1443 P St. NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.commissarydc.com/
- Phone: 2022990018
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8am - 5pm, Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9am - 4pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11am - 5pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5pm - 12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ben Tenner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Andy Phan for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Andy Phan 2026179869
- Special Events: Contact Andy Phan, Events Coordinator, email@example.com
- Cross Street: Between 14th & 15th
- Public Transit: From Dupont Circle: Walk 5 blocks east on P St. Commissary in on P St. between 15h and 14th.
From U Street/Cardozo: Walk 6 blocks south on 13th St. Take a right and walk one and a half blocks west on P St. Commissary is on P St. between 14th and 15th.
From McPherson Sqaure: Walk 7 blocks north on 14th St. Take a left on P St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: 15th & Massachusetts, southwest corner: Monday to Friday, 6 am – 12 am. Closed weekends. $12; 1 Thomas Circle (on M Street): Monday to Friday, 7 am – 8 pm. Closed weekends. $13; Holiday Inn on Thomas Circle: 24 hours, 7 days. $13; Colonial Parking: P St. btwn 14th & 15th next to Lululemon. Washington Plaza – 14th and M Streets
A word from Commissary DC
Commissary is a very casual cafe, lounge, liquor, beer and wine bar as well as a coffeehouse and smoothie bar. We serve breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, snacks and a huge selection of desserts. We have a lounge area, outside cafe, strong take-out presence and free wi-fi. We offer a diverse, simple and inexpensive menu; from breakfast all day to Sandwiches, Salads and Pizza all day and night and a dinner selection that kicks in at 5 PM. Wheelchair and Handicap accessible. We accommodate most common food allergies. Happy Hour is available every day from 4-7 PM at the bar and lounge and weekdays on the patio from 4-6 PM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Commissary DC reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (26)great for brunch (24)fit for foodies (22)great for outdoor dining (18)great for lunch (16)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (5)special occasion (1)Show More
- salads okay, could be zippieryummyDined on 10/21/2014Arugula salad with sun dried tomatoes sounded as though it would be yummy, and it was okay, the lemon vinaigrette was a little underwhelming. A good dash of pepper certainly did help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Veggiediners2VIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was reasonably priced and the service was average. It was the first night of serving for our server so she was slightly awkward and slow but nice. The quality of food and dessert was good. The vegan lentil soup is delicious!Special Features:
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/8/2014We met an out-of-town friend in DC for business and a great meal, a relaxed evening and a patient, capable server. One of our group was tied up at work and didn't arrive until we were almost finished but she was welcomed and served, and we continued a great evening. Well done.Special Features:
- See and be seenConnoisseurDined on 9/30/2014Great service and good sidewalk people watching. See and be seenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014The waiter was amazing. I took my visiting parents here for brunch and they very much enjoyed the food and ambiance. The peanut butter fudge cookie pie was amazing!!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spotFoodie15Dined on 9/27/2014I love Commissary, it's a great neighborhood gem with an affordable wine list and a simple but delicious menu. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Drinks - yes; dinner - noEllenVIPDined on 9/18/2014The hostess and server were pleasant and helpful. Our drinks were lovely; the wine list is short but good. The food was awful. Hangar steak was flavorless and dull in texture and the broccoli with garlic looked and tasted as if it had been boiled and then sprinkled with minced garlic from a jar. The only food we enjoyed was the truffled popcorn. So, enjoy a drink and some popcorn and then go elsewhere for dinner.
- Wonderful serviceNatashaDined on 9/15/2014Always a favorite place to meet with friends and colleagues and have some good conversation and comfort food. Oddly, this time the restaurant was out of ALL fish. Seemed strange. Settled for a burger, which was very good. Server was extremely cheerful and friendly and kept checking if everything was okay. Added a third party unexpectedly and was easily accommodated. Even got separate checks for all three of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The service we had at Commisary was fantastic! Our waiter was extremely attentive and friendly. Tony was especially kind!Special Features:
- Not quite the usual qualityNatashaDined on 9/3/2014This is one our favorite places to eat. This time was a bit disappointing, but not seriously. One order was wrong, the item was replaced, but the replacement wasn't quite cooked enough, probably in order to replace it quickly. The service was good, however, and the error was corrected with apologies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite casual hangoutNatashaDined on 8/26/2014Whenever I want to get together with a friend or colleague for a casual catchup session for business or pleasure, I pick the Commissary and request a quieter corner table. The food is good comfort food, and the service is pleasant. Never feel rushed or encouraged to free up our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got a lot wrongKikiDined on 8/22/2014I asked for no onions on my salad, it came with onions. My mother ordered a tomato and mozzarella pizza, it was really dry, more like white pizza. When my sister asked for her pork chop leftover to be packed to go without the side of spinach, which had way too much garlic, they packed the spinach too. Too loud for conversation. Not a good experience. We would not go back.
- Pretzel Crusted Fried Ice CreamBruncherDined on 8/18/2014Everything was good, but they need to bring back the pretzel-crusted deep fried ice cream. The dessert menu isn't the same without it.Special Features:
- Good ol ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014A good place when you can get in for a nice meal. Staff is extremely friendly, a nice change for the DC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Loved so much we went back next day! However the next day my husband and I ordered the same thing. Smoked salmon and poached eggs on potato pancakes. I had one little piece of salmon and my husband had a piece so large it was folded over 3 or 4 times! I suppose I could have mentioned something but we were in a hurry as we had to get on the road for a 9 hr drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner spotFoodie5Dined on 7/1/2014I ate at Commissary with my parents when they were in town. It was pretty easy to get reservations on a weeknight, even for a larger group. The food was great (try the truffle popcorn!) and the atmosphere pleasant. I have been back a few times since for drinks and it has always been enjoyable, although the happy hour doesn't seem to have the best deals.Special Features:
- Late LunchTimDVIPDined on 7/1/2014We had to find a late lunch spot and many places were closed until 5pm. We've done breakfast here before, but this was just as delicious. The Reuben was wonderful - the smoked meat was the best aspect. We really enjoyed our experience!Special Features:
- The following 289 reviews are from the Commissary DC reviews archive.
- SerendipityMealMemoriesDined on 6/25/2014I was going to Studio Theater and decided that Commissary DC was a convenient place for dinner. Neither my friend nor I had ever been there before. Everything that we ordered tasted very good, and the service could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We both agreed that this more than a good place to eat before going to Studio. It is definitely a place that we want to come back to.Special Features:
- Old favoritelamiaminiDined on 6/21/2014I recently had a perfectly cooked pork tenderloin, and my dinner companion said the hamburger was one of the best. I've been stopping at Commissary for years, usually at breakfast for the best pancakes in DC. Food is farm fresh and the service attentive. The family and neighborhood atmosphere are welcoming, even at the bar. And it's the perfect place to stop for drinks/dessert/coffee to discuss the show at the Studio Theater.Special Features:
- The sides are the attractionlogancircleIanDined on 6/16/2014While it can get loud and sometimes too dark, the side dishes and apps are quite good, while the entees are average. Do the kung pao string beans and mac and cheese or ptoato pancakes and skip the main dishes.
- Very Good BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014We enjoyed a group brunch for Father's Day and it seemed that the restaurant was set up very well to accommodate parties of 5 or more. Great food, fun atmosphere, and reasonable priced. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Join friends for dinner and drinks without breaking the bank!Special Features:
- Awesome PlaceFoodpalDined on 6/14/2014I went to Commissary DC with a couple of friends this past weekend for lunch and had a great time. The ambiance and vibe was great! Although I was on a paleo diet, there were options on the menu that I could choose from without staying hungry or feeling guilty. My friends had the bison and lamb burgers and they claimed they were exceptional.Special Features:
- Good food with good friendsartjamacVIPDined on 6/13/2014Had a great time. The waiter went above & beyond to accommodate. Thanks!Special Features:
- Not a military commissaryPointlessVIPDined on 6/10/2014In DC this marvel of consistency, brains, and panache makes it the head of its class. Our waiter was a Jonah hill wanna be, but more sincere and just a tad less funny. Only thing: "seriously get a happy hour". Duh You haven't had one for the five times we have been their. It's irritatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgersFitFoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014I ordered the veggies burger and it was one of the best I have had. All of their burgers and sandwiches looked delicious so it made deciding hard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun neighborhoodStratteryVIPDined on 6/2/2014Good selection to choose from, great food, fun neighborhood, really enjoyed the outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, accommodating staffAllyOTDined on 5/30/2014I met an old friend I'd not seen in ages at Commissary for lunch. The staff was friendly and patient with us, even as we took 15 minutes must to catch up before even looking at menus! My veggie burger was delicious, and a much larger portion than I normally see. Really enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, pleasant restauranthomerandflandersDined on 5/15/2014Pretty good place, in a great location. The food is much better than at some of the more expensive restaurants on 14th Street. The chicken quesadilla appetizer was delicious, with terrific, juicy chicken. Recommend asking for extra guacamole and sour cream. The flank steak is delicious too. The buffalo chicken salad was pretty bland. THe water comes in a big wine bottle, which is nice since you can pour it yourself. Set-up is a bit weird with a bunch of couches in the middle for lounging. OVerall, I highly recommend Commissary over some of more famous neighbors on 14th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, priced fairlyDaveDined on 5/15/2014Had a nice meal with a mixture of vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends. All liked their food but the chicken salad BLT sandwich was too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, outdoor, people-watchingFriendOfGilbertDined on 5/7/2014Great place to find inventive food, a nice outdoor terrace (not scenic, but on an energetic streetscape across from Whole Foods.) Great place to watch hipsters and young professionals.... I'd go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!FedGovEngineerDined on 5/2/2014Our waitress' service was great! She took care of us at all time, didnThe burger salad was good but I expected a little bit more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good choiceMikeDCVIPDined on 4/27/2014I have been here a number of times. Never been let down. Food is always fresh and really good. Service always does a great job.Special Features:
- All the basicsareaderDined on 4/26/2014All the basics -- burgers, fries, fried chicken, etc. A little too dark.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and comfortableEagleeyeDined on 4/24/2014Our waitress was great, the drinks were interesting and tasty, and the entrees were good ("comfort" food made of good ingredients but not exotic or unique). The tortilla chips and dessert were bright spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!AshBDined on 4/20/2014Very good food at a great price. The people are friendly and the happy hour is excellent! My friends and I went on Easter Sunday and it was quiet and open for business. Most people were sitting outside while we opted for coolness of the inside. We practically had the place to ourselves. We had a party of 7 and they accomodated us with no problems and split all of our checks.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch fun!artjamacVIPDined on 4/20/20148 of us attended brunch together. I had chorizo benedict and my partner had frittata. We enjoyed our brunch with mimosa and bloody mary. My entree was good though the bread was tough to chew. I'll definitely go here again!Special Features:
- OK but no cigarPCatVIPDined on 4/19/2014We went to Commissary specifically for their Passover meal promotion. Only after we got there, did we learn that the promotion had ended -- even though we were still within the time frame. Since we were already there, we stayed. The fried chicken would have been very nice, had it been seasoned and had they left off the strange red sauce. The waiter boxed up our leftovers and then gave me someone else's sandwich to take home, which was a bit disconcerting to say the least. I don't think I will go back.
- Reliable neighborhood hangoutNatashaDined on 4/17/2014I was meeting an old friend for an early dinner, and the Commissary offered a relaxed atmosphere in which to catch up on old times. We were eating light, so I did not get to order the more substantial comfort food favorites I usually enjoy with friends. This does not apply to this visit, but it has become increasingly impossible to book midday brunch reservations on the weekends. We have tried weeks in advance, and we cannot seem to find any openings.Special Features:
- Commisary great from aps to dessergeorgemandDined on 4/12/2014Jack our waiter was fantastic. Very attentive and knowledgable without hovering. Everything was superb from our small dish to dessert and coffee.Special Features: