Cook & Brown Public House
959 Hope Street
Providence, RI 02906Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cook & Brown Public House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cookandbrown.com/
- Phone: 4012737275x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday, Wednesday & Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar: Tuesday, Wednesday & Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar: Thursday: 5:30pm-10:00pm
Bar: Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nemo Bolin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us through our web site to set up.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for information.
- Private Party Contact: Nemo Bolin 4012737275x
- Special Events: Please contact us through our web site to set up.
A word from Cook & Brown Public House
Cook & Brown Public House is a modern, New England inspired version of a European Gastropub. This translates to a restaurant with food that is rustic in nature yet refined in technique, and service that is casual and friendly while still maintaining a high level of professionalism and polish. Cook and Brown seats 50-55 people including the bar, which acts more as a dining counter for single diners or those guests who wish for a more casual dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Cook & Brown Public House - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Cook & Brown Public House reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (19)romantic (13)special occasion (10)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- nov2hollandDined on 11/2/2013Great meal, ambiance with fantastic out of the ordinary cocktails. The noise level just at the acceptable level for us older folk with hearing issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine setting for conversationSylvanDined on 10/26/2013A friend recommended Cook & Brown when I asked about a good place for dinner and conversation and it turned out to be ideal for that purpose. The service was exceptionally considerate and helpful and the menu was varied and interesting. I would return there for similar reasons whenever in Providence again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails, foodnyerinprovidenceVIPDined on 10/19/2013Perhaps one of the best bartenders on the east coast, go for the "bartender's choice" option. Great neighborhood place, could even be worth driving a bit out of the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff concerned withFancypantsVIPDined on 10/9/2013Great staff concerned with your dinning experience. Willing to make sure the food is to your liking and will redo it if it is not. Fun tasty cocktails, nice wines and really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MixedSpikeDined on 9/29/2013Mixed review: 3 of our diners elected the chef dinner. The let it be known they are vegetarians except for fish, which they do eat. Appetizer was excellent. No one liked the main course of fried fish. ALso deep fried was the broccoli and part of the appetizer. Vegans tend be health conscious and I think it was too much fried stuff. Our 4th diner had steak, found it uninspiring but acceptable.
- Unique setting. Low key alternativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/10/2013Unique setting. Low key alternative type environment. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a DissapointmentFoodieDined on 9/5/2013I had visited this restaurant about three years ago and really enjoyed it. I decided to meet a friend here and what a HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT it was. The food was terrible and not what I remembered from my last experience. It appears as if the restaurant was managed by new owners or a new Chef. Definitely a place I would not visit nor recommend again. I'm extremely dissapointed at my experience here, after a great visit three years ago, I leave with a bad taste in my mouth, unfortunately!
- Slipped a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2013Entrees were lack luster and the flavors bland. Desserts consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodWeekendVisitDined on 8/31/2013The cocktail drinks were normal good, nothing special or unique. The food was also good, but nothing out of the ordinary, so much that I do not recall the name of the plates. It is good food, but there are definitely better options in the same range around Providence.Special Features:
- Reliably very finemoolsterDined on 8/24/2013I visit Cook and Brown fairly often since I live in the neighborhood. The food is always delicious and is often inventive. The bar manager is superb; I always name a main ingredient for my drink and ask her to improvise; the result is fantastic. My friend had a fabulous cosmo that redefined what can be a pretty boring, watered-down drink. My one wish: that one vegan option and one additional vegetarian option (there's always just one) would appear on the menu. A chef as creative as the one at C&B can do amazing things without using flesh! There are a lot of us vegetarians around these days, and some restaurants have more veg offerings. Still, I'll be back at Cook and Brown. It's too good to miss.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2013I took a friend who was visiting to dinner there this past weekend. The menu may be small but it was delicious. We split the the mussel appetizer (which was delicious!) and I had the ricotta gnocchi. It was amazing! The wait service was pretty good as well, though I thought it took awhile for our drinks to come out, given the number of people in the restaurant. However, that was a minor inconvenience. Overall we had a fantastic time and I wowed my friend with a delicious dining experience.Special Features:
- ook & Brown Public House isKBDKVIPDined on 8/23/2013ook & Brown Public House is great option to all the same old Providence places. This is better than most and a real foodie find... Worth the short ride out of downtown and away from noise of Atwells AveSpecial Features:
- Spectacular from Top to BottomOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2013My husband and I happened upon Cook & Brown while on vacation and couldn't have been more pleased. Every facet of the evening - the decor, the food, service, drinks, menu options - EVERYTHING was wonderful. One of our favorite things about the restaurant was that the passion for innovative yet delicious food and drink was evident, and the atmosphere of the entire restaurant radiated comfort and warmth. I look forward to returning!Special Features:
- has become our favorite restaurantluv2eatwellVIPDined on 7/20/2013has become our favorite restaurant !! the food is outstanding!Special Features:
- I actually expected a bit moreWinedudeVIPDined on 7/20/2013Having read many good reviews, I was expecting a place with a more intimate ambience, and a bit better food. What one finds is a simple dining room, with hardwood floors, and simple butcher block dining tables. All of the hard spaces lead to somewhat elevated noise levels. I also thought the prices were a bit high for the quality of the food ($10 for a small bowl of corn soup was ridiculous, although it was quite tasty). The cocktails we had were mediocre as well, which was a disappointment based on the way the place is known.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty as alwaysTheMacDougDined on 7/17/2013We've been to C&B many times, and the food is always top-notch. One of us had the Restaurant Week meal, the other ordered off the menu, and both were terrific. The Bluefish fritters with the horseradish aioli barely stayed on the plate, and our daiquiri was a deliciously alcoholic version of the Yacht Up soda beside it. (The Rosita we ordered later, however, was a bit on the alcoholic side - kind of like drinking jet fuel). The Fried Chicken and Bolognese plates were also amazing - you've never had such crispy, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth fried chicken. The side of greens was too bitter, but the grits and sweet pea slaw were eye-opening. One note about our Wednesday night dinner was that service was a bit on the slow and confused side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beyond my expectationwchengDined on 7/7/2013I arrived 6pm Sunday, but there is not many customers. I don't really know the menu before going there and hear the suggestions. I ordered chicken liver pate, swordfish and lemon tart, and taste of food is beyond my expectation. I shall definitely visit Cook & Brown again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating, warm, invitingTeddyeatsDined on 6/21/2013Not familiar with providence, I asked a friend where my family & I should eat on our way up to Cape Cod from NYC. He recommended this place. It was just perfect! They were friendly, attentive, and warm. An the food was just lovely. I can imagine this place as being a neighborhood staple if I lived in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant and barelainefromriDined on 6/16/2013LOVED this place and am plotting my return.There was a daily small plate list, and a seasonal menu. Food is beautifully presented and tastes even better! American cuisine with a contemporary flair. Beer list has the best of local microbrews, there is an extensive wine and an impressive selection of liquor. There are some suggested cocktails which are complex and interesting. They can make anything, usually people haven't heard of our request. Staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting cocktails/great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2013The Cook and Brown has great food, especially the appetizers and the cocktails are complex, unusual and delicious. Great wine list too. The service was great. The chicken wings were very spicy, hot and huge. Prices were very reasonable. Great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious! TheTippieDined on 6/9/2013The food was delicious! The menu is simple, yet slightly eclectic. I went on a Sunday night with a small group and it was perfect. The restaurant is small, but well laid out and making reservations online is incredibly easy.Special Features:
- Excellent Sunday supper -EastsidedinerDined on 6/2/2013Excellent Sunday supper - delicious food, enthusiastic staff - and a really well-paced meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always newAlCzervikVIPDined on 5/30/2013We had a wonderful experience at Cook & Brown. All dishes were fresh and prepared perfectly. Service and ambiance was great. Only down side is menu is a bit limited and only local sodas for non drinkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotMcChefDined on 5/18/2013Food was exceptional and reasonably priced. Waitress was a bit over anxious but other than that, great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and Innovative!lindabDined on 5/18/2013We went this weekend to celebrate my daughters graduation from college and my parents from Cape May joined us. First off, the service was terrific, attentive and we were not rushed! We wanted to relax and enjoy. The beer selection and wine selection were very interesting and a few I had not seen before. Highly recommend the pate, ceviche, but all were fabulous.The peanuts on the pate appetizer were terrific, I forgot to ask how they were flavored. I had the bluefish with braised endive, it just melted in my mouth and the bluefish was not oily tasting as it sometimes can be. A home run was gnocchi with fiddleheads and my mother adored the fettuccine with mussels. Dad raved about the asparagus soup. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day TreatBritDined on 5/12/2013This is a great place for a romantic night out or dinner with friends. It was pleasant but not too casual. My husband and I shared the chicken liver pate which was yummy. I then had the sword fish with lentils - flavorfull and and the swordfish was tender and delicate. My husband had the chicken and cavatelli - good, slightly spicy. We shared the chocolate bread pudding which was delicious. The service was attentive but not pushy. Portions were just right- leaving you room for a dessert. I enjoy a pre dinner cocktail but the choices were a little exotic for me. My husband found his glass of beer very small - it was like a juice glass. Having different size options for the beers would please my husband as he found himself thirsty.Special Features:
- Great Food and Aims to PleaseMBF125Dined on 5/4/2013The dining experience on Saturday, May 4, 2013 was great. Food choices were all outstanding and the staff was very attentive. They asked if we needed to have the music turned down, did not rush us to finish our meal, and kept asking if everything was okay. Maybe they did that a bit too much, but I thought they were "aiming to please" since 2 of us in the party of 4 had never been to Cook and Brown before. Everything was great until the end of the night when the tea water was cold, no spoons were presented with the coffee, and we had to wait for one cup of coffee. This ending made what had been a great night, just a bit disappointing. However, I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very nice dinnermacdougDined on 4/27/2013We had a very nice dinner of monkfish and mussels, and although a couple of mussels were a bit gritty overall the food was fantastic and the service very friendly and attentive. It was awfully crowded on a Saturday night, and our late-add reservations stuck us in the elevated "display window" table near the bar, but the food we had was definitely *not* something we could have prepared ourselves, and was very good and interesting to eat. Our "Hi-Q" cocktail was also refreshingly different and good.Special Features:
- As always, C&B was a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2013As always, C&B was a wonderful choice to bring out of town guests (my father in law and his new wife), who raved over the 'unique and creative' menu, the fabulous cocktails, and the local ingredients. Wonderful to have a neighborhood restaurant that takes its craft so seriouslySpecial Features:
- A great neighborhood bistro;OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013A great neighborhood bistro; very fresh food; informal setting. Lots of people at the bar on a Friday night made it a bit noisy, but it wasn't unbearable. Great draught beers and original dishes--I loved the light ricotta gnocchi with red radishes and a radish-green pesto. My dad has a great lemon-herb risotto with very tender lamb.Special Features:
- Found a rotting beet in myMangiamoVIPDined on 4/13/2013Found a rotting beet in my beet salad, soup and entrees were over-salted, entrees were lukewarm (as if they were sitting out for a while), tables placed randomly in the "dining room" so either you felt as if you were dining with your neighbors or you were a lone table on display. Seems to be a very disorganized operation.
- We were enjoying the ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013We were enjoying the ambiance and the service and were overall impressed with the restaurant until the entree's arrived. We shared our meals, the beef with noodles and the risotto. the risotto was more interesting than the beef but neither was very good and we wouldn't order these again.Special Features:
- The pork shoulder was well-preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013The pork shoulder was well-prepared and tasty. A simple salad was perfect: not over-dressed and with crisp clean lettuce. The entree could have been heated more. Interesting bar menu.Special Features:
- The menu was interesting andFelicedollVIPDined on 3/9/2013The menu was interesting and the food was good. On the negative side- the drink pours were really minimal and the fish portion way too small. Prices were on the high side, but the small portions and short drinks will certainly keep us from returning. The waitstaff also need more training; had to ask for more salad dressing numerous times.Special Features:
- Best meal I've had yet. AppetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013Best meal I've had yet. Appetizer course was so filling and delicious it could have been dinner. We shared a shaved salad and the roasted pig tails on the advice of the waiter. Followed up with a scallop plate and a lemon sole dish, both of which were very good, but just couldn't compete with the awesomeness of the pig tails. I could write the rest of this review just about the pork belly. The entire night was great, with the typical very well balanced cocktails, and of course attentive but unobtrusive staff. pig tails should be on the menu more often...8)Special Features:
- Service was great, restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Service was great, restaurant was small and cozy, and food was delicious! Our main courses were great as was the salad my husband got. Wanted to order a starter or a dessert, but the choices on the night we went weren't what we'd wanted (only reason I gave a 4 for food). Drink selection was great though, so we had fun with that instead! Will definitely go back -- the service was fabulous and can't wait to try what other things come up on the menu!Special Features:
- Our second visit to Cook &OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Our second visit to Cook & Brown Public House, each one truly enjoyable. The Valentine's Day menu was limited only in choices, not in the quality and truly amazing taste sensations. We expect to be returning on a regular basis.Special Features:
- We had an absolutely amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/2/2013We had an absolutely amazing night at Publuc House! The food was fabulous and the service was incredible! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Not sure if it was just anOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/31/2013Not sure if it was just an off night or a sign of a restaurant slipping, but our dinner was just than or below average. While the server was very pleasant, we waited an exceptionally long time for our entrees - they did offer us 2 appetizers to make up for this (our meals took SO long that these were served one at a time). When our entrees actually arrived, they were not as good as we've had in the past - really nothing special. I think the best part was that a member of our party had a dietary restriction that they were more than able to accommodate. To be honest, not sure if we will go back to Cooke & Browne - other than for drinks/apps.Special Features:
- Simply outstanding in everyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/22/2013Simply outstanding in every way. Service was top notch. Food was simple, elegant and delicious. Cocktails are a real speciality too.Special Features: