. We all participated in the 4 course meal and weren't disappointed at all. The service staff were above excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.