654 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caramiany.com/
- Phone: 2122626767x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12pm - 4pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4pm - 11pm
Thursday - Saturday 4pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Adrian Lazo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire dining room is available for rental
- Private Party Contact: Jona or Besim 2122626767x
A word from Cara Mia
Cara Mia restaurant is a neighborhood treasure in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan. Minutes from Times Square, locals and tourists alike flock to this Italian trattoria which features delicious homemade pastas, fresh meats and seafood, as well as an extensive wine list. Cara Mia's cozy and intimate atmosphere are the perfect location for a romantic dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cara Mia reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (27)great for lunch (22)good for groups (13)romantic (13)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Tasty & affordable prix-fixe lunchNYdinerDined on 3/8/2014I believe this was my third time eating at Cara Mia before a matinee Broadway show. You can't beat the price of a $10 prix-fixe lunch in NYC! Lunch comes with a choice of salad or soup and one of about 10 entrees. Being on 9th Ave., the restaurant is away from the Times Sq crowds, offering a quiet and charming ambiance. Food and service are always very good. I will continue to come back here and recommend to anyone seeing a show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goto restaurantLBN1Dined on 3/7/2014Have been to this restaurant several times. Hits on all important measures - consistent, pleasant, reliable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre-theater choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2014Good for pre-theater. Reasonable prices, they are efficient in getting you in and out, the food is fine and not too far a walk to shows.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first visitFoodieVIPDined on 3/4/2014This is a very unpretentious Italian haunt with good food. Menu is not extensive or fancy, but the food was prepared nicely and was fresh. Prices for a NYC restaurant were likewise reasonable. I would certainly return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant host and very decentSylvainLDined on 3/3/2014Pleasant host and very decent food at this small establishment.. Good location and reasonable prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than the usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014Eggplant was excellent. So tasty with the cheese flavors yet not heavy like the usual parm. Fish and veggies so fresh! Cooked just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch before the matineeKennyDined on 2/26/2014We've been coming here for years. Recently the menu has changed and, it seems, the staff. It's a little unsettling. The Pollo rustico is now prepared without the sausage. The service is good and the atmosphere welcoming.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2014I have been going to this restaurant for over 10 years. The staff is very attentive and the food is amazing! The restaurant is small and cozy! Great for pre-theater lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousearlgreyDined on 2/22/2014I love this restaurant! The food is great! The service was terrific and the waiters knowledgeable. We had pollo with limon and angel hair pasta primavera. The flavors were perfect and not overpowering. The lunch special prix fixed meal was well worth it and very filling. the caesar salads were very fresh and tasty. The meal was leisurely and not rushed. I highly recommend this restaurant for before theatre or after theatre.Special Features:
- Wouldn't go backnycEatsDined on 2/21/2014Food came out very quickly, almost as if it had just been sitting in the kitchen for a while. Entrees were brought out at same time as the salads; entrees were lukewarm by the time our salads were finished. Pasta sauces were very bland.
- Excellent Pre-Theater SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/20/2014Not pretentious or generating a lot of "buzz" but a good old fashioned Italian restaurant, especially convenient before a Broadway show. Highly recommend the daily specials or any of the pasta dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually go here for dinner,boothbayVIPDined on 2/19/2014Usually go here for dinner, but had lunch prior to a matinee and thoroughly enjoyed it. A nice selection of pastas, fish and meat as well as some sandwiches and an excellent prix fixe luncheon menu. Had Caesar salad, pasta with four cheeses, and strawberries with cream. All were well prepared.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian NYC SpotNeilSDined on 2/17/2014I found Cara Mia on Open Table and I have to say we both enjoyed our dinner. The service was attentive. Though it is small it is a great place for a date. The chicken parm was excellent.Special Features:
- Great spot near theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2014We went to Cara Mia before an afternoon performance of "Cinderella" and had a delicious meal. Waiter was courteous, food tasty with some unique dishes on the menu. I ordered the pasta with wild boar and really enjoyed it! Would certainly return again.Special Features:
- Pre-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The restaurant was very hectic, being pre-theater time. The waiters did their best to deliver good service but as it was crowded with everyone needing prompt service, they had a hard time and sometimes lacked the personal touch. The food was very good and we would go again, just not before 7:30 when the theater crowd has gone.
- it was a great Lunch for usPaulaDined on 2/9/2014it was a great Lunch for us before going to a show. Both food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Service was excellent. We were 45 minutes late and they still managed to have a table for us! Restaurant was packed and it is very small in there, which was the only draw back. Food was very good and not outrageously priced for midtown. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone, with the caveat of cramped spacing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Broadway Dinner at Cara MiaKathyDined on 2/8/2014Four of us enjoyed an excellent dinner before going to a Broadway show. Some tasty specials were offered in addition to a menu which included more than just " typical" Italian food. Salads were fresh and a generous size. Three of us opted for the red snapper special, it was yummy! Service was very attentive. Like many theater district restaurants, tables were a bit close but we did not feel crowded. We look forward to returning next time we come to NYC for a show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experiencebustermomDined on 2/6/2014My friends and I went to Cara Mia and had another great experience, like many over the years. The food was hot and tasty. We told the waiter we had a theater curtain to make, and he was quick with service and the check. Next time we will come without having a deadline, and try the dessert!
- Cozy and good!grownupVIPDined on 1/31/2014Cara Mia is a pleasant place to enjoy a really good Italian meal. We went after the theater crowd left so it wasn't too noisy. The chicken parmesan was one of the best I've ever had. It was thin and tender and had lots of cheese and a great sauce. I've been here a number of times now and have never had a bad dish. The service is friendly and prompt and the prices are very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth itArnieDined on 1/30/2014First did not know they did serve liquor just wine and beer. Food was mediocre at best. The appetizer was Ok but the sauces on the pasta was just tasteless with no flavor. My tortellini was over cooked and so was my wife's paperdell. Prices were good but not for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- SpectacularTraceyDined on 1/27/2014The food and service was great! The restaurant was recommended by a colleague and we could not have been happier. The specials were outstanding. One of the party members ordered the eggplant. We all felt it melted in your mouth. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good service!AndrewDined on 1/22/2014I am a regular at Cara Mia! My husband and I eat lunch or dinner at least once a month at this restaurant. The food is always delish! In addition to their regular menu, Cara Mia always has wonderful specials each time we come to visit. The prices are great and the service is fantastic!Special Features:
- Cara Mia doesn't disappoint.dgsnjDined on 1/22/2014This was my fifth trip back to Cara Mia. I've had lunches and dinners there from both the regular and their prixe-fixe menus. Once again the food was delicious and just the right portion size. The value, friendly service and reasonable prices make this one of my favorite restaurants in this part of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Italian foodwenonly1VIPDined on 1/15/2014It's a very good neighborhood Italian restaurant. Not a great happy hour restaurant as the drink specials are nothing special. However, the food was delicious and the service is great. Prix Fixe is from 4-7 pm week day and I will recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite of mineLizGDined on 1/11/2014Been here many times, always terrific. Homemade pasta, fresh flavors - I'm a fan! You're definitely... cozy... with your neighbors, but that's NYC for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty ItalianHellsKitchenBRVIPDined on 1/11/2014Like have been going here for over 20 years and I've never had a bad meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food for good price.AndrewDined on 1/7/2014We go to Cara Mia at least once or twice a month. The food is always excellent and the service is wonderful! I've never had anything that I didn't like. The prices are also very reasonable. In fact, I think they are to low! I'd gladly pay more for the great food and service I get at this place!Special Features:
- POOR PASTAOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/6/2014BOTH PASTA DISHES WERE POOR, WAY TOO SOFT AND OVERCOOKED. WHY PUT THE RISOTTO DISHES UNDER HOMEMADE PASTA SECTION?
- Cara MiaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2014The food is always good, and served in a reasonable amount of time (since we are always heading for a show). I like that the food is always served piping hot! Their Tiramisu is the best I have ever tasted. The portion is large-perfect for sharing. Make sure you leave room for it. The wait staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. Make your reservation early. They book fast.Special Features:
- Always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013We come here over and over and are never disappointed in the food. Service is not consistent, but good. Have come here with my husband for a romantic dinner, a group of 6 adults for a night out, and have even taken tweens here and even with their pickiness they loved it. Would recommend to anyone. Price point is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently great food!DineOutAlotDined on 12/30/2013Love the home made pasta, especially the papardelle with mushrooms. Great pre-theatre venue!Special Features:
- This was a dinner for a familyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/29/2013This was a dinner for a family of 4 after a show. The food was incredible. The olive oil and bread was awesome. The Chianti wine was great! The Caesar salad was mixed just right. We didn't wait too long before the main pasta dishes came out. The temperature of the food was just perfect and they were delicious. We had made a later reservation at 6, but changed it to 5 instead and they were very accommodating. The food is amazing. The restaurant is cozy, good for dates or smaller groups. The only negative was we did make a personal request for a plastic bag from a waitress due to the rain. While I admit it was not a common request, she said she would, but never did. It ruined service experience initially, but the other waiters were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!LoveToEatDined on 12/27/2013We needed a table for 8 at the last minute and we were able to get a reservation here. I knew nothing about the restaurant, so was a bit hesitant. However, we were seated immediately on a busy Friday evening. The waitress was very attentive and food came fairly quickly. All 8 of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals & dessert. There is no kid's menu, but for older children (8+), there were plenty of good options. The place is very cozy & intimate. Love the exposed brick wall that runs the full length of the restaurant! However, it is pretty small so don't go here expecting to be loud & crazy....this is not the place. Prices are reasonable and I will definitely return here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value and ambiance inenenDined on 12/27/2013good value and ambiance in theatrre district. food tasty and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great! We wereFoodieVIPDined on 12/27/2013Service was great! We were late for our reservation due to the traffic in the tunnel, but they held our table for us and were very kind.Special Features:
- Very accommodating. DeliciouscryptohipsterDined on 12/23/2013Very accommodating. Delicious food. I had the chicken scallopini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone cleaned their plates.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2013Everyone cleaned their plates. The caesar salad was disappointingly average, but the calamari, cavatelli,ravioli, risotto, and bolognese were all fantastic/excellent. Pleasant walk near restaurant row, and easy before theater meal. Charming, small pretty place. Long line awaiting outside when we finished eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to the theater...stop here!RichninerDined on 12/23/2013Here is a nice convient location close to the theater district to catch a meal before your play. Great service , cozy and romantic. The food was excellent and well prepared. I would definitely stop in again. Be sure to make reservations though because this place fills up quick!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little small and quite busy.BobboVIPDined on 12/22/2013A little small and quite busy. Quite noisey but the food and service eas very good.