Basho Japanese Brasserie
1338 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Basho Japanese Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bashosushi.com/
- Phone: 6172621338
- Hours of Operation:
Basho temporary new business hours:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 4:30PM-11:30PM
Dinner : Friday-Saturday 4:30PM-12:30AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offering catering for private and corporate Events. Please call the restaurant for further information and details.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining options from 10-50 guests.
18% gratuity is included for parties of six or more people.
- Private Party Contact: Carina Wong 6172621338
A word from Basho Japanese Brasserie
Basho is a Japanese word that is roughly translated as "location" or "a space where activities occur". It could be a family gathering, socializing with friends, or a business event; moreover, it could be the setting for an unforgettable experience. We call this setting "Basho". Basho is a contemporary Izakaya brasserie. Here, dishes are prepared in three separate areas: the principal kitchen, the sushi bar, and the robata grill. Rather than offering individual starters and main courses, Basho serves dishes that are designed for sharing and are brought to the table steadily and continuously throughout the meal. Your server will be happy to assist you in choosing a menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Basho Japanese Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (16)fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (7)great for lunch (7)romantic (6)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Japanese and SushiKennVIPDined on 10/13/2013Just wonderful and innovative sushi around the corner from Fenway park. Large, fresh, modern and ponderous area does not take away from the quality of this unique sushi experience. It somehow adds to it. Great! Terrific serving and management staff.Special Features:
- Great find for a tasty andTable3restaurantgroupDined on 10/12/2013Great find for a tasty and healthy alternative before heading to Fenway Park ...which is just steps away. Service and sushi were great. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place - friendly, authentic,tjjeVIPDined on 10/4/2013Great place - friendly, authentic, wonderful. Highly recommended to anyone that loves Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent andPaulVIPDined on 9/24/2013The food was excellent and beautifully presented. The waitress could not have been nicer or more helpful. The ambience, which could have been very nice, was dreary and depressing because the lighting is so poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basho is the most creativeRichVIPDined on 9/19/2013Basho is the most creative of sushi restaurants in Boston, while remaining faithful to Japanese traditions, and its thriving dining room shows the customer response. An alternative to the pub theme that's up and down Boylston in the Fenway Park neighborhood. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ditto, and more "Energetic" laterRichVIPDined on 9/12/2013I've commented and complimented above. Ditto. My only change re this visit is that, in going later in the evening, I'd characterize the noise level as "Energetic".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again...RichVIPDined on 9/10/2013I returned again. My review is the same as the "big and small" above. Super service. As I said above, my server passed by several times (without needing to stop), but his purpose was clear. I will add that the server who had been mine before, but wasn't this time, specially came over to greet me. I am no VIP! Very sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfuljrsaDined on 9/7/2013Great menu and really fresh and elegant plates. Always delicious!Special Features:
- Great food!marcoVIPDined on 9/1/2013This place was amazing! Great food, drinks and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi, service strugglestecrunnerVIPDined on 8/30/2013We've had an early dinner twice now at Basho, on the way to Fenway for a concert and then a Sox game. The food itself is very good. We've tried the sushi, tempura, hand rolls, all of which were made with very fresh ingredients, well prepared, and arrive to the table still hot (for the hot dishes). The servers were all pleasant, knowledgable, but struggle with the kitchen. Wait times are erratic. The biggest barrier to this being a better overall dining experience is the menu itself. A sprawling, confusing combination that spreads across eight pages. I would recommend for the food, proximity to Fenway for pre-game / event nights. Be prepared to allow extra time for the service and for interpreting the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome TimeKdormeusDined on 8/29/2013The staff at Basho was sooooo nice. They worked with my group and catered to out every need. I had a rather large reservation for 20 and unbeknownst to me there was a Red Sox game that night. My reservation was for 8:45. Parking was horrendous and we weren't able to get into the restaurant as a whole group until about 9:30. They held our reservation and were so kind. The drinks were so good and the sushi was phenomenal! Our waiters were so nice and really made my birthday dinner awesome. All in all, I had a great experience at Basho! I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sushi rice and the differentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2013The sushi rice and the different Basho sauces were superb! The rice was fluffy and not pressed down (the worst thing a sushi chef could ever do is presh hard on sushi rice) and seasoned just right. Everything was very fresh and good choices on the menu for a variety. We tried the Robata grill and Tempura a la carte and I love how they were small portions and we could choose the different pieces. Service was also very good, the server was very attentive and knew the menu well. Really enjoyed the whole experience. I would have given 5 stars, but the decor was a little drabby with office-like furniture, but nonetheless, the food outshined the whole dining experience! Definitely going back again to try others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous presentation of thePugs1126Dined on 8/14/2013Gorgeous presentation of the sushi. Friendly and helpful waitress. I was kind of disappointed of their sake selection. They didn't have a lot to chose from and they were very expensive. Really nice ambience. I would definitley go back if I was in the Fenway area and wanted sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abysmal servicePucksterAndMomDined on 8/6/2013Waitress works in a Japanese restaurant and looks distinctly Asian/European mix. Customer orders dishes using their proper Japanese name. Waitress glares at customers, harshly admonishing them: "don't talk to me using Japanese words. I'm Russian!" Seemed a bit harsh.Special Features:
- Fantastic Experience!NefPopDined on 7/24/2013This was my second time coming to Basho (first time was pre-renovation), and I was very happy with both experiences. Although my first visit was excellent, this second time was even better. We shared the Sashimi Dinner, Tropical Sunset Roll as well as the Tuna, Spicy Tuna and Spicy Salmon Maki Rolls. The Sashimi Dinner is well worth the price and this by far one of the best Sashimi assortments that I have ever had, the quality and freshness of the fish was fantastic! Surprisingly the more expensive Tropical Sunset Combo Roll was not as flavorful as I thought it would be, however the less expensive Spicy Tuna and Salmon were AMAZING, especially for being a "simple" roll. I reccomend splurging on Sashimi then save with the Maki Rolls!Special Features:
- I went with a group of 3 otherOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/9/2013I went with a group of 3 other friends and we ordered some sashimi and a bunch of rolls. There really wasn't a single roll that we didn't like, which is pretty impressive. The best, in my opinion, was the red spider roll. The restaurant itself, however, was pretty empty, despite having a relatively trendy vibe. Not sure if this was just because it was a Tuesday night. Overall, it's a great spot for sushi, but you may want to look elsewhere if you're interested in a good scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointedvegasis2funDined on 7/4/2013I was disappointed with this restaurant which was very unfortunate because I had been wanting to dine here for quite some time. The food was not the issue as much as the service. We were the only ones in the restaurant at the start of lunch so we decided to move from a table to sit at the bar. The bartender was not attentive, we had to ask for menus, ask for drinks etc...when the food came it was OK, nothing spectacular. I was very put off by the bartender's lack of enthusiasm for his job....it was not like he was busy, we were the only ones there. I would not go back to this restaurant based on the experience I had.
- Overpriced, but good sushiBostonGurlVIPDined on 6/30/2013Basho is an establishment at which to find consistently good sushi and mixed drinks. Their prices are high for what you get, which is likely why the restaurant business seems to be slowing over the past year -- it was nearly empty on this visit. But, if you are in the neighborhood and are willing to pay the prices, you will get good sushi at Basho.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively Sushi PlaceXavierVIPDined on 6/26/2013Had always had Basho sushi at the cafeteria in my office but had never made it to their restaurant- it was great surprise: better choices, good quality food and a kicker lychee martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced but good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2013I lived in the huilding when this place first opened, and I must say that they have come a long way in terms of service and ambience. Although still overpriced, their sushi is decent and menu is quite extensive. Great drinks and their remodeling makes the place look less like a huge open warehouse. I would suggest more specials, or perhaps appy-hour of something because for a saturday evening when they recommended reservations, the place was less than half full and the music was dull. The Citizen's Pub next door, however, was hopping! I can afford the sushi, but I would rather go to Cambridge or over to Ma Soba near MGH for the taste, price, and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2013our family of 7 often celebrates special occasions at BASHO. The food is delicious, fun to share, and we always enjoy ourselves.Special Features:
- Great SushiBostonAASVIPDined on 6/1/2013This place always puts out amazing sushi, fresh and delicious! Everyone is so nice!Special Features:
- sushi quality good but notOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2013sushi quality good but not exceptional. too light on the wasabi. (sushi for gringos) service very solicitous and helpful
- Great sushiJJCADined on 5/29/2013Stylish Japanese restaurant with tasty sushi delights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi, quaint interiorsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2013My wife & I stopped in for a quick bite, and we just got a few items of sushi. The sushi was excellent, but I'd like to go back for the grilled items which are rarely offered at most Japanese restaurants. One of the biggest items is the validated parking in which parking is extremely costly in the Fenway area. To be able to park in that area for $4 is a true find especially if you go to a baseball game afterwards.Special Features:
- I'll be back!EmilyandSeanVIPDined on 4/27/2013I can't believe it took me so long to try Basho! I would happily eat here once a month, or once a week if I could afford it :) The sushi was as tasty and beautiful as any I've had from Fugaku or other reliables in the area, sake was delish (although slightly pricey), the place is hip and pretty to look at and HUGE - good to know for last minute big groups. Our waitress was so sweet and personable, great sense of humor and on the ball. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Wait staff very well informedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/26/2013Wait staff very well informed regarding special dietary needs. Food a little bland.Special Features:
- Disappointing. Overall theJimHDined on 4/7/2013Disappointing. Overall the food looked good. We had the agedashi tofu and the torched salmon salad, they were good, nothing special but good. The salmon salad were rolled up little balls, not the "salad" I was expecting, but still not bad. Combination roll, the "Basho Roll" was next. Same thing, good but not great and the rice was clumped together. Anyone who knows good sushi knows the preparation of the rice is essential to the meal. It should be separate slightly while still holding it's form, not too sticky nor to dry, not easy to do properly, in other words, slightly sticky grains of rice that are gently pushed together. This rice was not even close. Entrée was the grilled salmon Teriyaki which was a little dry and too sweet.
- They couldn't handle the volumeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/5/2013They couldn't handle the volume of people in their restaurant. Took 20 minutes to be seated with a res and at that only to a high top. Server almost had an emotional break down. Will go back due to good food and proximity, but real terrible job on the service this time around.
- Excellent food and servicestevegVIPDined on 3/29/2013Excellent food and service. Been here many times. Never disappointsSpecial Features:
- Great date-night location!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Planning a night out for my girlfriend's birthday, I went for Basho. It had a great sushi menu, with some really interesting rolls. The parking garage they advertise validation for was not visible from Boylston st., and it was actually closed. Basho was very nicely decorated, and the hostess sat us right away. The only take-aways were the uneven table (which I swapped) and the almost cramped spacing between tables (there was a large party right behind me). Otherwise, the night went well. Our waitress was very attentive and informative. The sushi was exceptional, with some combos I hadn't seen before (I recommend the California tempura roll - amazing). We will definitely be returning, albeit seated bar-side. Great sushi, good value!Special Features:
- I enjoyed the cherrystoneOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/9/2013I enjoyed the cherrystone ginger soup, the kobe beef, the california roll, the basho roll, the seaweed salad, and the wine. Our server, Bailey, was attentive and friendly. The water was refilled promptly. The presentation was lovely. Everything was delicious and fresh. I will be returning to Basho when I want another classy sushi experience. Thank you.Special Features:
- Not as good as I expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Not as good as I expected. Seating is too close to each other.
- Had a nice meal. Really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013Had a nice meal. Really enjoyed the robata grill menu items. Sushi rolls were good and udon noodles very tasty. Spicy edamame was a great appetizer. And our waitress was fantastic with recommendations. Unfortunately, we had a table near the windows, and it was very cold, which really did affect our experience. Many diners around us even kept jackets on. I would go back, but never again between the months of November and March.
- It was ok. Staff was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013It was ok. Staff was very friendly but I guess I was hoping for a better food selection from the menu.
- This was our 3rd visit andsy19546Dined on 2/2/2013This was our 3rd visit and first since they downsized. Seating felt better. Food was excellent thanks
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/25/2013Selection and presentation of food was really top class. The cocktails were pleasantly dry and not too sweet!Special Features:
- excellent mealstevegVIPDined on 1/19/2013Really like this restaurant. Food and service are excellent. Very well run. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Terrific food. InventiveEnnaDined on 1/17/2013Terrific food. Inventive dishes. My only complaint, and this is the forth time I have been there, is the lighting. It is so dim and indirect that one can't see the menu. Bring a flashlight if you wish to read the menu!Special Features:
- Was nicely quiet when I wasmrpeabodyVIPDined on 1/13/2013Was nicely quiet when I was there . Service and food were very good. Nice varietySpecial Features: