654 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.caramiany.com/
- Phone: 2122626767x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12pm - 4pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 4pm - 11pm
Thursday - Saturday 4pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Adrian Lazo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire dining room is available for rental
- Private Party Contact: Jona or Besim 2122626767x
A word from Cara Mia
Cara Mia restaurant is a neighborhood treasure in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan. Minutes from Times Square, locals and tourists alike flock to this Italian trattoria which features delicious homemade pastas, fresh meats and seafood, as well as an extensive wine list. Cara Mia's cozy and intimate atmosphere are the perfect location for a romantic dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cara Mia reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (21)romantic (13)good for groups (12)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2014The Cara Mia staff did not seem to know we had reserved via OpenTable. The special beet salad was made with stale, wilted arugula and beets seemingly out of a bottle. The pasta and tiramisu were run-of-the-mill. The location is good for pre-theater.
- foodieVIPDined on 6/17/2014Cara Mia is consistently good...good food and good service. It's a great theater district restaurant. The staff is a always warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- AWESOME!BergerDined on 6/8/2014One of my favorite places to eat when I'm in the city - I'm never disappointed - and Cara Mia came through again. I have personally recommended this restaurant to all of my friends and they have all enjoyed eating here as much as I do. Grazie!Special Features:
- noise level defening.pkslimitedDined on 6/7/2014Veal was tough. The worst part was the noise level was awful. Couldn't wait to leave.
- Good but don't go for cocktailsGaryDDined on 6/6/2014This is a great neighborhood gem with good food and a nice ambiance. But they only serve wine and beer so go somewhere else for that martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/5/2014We arrived late and were served a lovely meal in timely fashion. Food was very good, and the service was superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My last visit to Cara MiaNYfoodieDined on 6/5/2014We have eaten in Cara Mia for years. Well located in the theater district, it has been a reliable and reasonable place to eat. After the meal last week, we may not go back. We chose the Prix Fixe as we have often done ($20 each). The Caesar Salad consisted of 1 cup of torn lettuce pieces with a pedestrian dressing. No zip to it at all. The pasta dish was acceptable, But the servers were on top of us. If a fork was put down, the plate disappeared. Our reservation was at 5:30. We finished our main course and received our bill by 6:10. And the bill, with two glasses of wine, no dessert, tax and tip was still $78. The next time we will spend a bit more somewhere else.
- eat3inbogotaDined on 6/5/2014If you are looking for a good Italian restaurant before theatre, I would recommend this. It's very noisy but the food is good and the service is not too rushed.Special Features:
- ebe9800VIPDined on 6/4/2014very friendly staff..but need to be more attentive! very accommodating staff also!
- Hells Kitchen findNJgrandmaVIPDined on 6/4/2014Tiny place near theatres. Food was very good, attractively plated and reasonably priced. Service was good. Waitress was pleasant just very busy. Had a nice bottle of Malbec for $34. $19.99 fixe price dinner was plenty of food. Would return next time we are in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieDined on 6/4/2014This is a real deal in the Theater District. The food's delicious and the service is pleasant and quick. I highly recommend Cara Mia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Very conveniently located to the theater district. Nice neighborhood feel. My second time there and my meals, as well as my friends, were all great.Special Features:
- Great pre-theater spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014Great food and won't break the bank. Very close to Broadway shows too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for post matineejlminvVIPDined on 5/28/2014Food was okay. Service was good. Very quiet. Cute receptionistSpecial Features:
- The following 1195 reviews are from the Cara Mia reviews archive.
- A favorite since they opened!QualityFrugalityVIPDined on 5/19/2014It's a great spot for pre-theatre and just for really good Italian food! Out of town guests always ask to go back. It's not fancy, it's affordable - and the food is great! Go - and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food good service great priceIn2foodDined on 5/14/2014We were seated at our reservation time and promptly received water and a basket of delicious bread with dipping oil. The menu was extensive and reasonably priced for the high quality delivered. Everything served piping hot. Highlights were the eggplant parm, mixed mushrooms with tagatelle pasta and the tilapia from the prixfix menu. Service was excellent and attentive. I would be a regular if I lived in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!BergerDined on 5/11/2014One of our favorite places to eat when we're in the city to see a show - we're never disappointed! Grazie!Special Features:
- Pre theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2014Overall a good place to eat before a show. The services was fine but nothing special. Charged my for a refill on club soda.....okay it's the city but at least tell me there are no refills please.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and super food!PastaPrincessDined on 5/2/2014I ate at Cara Mia with my friends for the first time on Friday night. At first I was nervous because the waitress messed up the drink order and we had to start over, but other than that it was a great experience. A little noisy because of the location....a lot of screaming ambulances and cop cars, but it added to the ambiance! Beautiful interior. Food was quite good. I got the fusilli with broccoli rabe and sausage and it was delicious. Friends got the chicken dinner special and the portions were enormous. I thought the bill was a little high, but overall, a great night and I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2014Had limited time to eat before a play. Was wonderful.Special Features:
- NfussyDined on 4/23/2014Enjoyed birthday lunch for my daughter'sbirthday.staff was very engaging,especiallyVictoria Might be backnext weekwithfriends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- was okcherluiVIPDined on 4/22/2014Was hoping to find a cozy neighborhood casual restaurant. It sort of came close. Food was OK. Service was good.
- Be Very Hungryjwhit5Dined on 4/20/2014The food at Cara Mia is served in LARGE portions I could have easily been satisfied with an appetizer and salad. The roasted calamari with mushroom appetizer is superb. The asparagus risotto was slightly overcooked, but nothing to affect the taste or enjoyment. The decor is pleasing and not too noisy, which is appreciated. The wait staff is efficient although not chatty whatsoever. My one complaint is the somewhat skimpy wine pour - not even half a glass.Special Features:
- Fine food fastjoveDined on 4/12/2014Great food (green pastas w/ lobster and chicken parmigiana) both excellent. Food warm when presented. Service fast for a crowded restaurant pre-theatre. Staff polite, efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to Cara Mia severalkspurloDined on 4/11/2014I've been to Cara Mia several times while in the city but this time was disappointed. So stuffed in between tables could not hear my dinner companion during conversation. Always loved the tomato appetizer they brought to table on past visits. Was told they no longer offer it. :( Waitress had more tables than she could wait on in a timely manner. Food was good but not great as in the past.
- Outstanding. We dine hereJeffDined on 4/9/2014Outstanding. We dine here every time we visit New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre crowdOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2014I tried to take a colleague here for a business lunch. Unfortunately the restaurant was packed with seniors that looked like they were going to a matinee. The restaurant was loud but not in a fun energetic way. There was a constant buzz of annoying people talking too loud about their medical conditions. I think I saw your great aunt Patty there with all of her bridge friends.
- Great valueVizfromMADined on 4/5/2014My wife and our son and I went to dinner before seeing a show around the corner. The food was excellent and great for the price. Our service was friendly and prompt but we never felt rushed. We really enjoyed Cara Mia and would highly recommend it for Italian food and wine.Special Features:
- Delightful Cozy SpotRainbow3feVIPDined on 3/30/2014This lovely restaurant has fresh pastas, delicious fish and wonderful salads. It is perfect for a Prix -Fixe Pre-Theatre dinner.Special Features:
- I Don't Get ItFTCNYCVIPDined on 3/29/2014Usually I agree w. OT reviewers & many gave good reviews . 1 in our party liked it previously. Me, not so much. Cesar salad=paltry dry croutons (generous cheese) and thin dressing. Calamari =overcooked. Clams oreganoata=huge a'la 1960I Italian restaurant. Mushrooms lead one to believe "hey they know what they are doing". The papparadella w/mushrooms looked great but were awful - huge mixed cooking. Worst ($26) lamb shank-from a jar? previously frozen? NO WAY it was fresh + runny polenta. FULL CONSENT, went to 4:00 show @ Ziegfield and ended up here on a Sat. night ) pre theater without thinking -Perhaps they take pre theater shortcuts? who wants to go to a place that takes shortcuts. Good bones - no clue whats happening.Special Features:
- Deliciouswiltonmom2014Dined on 3/28/2014We've been going to this restaurant for years. The food is always delicious, and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, pre-theatre, neighborhoodJanieDined on 3/26/2014Good, pre-theatre, neighborhood Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater perfectCityGalVIPDined on 3/25/2014The waiter was attentive and timed the meal beautifully for the 7pm curtain to follow. Fennel salad is delicious with the right balance of flavors, artichoke salad is a delicious antipasti. Good sized main plates to share, the mushroom risotto is top notch. Great place to begin a night at the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great experience.ShellygirlDined on 3/22/2014Food was very plain...lacked seasoning. Salads were ok. Service was rushed...couldn't enjoy the meal if I wanted to. Front door was open through the entire meal and it was very drafty and cold. Just not a good experience.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/21/2014I happened upon this restaurant during a last minute search to have dinner before going to a play. I was surprised I was able to get a reservation as everything is the area was booked. The host was very nice and sat me immediately. Within 10-15 minutes the place was completely full. We had the calamari and a special appetizer of fresh mozzarella, peppers, prosciutto and bruschetta. The special app was really good. It was very fresh, large in portion to share. The calamari was good but nothing special. I had the chicken parm w spaghetti which was good. Extremely large portion. I even shared with my friend and still had food to take home. My friend had the stuffed chicken w asparagus which was very nice. Would definitely come again.Special Features:
- Had early dinner with my momOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2014Had early dinner with my mom after a show. Cozy atmosphere, attentive but not overbearing service. Delicious homemade tortellini with a beautiful, not overly thick or rich cream sauce, generous portion sauteed spinach. Saw several other entrees come out and all looked spectacular. Smells from kitchen enter dining room got you ready to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good basic Italian food...GloBoDined on 3/18/2014Excellent location for pre-theater dinner. good basic Italian food. Large portions. Two had pork Saltimboca, one Rigatoni and the fourth Eggplant with a side of pasta. Eggplant would benefit from mozzarella or ricotta and more sauce but tasty. All well prepared. Outstanding fresh oysters at $1 each and good but moderate portion of Caesar Salad in the bargain $20 two-course prix fixe dinner. Good creme brule. Adequate, not exceptional, cappucino. All fine....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the waitress was a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2014the waitress was a little "pushy", but the food, the wine and overall service was very good, and the prices are reasonable.
- Romantic and Cozy Italian GemReviewer1Dined on 3/13/2014This was a yelp find and I'm so glad we found it! We were looking for a nice, semi-romantic, delicious, and not-too-expensive Italian restaurant in this general neighbourhood, and this was the perfect place. Delicious complimentary fresh bread (foccacia was wonderful!), and after we had decided what we were going to order (which was a tough choice because there were so many great options!), we heard the specials and ended up ordering one of those (ricotta ravioli with asparagus and peas in pink vodka sauce). The caprese salad appetizer and Caesar salad were great too! Such friendly and attentive service, lovely ambiance, and a cozy feel. Not too busy but not deserted. A gem, for sure. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre experienceMiekeStlDined on 3/8/2014Small, charming Italian restaurant. Rushed service, but that was good for us since we were going to the theatre. If you want a more relaxed meal I would recommend going after 7:30pm. No bar to speak of, if you are waiting for a table or the rest of your party you have to wait standing outside. They were very gracious to me and let me sit at a table at 6:30 pm, even though reservation was for 6:15pm, and my party still hadn't shown up. Pasta was excellent, and so was the salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.