1236 Dorchester Avenue
Dorchester, MA 02125Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dbarboston.com/
- Phone: 6172654490
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Coombs
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: dbar can be booked for many different types of events. •Sit down dinners, up to 60 people •Cocktail parties, up to 180 people. •Large scale club events with DJs and dancing from dbar’s amazing sound and lighting system, also up to 180 people.
- Private Party Contact: Brian 6172654490
- Special Events:
Fridays and Saturdays: DJ's and dancing after dinner.
Show Tune Tuesdays every Tuesday 9pm-2am with VJ Rompy.
iThursdays!, every Thursday, bring your iPod or iPhone and you be the DJ.
A word from dbar
Open 7 days a week, dbar is a full service restaurant that seamlessly transforms into a nightclub and lounge as the night goes on. Formally an old school Irish pub filled with mahogany charm, dbar has been renovated into a hip chic hot spot. With warm glowing candles & long leather banquettes, dbar offers a casual and comfortable atmosphere that attracts clientele from Dorchester and surrounding areas. The unique and classy menu inspired by Executive Chef Christopher Coombs changes with the seasons and features the finest and freshest available ingredients throughout the New England area. Most of the menu takes a French twist, but also contains an assortment of comfort foods (such as our famous Veal & Pancetta Bolognaise) and old favorites (like our simple yet delicious Giannone Chicken Under a Brick.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
dbar reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)great for outdoor dining (38)vibrant bar scene (31)fit for foodies (31)hot spot (21)romantic (17)good for groups (16)special occasion (15)great for brunch (14)late-night find (13)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- First timeliamsmomDined on 10/26/2013and we will come back. My husband is from the south shore and always wants to head there for dinner - now he knows we don't have to drive 30 minutes to have a nice dinner!! Service was good, nice atmosphere and good food!Special Features:
- Alway excellent food.SteveDined on 10/18/2013This place never let's me down my go to restaurant I. The city when I need a good meal.Special Features:
- Consistently good food here...JonfromtheBurbsDined on 10/16/2013The chicken under a brick was fantastic served with flawless mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus. Simple, delicious, strong drinks, nice eye candy. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dot's GemDotDinerDined on 10/12/2013What's not to like? The food is phenomenal, the service is excellent, and the atmosphere is lively but still relaxing. Its like the best of the South End without the attitude. Kudos to chef for an interesting combination of creativity and comfort foods. The pork belly appetizer is a must-try for pig lovers--its a big portion, so you may (or may not) want to split.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but much too dark!BirdieDined on 10/12/2013This was our first meal at dBar and all 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed it.....EXCEPT why on earth does the room have to be so dark? We could barely read the menu and had trouble identifying some of our food. I totally missed the white aioli on the edge of the white plate. We don't mind a dimly-lit room, but this was uncomfortably dim! I want to give a loud shout out to Rob, our waiter. Excellent service. We felt very well-taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No expectations and LOVED IT!TollergirlVIPDined on 10/12/2013We ate here after a Sunday matinee performance at the Strand Theater in Dorchester. Unfamiliar with the area, we chose dbar without knowing anything about it. It's a beautiful space, exposed brick, dark wood, colorful lighting. Service was attentive, friendly and professional. We ate from the starters menu with a nice bottle of Malbec that we were not familiar with. Someone here has a passion for good charcuterie - we had pate and great lamb sausage, also succulent pork belly. Loved the homemade pickles and garnishes. Just a TON of wonderful-sounding things on the menu and specials list. Would definitely go back. Vibrant scene with large family groups, couples, just a nice mix. There is a small parking lot as well. Thoroughly enjoyable!Special Features:
- Reliably greatMetroWesternerVIPDined on 10/10/2013Fascinating food, beautifully presented by attentive waitstaff!Special Features:
- Favorite Neighborhood Spot !wineNdineDined on 10/4/2013Nice local hidden gem in Dorchester. Food is good, Nice Ambiance, Friendly staff, Small Intimate dining area /vibrant bar for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fantastic wine dinnerDougRVIPDined on 10/2/2013The food and wine pairings were wonderful. The second course of fresh tagliatelle with Hen-in-the-woods mushrooms was exceptional. I would have eaten that for all three courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomelike2eatDined on 9/28/2013The food was great and affordable i got the chicken with mashed potatoes and it was outstanding i would go back to try other dishes. The service was terrific they were on time and so friendly. I would suggest DBar to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighbor food secretDbarliciousDined on 9/27/2013We enjoy the food and the easy atmosphere at Dbar. Brought friends there for dinner, and they agreed the food was outstanding. Caprese salad was locally sourced tomatoes, home-made mozzarella just fab. The pork belly app was soo good and we all had chicken under a brick. Love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealGeoffDined on 9/20/2013My wife and I had a delightful meal here Friday night. The food was outstanding and interesting, the service attentive and warm, and the table nice and cozy (in a good way). The orange margarita and burger were particularly outstanding. A great place to unwind over food after a long week.Special Features:
- Always perfectbostonsuzetteDined on 9/19/2013We had friends visiting from Europe and took them here and they said it was the best restaurant they had been to for the entire week - and that's a lot of dining out!Special Features:
- Downtown Food in DorchesterscjaneyDined on 9/13/2013One of the best places in Boston to eat. Always a must on my list during restaurant week and a definite go to when friends as me for a great place not downtown. Staff and friendly and accommodating. The cocktails are innovative and not over priced. Dbar is never a disappointment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazeballsldp604Dined on 9/7/2013I am hesitant to recommend only because I do not want this gem to be discovered by everyone in Dorchester thereby decreasing my odds for getting a last-minute reservation on a Friday or Saturday! This place was awesome all around. Great patio seating with plenty of space and unexpected privacy from Dorchester Ave. We had pork tacos for an app and the brick chicken for dinner. I cannot say enough good things about that chicken! Chicken at a restaurant? Suspect ordering I know. All I can say is, order it once and you may never order anything else on the menu again! Service was a bit slow but otherwise we had a wonderful dining experience. Will be back regularly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, as alwaysLongtimedbarfanDined on 9/4/2013Dbar is one of my favorite restaurants in Boston. I have never had anything but a great dining experience there. The food is creative and delicious, the staff are so friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2013Went yet again for a great dinner.. We shared the calamari. Which was perfect. I had the crispy duck, excellent and my friend had the salmon, fantastic. We had drinks and dessert. Everything was delicious. The place was busy. The waiter was attentive. I can't wait to go back.. again.Special Features:
- Loved every minute.TippchickDined on 8/31/2013Everything was above my expectations. We were seated straight away and the waitress promptly took our drink order. Her timing was perfect the whole way through the meal with the exception of a little mix up at dessert which was sorted by a manager before some of our party even realized . The food was delicious , clean plates all around . I would highly recommended Dbar .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nouveau RicheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2013My fiance and I started off with a couple of really delicious cocktails - I had the orange jalapeño margarita, which had a crucial rim of salt and orange zest to cool off the kick of the jalapeño tequila. I had the pear and bleu cheese salad and the pappardelle pasta, and he had a slightly more robust pork belly and duck confit. We both enjoyed our meals, but Dbar's kitchen needs to think simpler. My pasta was well made, but redundant ingredients (peas, fava beans, AND asparagus?) muddled the dish. The duck confit was dry. I do have to say that all the vegetables were fresh - Dbar's famous rooftop garden is legit. Our waiter was a ghost - he never even said his name, and took our plates without a word.Special Features:
- I left 100+% satisfiedTonTonDined on 8/30/2013I dine out a number of times a week. I love good food!! I also love to eat out. Breakfast, lunch, dinner or fourth meal I seek out the best dinning experiences. I am absolutely discerning. All aspects of my dinning experience have to just so for me to be impressed. Many restaurants come close but to my disappointment, no cigar. The dbar is one of the few restaurants that have exceeded my expectations. I have been there for brunch as well as dinner, with my girlfriends and with my husband and kids. Every visit has left me pleased with the service, the food, the drinks, and the ambiance! The only complaint I have is that they aren't open for lunch. I recommend dinning on the patio in the evening. It's lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gift to DorchesterJustaDorchesterfreindDined on 8/30/2013This was not by any means our first visit to dbar and, as always, it didn't disappoint even in the hectic period of "Restaurant Week". Culinary standards have always been high and yet I feel that it doesn't receive enough credit as a destination restaurant, because it's always listed under "bars". May they continue to thrive!Special Features:
- Wonderful MealGeoffDined on 8/30/2013Three of us had a very nice dinner at dbar on Friday night. Our food was uniformaly excellent in taste and appearance, and the service was professional and pleasant. The drinks were also interesting and first rate. We sat outside on a delightful patio. There is a restaurant parking lot right next to the front door. We will definitely be coming back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Great; Great food, servicehaddockDined on 8/30/2013It was a perfect spot; the suggested food was excellent; the waiter never interrupted or over solicited. A group of five women all gave "thumbs up". Highly recommend and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best outdoor patiosBELinMADined on 8/24/2013One of the best outdoor patios in the city. Chris Coombs and his team are the best.Special Features:
- Not their best nightDougRVIPDined on 8/22/2013In honestly there was nothing terribly wrong with anything. Service was a little slow, that was due to the kitchen, and they could not find the awful bottle of wine we ordered (rose, it think a rioja if I recall correctly) but not our server. I don't know what the delay was in the kitchen as the place was not overly busy. I was also disappointed that they had reduced their menu due to Restaurant Week. They hadn't really added anything new either. I was looking forward to the striped bass which was a casualty of RW. I got the Bolognese instead. It was good but very, very rich. I think they used cream in it instead of milk. Whatever it was a bit too much, heavy and rich. I think it was just an off night and usually the food is terrific.
- Great Place - for RestaurantberniecoDined on 8/22/2013Great Place - for Restaurant week the menu is fantastic! Its a great place for Brunch with great Bloody Mary's :-)Special Features:
- Every meal we've had at dbarOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2013Every meal we've had at dbar has been amazing. Our most recent experience did not disappoint. The corn & crab soup was silky smooth and flavorful, the ceviche was tasty and fresh, the duck confit was succulent, the summer cod was a delightful marriage of flavors, and the creme brulee delightful as always!Special Features:
- DrinksHaroldVIPDined on 8/21/2013Drinks have shrunk like all Boston drinks. At least they still use a good size glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time's the charmDbarliciousDined on 8/17/2013We really love the food we've had at Dbar because the flavors are fresh and really great. Our second trip, we had the same wait staff as in the past and they remembered I ordered a special desert for my husband. It was so thoughtful and the bread pudding was the best I've ever had. It wasn't mushy or soggy but custardy and smooth. We were in heaven. Also just tried the Sangria and it was just very very good. We are planning on trying one of the wine dinners Dbar offers and now that we have found you, we will be seeing you quite often. Thank you Dbar for being my neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumspdinnerDined on 8/13/2013Great food, service and atmosphere. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food here is always reallyJonfromtheBurbsDined on 8/10/2013The food here is always really consistent. Had a tomato caprese salad with rooftop tomatoes that was outstanding. For the entree, I had a sirloin with potato croquettes and string beans, simple, but really well executed. Dining companion had lemon glazed scallops (which I tasted) that were also amazing. White wine and tequila Sangria was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food - great atmospherehpcdineDined on 8/4/2013Awesome food - great atmosphere - super attentive - My favorite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dBar ConsistentRickVIPDined on 8/2/2013Always a great place for food, drink and wine. Service always with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Girls Night Out!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2013Girls night out and we sat on the back terrace on a warm evening. We wanted and got a relaxed wonderful meal starting with cocktails from their fun mixed menu, appetizers, entrees and dessert. Delighted to find duck on the menu and was not disappointed. We also never felt rushed by the staff to turn the table. I have had the pleasure here before but dbar was new to my friends and they will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Service excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2013From beginning to end this was a great dinning experience. Scott couldn't have been nicer or more attentive and as always the good was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!DinaDined on 8/1/2013I have eaten at DBar several time and have always had amazing food!!!!! Love it there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- while my dish was disappointingjackVIPDined on 7/28/2013while my dish was disappointing ib flavor my dining companions loved their dishes.Special Features:
- Why notPapaVIPDined on 7/27/2013Creative, thoughtful just great food! Never ever bad meal with great drinks and desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotIrishprincess327VIPDined on 7/22/2013Always enjoy going to dbar. Staff is great! Food is good and they have "fab" sangria (red is my favorite). They have their own roof deck garden and so much is offered on the menu are fresh and great! Great spot! iSpecial Features:
- Love DBARlittlemisspiggieDined on 7/20/2013We celebrated my best friend's 50th bday at Dbar on Saturday. There were seven of us and everyone loved the food and drinks.Special Features: