5001 34th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55417Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alventorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127243009x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Sunday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jon Hunt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 12 or more will be seated in a semi-private dining area. A set price per person will be agreed upon, depending on guest needs. Meal will be coursed.
- Special Events: To make a reservation for a party of 5 or more, please contact the restaurant directly at 612-724-3009.
A word from Al Vento
Al Vento is a romantic Southern Italian bistro with fine dining at affordable prices. The relaxed decor and elegance by candle light provide the perfect setting for friendly banter, family outings, or simply staring into the eyes of your lover with a fine Italian wine in hand. With notably some of the most knowledgeable and friendly staff in the Twin Cities, Al Vento is the perfect dining experience for you this evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Al Vento - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Al Vento reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (150)fit for foodies (98)great for outdoor dining (95)romantic (85)special occasion (82)notable wine list (46)great for brunch (35)good for groups (29)hot spot (13)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Manhattan on 34thcriticalmassDined on 8/16/2014Let's put it this way..We got married here. Everyone was making yummy sounds during the dinner. The wait staff is most attentive. They also serve the most delicious bread ever created. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sundancesundanceDined on 8/16/2014The chef had a salt thing going Saturday night. My wife's pappardelle was too spicy to finish, and even the glaze on my rib eye was overly salty. However, the bruschetta was amazing, the wine list appropriate, and the ambience terrific. Our waiter, Lou, was friendly and helpful. This was the first time the food wasn't up to our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Al VentoExperiencedDinersVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very disappointing dinner. For the main courses we ordered their trout dish and a pasta Amatriciana. The latter was described as having hot pepper flakes added, and the waiter volunteered that they could cut back on that ingredient. After quite a long wait, the pasta came with a lot of pepper, and the trout was badly overcooked. We were hungry and didn't want to wait another 40 minutes, so we did not send them back. These dishes are not difficult to prepare. Management should check the kitchen.
- Good food, but disappointedbeerdrinkerDined on 8/12/2014Received confirmation of reservation for patio. Arrived 20 minutes early, was told that patio dining could not be reserved and that we would have to wait at least an hour to sit on patio. Even when I explained I had received patio confirmation, it was not honored. Staff was polite and regretted the error, food and wine were very good despite the disappointment of eating inside on a beautiful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it! You will be back!!DiscriminatingTasteDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food!! Great wine list. Amazing Specialty Cocktails! House infused Limoncello and Rhubarb Gin! Try the Italian Mojito. Refreshing, not too sweet, delicious! Great service, too! Only exceeded by the unique choices and never disappointing flavor of the food. We had our son's grooms dinner here and it was fantastic! Surpassed our expectations. Been coming here for years and have referred countless friends and family to check it out. They are loyal customers now, too! The short rib entree is melt in your mouth delicious. Also, try the spaghetti and meatballs. Ridiculously good!! Mother sauce that has cooked all day, homemade pasta, and veal meatballs. Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just great!pachv26Dined on 8/10/2014I am absolutely in love with Al Vento's bruch and so I always come back. The food is amazing and it's all you can eat buffet! I was skeptical about setting reservations through Open Table but everything worked out perfectly! Especially because brunch is always so busy. I couldn't have asked for better service through open table and Al Vento! I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Enjoyed Our DinnernorgebeardDined on 8/9/2014The dinner was tasty, they have a fantastic ambiance, and the service was really great. My one critique is that the entrees weren't quite worth what we paid.Special Features:
- great!chickendinnerDined on 8/9/2014Al Vento is a great place in a quiet neighborhood. It's like going downtown for a nice meal without going downtown!Special Features:
- YUM YUM YUMLovesgoodeatsDined on 8/2/2014We (party of 4) thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered and had no room for dessert. Great beer, wine and drink list. appetizers were awesome and we each ordered a different entrée, all were fantastic. Been to Al Vento many times and have never had anything but great food and service. I love the place. The patio is lovely too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumtastic!pokeykittyDined on 8/2/2014I really enjoy the consistently good food and pleasant service here. It can be a special occasion or just dinner out, but it is always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent food, value and outdoor seating. With many restaurant today it was so loud I had a hard time hearing my dining companion.Special Features:
- Something was off...HonestDinerDined on 8/2/2014Normally my husband and I enjoy our brunch experiences at Al Vento. This last Saturday something was wrong in the kitchen. The apricot cream crepes were salty. Some of the olives had gone musty. The Eggs Florentine were too poached in too much vinegar, the toast beneath was soggy and the sauce lacked the usual rich flavor. The buffet setup was very late. We were trying to have our wedding anniversary there. Rumor has it they are using a partial new kitchen staff. If this is true, beat them into shape quickly. We're only going to give Al Vento one more try. If the food is not back to what we're used to (which is food handled with care and presented with both flair and flavor) we're going to find another place to dine.
- JohnslandDined on 8/1/2014We have been coming to Al Vento for years. The food is consistently good and if you have the good fortune to have BEN as your waiter you will find service to be far above average!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014I love Buca's, and I was looking for a place like it to try out. I was blown away by the environment, which was much more romantic than Buca's inside. There was a patio, but we decided not to eat out there. Yeah there were a couple things like a thin paper cover over the tablecloth, but you don't really notice that. The food was incredible. They change the menu every night, so I'm looking forward to heading back there to try out more food. A great deal for the price. Including tip, I spent $60 for two pasta dishes and two glasses of wine. Loved it, and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Best ItalianMNFoodiesDined on 7/29/2014We have had Italian food in several states and Al Vento is by far our favorite. Their homemade foccaccia will make you break every carb rule that you might have. From their homemade pasta's to their perfectly grilled and braised meats, this is a wonderful place. Here's a tip: go on Tuesday nights for their amazing date night meals and experience exceptional service from Ricardo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio dining is so nice!LightrailfoodiesDined on 7/28/2014Delicious cheese assortment including a delightfully sinful pork belly. Enjoyed pasta and meatballs with a generous amount left over for next day lunch. Creme brûlée trio was good not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodCarolynDined on 7/26/2014Love the spaghetti with mother sauce and meatballs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!!!!IGHDinerDined on 7/25/2014Dinner on the patio with friends. Food was great, never felt rushed. Also like the the Happy hour specials.Special Features:
- Delicious23specialDined on 7/23/2014We went here for a birthday dinner and found the wine list, and menu to be full of special treats. The 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Bit of HeaventamikamiDined on 7/23/2014What a great place to meet friends, go on a date, or just taste some delicious food. The menu is varied enough that you can order the expected items like Margarita Pizza, but can also try things a little more edgy like one of their unique appetizers. The wine list is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestFreshFoodieDined on 7/22/2014Al Vento is by far my favorite restaurant in the cities. Italian that can't be beat. Not the heavy handed pasta dishes that can haunt American style Italian food. It's light and fresh but we never leave hungry. Service is too notch. Can't say enough good things. Hit it up for Tuesday date night. $20 per person for a four course meal. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Date NightSnowsurferDined on 7/22/2014The date night menu was a steal. All 4 courses were very good. It was also half price wine night, so $22 for a bottle. Can't really go wrong....although I have had mediocre food here in the past, I had an excellent meal this last time....July 2014. Very nice patio seating.Special Features:
- Don't miss the Date Menu FareMakeMineAlVentoDined on 7/22/2014The before-6pm half-priced bottle makes the wine almost affordable. Incredible stuffed mushrooms and assorted olives. Tasty caprese and crusty bread for dipping in a seasoned, sweetened oil. Jeff welcomed us, and never rushed us through our meal; there was no wait for the entrée --perfectly cooked gnocchi and tomatoes. We slowly savored our scoop of vanilla gelato and biscotti. Appetizer portion small (2 mushrooms apiece), but an attractive and complete meal for the $20 each. I left feeling full, and very satisfied with my fine dining experience. Will return to dine outdoors before the summer ends. Thank you so very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday $20 menukac138Dined on 7/22/2014We like to come for the 1/2 price bottle of wine and Tuesday $20 menu specials. The specials are different every Tuesday and always Tasty!Special Features:
- OctopusunimpressedDined on 7/18/2014I love Octopus. I was dismayed to find that their Octopus appetizer was made with Baby Octopus, but tried it yesterday. It wasn't a large portion. I sighed. Then I tasted it. OMG Sweat, savory, chewy and Fantastic. Both of our pastas were ideal as well. Try the place.Special Features:
- Outside noisy, inside was greatSouthieDined on 7/16/2014We had our first table outside, but it was too noisy for the conversation we were hoping to have. Our table of four moved inside and had a wonderful evening. The waitstaff did not rush us at all and were very helpful as we made our choices both for wine and menu items. The appetizer meat/cheese plate was unique and was worth savoring. We all had varieties of pasta which were delivered hot. This was not our first time, but we had not been there in a while. Glad to see the quality has remained the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeDiner1Dined on 7/15/2014Always fresh, flavorful and unique, they raise the bar constantlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Placevancouver06Dined on 7/15/2014We have been going to Al Vento for years and every time the experience is wonderful. The wait staff is terrific and is amazingly knowledgeable about the wine and the food menus. The food is always well presented and is consistently perfect. The menu is innovative and nicely varied. This is definitely a restaurant we will go back to and will recommend to all our friends and family!Special Features:
- great for any occasionWildquigDined on 7/14/2014We had a wonderful time. The service was fabulous, the food, to die for and the wine was outstanding. Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Boozie Brunch!BernLiMplsDined on 7/12/2014I met up with three friends at Al Vento because it was close and offered a Saturday brunch (kind of a rarity!). For $14, we got delicious food and for an additional $6, the bottomless mimosas, bloody marys, and screwdrivers made it a steal! The food was fantastic - I loved the crepes filled with a yummy apricot cream, the smoked salmon, the chocolate fountain for dipping fruit, the goat cheese log, the seasoned potatoes, eggs - all terrific! We sat outside under the covered patio which was a nice touch and the waiter was very attentive. I'd definitely visit again and will likely bring a larger group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014al vento was not ready for us when we arrived for our reservation. we had to wait 10 to 15 minutes for our table. also waiter was not very attentive.Special Features:
- Disappointed but wiil be backOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014My son just bought a home in the neighborhood and we were excited about celebrating at Al Vento! I made a reservation because I really wanted to dine outside. When we arrived were were told it would be a 15-30 minute wait so we accepted a table inside. Dinner and wine were terrific however, the service was poor. It was not busy inside but we waited too long to be greated. We enjoyed a bottle of wine and ordered our food shortly there after. When the food arrived 2 of us ordered a glass of wine. Half way through our meal I asked someone to send our waiter over. He came to the table and told us the wine we ordered was not available by the glass so I ordered another bottle. When we finished our meal we canceled the bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DessertPauletteDined on 7/1/2014Gelato was very icee. Not good! Everything else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice everything!DeeLishDined on 6/29/2014Al Vento, as always, provided great and friendly service with interesting and mostly locally grown food. They easily adjusted our reservation when we were running late. Service was pretty good but it did seem like they were trying to rush us, although it may have been that the young man who was clearing the table was just a bit too enthusiastic! I wish there were more vegetarian options - we wanted the cheese plate as an appetizer but couldn't order it without the meat. Otherwise it was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunchOutstandingDined on 6/29/2014The brunch buffet has a wide array of food, there is something for everyone and I love the outdoor patio space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always look forward to brunch...ceejVIPDined on 6/29/2014At Al Vento, the Sunday brunch is quite spectacular. Many delicious choices from house smoked salmon, eggs florentine to pastries, cheeses, olives, sweet breads and bottomless mimosas or bloodies if you choose (that's a little extra). It was a beautiful day so we sat on the patio. Everything was delightful.Special Features:
- Always excellentalphabetDined on 6/27/2014Everytime we go to Al Ventos the food is delicious, the wait staff attentive and friendly. The patio is wonderful now that we have some good weather.Special Features:
- The following 2148 reviews are from the Al Vento reviews archive.
- Great and getting betterbobhalsDined on 6/26/2014We have gone to Al Vento about 8 times since moving here two years ago. We've been very happy with the food each time, but it seems like it continues to improve in quality and creativity. The grilled baby octopus appetizer this last time was especially interesting. The wine list isn't vast, but it's good and the prices are quite reasonable (and better than that if you arrive before 6 pm!). The wait staff are consistently very good. Outstanding food in a casual atmosphere: exactly what we like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible experienceaGuyDined on 6/25/2014I booked a reservation for my wife and I on our Anniversary. Despite asking for a quiet table with some privacy both in the reservation and in person when we arrived, the apathetic hostess sat us directly adjacent the door. No big deal, we're here to eat so let's just move on... Unfortunately, the service went downhill from there. We were abandoned for more than 20 minutes while waiting to place drink and entree orders, and when we flagged down who I think was the manager, were treated with contempt and an overall disregard for the quality of our experience. It was clear that we weren't important enough to deserve even the most basic level of service at Al Vento and I'll take their hint and kindly never, ever go back.
- FabulousJoJoDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful casual dinner location. The server went above and beyond what was necessary. This was the 4th or 5th time my family has been here and is a staple. Certainly worth the money.Special Features: