1443 P St. NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.commissarydc.com/
- Phone: 2022990018
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9am - 4pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11am - 5pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ben Tenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andy Phan for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Andy Phan 2026179869
- Special Events: Contact Andy Phan, Events Coordinator, email@example.com
- Cross Street: Between 14th & 15th
- Public Transit: From Dupont Circle: Walk 5 blocks east on P St. Commissary in on P St. between 15h and 14th.
From U Street/Cardozo: Walk 6 blocks south on 13th St. Take a right and walk one and a half blocks west on P St. Commissary is on P St. between 14th and 15th.
From McPherson Sqaure: Walk 7 blocks north on 14th St. Take a left on P St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 15th & Massachusetts, southwest corner: Monday to Friday, 6 am – 12 am. Closed weekends. $12; 1 Thomas Circle (on M Street): Monday to Friday, 7 am – 8 pm. Closed weekends. $13; Holiday Inn on Thomas Circle: 24 hours, 7 days. $13; Colonial Parking: P St. btwn 14th & 15th next to Lululemon. Washington Plaza – 14th and M Streets
A word from Commissary DC
Commissary is a very casual cafe, lounge, liquor, beer and wine bar as well as a coffeehouse and smoothie bar. We serve breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, snacks and a huge selection of desserts. We have a lounge area, outside cafe, strong take-out presence and free wi-fi. We offer a diverse, simple and inexpensive menu; from breakfast all day to Sandwiches, Salads and Pizza all day and night and a dinner selection that kicks in at 5 PM. Wheelchair and Handicap accessible. We accommodate most common food allergies. Happy Hour is available every day from 4-7 PM at the bar and lounge and weekdays on the patio from 4-6 PM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Commissary DC reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (32)great for brunch (28)great for outdoor dining (23)great for lunch (22)fit for foodies (21)kid-friendly (14)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)romantic (8)special occasion (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent ServiceLaceDined on 3/27/2014My boyfriend and I came in for an early dinner - both of us are vegan and I have some foods I can't currently consume. I asked lots of questions - which the server was able to answer with poise and to ensure satisfaction he even asked me to clarify if my avoidance was an allergy and then made appropriate changes to our dishes to accommodate that. In addition when I had called earlier in the day the person who took my call was happy to run through ingredient lists with me for different items. Thanks you for your diligence and service!
- Great waitress, cold foodMilanVIPDined on 3/23/2014Great waitress, cold food. I have been living and working in the neighborhood since opening, ate here numerous times, love the place. This time had very good waitress, very good service, but the plate came almost cold. :/Special Features:
- DRAFTYmissdriDined on 3/21/2014Only issue was when the door opens, it can make the restaurant a bit cold and drafty. Otherwise a very enjoyable lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average restaurant in Logan CircleOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/19/2014This restaurant isn't something to write home about. It's in the neighborhood but I would not necessarily seek it out otherwise.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumBirthdayDined on 3/19/2014Great first DC meal of our trip. Food was organic and filling. Service wasn't hopping, which was confusing since it wasn't packed, but we weren't put off by it.Special Features:
- Any occasionEmaclaughlinDined on 3/9/2014This was my second time at Commissary and I have to say the experience was great! The food is unique and delicious (you don't have to get small plates but they all looked great), the service is quick and the servers attentive, and I just love the ambiance. Literally nothing bad to say about it.Special Features:
- Oscar Night partyKulevyajennDined on 3/2/2014A quick stop in to watch the beginning of the Oscars and grab drinks and a bite. The staff seemed a bit overwhelmed with the full booking of the event and some were a little acerbic when requests were made. The vegetables were undercooked (difficult to bite into), but otherwise everything tasted wonderful. It was a decent evening, but it definitely felt as if they were not as prepared for the event as they could have been...Special Features:
- My new favoritekberrymaDined on 3/2/2014I loved Commissary before...but now I'm head over heels. I moved to the neighborhood last year and every time I have been to this gem, the service is impeccable, the ambiance is a perfect combo of trendy and casual, and the food is delicious. Huge portions for normal prices. I just couldnt ask for more. For the Oscar's Party - I made reservations for 10 and the staff was incredibly patient and welcoming as the party number fluctuated at least 5 times, including once after we'd already arrived. they never got flustered and treated us like we were the most important VIPs on the list. We had an amazing evening, as expected! ps. also an excellent spot to read/do work on the weekend afternoons.Special Features:
- Great for kidsBBergVIPDined on 2/15/2014This was a great choice for brunch when we had family (with their three kids) in town. Great service, good prices, and a fun/different kids menu. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food for a bar scenegvcolemanVIPDined on 2/7/2014I went to this restaurant because I wanted a quick meal before the theater and wasn't looking for anything fancy. My salmon and vegetables were surprisingly good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Excellent ServicecleetDined on 1/30/2014Good food at a very welcoming neighborhood spot. We ate there before going on to The Studio and it worked perfectly for us. Wait staff was very solicitous and friendly.Special Features:
- lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014nice menu.. mom and dad were visiting and this is where we went. very friendly server, food was good. just had burgers and quesadilla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the food at CommissaryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2014I love the food at Commissary and I go there for brunch once or twice a month so I wanted to take my family there when they visited me last weekend. They had only blocked out a 1.5 hour block for our brunch reservation and the manager came over and told us we needed to vacate the table for the next party. I thought that this reflected poor planning on the part of the restaurant and I would not recommend this restaurant for any large reservations. The food is excellent and I will probably keep going back but I definitely won't be making reservations for any group over 4.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dinner at a Great PricerajgirlVIPDined on 1/24/2014Commissary DC is like Founding Farmers without the long waits. I had dinner there with friends. We arrived half and hour before our reservation and they were able to seat us immediately. I don't think that's the norm, but it was a snowy cold night. The ambiance is nice with those 1930's-looking incandescent bulbs hanging from the ceiling. There was a cute lounge area with comfy chairs just inside the door between the bar and dinner tables. Our server, Enoch, was honest with meal suggestions and just the right level of attentive. I had a yummy bison burger. The dessert special was a TO DIE FOR salted caramel pudding that I had dreams about later. So delicious. Check this spot out next time you're in Logan Circle - I know I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice pre-theaterxnyrVIPDined on 1/14/2014We tried Commissary because our usual choice, sister-restaurant Logan Tavern was not available. Turns out Commissary provides an equally positive experience. The menu has great variety and executes it all well, from vegan lentil soup to penne with cream sauce and bacon. The wine list is surprisingly good and very well-priced. Unfortunately the wine is not properly stored which damages otherwise excellent reds. They offer wine by the glass and glass-and-a-half as well as by the bottle. Our waiter was terrific, way above the usual wait-staff in typical pubs. We had no problem getting and enjoying our food with plenty of time before our excellent show at Studio ("Tribes" - highly recommended). Very good and convenient choice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggie YumaliciousLoveWineBarsDined on 1/10/2014I'm a carnivore but what I remember most are my vegs- amazing! Brussel heaven, including the kung pao brussels, regular brussels, edamame- was hard to choose. Popcorn was amazing with a little spice. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for the whole familyBigDaddyDined on 12/22/2013Tried this restaurant for the first time with a mixed group of kids and adults including some with food allergies. Everyone had a great meal and the food and beer menu was varied and interesting .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkaySublissDined on 12/21/2013I would say all things considered this is just a so-so restaurant. Nothing particularly outstanding in any respect. Convenient to the Studio Theater. I will say it did not seem particularly clean.Special Features:
- At the recommendation of aJos23Dined on 12/18/2013At the recommendation of a friend, I dined there while visiting DC. The food was delish and the service was great. We had issue that we complained about, and the manager could not have handled the situation better!! Will definitely revisit when back in town.Special Features:
- Birthday Bruch for MelunchwithcolleaguesDined on 12/15/2013Getting together with family and friends at a spot that is eclectic is right up my alley. Food was good and priced just right. Bloody Mary was tasty and the waiter was great and attentive. We like it and will go back. Only thing is the lack of parking but it is across the street from Whole Foods, I understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place to stop when out . . .DDWDCDined on 12/14/2013The Commissary is a good place to eat. It offers a great range of food that, fit the needs of those watching and counting calories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2013Great atmosphere and service. I recommend it for a warm place to hang out. The salmon was very good but portions are very small and suffer from too much creativity and not enough quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine price mini-ShockJerryChicagoDined on 11/29/2013The food was good...great place to go if you are into mussels. The kitchen messed up our order, but it got fixed. Some accommodation in the bill would have been nice, but no. The only negative really was the price of a glass of Malbec. $14.00. Even at Le Diplomat, a pricier restaurant the Malbec was $11 for a glass. Otherwise the place was fine, and we'd go back. Especially if we were looking for mussels, which is their specialty, and are fixed in about 8 different sauces. Yum.Special Features:
- Good drinks but skip dessertChettPritchettDined on 11/24/2013Good food and good drinks, especially the seasonal variety, but my dessert was less than desired. I think they went across the street to Whole Food for the pumpkin pie.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really impressed with the fun menuEdithEatsDined on 11/16/2013I really enjoy trying new combinations of food and Commissary definitelydid not disappoint! Loved the Burger Salads and the Quinoa, Veggie, Black Bean burger. The Brussels Sprouts with Peanut Sauce were amaaazing. Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsKbindcDined on 11/14/2013Our server was on point. He suggested a great Brussels sprouts starter (which while I was not a fan, the table loved.) I find this to be one of the better values for money in the city. I am never disappointed, and I always have fun when there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for breakfast/bruncSooner2youDined on 11/10/2013Wonderful place for breakfast/brunch. It's best to have reservations if you're going on Sunday around 9. The place fills up fast. Food and service is top notch!! This is one of our "must do's" when in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kudos to the brussel sproutsRebeccaDined on 11/6/2013Bubba was a terrific server for our group of 10. Loved him and loved the food. The Kung Pao brussel sprouts were a special hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food, bad service, bad experienEGY1Dined on 11/2/2013Service was very poor. Our waiter had no personality, didn't offer anything to the experience, and didn't offer to take anything off our check despite two separate "spills" from his tray, one of which got cream on the side of my jacket. Combined with extremely bland and tasteless food (my daughter sent back her fish and chips; the fish was cardboard mush), I would not recomend this restaurant to my worst enemy. And with time to spare, we ordered coffee, thinking that could not be so bad, my decaf was ok, but my husband's regular was cold....waiter just took the cup away, and never said anything. Didn't even comp the coffee!
- Excellent experience at CommissaryDCEaterVIPDined on 10/30/2013I came here on a date, and had a great time! It helps to have a reservation. Our waiter was great, and attentive. The food was delicious! I would definitely consider dining here again.Special Features:
- Good Comfort Food & Good ServicePhilDined on 10/27/2013A group of very different diners enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the Commissary. From vegan to carnivore we had an opportunity to select from a wide range of dishes. Edamame, portabello mushroom, Thai ribs, nachos, pizza and salad all were sampled with good results.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual But Good Logan Circle EatIndusVIPDined on 10/26/2013Has a wide variety of american and eclectic dishes on the menu including burgers (Bison!), salads, entrees, pizzas. Great variety of beer and wine as well. Went to this place on Saturday night with a group of 5 and was seated immediately which was great. Service was great as well. The chocolate chip bread pudding is awesome btw.Special Features:
- Great Casual DiningDCVisitorDined on 10/6/2013Had dinner there with my wife and found the food and service great. The dress was very casual.It was definitely a neighborhood eatery with a college hangout flavor. Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt was dressy! I had the braised brats and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Casual Neighborhood Spotio10VIPDined on 10/3/2013I love Commissary. The menu has a little something for everyone, it has a fully stocked bar, the prices are reasonable, there's a patio, and you can either have a full-fledged meal or sit with coffee and read for hours. My favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Perfect before theater eveningmangiabeneVIPDined on 9/29/2013Great to eat outside with attentive waiter, excellent food, then to walk 1/2 block to Studio Theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotDaniVIPDined on 9/29/2013Have been to The Commissary several times now and always enjoy it. The food is great and there is always plenty to choose from at a wide range of prices and appetites. It's a nice low-key place where the servers are always cheery (and very patient with indecisive people!). The whole EatWellDC group of restaurants always seems to get it right. This is a great place to come if you're just looking for a dinner or a lunch out with friends in Logan/14th Street and not looking to shell out the area's standard prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2013Commissary it is just few block away from my home, which makes me regular (a lot) there. Service is +10 in any way. Mario bartender, on the other hand is one of unique service provider. Even if you don’t him, come see him, you will love him. Also, even in seating area you’ll be able to enjoyed happy hours with amazing service. Thank you for great and warm welcoming any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodJimmytDined on 9/21/2013I'm not a foodie, but my meal was Very good, friend had the buffalo burger and said it was outstanding.Special Features:
- Adore it!TuffcrowdDined on 9/20/2013I love coming here when I visit DC. If there were an expansion to NYC, I would change my opinion about chain restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!NicholeDined on 9/7/2013They have great food and decent (to great) service (depending on you waiter/waitress). They have great vegetarian and other food options that are always tasty. We love to bring friends to this restaurant if we are in the Logan's Circle area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.