Basho Japanese Brasserie
1338 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Basho Japanese Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bashosushi.com/
- Phone: 6172621338
- Hours of Operation:
Basho temporary new business hours:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 4:30PM-11:30PM
Dinner : Friday-Saturday 4:30PM-12:30AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offering catering for private and corporate Events. Please call the restaurant for further information and details.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining options from 10-50 guests.
18% gratuity is included for parties of six or more people.
- Private Party Contact: Carina Wong 6172621338
A word from Basho Japanese Brasserie
Basho is a Japanese word that is roughly translated as "location" or "a space where activities occur". It could be a family gathering, socializing with friends, or a business event; moreover, it could be the setting for an unforgettable experience. We call this setting "Basho". Basho is a contemporary Izakaya brasserie. Here, dishes are prepared in three separate areas: the principal kitchen, the sushi bar, and the robata grill. Rather than offering individual starters and main courses, Basho serves dishes that are designed for sharing and are brought to the table steadily and continuously throughout the meal. Your server will be happy to assist you in choosing a menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Basho Japanese Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (6)romantic (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- awesome placeSteveVIPDined on 4/2/2014best sushi and every dish is awesome!!!!!!!Its a must try place...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Japanese FoodJoshVIPDined on 3/31/2014If you're looking for a very good Japanese place where you can sit down for a nice dinner, this is it. The place itself has a great feel- comfortable but still classy, it feels updated and modern. The food was pretty good. The service was outstanding. Used the groupon deal to overcome a bit pricey food but nonetheless definitely would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hands down my best experience yet.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014They really exceeded my expectations this time. Everything was deliciously perfect Thank you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi in Fenwayluv2brewDined on 3/28/2014We went for a family occasion and the sushi selection to be good, but somewhat ordinary. The 'special' rolls were not very special compared to other sushi places I have been, however the prices were reasonable overall and the fish was fresh and generally flavorful. Our waitress seemed to be a bit disorganized and uninformed, as she had to be asked twice for certain information (like what's on the sushi/sashimi platter) and a couple of items. Overall, it was a good, but average sushi experience. The place was quite noisy (it was a Friday evening), but we were able to converse pretty well. They validate parking, which is a HUGE benefit in Boston, and I really appreciated it. If I were in the neighborhood looking for sushi, I would go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was atrocious (I thinkmizslayerDined on 3/23/2014Service was atrocious (I think we had a newbie which is fine) but our food and my drink were timely and delicious. I ordered the Snapdragon - YUMMO! Place has a modern setting. The sushi bar was beautiful and the booths looked comfy. Will definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A staple reataurauntMaAbDined on 3/23/2014We love this place and go about twice per month. My favorite is the crunchy roll. It's a bit pricey compares to some smaller sushi places but the quality is worth it. We always get the same 4 rolls! Recently they changed their sweet potato tempura roll for the worse biy you can ask for it the old fashion way and get big twmpura'd chunks instead of soggy fries in your roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!SteveVIPDined on 3/22/2014Excellent sushi and awesome service. This Place has the best food and we have been going here for years.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better all the TimeLeFromagerVIPDined on 3/21/2014Excellent food and service. On the prepared food side, cudos to the black cod appetizer and the grilled spicy duck skewers. On the raw fish side, the chu-toro sashimi is exceptional and I appreciate the the large, mouthwatering, buttery pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was not hotpetercVIPDined on 3/1/2014Our meal was reasonably good but the cooked items were not served hot enough (we had uncooked sushi as well which was fine). Our waitress took our dish back to be re-heated.
- A ClassicLuvmesushiDined on 2/14/2014Living in the area we are always here. The service is great and I am always very pleased with the food. The Phoenix Roll is an absolute must as well as the seafood salad! I recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service; very fastulziiDined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I ate there for Valentines. It was very good. Food was good and the ambiance on the top the romantic theme they had made the evening pretty special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food ok servicefoodie1987Dined on 2/8/2014My fiance and I have eaten at Basho before and loved it. The only thing that wasn't that great was the service, the host was kind of akward when we mentioned the new setup and the waitor left us with no drinks for at least 10 minutes (no water, nothing). I was super thirsty and couldn't seem to grab hold of him to at least get a water. Other than that the food is always great and we enjoy the upscale atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New find for meSuzieVIPDined on 2/7/2014Basho will be part of my go to list for Japanese. Very happy with Duozo, Oishi, OYA. Basho is most like Duozo … in atmosphere. Food was uniformly good. Not fabulous, but solidly good.
- Interesting range of choicesSuzanneDined on 1/31/2014Basho has a range of Japanese and fusion options that goes well beyond your average "Japanese" restaurant in the US. The sushi was fresh and there were some inventive rolls. The robatayaki was good (not great), and there were some delicious menu items with yuzu and shiso that were a pleasure. Overall a nice meal with good service and a fun vibe.Special Features:
- Super Sushi spotdiningcatDined on 1/28/2014This was my first time at Basho but definitely will not be my last! The offerings were so creative and beautifully presented -- and tasted incredible! Our server was really knowledgeable about all of the things on the menu, so could truly answer questions about the food. This is a great place to go for a special night, but also I think you could just dash in on a weeknight when you want to satisfy the urge for super sushi. We were told that reservations are a must on the weekends. There is also a separate area that can be used for a large group. I love this restaurant!Special Features:
- I wrote a review the lastOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/27/2014I wrote a review the last time I dined at Basho (just a couple of week's ago), and I can report that the service is still at a good level (much better than in years past). It seems as though they have a new management team and have hired qualified waitstaff...you can definitely tell the difference! As for the food, that is still quite good...no change there.Special Features:
- Best sushi plusstevegVIPDined on 1/25/2014We have been to Basho many times and really enjoy this restaurant. The sushi, rolls, etc. are very fesh and well prepared, great variety and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Awesome!PaolatinaDined on 1/24/2014Unbelievable food and service. Can't wait to go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun 3 Months-Belated Bday DinnerJimmySFoodIdkDined on 1/24/2014Two people and I took our friend out to Basho for a surprise birthday dinner. It was solid. Basho's food was very good. Three of us ordered ramen (vegetable, duck, and pork), while the friend we took out got fried rice. Each order was solid. On the side I got a piece of toro. Very nice. The service was solid, especially considering how we ordered a surprise cake (cheesecake harumaki) for our friends. Ambience was alright. Dimmed lights were eh. Overall a nice night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third Time There, Consistently GoodFenwayResidentDined on 1/18/2014Third time to Basho. Food has always been consistently good. Will be back again.Special Features:
- significant improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/18/2014While I don't think that the service was bad the past couple of years, there definitely seems to be a significant improvement. Our waitress was completely on top of things - very much present but not intrusive. The hostess station seemed very organized - there just seems to be a better air of energy and control.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food-inconsistent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/15/2014We have eaten at Basho at least a dozen times. Knowing that it is a sister restaurant to Douzo in Back Bay, you would expect comparable food and service. The food is always excellent, the service is inconsistent. Our waitress appeared stressed by the larger parties, or just annoyed. The manager on duty, extremely impersonal.
- On Wednesday's, the restaurantCarolVIPDined on 1/8/2014On Wednesday's, the restaurant has "painting night" - they use a microphone and the entire restaurant is noisy and disruptive. Certainly not a night to go for a great dinner with friend.
- Competent; appetizers best choiceSavvydinerVIPDined on 12/31/2013We came here for sushi , however the outstanding feature of our dinner were the appetizers. The eggplant braised in red miso melted in our mouths and had a garlicky/sweet undertone. Yummy! The baked scallop and black tobiko in a spicy mayo app was wonderful as well. The grilled asparagus, while done to perfection, was just "straight up", so to speak. Unfortunately, the sushi, which we had made with brown rice was subpar...the rice was ice cold and made for an even harder texture than normal. Not yummy and not a nice texture. Too bad!I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around first rate restaurantFoodieDined on 12/20/2013We had some unusual and delicious dishes. Service was outstanding as was everything else in the restaurant.Special Features:
- QualityhahnjDined on 12/13/2013Overall the night was amazing. The quality in all regards was absolutely top notch stuff especially from the server, however, the sushi is not to be forgotten about quickly. My only issue with the evening was that the lights kept changing brightness multiple times. Other than that, again, the quality of both food and service were amazing and I plan on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quality food and servicemrpeabodyVIPDined on 12/13/2013Great variety and superb quality sushi served by attentive waitstaff. Ambiance was wonderful for a romantic or casual night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service slowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013Service was super slow especially since we only ordered drinks and sushi. We had to ask for things multiple times, seems like they could have used more servers.Special Features:
- Awesome as AlwaysLiaEVIPDined on 11/23/2013I think its some of the freshest Sushi in Boston! Service is always on point and renovation looks amazing! Keep going back.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2013The service and food continue to be great. I've never had any complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BAD SERVICE - GREAT FOODJenSVIPDined on 11/16/2013I have been to Basho twice now and each time the food is outstanding but the service is just subpar. The waitress and the manager could not describe the wine on the menu. So I ordered a cocktail, my second drink was the incorrect drink then after eating we waited 17 minutes for anyone to come over to us to ask if we wanted anything else to eat, dessert or even refill our water.... NO ONE CAME. We probably could of walked out and no one would of noticed. Needless to say we ate our dessert at another establishment. However the food is just so good, I havent had a bad item yet on the menu. If you are patient enough I would recommend this place.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2013The server really knew her stuff. She recommended the fried avocado tempura and it was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only thing better thanOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2013The only thing better than the sushi was the service. We showed up the night the Red Sox won the world series and the place was packed. We had reservations for 4 but ended up with 5 in our party. Even though they were full, they made room for all of us and could not have been more gracious about it. I will definately go back any time I am in the Fenway area.Special Features:
- Outstanding Japanese CuisineChasDined on 10/30/2013Basho Japanese Brasserie is a Fenway gem. Outstanding food and drink across the board. The sushi and sashimi are incredibly fresh and creatively prepared. Best Tempura I have ever had. Awesome service. I just love the place. I have seasons tickets to the Sox and would not eat anywhere else before a game.Special Features:
- Great ecperience!NikkiDined on 10/26/2013I recently went to Basho for a bachelorette dinner and we all had a fabulous time. The service was outstanding. We were greeted by the manager when we arrived and were promtly seated in the dining area. Our waitress was very attentive and gave us great service all night.Special Features:
- SolidSuperiorDined on 10/26/2013This was my fourth or fifth time here since it opened a couple of years ago and it continues to impress, although not as much. In the past, all the food dazzled, but I think the quality may have declined slightly. We ordered a couple of specialty rolls, and the most memorable was the one with soft shell crab. The other two were ordinary. The gyoza appetizer was excellent. The vegetable fried rice with chicken was was way too salty. Server was very pleasant and eager to please.Special Features:
- food is good but the servicelynnVIPDined on 10/24/2013food is good but the service can be sketchy because of the kitchen. I guess everything is cooked to order and the patron should be advised if it is a game nite and timing is important.Special Features:
- Reserv doesn't = dining room tableoperaloverVIPDined on 10/19/2013If you expect to be seated at a regular table in the dining room, beware. This restaurant has high chair tables near the bar and considers them appropriate for reservation seating. Be sure to specify in your reservation which type of table, if either, you prefer.
- Really a pleasureDoctorSDined on 10/19/2013We identified Basho online as being a place close to Fenway so we could eat prior to the Sox winning the pennant. We thought the menu looked good and, having some real "foodies" in the group, we were concerned about quality. No reason to worry at all. The menu is widely varied and my friend, who has traveled extensively in Vietnam and SE Asia, was able to request special preparations without any worries. Our server was really sweet, prompt, had excellent suggestions and was as knowledgeable as anyone I've met. She is Vietnamese and humored us by pretending to understand my friend's probably less-than-perfect Vietnamese speaking attempts. The octopus ceviche, duck teriyaki, soft shell crab tempura and the otoro all stood out! Great!!Special Features:
- awesomesaphVIPDined on 10/18/2013The food was delicious. I'd would definitely go back. Our waiter started out on a good foot but then we had to ask other waiters for help because he took way to long for service (kept disappearing). Other than that, great place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.