1236 Dorchester Avenue
Dorchester, MA 02125Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dbarboston.com/
- Phone: 6172654490
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Coombs
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: dbar can be booked for many different types of events. •Sit down dinners, up to 60 people •Cocktail parties, up to 180 people. •Large scale club events with DJs and dancing from dbar’s amazing sound and lighting system, also up to 180 people.
- Private Party Contact: Brian 6172654490
- Special Events:
Fridays and Saturdays: DJ's and dancing after dinner.
Show Tune Tuesdays every Tuesday 9pm-2am with VJ Rompy.
iThursdays!, every Thursday, bring your iPod or iPhone and you be the DJ.
A word from dbar
Open 7 days a week, dbar is a full service restaurant that seamlessly transforms into a nightclub and lounge as the night goes on. Formally an old school Irish pub filled with mahogany charm, dbar has been renovated into a hip chic hot spot. With warm glowing candles & long leather banquettes, dbar offers a casual and comfortable atmosphere that attracts clientele from Dorchester and surrounding areas. The unique and classy menu inspired by Executive Chef Christopher Coombs changes with the seasons and features the finest and freshest available ingredients throughout the New England area. Most of the menu takes a French twist, but also contains an assortment of comfort foods (such as our famous Veal & Pancetta Bolognaise) and old favorites (like our simple yet delicious Giannone Chicken Under a Brick.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
dbar reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (43)fit for foodies (35)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (23)romantic (18)good for groups (17)late-night find (17)great for brunch (15)special occasion (15)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- dbar delivers againWhaleboyDined on 5/7/2014I dined with my family and two teenaged exchange students from India. As usual, our food was terrific and the service warm, friendly, personable and efficient. Our male guest is a veteran traveler and foodie, and he was extremely impressed.Special Features:
- Love it hereJonPVIPDined on 4/30/2014I live down the street and arguably dbar has the best food and drink in Dorchester. Top three in my opinion. Never a bad meal and always awesome service.Special Features:
- Can't wait to come back!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 4/30/2014So happy to have found this place, I can already see myself coming here regularly. Friendly and quick service, very cozy yet classy ambiance, and the best part is it has its own parking lot! The food was delicious. I had the seared tuna with forbidden rice, and it was amazing! Also recommend their parsnip soup, their crispy calamari, and their steak! Their cocktail list is extensive and interesting full of original concoctions. Nice and strong, I can't wait to try them all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hospitality training neededAttention2detailsDined on 4/29/2014The food there is great. However once in a while my husband and I are seated with a young man named David who seems to be the only one who can't provide premium service. When we ask for a certain dish to be made a particular way, all other servers make sure it gets done, except David. When I asked for a smaller spoon, all other servers can find a smaller spoon, except David. David either doesn't want to take a moment to adhere to the guest request, is lazy, or simply doesn't know how to provide premium service. I highly suggest one advise David that his pay comes from the regular patrons who frequent dbar, and that all guest request should be attempted, rather than simply denying it on the spot without even attempting to honor a request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeAttention2detailsDined on 4/21/2014This place is great. Sometimes you need a nice dinner with good food. This is the place! Local safe place with great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and great foodJamesPVIPDined on 4/19/2014My partner and I met here one year ago and returned to find the same affable staff and delicious food. The chicken under brick is not to be missed.Special Features:
- Very good dining experiencewazzupDined on 4/18/2014I went for the first time to dbar a couple nights ago with a friend. Very good service...five starts for that! The dish I ordered was powerfully tasty, but the drink I ordered beforehand, a Bloody Mary, was just OK (and came with a salted rim...odd!) So four stars for "food," though it was maybe 4.5 for food but two or three for the drink. I'm phobic about noise and knew the place had an active bar scene that heated up as the night progressed. But my friend and I were able to converse without shouting--granted we were there on the early side, 7:00 to about 8:30 on a Friday night.Special Features:
- GREAT FIND!!!MargaritaMarciaDined on 4/18/2014dbar was terrific from cocktails to dessert and coffee. Fried calamari was light and flavorful. Striped bass, although a very small serving size, was delicious. Spring vegetable pappardelle was scrumptious. Dessert was a medley of mango sorbet and lavender and espresso ice creams (3 scoops served in martini glasses). Only compliant was a table of 5 several feet away from us that was ridiculously loud and cackling. They were, I believe, pretty wasted on alcohol and were oblivious to their noisiness. Waiter offered to move us but there wasn't a table without a wait. I highly recommend making a reservation and, although there is a lot adjacent to dbar, be prepared to park on Dorchester Ave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimMartinDined on 4/18/2014Once again dbar shines in every aspect from the greeting at the door, to the service and the food. Keep up the great work! A great restaurant just a few minutes from the house.............Special Features:
- Best cocktailsWhimsyDined on 4/8/2014Cocktail menu is one of the best. Have dined there many times and everything from apps to entrees have been delicious and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/5/2014We always enjoy dBar. Our servers are always good, attentive and friendly without hovering, and Rory is a great addition to the team. Looking forward to seasonal change of menu.Special Features:
- dbarswimgirlDined on 3/28/2014This is my second time going to dbar in recent months. I had the gnocchi and brussels sprouts, both delicious and an amazing cocktail from the bar. The server was knowledgeable and attentive, without overdoing it. The dessert was a little slow in coming, and he comped it, which was unnecessary. Nice scene too. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/24/2014What a wonderful dinner we had! Very personable and knowledgeable waiter. Fantastic bread, very tasty salad, and a truly superb chicken entree. Dessert included home made ice cream! And everything reasonably-priced. I don't live far from here, but for some reason I never thought of this place when making dinner plans. I will now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, folks, and vodkamichaelcharlesphelpsDined on 3/22/2014Two friends and I enjoyed attentive but not overbearing service on Saturday night. The food was tasty, and the drinks were satisfying. Both bartenders paid attention to us, and the host and hostess were inviting as well. I will go again. The Cool Cucumber martini and tuna ceviche were as good or better than the equivalents at other Boston restaurants that I frequent. I would like to emphasize that Andy and his fellow bartender stood out. I truly appreciated going to a restaurant that i had not been to and receiving outstanding service and being made to feel welcome. I would like to note that the standard response by Andy to us and others was "Of course." I love hearing that, especially as compared to "No problem" when I ask for something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual placeBtc1953VIPDined on 3/14/2014Good drinks, very neighborhoods, great food and service. Mostly very friendly and easy place to enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a disappointmentluv2eatDined on 3/9/2014I went to DBar with such great expectations as a friend had highly recommended it. The service was terrible waited a long time just to get a drink and when she did bring the drink it was the wrong one. We had to bother the host later to take our order as the waitress seemed to have forgotten about us. The lobster omlet lacked lobster. So disappointed as I was so looking forward to it.Special Features:
- The best restaurant in DorchesterBostonKarenDined on 3/7/2014dBar has truly excellent food and very good service, but is loud. We were seated near a speaker, and asked the Hostess to have the music turned down, which the Manager did for us. Otherwise, we would have been shouting across the table. Keep in mind that dBar on the weekends and later at night (after 9 p.m.?) becomes a bar, more than a restaurant; so if you want a quiet spot, go early! I had the scallops, which were perfectly cooked: seared and juicy. My friend had the sirloin sandwich. The french fries are AMAZING! (I kept eating them off my friend's plate.) For dessert, we split a goat-cheese cheesecake -- EASILY the very best cheesecake I've ever had. Such an interesting flavor, and not overly sweet. We highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dbar fun123QWEDined on 3/5/2014Went with a group of friends - we arrived at 7:30 and left at 10:45 PM - great food, excellent service, absolutely no one rushed us and we were able to talk and laugh and thoroughly enjoy the evening. One of my favorite places!Special Features:
- Memorable Wine Tasting DinnerbostonsuzetteDined on 3/5/2014We're longtime fans of Dbar, but this was our first wine tasting and we brought two friends with us for the restaurant's Wines of Sicily dinner. We had been to Sicily in 2012 and toured some of the best wineries. Dbar did not disappoint. The wines were great, the food excellent, and the service stellar. At one point during the dinner, I said to my friend, "Wow, it's like we're back in Sicily!"Special Features:
- Pretty good brunchPMB79Dined on 2/23/2014I was pleased with our experience, not blown away, but it was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & excellent serviceSaraamayaDined on 2/16/2014This was the first time going to dbar and it was amazing! I took my mom here for dinner when she was visiting from CT and in my moms words "this was one of the most memorable meals ive ever had in boston". She is extremely hard to impress when it comes to food so the fact that she was beyond satisfied says a lot. We started off with a tuna ceviche (super fresh and ample size for an appetizer) and then I had the chicken under a brick while my mom had the oso bucco. Both entrees were phenomenal. We ended with a brownie/chocolate dessert that was gooey, chocolate filled and just the right amount of sweet to end a wonderful dinner. Our server David was great and service was extremely prompt and friendly. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite placeJSM21Dined on 2/15/2014We drove in through practically a snowstorm for our most recent visit to Dbar and it was worth it. Maybe even made it better, since it wasn't as crowded as we had expected. The food here is amazing and the servers are excellent - I have gone with their recommendations for both food and wine at times, and I have never been disappointed. Our previous visit was a Tuesday night and that is musicals sing-a-long night - go early if you want a non-raucous dinner. Also, great awareness of lactose/gluten issues, and very willing to make adaptations. All in all - it's almost an hour's drive and I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentIndyDined on 2/14/2014We went for Valentines Day and had the four course 65pp. prefix menu they were offering. The food was decent and the atmosphere was pleasant. We were seated near the bar off in the corner. The food was decent, but wasn't mind blowing.Special Features:
- Make sure you're drinkingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/9/2014Went in for brunch to celebrate my husband's birthday. Once the waiter realized that one of the six of us was not drinking, service came to a screeching halt. Food was pretty standard brunch fare, but having to wait 45 min for our food when we were trying to make it to an event was unacceptable, even when we tried to explain our situation. Manager tried to offer us free shots, but hello, our group isn't drinking. I'd avoid this place if you're not a big drinker. We always tip 25%, but on this day, we only left 15%. Never assume anything.
- Dot's BestThomasDined on 1/25/2014DBAR has been a truly wonderful addition to the restaurant scene in Dorchester. It has the best food in Dorchester, a lively atmosphere, great service, and a very friendly staff. We have never had a bad meal at DBAR and have been going for many years. This is our Go To restaurant of choice. Thanks DBAR!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dbar never fails to provideOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/19/2014Dbar never fails to provide outstanding food and fantastic cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The duck liver pate is alwaysJayZDined on 1/18/2014The duck liver pate is always delish! The service is amazing. Our server was very helpful in making wine recommendations and was not at all pretentious or snoody. The smoky beef tacos are a must try. I have always left very satisfied with my experience. It's also very reasonably priced. Everyone seems very friendly and again, our server was great!Special Features:
- anniversary dinnernancyDined on 1/18/2014My husband and I recently went to dBar to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It's in our neighborhood and we've been happy with the food there on our visits. It did not disappoint this time, either. Food and service were terrific. It was crowded and noisier than the last time I was there; then I was sitting in a booth with our guests and not in the middle of the floor. Noise level made it difficult for us to talk. Next time, I'll ask for a booth or a table in a quieter corner. Even the noise level did not diminish our enjoyment of the food and the caring, professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for New Year's EveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013They had a great prix fixe menu for New Year's Eve with wine pairings. The meal was delicious and the wine choices nicely done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional New YearDbarliciousDined on 12/31/2013You can always feel that you will be ripped with a prix fixe menu,but Dbar did an excellent job? I did beef carpaccio, beef chops and they were fabulous. My husband had the scallops, abd chicken breast and it was great. Well done such a good job, we can't wait to get bak. Service was exceptional as well and we had a memorable New Years dinner. Soo good, thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013Usually, we don't get to go out for New Year's Eve with 3 kids, it's quite impossible. This year, we made early reservations for Dbar's New Year Dinner Special. It was more fantastic than usual. Four exquisite courses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good salmon, scallops & burger.GregDined on 12/27/2013Good salmon, scallops & burger. Overall good food but service was a little slow but probably just a short staffed holiday experience. Would go again. Nice wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dbar has friendly neighborhood vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013We visited our daughter in the city and chose dBar due to the proximity to her apartment - but it is worth the trip from anywhere in greater Boston. There was a parking lot which is a big bonus in the city. The interior was modern and clean. The food was excellent and the service was just right. I can't wait to go back next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurant & barFoodForThoughtDined on 12/19/2013I live an hour away and wanted to take a friend out for dinner for his birthday. He recommended this restaurant. We had a great meal at a great price. I recommend it.Special Features:
- Birthday BrunchTheBeesKnees12Dined on 12/8/2013We were first-timers at dbar, and were celebrating a birthday. We had a few out of town guests, and a few local ones, as well as a very spunky 2 year old. We grabbed the first reservation of the day, and it was perfect. Everyone was happy with their meal, music playing in the background was great (and quiet enough so that everyone could talk), and I had one of the best Bloody Mary's ever. Also, our waiter brought out some bacon, a little early before the food, so that the 2 year old could start eating. That was super-accommodating. The off street parking is a hard find in the area, and made some of the older guests feel more comfortable. My only "con" was that it wasn't nice enough out to enjoy their outdoor dining space.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with friendlyJimMartinDined on 11/23/2013Great restaurant with friendly and attentive staff. Food is well prepared and presented. Great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best option in DorchesterKateDined on 11/23/2013One of the better places to eat in Dorchester, but pricey. I've never had a bad meal here, but I've also never had an outstanding one. It's usually a small problem I notice - the dish might be too salty, or the quinoa undercooked, or the duck a bit dry. Although filling enough, the portions are on the small side for the price, and the entrees tend to be heavy. It would be great if they were accompanied by more *green* vegetables. Mixed drinks are pricey and a bit too sweet for my taste. The wine list is good. All that said, DBar is still a good place to eat. With a bit more attention it could be fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- show tunes TuesdayswimgirlDined on 11/19/2013I went to dbar with some friends for show tunes Tuesday. The food and drinks were delicious, and the service was impeccable. The wait staff is thoughtful and extremely knowledgeable. It did get a little loud when the show tunes started, but the dj played a fun mix. We'd definitely all go back. :)Special Features:
- Step downOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2013Been before and...... Food a few levels down. Bisque mediocre , had to ask for spoons. And bread...after apps served. Drinks needed reminder Food was telid. Fries over salted, ceviche bland and tasteless Disappointed. We're a fan of this and deuxave. Hopefully bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKarenitaDined on 11/16/2013I've been to dbar quite a few times now. I've been to many restaurants in the Boston area, but this is by far my favorite. The staff couldn't be any nicer, the atmosphere more charming, and above all, the food more delicious! On top of all that, there's a parking lot, and plenty of street parking if that's filled. Highly recommended.Special Features: