1443 P St. NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.commissarydc.com/
- Phone: 2022990018
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9am - 4pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11am - 5pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ben Tenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andy Phan for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Andy Phan 2026179869
- Special Events: Contact Andy Phan, Events Coordinator, email@example.com
- Cross Street: Between 14th & 15th
- Public Transit: From Dupont Circle: Walk 5 blocks east on P St. Commissary in on P St. between 15h and 14th.
From U Street/Cardozo: Walk 6 blocks south on 13th St. Take a right and walk one and a half blocks west on P St. Commissary is on P St. between 14th and 15th.
From McPherson Sqaure: Walk 7 blocks north on 14th St. Take a left on P St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 15th & Massachusetts, southwest corner: Monday to Friday, 6 am – 12 am. Closed weekends. $12; 1 Thomas Circle (on M Street): Monday to Friday, 7 am – 8 pm. Closed weekends. $13; Holiday Inn on Thomas Circle: 24 hours, 7 days. $13; Colonial Parking: P St. btwn 14th & 15th next to Lululemon. Washington Plaza – 14th and M Streets
A word from Commissary DC
Commissary is a very casual cafe, lounge, liquor, beer and wine bar as well as a coffeehouse and smoothie bar. We serve breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, snacks and a huge selection of desserts. We have a lounge area, outside cafe, strong take-out presence and free wi-fi. We offer a diverse, simple and inexpensive menu; from breakfast all day to Sandwiches, Salads and Pizza all day and night and a dinner selection that kicks in at 5 PM. Wheelchair and Handicap accessible. We accommodate most common food allergies. Happy Hour is available every day from 4-7 PM at the bar and lounge and weekdays on the patio from 4-6 PM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Commissary DC reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (32)great for brunch (29)great for outdoor dining (25)great for lunch (23)fit for foodies (21)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (9)romantic (8)late-night find (7)special occasion (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Brunch spot in LoganJenniferVIPDined on 8/18/2013I've always been a big Logan Tavern brunch fan and wound up at Commissary this weekend for Sunday brunch. The wait was mere minutes. The hostesses and the wait staff were incredibly friendly. Our food was delivered promptly and everything was delicious. Both the coffee and espresso drinks were great. We ordered the potato pancakes, the egg white sandwich and the breakfast quesadilla. All were notable and we would get them again. The atmosphere was very cozy and our server did not rush us out the door. We were welcome to sit and relax and take our time which is not a guarantee with restaurants in this city. Overall a fantastic experience. We'll surely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2013Met a friend we haven't seen is about a year food was great service was great and we laughed all night long! Loved the Mac n'CheeseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family friendlyTomschoiceDined on 8/13/2013Took a young family there for linch. It was quiet enough so we could have conversation. Kid friendly menu for 2 and under.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for Brunchsbji680Dined on 8/12/2013i've gone here a bunch of times but i went for dinner for the first time with a group of others. so the good news is: fresh, local ingredents=tasty food that's for sure. and brunch has always been a favorite here. but here are the sore spots: - inspite of having reservations and arrived on time, we still waited about 10 mins. until our table was ready. - first time ever in dining out experience, my food order was wrong. i had ordered the burger salad, and got a burger with a bun instead. i know, not that big a deal so i ate it even though they offered to take it back. but c'mon, people, how do you not hear an order properly?? overall, a fun place to hang out with friends but i would only recommend for brunch.Special Features:
- Bland FoodJamieDDined on 8/12/2013Nothing had any flavor. I had to load up my chili with salt and pepper because there was no spice added. (I don't mean hot spice, I mean no spice.) My friend ordered the lamb & quinoa pita, and that was flavorless, as was my side, the bean and corn salad. I don't cook with salt, so when I'm reaching for the salt shaker you know the dish is lacking.
- good local and healthy foodrasenschachDined on 8/12/2013good local and healthy food opposite WholeFoods. Mostly saldas, sandwiches, and burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another reliable DinnerAntonioRVIPDined on 8/11/2013Like commissary a lot. Always seasonal specials and it is not too pricey for the neighborhood. Had braised brats which were fantastic. Only issue is that they squeeze you in on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for vegansOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2013This place is great and they had a lot of vegetarian and vegan options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud!Springbrook1Dined on 8/8/2013The waiter was responsive and pleasant, and the hostess made an effort to seat us at a table where the noise was not as bad.Special Features:
- Disappointing breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2013Finding a parking place right out front was exciting. I chose the Commissary as a meeting place for a breakfast with friends. We had vegetarian with us who possibly had the best meal. I was looking forward to the potato pancake addition to my eggs but although flavorful they were dry and overcooked as were my partner's potatoes. We had pretty good service but our waitress walked by numerous times without glancing at our glasses and cups. Perhaps we had the wrong meal here.Special Features:
- We had a great time at commissaryac19VIPDined on 8/4/2013We had a great time at commissary for my girlfriend's birthday brunch! They were able to accommodate our group, and were very flexible when I added a person to our party the night before. The food was delicious, and everyone was ale to find something they really enjoyed! I would absolutely come back here for brunch again, and hope to stop in for dinner some day soon as well! Thank you for a delicious memorable brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Great Pickwilli566Dined on 8/2/2013I've been to Commissary a couple of times and the quality is always consistent. Great food, good drinks and friendly service, without breaking the bank- a rare find in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A go-to place for me in theMarkNYC64Dined on 7/25/2013A go-to place for me in the Logan/DuPont area. Tonight the service was kinda slow both in the bar and the restaurant. Do yourself a favor and do NOT get the frozen mint julep. yuk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A solid experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2013We enjoyed our time at Commissary. The food was good and the wait staff was attentive. Only downside was we arrived for a 7 pm reservation on a Wednesday and was told there were no pizzas. A quarter of the menu knocked out if the box before we ever started. That was disappointing. But the food was good.Special Features:
- Hit or Missmw92Dined on 7/19/2013I live close to Commissary, and this place is definitely hit or miss. It is a GREAT location. P Street is cool, and fun, and just a nice place for a morning, mid-day, evening stroll. I would say in the past 4-5 months I have been 8+ times. Sometimes, servers are great and accommodating, food comes out hot and delicious. A few times, the servers forgot about my party of 2 and/or the food was cold, which is mainly an issue for me during breakfast when I want hot eggs and hash browns. Give it a try, if you do have an issue - the waitstaff is incredibly apologetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2013The food was good. Bar selection was good. Overall a great dinner for 3 friends catching up. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Dependable food and fair pricesNickVIPDined on 7/16/2013I always like the Commissary. The space is pleasant and -- usually -- not so noisey that you can't talk to your dinner companion. The menu is a sort of odd collection of offerings, but everythng I have had is prepared well. Also important, the prices are fair and reasonable.
- Good neighborhood restaurantmikeindcDined on 7/14/2013I've been several times. The food is consistently good but not outstanding. Nothing special about the ambience and it can be noisey. Its a good neighborhood restaurant, but would not make a trip just for it.Special Features:
- We'll go again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2013Went with a group of nine and had a GREAT time! Dishes are larger than tapas and smaller than entree size -- perfect for sharing. There's not a thing I wouldn't order again! And we sampled at least half of the menu. Outstanding: brisket sliders, green papaya ssalad, roasted brussel sprouts, quinoa salad, brie and peach salad, blackened catfish sliders, tuna tartare. Had a great waitress, very attentive. Why are there not more people here??!Special Features:
- Great food and drinksDCdinerDined on 7/3/2013The menu has a lot of options at very reasonable prices. I got the short rib grilled cheese and it was awesome. others in the group really liked the pizza. Definitely is a cool spot to hang out and have dinner/drinks.Special Features:
- Commissary comme ci comme caLWinDCVIPDined on 7/3/2013A decent enough place for lunch; convenient to where we were meeting friends for lunch. Food isn't anything I'd go out of my way to get, but it was good (although burger was overcooked, not rare as ordered).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggies!DinnerDined on 7/2/2013Casual but nice atmosphere. Goos lighting. Good healthy & vegetarian options. Friendly service. Horrible sound system which at least was turned low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but...KimberlyDined on 6/29/2013This is my second visit to Commissary. The food is good and the decor is really nice. However, I ordered two different mixed drinks (a watermelon margarita and a southern lady) and both were seriously watered down. I don't drink hard liquor often and I didn't feel a thing from two drinks? Next time, I will stick with beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine neighborhood that'sluv2eatVIPDined on 6/27/2013A fine neighborhood that's perfect for brunch, lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable neighborhood restaurantRichDined on 6/20/2013Commissary's a very steady neighborhood restaurant: good to great food, fresh and interesting, not too expensive, and a range of choices on the menu for both heavy and light eaters. It opens early and stays open late, is suitable for everything from breakfast to a late-night nosh, and has competent bartenders and friendly waitstaff. There are some comfy chairs for people who want to lounge (and they don't mind), but if you want a serious meal, the food can be quite good. I've eaten here more times in the past couple of years than at any other restaurant in DC.Special Features:
- Top of my listConciergevettedDined on 6/18/2013My first visit to D.C. I found fantaedible restaurant named Commissary. Excellent...will go back before I leave.Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/18/2013I really enjoyed dinner at the Commissary! They had a decent list of craft beer, the food was delicious, and the prices moderate. Service was friendly, helpful, and well instructed about the various dishes available. I'll make it more regular for dinner!Special Features:
- Great food, great service.rjohnDined on 6/15/2013Great food, great service. I would highly recommend the Short Rib Benedict - it was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great neighborhood spotFoodieLawyerDined on 6/7/2013The food is fresh and delicious! Try the housemade veggie burger--it's amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good if you're desperate to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/5/2013Commissary doesn't have the best food or service but its always a good backup if you're hungry and have nowhere to go in Logan Circle. I'd go there before Logan Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- getting tiredNotCsitsmaVIPDined on 5/25/2013Food was ok. Commissary has to compete with new offerings and creative menus in the neighborhood. Same old tired dishes won't keep working. There were few entree selections for dinner.
- It was a fine place. Nothinghoc42Dined on 5/18/2013It was a fine place. Nothing too exciting to write about; but I would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencehawkgirl11Dined on 5/16/2013The food was simple, but it was good and comforting. Great options for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is okmikeindcDined on 5/5/2013But I was hoping for more. Its generally a little dry I've been for brunch, lunch and dinner. I've never had anything I would even think about sending back, but nothing that I would recommend either. Its convenient and if you sit outside, its great for people watching.Special Features:
- The atmosphere is great. TheMichDined on 5/3/2013The atmosphere is great. The noise level is perfect and the lighting is really warm without it being too romantic or sleepy. I tried mac and cheese and the veggie burger, both were delicious. Drinks were excellent, they have a great list. Dessert- wasn't too impressed with the brownie sundae honestly but the ginger cheesecake was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at good pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/26/2013The Commissary, like its sibling, Logan Tavern, is a great place for a casual dinner. We usually stop by before going to the Studio Theater. The restaurant can be noisy, so an outdoors table is best if you want to spend time conversing.Special Features:
- Fun place. Outside table wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/24/2013Fun place. Outside table was perfect for people watching. However our "no worries" waitress seemed to forget about us for vast periods of time and chicken snitzel which she recommended was very, very oily. But pals were pleased with the stuffed mushrooms and brats. Serving of fish was microscopic while bread pudding portion was monstrous. I recommend but order wisely.Special Features:
- Server was wonderful, evenTeddysVIPDined on 4/24/2013Server was wonderful, even asked (after ordering) if there were any allergies to be aware of. My go-to spot for casual client lunches in that area.Special Features:
- Stopped there for dinner beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2013Stopped there for dinner before a lecture at the Carnegie Institution of Washington across the street and down a block. Arrived about 5:30PM on a Tuesday night and found not much of a crowd, nor much noise. Server was excellent--graciously accommodated a request for table change (to the lounge area, for happy hour) and a small menu substitution, served beverages and food promptly, and processed the check promptly when so requested. Veggie burger was significantly larger than the bun upon which it was served, and came with a small leaf of lettuce and a small slice of tomato, but tasted pretty good. Caesar salad with anchovies was tasty, as was my selection from what's on tap. Enjoyed the free (but slow) WiFi while waiting for food.Special Features:
- really enjoyed the food, servicejendelawareDined on 4/6/2013really enjoyed the food, service and ambiance. will definitely visit again when in the area.Special Features: