5001 34th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55417Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alventorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127243009x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jon Hunt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 12 or more will be seated in a semi-private dining area. A set price per person will be agreed upon, depending on guest needs. Meal will be coursed.
- Special Events: To make a reservation for a party of 5 or more, please contact the restaurant directly at 612-724-3009.
A word from Al Vento
Al Vento is a romantic Southern Italian bistro with fine dining at affordable prices. The relaxed decor and elegance by candle light provide the perfect setting for friendly banter, family outings, or simply staring into the eyes of your lover with a fine Italian wine in hand. With notably some of the most knowledgeable and friendly staff in the Twin Cities, Al Vento is the perfect dining experience for you this evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Vento - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Al Vento reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (155)great for outdoor dining (119)fit for foodies (98)romantic (85)special occasion (77)great for brunch (46)notable wine list (42)good for groups (29)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (11)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Perfect stop for usRFerinDined on 5/21/2014Close to the airport with a neighborhood feel. The service was very good.Special Features:
- Food was mostly okOkayDined on 5/20/2014This visit was the least impressive foodwise of all my experiences at Al Vento. My meal, a chicken breast was waay too salty. The polenta was good, the stuffed mushrooms were only okay. My companions liked the meatballs and said the pizza was okay. Loved the expanded space on the patio and we felt well taken care of. I didn't say anything about the saltiness until the meal was over ( just not in the mood to take it on), so i gave them no opportunity to fix it. I'm sure we'll try again.
- Wonderful once againvancouver06Dined on 5/20/2014We had a terrific meal at Al Vento for date night. Great food, terrific wine list and fabulous date night prices!! Love Al Vento!!Special Features:
- The following 2112 reviews are from the Al Vento reviews archive.
- Great for brunch4221Dined on 5/17/2014Brunch was outstanding. Great variety of excellent food, served as a "European-style buffet". It was very clean and the food was at a safe temp. Included pancakes, sausage, various types of eggs, crepes, smoked salmon, meats, cheeses, fresh fruit and more. $14, but for $20 you get everything previously mentioned plus bottomless bloody marys and mimosas. Best brunch deal in town! Staff was friendly and informative. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- One of the bestTrickey9erDined on 5/13/2014We live a few blocks away from this restaurant - and are so lucky for that. I have been there countless times, and every single time - the food and service have been wonderful. I love this place. I think it's one of the best Italian places in the region, as well as one of the best brunches.Special Features:
- Always look forward to goingMaryDined on 5/13/2014We love Al Vento. We go early because it gets so noisy but so worth it. Our reservation was at 5:15 and we got there quite early and they seated us. Nice waiter. Fantastic food, wine was good. Date night could not be better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outandaboutoutandaboutDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day Brunch (a party of 4). First time there. Would like to experience it for dinner also sometime! The table service for coffee, etc. was rather poor, which was unfortunate for me since I like my coffee in the morning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check out this gemLove2eatDined on 5/9/2014Our waiter was very informed about menu selections, and made excellent recommendations. We loved the no rush service which allowed us to talk while enjoying each selection of the foods we ordered. Great wine choices made for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love to return to Al VentoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/6/2014We come to Al Vento from St Louis Park every few months. We love Al Vento. Like the new patio with walls. Was a great place to gather with our 20 something children. One negative. Al Vento is our favorite place for Caesar salad until this week. The Caesar was too garlicky, the dressing didn't look or taste very smooth. Very disappointing. We love the Tuesday night date night options.Special Features:
- Excellent service, very goodSlowServiceDined on 5/6/2014Two couples enjoyed our birthday dinner together. We all participated in the 4 course meal and weren't disappointed at all. The service staff were above excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restauranthappydiner2Dined on 5/3/2014Wonderful menu from a local chef, reasonable priced, good variety and nice wine selections. A real value for your moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014Food was excellent. Noise level was high and made for less than a good experience
- Real ItalianRealfoodDined on 5/1/2014Everything is made by the restaurant including delicious focaccia and wonderful gelato. Every course poses a challenge because you always want to have more than one. The food never disappoints and the service is great without being intrusive. The waitstaff is knowledgeable about the menu and can answer your questions. The prices are outstanding. This is one of my favorite spots in town. If you haven't tried dsate night, you're really missing out on a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantFoodexplorerDined on 4/30/2014You don't expect this quality of food in neighborhood eatery. I have been there many times and the food and service is always excellent. This time I had linguine with clams and it was superb. The wine sauce had just the right touch of garlic and chili flake without overpowering the dish. There were many clams on the plate adding to the overall wonderfulness. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves Italian food and have on many occasions. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious pasta!NcydunDined on 4/28/2014Great place for HH wine and catching up with friends. I had the Bucatini. Fabulous- wonderful sauce. We all loved our meals and the service was very attentive. I will be back with my boyfriend- very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointedoldneighborsDined on 4/27/2014I moved out of the area about a year ago, but we used to go here all the time. The brunch used to have this tasty bacon, cheesy potatoes and waffles. When I went there to visit friends on Sunday, I had potato wedges, Italian sausage bites and cold mini pancakes. Its not what I remember at all.I was a little embarrassed for recommending Am Vento based on this showing. Its sad that they dropped off because it used to be amazing.Special Features:
- Wonderful findEcoguyDined on 4/26/2014Al Vento is not located in one of the better-known "foodie" districts. For us, it is not very convenient, but we will go back. Everything we ordered was delicious, and the pricing, though not cheap, is definitely lower than many restaurants of similar, or even less high quality, food. There seems to be an interesting mix between a 3-season informal porch-like sitting area, where we did not sit because it was a cold rainy day, and it felt a bit cold there, to an intimate white-table cloth interior. I am eager to try the porch in more clement weather.Special Features:
- good eatsMarafinDined on 4/25/2014food was delicious, service great...altho we were stuck in the dark alcove , kind of weird...between two dining rooms...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014Try the chef's charcuterie platter. It will change your life.Special Features:
- bellissimo!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2014Great everything! Block from my house. I'll be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.JanFSDined on 4/19/2014We have gone to Al Vento several times in the past couple of years and the food has always been uniformly delicious. We were there very early at 5:30 and the main dining roomwas only half full so the noise level was low and tolerable. However as were leaving ay 6:45, most of the tables were full and so then the noise level was way beyond a comfortable level. We would never go at a busy time.Special Features:
- Bad service to start sets the toneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014We set a reservation for four at 1:00pm and arrived at the restaurant at 1:03. There was no host in sight despite the restaurant being visibly slower. There was another couple waiting on the only bench in the tiny waiting area when we arrived and another group of four arrived shortly after. I was able to take a seven minute phone call before we even saw a host and once we saw one they checked us in and cleared a table, but instead of clearing us from this cramped area where we had been for almost ten minutes they decided to check in the other groups. It was 1:17pm before we were seated. Food was great, buffet was always stocked and delicious, only thing that was sub par were the ice cold Eggs Florentine. Recommend the calzone slices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for great fooddollface187Dined on 4/11/2014It is nice to go to a restaurant that doesn't serve the same thing over and over again, it can get boring. Every time I come to El Vento, I have something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, even better service!Datenight40Dined on 4/11/2014The food at Al Vento is rustic and delicious. All of the wait staff is extremely attentive and customer oriented. They have a real genuine positive attitude. I have been there several times and will continue to go back. Great place for a nice date night or bring the kids with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Tuesdays at al Vento!CindyDined on 4/8/2014Once again, the Tuesday Date Night fixed menu was wonderful! The Caesar salad was the best ever, nice and garlicky, the way I like it! This is a great value for such delicious food. I've been dining here for years and not once have I been disappointed in the food, wine and service.Special Features:
- The trout and flatiron steakSusquehannahDined on 4/5/2014The trout and flatiron steak were delicious. The caesar salad was too garlicky and peppery. The gnochi dish was bland. Dessert were very tasty.Special Features:
- Wednesday Night at Al VentoColletteDined on 4/2/2014Table for four at 6 p.m. We were surprised how busy the restaurant was for a Wednesday night. But that did not impede service. We were not rushed and left at 9 p.m. which speaks for the comfort of dining at Al Vento. I was able to substitute root veggies with the steelhead trout which demonstrates their flexibility. Another diner had lamb shank which was moist and flavorful. My spouse had linguine which was too spicy for me but he often orders spicy food so he was happy with it. A fourth diner ordered the sandwich, chicken with pesto which was o.k. with her but not spectacular. We had dessert and coffee, but mostly we had the time to get caught up with each other, which was the object of going out to a restaurant..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedJDMPLSDined on 4/1/2014We frequently eat at Al Vento and have never been disappointed. The food and service are always excellent. Their Tuesday night 'Date Night' menu is terriffic and a good value. Combined with happy hour prices, it makes for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014Good food Good service Love the feel This all equals a good timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a big disappointmentfoodie1977Dined on 3/29/2014I had a gift certificate to Al Vento and took my family there for a weekend brunch. The restaurant is laid out like a long, thin hallway and made it difficult to get to/from the buffet. But no matter, the food was highly underwhelming - tasteless pasta, scrambled eggs, pancakes, and so-so Italian sausage. The only truly good item was ricotta stuffed crepes. I will not return. The server barely got by to check on us or clear our plates.
- My favorite Neighorhood Spot!MariaDined on 3/25/2014I love alVento's! I always go there on my birthday without fail! The food is always outstanding and so is the service! I also like the Tuesday night date night! It's a big hit with all of my friends. Thank you for another wonderful experience at alVento's! Maria LidstoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Outstanding MealDannoDined on 3/25/2014We have been to Al Vento many times but the last time was really subpar. We went back this time for Date Night and were pleasantly surprised to find the food and service were outstanding. We sampled the marinated olives and stuffed mushrooms, two seasonal salads from Chef Hunt, and our gnocchi and ravioli dishes were both exceptional. We shared a lovely bottle of wine and capped off the evening with gelato and coffee. This dinner reestablishes Al Vento for us as a "go to" location for special occasions and comfortable dinners with friends. I can't say enough about the improvement in the service - nicely done to all. We wanted for nothing and our glasses were always full.Special Features:
- a mixed bagbaylorbearDined on 3/22/2014The restaurant is located in an older neighborhood with limited parking. The dining space is a bit crowded, but the service was excellent. The good was outstanding as well. The only drawbacks I experienced were the long wait between the appetizer and the main course and the fact that the restaurant offers nothing extra for a guest's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just do it.doublefunDined on 3/21/2014Awesome food and a fun place to have dinner with your partner. Knowledgeable and efficient servers. The kitchen staff has superb capabilities. One of the best restaurants in the Twin Cities.Special Features:
- Salty!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2014We hadn't been to Al Vento in over two years. It used to be one of our favorites. Our recent visit was quite disappointing. The sausage pizza has changed and not in a good way. No flavor. The Buccatini al'Amatriciana has always been my favorite. Granted, there is an ample amount of pancetta, but the dish was so very salty. Almost indelible. It was my wife's birthday. I don't think we will go back.
- Creative deliciousnessmskatiemaeDined on 3/19/2014Quality of food is notable. Presentation and preparation lead to a tasty and satisfying meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cozy neighborhood hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2014Al Vento is a little on the pricey side, but it's worth it. The service is great, food is amazing and if you take advantage of one of their specials it's very affordable. We usually go there for more special occasions. We tried the Tuesday Date Night deal for the first time the other night and you get a ton of food for a low price. Al Vento is truly a gem in Nokomis.Special Features:
- Love this place!dinerDined on 3/18/2014The food is amazing, the staff are friendly and it is right in my neighborhood. I love coming here.Special Features:
- Excellent FindGregDined on 3/15/2014Loved it. Menu was unique and the flavors were excellent chef creations, not your normal Italian fare. Service was terrific too.Special Features:
- It was the first time we ateSaussereatsVIPDined on 3/15/2014It was the first time we ate brunch here and it was excellent. For a reasonable price, we had unlimited mumosas and a wide range of breakfast, pasta, salad and dessert items. We will definitely eat brunch there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.