5001 34th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55417Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alventorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127243009x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jon Hunt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 12 or more will be seated in a semi-private dining area. A set price per person will be agreed upon, depending on guest needs. Meal will be coursed.
- Special Events: To make a reservation for a party of 5 or more, please contact the restaurant directly at 612-724-3009.
A word from Al Vento
Al Vento is a romantic Southern Italian bistro with fine dining at affordable prices. The relaxed decor and elegance by candle light provide the perfect setting for friendly banter, family outings, or simply staring into the eyes of your lover with a fine Italian wine in hand. With notably some of the most knowledgeable and friendly staff in the Twin Cities, Al Vento is the perfect dining experience for you this evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Vento - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Al Vento reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (154)great for outdoor dining (117)fit for foodies (96)romantic (85)special occasion (77)great for brunch (44)notable wine list (41)good for groups (27)kid-friendly (14)hot spot (13)great for lunch (10)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- great for any occasionWildquigDined on 7/14/2014We had a wonderful time. The service was fabulous, the food, to die for and the wine was outstanding. Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Boozie Brunch!BernLiMplsDined on 7/12/2014I met up with three friends at Al Vento because it was close and offered a Saturday brunch (kind of a rarity!). For $14, we got delicious food and for an additional $6, the bottomless mimosas, bloody marys, and screwdrivers made it a steal! The food was fantastic - I loved the crepes filled with a yummy apricot cream, the smoked salmon, the chocolate fountain for dipping fruit, the goat cheese log, the seasoned potatoes, eggs - all terrific! We sat outside under the covered patio which was a nice touch and the waiter was very attentive. I'd definitely visit again and will likely bring a larger group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014al vento was not ready for us when we arrived for our reservation. we had to wait 10 to 15 minutes for our table. also waiter was not very attentive.Special Features:
- Disappointed but wiil be backOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014My son just bought a home in the neighborhood and we were excited about celebrating at Al Vento! I made a reservation because I really wanted to dine outside. When we arrived were were told it would be a 15-30 minute wait so we accepted a table inside. Dinner and wine were terrific however, the service was poor. It was not busy inside but we waited too long to be greated. We enjoyed a bottle of wine and ordered our food shortly there after. When the food arrived 2 of us ordered a glass of wine. Half way through our meal I asked someone to send our waiter over. He came to the table and told us the wine we ordered was not available by the glass so I ordered another bottle. When we finished our meal we canceled the bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DessertPauletteDined on 7/1/2014Gelato was very icee. Not good! Everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice everything!DeeLishDined on 6/29/2014Al Vento, as always, provided great and friendly service with interesting and mostly locally grown food. They easily adjusted our reservation when we were running late. Service was pretty good but it did seem like they were trying to rush us, although it may have been that the young man who was clearing the table was just a bit too enthusiastic! I wish there were more vegetarian options - we wanted the cheese plate as an appetizer but couldn't order it without the meat. Otherwise it was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunchOutstandingDined on 6/29/2014The brunch buffet has a wide array of food, there is something for everyone and I love the outdoor patio space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always look forward to brunch...ceejVIPDined on 6/29/2014At Al Vento, the Sunday brunch is quite spectacular. Many delicious choices from house smoked salmon, eggs florentine to pastries, cheeses, olives, sweet breads and bottomless mimosas or bloodies if you choose (that's a little extra). It was a beautiful day so we sat on the patio. Everything was delightful.Special Features:
- Always excellentalphabetDined on 6/27/2014Everytime we go to Al Ventos the food is delicious, the wait staff attentive and friendly. The patio is wonderful now that we have some good weather.Special Features:
- Great and getting betterbobhalsDined on 6/26/2014We have gone to Al Vento about 8 times since moving here two years ago. We've been very happy with the food each time, but it seems like it continues to improve in quality and creativity. The grilled baby octopus appetizer this last time was especially interesting. The wine list isn't vast, but it's good and the prices are quite reasonable (and better than that if you arrive before 6 pm!). The wait staff are consistently very good. Outstanding food in a casual atmosphere: exactly what we like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible experienceaGuyDined on 6/25/2014I booked a reservation for my wife and I on our Anniversary. Despite asking for a quiet table with some privacy both in the reservation and in person when we arrived, the apathetic hostess sat us directly adjacent the door. No big deal, we're here to eat so let's just move on... Unfortunately, the service went downhill from there. We were abandoned for more than 20 minutes while waiting to place drink and entree orders, and when we flagged down who I think was the manager, were treated with contempt and an overall disregard for the quality of our experience. It was clear that we weren't important enough to deserve even the most basic level of service at Al Vento and I'll take their hint and kindly never, ever go back.
- FabulousJoJoDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful casual dinner location. The server went above and beyond what was necessary. This was the 4th or 5th time my family has been here and is a staple. Certainly worth the money.Special Features:
- Great yet again, one small errormskatiemaeDined on 6/21/2014I took my son to Al Vento to celebrate his birthday on a Saturday evening. We had a nice meal with appetizers and wine. The entrees were excellent however a mix up occurred and our server came by to say my son's entree had "ended up at another table". As he apologized for the delay he poured some extra wine into my glass. Nice move! My food did arrive room temp, but still very edible as it was flank steak, mashed potatoes and asparagus which had been made to suit my gluten and dairy free requirements. The bread was brought out and put in front of my son only. I so appreciate the attention to detail on the gluten issue. Service and food were as usual simply outstanding. Al Vento is a top favorite of mine in the Twin Cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al Vento BrunchSusaninMinneapolisDined on 6/21/2014Our party of four tried the Saturday morning buffet brunch. The food was beautifully presented and impeccably fresh. More than enough choices from composed or make-your-own salads, fresh fruit, delicate pastries, smoked fish, eggs, sausage, and even whipped cream, chocolate topped pancakes for our son. We loved our server; he was both relaxed and attentive making our patio meal a sure-to-repeat event. Thank you, Al Vento.Special Features:
- Excellent MenuGambardellaDined on 6/20/2014There are only a few truly good Italian restaurants in the Twin Cities. Al Vento is among them, and may be the very best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood placeDianneDined on 6/20/2014Four of us had dinner on Saturday night. The food was good, especially the hangar steak. The server was very well-versed on the food and very friendly. It is a cute place but not close to where we live. My husband summed up our experience pretty well saying: "Well, I'd go again if it were in our neighborhood." (It isn't, so we won't.)Special Features:
- cqeditorDined on 6/19/2014Eveything was 5-star, from the attentive waitstaff to the exceptional food. The enclosed patio was very pleasant (despite a very rainy night).Special Features:
- Good food, extremely accommodatingnonamesformeVIPDined on 6/15/2014We had a Father's Day dinner on the patio, which is been modified with sliding glass panels and a ceiling...great features in Minnesota! Nice patio, for starters! The bruschetta trio was pleasant and good to share with 2-3 people. Three of our group had the chicken stuffed with chèvre and loved it. The pizza is always good. The tomato mozzarella salad is generous. The pasta was above average and not overly garlicky. My husband loved the bread--took some home! The tiramisu is huge--definitely one to share. A great neighborhood restaurant in an area with few dining options. Happy hour daily, 4-6. Worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunch atmosphereruachoDined on 6/15/2014It was a good time with the family. 3 children, 1 teenager and the ambience was energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceelyodsDined on 6/14/2014As usual, it was a wonderful meal. It's a little on the pricy side for a regular visit, but once in a while that sort of thing is called for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sanfeb10Dined on 6/13/2014I'm a visitor who searched Urban Spoon and found you. I was very pleased with my pork cheeks and Englsh pea risotto. When I return to the area, I'll also return to Al Vento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy to have Al Vento in my 'hood!KimberlyVIPDined on 6/12/2014Al Vento is such a great neighborhood restaurant - but I want to clarify that it's not just great when comparing it to other neighborhood restaurants. It's great compared to Italian throughout the Twin Cities. The staff is friendly and attentive. The food is fantastic and the menu changes often - but always has favorites like the incredible spaghetti and meatballs. And the cocktails are creative.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodBalooDined on 6/10/2014Every time the food is creative and delicious. The menu is ever changing. Great wait staff! Always a very special dining experience.Special Features:
- SurprisingAnnieDined on 6/8/2014I was pleasantly surprised by how cute this place was and how good the food was. I took my granddaughter there for a celebration and she is 13. We both enjoyed it. She had the spaghetti and meatballs and I had the potato pizza. Excellent. The Tirsmisu was good and the gelato is OK. Not nearly as good as in Italy...haha. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off day?CantareDined on 6/8/2014I have dined at Al Vento on many occasions for brunch and dinner over the past few years. All of my other experiences were great, but brunch this past Sunday was a disappointment. There was literally no food in 3 of 6 warming trays which were not refilled for 15 minutes or more. Our waitress spilled a mimosa on the floor beside our table but no one cleaned it up, so we were walking through a sticky mess as we walked back and forth to the brunch tables. Our coffee cups were not refilled once during the hour+ we were there. I had to ask to have the coffee refilled, and it took about 5 minutes before someone did so. The restaurant was only moderately busy. We have loved dining here, but after this experience I am unsure we'll return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014The only disappointment each time we visit is the beer and wine offerings. Never Summit which is my husbands favorite and offered at most restaurants. The Lake Harriet beer is also good. Very limited Cabs and Chards by the glass. We love the food but are always disappointed in the beers and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday brunch - good, not greatHennalinaDined on 6/7/2014The place is in a great location in our neighborhood and we looked forward to trying it, and although it wasn't horrible we don't plan on going back. Brunch buffet was set up in the front dining room, but did not smell very appetizing when we walked in - just sort of a strange sour smell. Food was pretty basic - nothing stood out and nothing really made me stop and say, "wow, that was delicious!!!". The sides were good - fruit, cheeses, olives - the easy stuff that didn't require any actual culinary work. The main dishes were just really bland and unmemorable - very disappointing. It all sounded fabulous online but didn't come close to meeting expectations. Won't be going again.
- Great dining experienceMelSDined on 6/6/2014As always, dinner was great. Been to Al Vento 3 times now, and it's always wonderful. Nice atmosphere. Only downside was that the waitress forgot to place our order for one of the appetizers, so it actually arrived after our meals, but she comp'd it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/6/2014Always great to visit Al Vento! We love it there.Special Features:
- bicycleboy52Dined on 6/2/2014We got there and the patio was somewhat full so we decided to set inside, they have two dinning rooms and I saw people setting at one table we were seated at a table in the hallway between the two dinning rooms. I'v been to Al Vento three times the first time with my son and I thought it was a very romantic restaurant. The next two times I brought dates and both times they put us the this hallway not very romantic I have a feeling I will not be going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service was lackingDeniseDined on 5/30/2014There were 6 of us for dinner, back in the furthest corner if the restaurant. Our server hardly ever checked on us and that became frustrating as we did order an appetizer, salads, entrees, dessert and wine/cocktails. The food was delivered by someone other than the server so we had wait and wait for the server to return for additional beverages or requests. The good thing is that the food was fabulous so I would definitely give it another try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall goodLilyVIPDined on 5/29/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Food is good. Service is hit and miss.Special Features:
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2014We have enjoyed Al Vento for many years. This meal was a disappointment because of overly salty food that was almost inedible. I will try again but hope this was just a bad day in the kitchen.
- Great night outElderDined on 5/27/2014Another great night eating out with friends. Never have been disappointed in our experieces at Al Vento. Don't want to recommend it to too many people otherwise it will get too crowded. Thank you again for another great experience.Special Features:
- Awesome as usualBooSushiDined on 5/24/2014Very much a hidden gem. We recommend to all our friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/24/2014We have been to the restaurant several times, so we decided to introduce our friends to Al Vento. Service was non-existent, we received a cheese tray as an appetizer and had to ask 4 times for bread or crackers to eat the cheeses and accompaniments. The chicken was so salty, we could even eat it. The spaghetti and meatballs were very bland. So disappointed and we will take this restaurant off of our "favorite list".
- Off-day for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We went over the memorial day weekend for brunch and were surprised to find it totally empty. Normally it's packed on a weekend, but because it was empty the food was a bit cold and crusted over. I know it's hard when there's not a lot of people, but it was still a little gross, especially the egg dishes. The champagne-to-juice ratio in the mimosas was also way more juice-heavy than normal and not that good. I know this isn't Al Vento's typical offering, so I'll be back, but it was still a disappointment! I brought friends who had never been before and I had been raving about it for weeks. I felt a bit embarrassed and I don't think they'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014We have been to Al Vento several times, and it never fails to exceed our expectations. Come on - when was the last time you had fiddleheads? The Bruschetta was mouthwatering. The pork cheeks were superb. The Tiramisu was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Springtime in Italy...FrenchyDined on 5/23/2014Excellent food, wine and service every time we have been there. The appetizers were so good we did another round of them. The beet salad one of my must haves. The fettuccine with Manila clams...awesome. Top it all off with an excellent Sangiovise, and at half price. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningBg2jt6Dined on 5/22/2014I like the patio every bit as much as sitting inside. Very comfortable. Food was good but gnocci had too much garlic. I like garlic but really think it was overused in this particular dish. Pizza with goat cheese and sausage was really good with well balanced flavors. Very nice wine list and half price bottle deal during happy hour makes it even better.Special Features: