12 N Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehippcafe.com/
- Phone: 4106251401x205
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 2 hours prior to showtime;
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 2 hours prior to showtime
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Paul Lever
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Spectrum is a full service caterer. Our Executive Chef & Professional Events team can customize a menu for your next event ranging from breakfast meetings & corporate dinners to barmitzvahs or weddings.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Spectrum's Event Coordinator Kimberly Dorgan for our private Dining and event options
- Private Party Contact: Kimberly Dorgan 4437032430x
- Cross Street: W Baltimore Street
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There is parking attached to the Hippodrome Theatre in the Grand Garage. When exiting the garage please use the Paca street exit and turn left onto W Baltimore Street. The Hipp Cafe is located between Paca Street and N Eutaw Street
A word from Hipp Cafe
The Hipp Cafe is the exception! We have great food, great ingredients at a great value. Everything we offer at the Hipp Cafe is prepared in house from the best seasonal ingredients available. We have a great selection of fresh baked breads, homemade soups & fresh cut salads and artisan paninis. Our menu is designed for fast service but is not fast food. The Hipp Cafe has a casual dinning atmosphere where you can enjoy a a glass of wine and a bite to eat before your theatre performance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Hipp Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hipp Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- The selection is average.LizMoserDined on 12/7/2013The selection is average. Service is awkward - you order your food, go to your table and it is delivered to you but some things you are suppose to get yourself like your drinks, cookies/desserts but no one told you that when you ordered. So you are sitting at your table waiting for your cookie to be delivered. Tables are small but plates are big.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/6/2013Perfect place to grab a bite to eat before a show!Special Features:
- GREAT pre-theaterMaryDined on 12/5/2013So nice that you can get decent food right in the theater lobby! Makes life e-a-s-y! All the servers were SO friendly -- great attitudes!
- The food at the Hipp CafeBearDined on 12/4/2013The food at the Hipp Cafe was less than desirable. My burger was straight out of the freezer and a beer cost $8.00 (REALLY)! The room was dark and it was cumbersome to order food at one location and drinks at another location. Lord knows if you didn't plan for dessert in advance you had to go back to the cashier yet again. I would never recommend the Hipp Cafe!!!
- suggestionsmusicalDined on 12/3/2013Change your menu by adding more selections. Offer a wider selection of wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine before Hippodrome performancesMarianneDined on 12/3/2013We've been having dinner at the Hipp Café before our Hippodrome performances since it's inception and have always enjoyed it. The serving sizes and quality of food has always been impressive. So far, we haven't had anything we didn't enjoy. The restaurant associates, from the cashier to the "bus person", have always been courteous and helpful. I do miss one person - Veronica. She was one of the first people we met when we began coming to the Hipp Café. She always met us with a smile and a hug. I do wish I could remember the second waitress' name (sorry). She's also been there since the beginning and is always very courteous and helpful. We've never been shunned or ignored by any of the associates. Reservation making is also a plusSpecial Features:
- ForgettablechoryiuDined on 12/3/2013The only reason we ate at the Hipp Cafe was for convenience since it is located inside the Hippodrome theater. This was the second time I we ate here and both times were inenjoyable. The food was bland and not very tasteful. The crab cake was fishy and the chicken pot pie had too much rosemary. The berry cobbler wasn't cooked all the way through and the dough in the middle was runny. The service and wait staff were the only bright spot. They were very friendly and quick to help you. We were also able to book our reservation the morning of the show, which was a plus. The only reason to eat here is convenience and location.
- great pre-theatre findCarolMDined on 11/24/2013Be sure to make a reservation on a show night if you want to get a table. And order dessert with your meal. Brownies sell out fast!Special Features:
- angrytablesnatchersDined on 11/24/2013They couldn't find my reservation, so I stood there for like 10 minutes waiting, then before we got our food, we were asked to move so another family could use our table. Never going there again. I am a career server/ bartender and have never done this to anyone especially at their birthday celebration.
- Perfect afternoonbritterVIPDined on 11/24/2013Lunch at the Hipp Cafe was the perfect way to start a fantastic afternoon. The food was delicious and it was great being in the theatre for lunch. Would highly recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient Theater DiningMDFoodieDined on 11/24/2013The Hipp Cafe has a great location if you are attending a show at the Hippodrome Theater. We went there before a recent matinee. The food is not spectacular but it is certainly good enough. The best thing we had was the bread pudding. But do make reservations and come a little early. By an hour before show time, the place was very crowded and we had people eyeing our table.
- convenientjerseyDined on 11/23/2013Food is very good. It is convenient if you are going to a show at the Hippo. That's about it.
- would go backluvdogsDined on 11/23/2013Atmosphere casual, orders taken at registers. Even though they were very busy the staff did an excellent job of keeping things moving. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were going to a play andDebbieDined on 11/23/2013We were going to a play and needed a place to eat, wait for showtime, relax & meet up with family. It was perfect for this. Café is attached to the Theatre so once we were comfortable, we didn't have to go outside again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2013Everybodies food was great with the exception of two people who got the crab cake. They said it was very fishy and too much filler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Way to Start a Perfect NighlaurenLaurenDined on 11/22/2013We had tickets on a Friday evening for Jersey Boys. After rushing home from work and changing, then running back out, it was SO convenient to find a restaurant right at the theatre. I loved the atmosphere displaying all of the shows. Everyone was friendly, the food was delicious, and it came out so quickly. We had plenty of time to relax and unwind before the show and never felt rushed to leave after we eat! The prices were very reasonable and I WILL come back here the next time I see a show!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hipp more than exceededjoanieVIPDined on 11/22/2013The Hipp more than exceeded our expectations when grabbing a bite before a show at The Hippodrome. The nice thing was you could make a reservation, so even though you get in line to order and wait for a very pleasant server to bring you your food, at least you don't have to wait for a table. I had a surprisingly good Beef Stroganoff, my friend had a delightful Salmon Greek Salad. And don't forget some really good desserts - bread pudding was our choice, which the waitress suggested splitting. It was relaxing because you are virtually in the theatre when show time comes. Wouldn't go anywhere else before a show.Special Features:
- Bite to eat and theateryankDined on 11/20/2013Ate there prior to evening show at Hippodrome. Good food..fast and courteous service. Had reserved table which was actually in theater area so didn't have to wait in line for ticket scan, usher came around to table to scan tickets while waiting for food to be served. Would recommend reservations since Bistro/Bar room was packed shortly after we got there. All in all pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will dine at the Hipp again!barbelaine1Dined on 11/17/2013Great little bistro! Nice place to have a small meal and a glass of wine before a show.
- Hipp Cafe hits the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/17/2013Conveniently located for Hippodrome Theater patrons with a diverse menu and good food and service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2013The crab cake was the worse I've ever had. No lump backfin as advertised and fishy smell and taste. The crab corn chowder although was tasty it contained not 1 speck of crab either visibly or in taste.
- Great before the show!MeganDined on 11/16/2013I almost always eat at the cafe before a show. Great food and service. I've been eating her for many aura and it never dissapoints. I hope the shrimp sala makes a comeback soon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super convenientOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/15/2013Perfect for grabbing a bite to eat before a show. Only have to park once, food is good, and the staff make you feel like they are happy to see you. We are season ticket holders, and the Hipp a Cafe is always how we start our evening at the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2013It's a great place to eat before a show at the Hippodrome. The food is good and the service is very quick.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Place!islandgirl55Dined on 10/27/2013The Hipp Cafe is the perfect place to dine before catching the play. Not only is it one of the few restaurants in the area, it is the best with the prices reasonable, food delightful, and the convenience of parking in the garage and walking right into the Cafe before showtime! Additionally, everyone who works at the Cafe are always pleasant and happy to treat the guests with the utmost respect and service performed in a timely manner. The only place I would dine before the show!!!Special Features:
- Theatre Night Dinner Made EasierBakesomeonehappyDined on 10/20/2013The food at the Hipp Cafe is casual - mostly sandwiches. We were attending a show at The Hippodrome, so The Hipp Cafe seemed to be a quick and easy spot for dinner. Our table was reserved and ready when we arrived. Our name was on the table, but there appeared to be other tables that were not reserved. We placed our order and paid as we entered. There was also a full service bar nearby. Our soup and sandwiches arrived quickly. The food was not exciting or fabulous, but good. The waitress was very friendly and efficient. The noise level grew as the show time approached. The best part was that there was no waiting for the check - when we completed our dinner, we only has a short walk to enter the theatre!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best First Act of a MatineeEKHornbeckDined on 10/20/2013This is e perfect lunch spot to put you in the mood to enjoy professional theatre, especially a matinee. Food selections are outstanding and well-prepared, the service friendly and efficient, and the overall potential for people-watching is top-notch. The pace is relaxed and even though the table configuration is a bit cramped, it's still a creative and dynamic use of space in what otherwise would be just another dusty corner of an historic theatre lobby. Always worth including in your plans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good service, convenientHipsterDined on 10/20/2013Good food, good service, convenient for lunch before the showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before theatereatout1Dined on 10/19/2013Eating at the Hipp Cafe is great when going to the theater. The food is served hot by a great staff. The menu is limited. I ordered the corn and crab soup. Unfortunately, I didn't find any crab, but did find bacon. The waiter took it back and brought another soup with no fuss.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location for pre-theaterTheatergoerDined on 10/18/2013Great location for pre-theater dining. Good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Treasure!BaltimoreHonDined on 10/17/2013We made a reservation for dinner before the show We Will Rock You. I highl recommned making reservation. It only takes and minute and your table will be waiting for you. The staff is always so friendly. The cashier/hotess remembered us and our names from last season. We have a salmon club and a cheesesteak. Boh were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much more space is neededLuvBroadwayDined on 10/16/2013Much more space is needed for seating. The lobby eating area is too bright. Better lighting would enhance atmosphere. Food selection has improved. Servers are very polite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePeteDined on 5/18/2013My wife and I see a lot of shows at the Hippodrome. Doing so we always look forward to going to the Hipp Cafe for lunch before the show. We always have excellent service and the food is just awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone loved what they orderedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2013I had the special of the day - a crabcake wrap, delicious. Everyone else loved what they got, also - a bbq chicken Panini, a rosemary turkey with cranberry, a chicken with pesto and a quite large salad with grilled chicken. Rapid service when we needed it to be, as we were trying to grab a meal between a hooding ceremony and an afternoon commencement event a couple of blocks away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipp Cafe at The HippodromeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2013I had no idea what to expect when we made reservations at The Hipp Cafe. We had tickets to see Joe Bonamassa at The Hippodrome in Baltimore, and this was "across the street." Turns out, the cafe is actually inside the Hippodrome building--very convenient for us that night. The food was very good, and the service was friendly. Diners are required to place their order at a counter, and the wait staff brings your meal to you. If you're in the mood to be served, this isn't the place for you. If you want quick, tasty food, I recommend Hipp Cafe.Special Features:
- Performance dinnertarheelDined on 5/11/2013great to have a good meal in iime to eat and have a drink and relax before the showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before TheatreChevyDanDined on 5/11/2013This restaurant is in the Hippodrome Theater in Baltimore and was a great place for a light dinner before the show. You order at the bar and they bring you your food at your table. The food was quite good and the serving people were very very helpful and pleasant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularvickieDined on 5/8/2013We have season tickets and with every show we eat in your restaurant and absolutely love it!!! The servers are very pleasant and go over and above the call of duty to make your dining a pleasant one and not to mention quick service so the diners can enjoy their meal and not rush eating before the show starts. I like the menu because its not real heavy just right to consume so your not uncomfortable during the show.Special Features:
- Pricy for what you getOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2013if you are going to a show it is fine. Soda is $4 a piece, the food is pricey for what you get. Burger and small pizza with 2 sodas was almost $30. Food was tastey, you are paying for convienance.
- Quick bite - fast & friendly!CapsFan25VIPDined on 5/7/2013This was a super spot to go before a concert - not crowded, fast, and good food. Sure beat buying arena food at Mariner One! The people were really friendly, and kept things moving along for a crowd that was largely in a hurry. Thanks!I would recommend this to a friend.