12 N Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thehippcafe.com/
- Phone: 4106251401x205
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 2 hours prior to showtime;
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 2 hours prior to showtime
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Paul Lever
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Spectrum is a full service caterer. Our Executive Chef & Professional Events team can customize a menu for your next event ranging from breakfast meetings & corporate dinners to barmitzvahs or weddings.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Spectrum's Event Coordinator Kimberly Dorgan for our private Dining and event options
- Private Party Contact: Kimberly Dorgan 4437032430x
- Cross Street: W Baltimore Street
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: There is parking attached to the Hippodrome Theatre in the Grand Garage. When exiting the garage please use the Paca street exit and turn left onto W Baltimore Street. The Hipp Cafe is located between Paca Street and N Eutaw Street
A word from Hipp Cafe
The Hipp Cafe is the exception! We have great food, great ingredients at a great value. Everything we offer at the Hipp Cafe is prepared in house from the best seasonal ingredients available. We have a great selection of fresh baked breads, homemade soups & fresh cut salads and artisan paninis. Our menu is designed for fast service but is not fast food. The Hipp Cafe has a casual dinning atmosphere where you can enjoy a a glass of wine and a bite to eat before your theatre performance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Hipp Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hipp Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (3)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2014Was not open and receiving guests until 10 minutes after opening time and reservation tiem, not clean, bad smell - smelled like old grease. Food was awful, dry, appeared to be heated in the microwave.
- We'll never go there againBigRubeVIPDined on 4/13/2014Since we live in the DC Metro area, we don't generally go to the Hippodrome, so we don't know where to eat in the area. The Hipp Cafe seemed an obvious choice since it was right next to the theatre. We'll not make that mistake again. My bar-b-q chicken sandwich had a sauce much too liquid to eat as a sandwich, plus the meat was dry, making it inedible to me. My husband's burger was also dry. And the home-made chips were doused in Bay seasoning, which we also couldn't eat. We might have tried the desserts, but by that time the sole line to order food was backed up, and we didn't want to be late for the show.
- Great pre-show spotHippHippHoorayDined on 4/12/2014The Hipp Café is a great place for a lunch or a snack before a show at the Hippodrome Theatre. The food is fresh and delicious, and the portions are large. Reservations are recommended.Special Features:
- More like a snack barOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2014Very expensive and food was just so so. You sit in the lobby of the Hippodrome
- Great spot to eat before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2014The Hipp Café is a great place to eat before a show at the Hippodrome. Tasty meals are served quickly to accommodate the pretheater crowd at the Hippodrome Theatre. The limited menu and semi self-service arrangement help the Hipp Café service many patrons well. If I wanted better atmosphere, I would plan to spend more time and money at another restaurant near the theater. If you have a reservation, you can get to the restaurant directly from the Grand Garage without needing to circle the theater from the street.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We eat there before each ofRamonaDined on 3/9/2014We eat there before each of our plays. Staff is very friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- book of hippJll0906Dined on 3/9/2014Menu has changed. That is good. The only issue was that although I made a reservation via Opentable, the Hipp cafe did not have amy record of it. It did not turn out to be a problem because there was a table available that we were able to use.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for the matineeOxfordianDined on 3/9/2014We enjoy going to the Hipp Cafe as we can enjoy a leisurely lunch and know we ae minutes away from our seats. Menu is consistent and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect VenueYazDadVIPDined on 3/6/2014Despite a few negative reviews I've read, I found the Hipp Cafe to be the perfect venue for pre-theater dining. Make your reservation for 6:00 PM. Easy parking in the Grand Garage. No lines. Helpful, courteous and unrushed staff who guide you through the ordering process. Fast and efficient service after ordering (less than 10 minutes). As one of the first guests of the evening, everything came out fresh and hot. The Chicken Rosemary Rice soup was outstanding (pay a little more and get a bowl). Otherwise, settle for the combo cup & sandwich for one price. All the sandwiches looked great coming out of the kitchen including our honey BBQ chicken & bacon and the steak hoagie. Pass on the homemade chips (way too salty). Ask for a substitute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipp if you go to showBaltimoreDiner03VIPDined on 3/5/2014Quick place for a simple meal before the show. Otherwise, there is no reason to eat here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater eatsspriteDined on 3/4/2014Good place to eat before the show starts. Food is nothing special but more than adequate. The staff is always courteous and always hustling to get the job done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night at the HippoFozzieDined on 3/4/2014My wife and I were very very pleasantly surprised with the Hipp. We were looking for a convenient restaurant to the Hippodrome and welcomed a light menu. It hit the mark perfectly. The food was very tasty. I enjoyed sitting in the lobby area and that our reservation had our name on the table was a nice touch. Only drawback is standing on line to order your food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, Location, LocationAlohaLouieVIPDined on 3/2/2014The Hipp Café was the perfect place to eat prior to a performance at the Hippodrome. Although the menu was limited, the food was good and the service very friendly. My wife loved the Taco Salad, I was less than overwhelmed by the crabcake sandwich . . . a shame when world-class crab cakes are available for take out at Faidley's in Lexington Market only one block north . . . though closed on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick bite before a showVariDined on 3/2/2014Offers sandwiches, salads and beer and wine. Quick and everyone working there was great. Good stop before the show, quick, good and a lite meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch before showKwineDined on 3/2/2014Had lunch with friends before show and it was very convenient and fun. The food was decent and they scan your tickets while you are seated so you just go right into the theater without going outside again. You order at the register and then they bring your food to your table. Overall, it was a nice way to start the theater experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to grab a quickOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2014Great place to grab a quick meal before a show at the Hippodrome theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre FoodTraveling444Dined on 3/1/2014The menu is dull and limited, wraps and salads, maybe a bowl of soup. You need to wait in line, and place your order at the counter. They will bring it to you when your food is ready, but that is all the "service" you will receive. The food is better at Panera's (down the street), and they have a grand total of 3 beers (all bottles). The location is great, but the rest of meal leaves a lot to be desired. Also, if you park in the attached garage, you still have to walk around the building in the cold if it is before the theater opens.
- Great Pre-Show DiningNavySinger517Dined on 2/27/2014We enjoy eating at the Hip Cafe before attending a performance. The change of walking outside from the parking garage was an inconvenience since we are regulars and season ticket holders, and it was very cold outside! We had reservations. I think you need to work on that ... Have a list of reservation holders to keep strays from lingering in the lobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the ShowNelsonVIPDined on 2/27/2014This was our first visit to the Hipp Cafe. We enjoyed the quick cafe food. The wait staff was very helpful. They ensured that our encounter was positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enduring pleasurelittleangelDined on 2/26/2014We came to Cafe Hipp because we were to see a play at the Hippodrome Theater the same eve .We have eaten there before >To be able to advance reserve a table ,dine & go right into the performance is so-o-o convenient . The food is plentiful & tasty , is nicely presented .We were very pleased again & we will follow the same plan each time we go to the theater there . Thanks for a pleasant experience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient but that's allOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/26/2014Couldn't get reservations at the Alewife for dinner before the show and ended up at the Hipp Cafe. You have to stand in line both to get your drinks and order your food. Drink prices are OUTRAGEOUS; a server brings the food to your table. Food is OK, nothing special. The chief draw is convenience before a performance at the Hippodrome. You certainly would never go here otherwise.
- Convenience to theatre isConvenientdiningDined on 2/25/2014Convenience to theatre is the best. Food menu becomes boring after several visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO CONVENIENTmotherofcatsDined on 2/9/2014We were so pleased to find the was a Hipp Cafe but then to find that the service was outstanding and food [the small order we had] was great. Just upset that the home made potato chips that I was so thrilled to find on my plate, were too liberally covered in pepper for me to eat them [I can't do spicy things]... What a convenience to have this right in the lobby of the theatre to make it easy to have a bite, then just go upstairs to the show! And a pleasant surprise to find the cafe staff could scan our theatre ticket while we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quick bite toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2014Great for a quick bite to eat before a show. Food is pretty good, service is fast.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy many reservationsOxfordianDined on 2/9/2014The entire restaurant was filled with reservations. I made a reservation for the Sunday matinee about a month before the show and requested a table in the lobby but ended up on a window with the order line next to us. We survived but hope the future finds us back inside again. Service was good and staff has been added. Convenient and decent food but wouldn't recommend the burger- precooked and overdone to dry- at least on this day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner n Show1964Dined on 2/8/2014This little cafe is great to grab a bit before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre-show lunch or snackHippHippHoorayDined on 2/8/2014We've made it a routine to go to the Hipp Café, at the Hippodrome Theatre in Baltimore, MD, before our matinee shows. We have a comfortable place to sit while we wait for the house to open, and Hipp's bread pudding is outstanding! We highly recommend the Hipp Café.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentRedfromOHDined on 2/8/2014We waited in an uncomfortable line--inches from other diners, to order at the cash register. Found our reserved table--liked having a reserved sign with our name on it. I had the Salmon club. It was not a club--no bacon and not on bread. Three pieces of salmon fishy in flavor and overcooked to the point of being leathery, served on a round bun with some lettuce and sauce. Accompanied by warmed crab chips that were stale. Partner got the turkey blt wrap. Generous portion but "average at best" in the taste department. Folks who worked at Hipp Cafe were nice and it's convenient pre-theater, but we wouldn't eat there again.Special Features:
- The Hipp Café was great! ItMaryJoDined on 2/7/2014The Hipp Café was great! It is attached to the Hippodrome theater and was perfect to stop in before a show. Food was great and service was quick. I would recommend this for anyone who wants a quick bit before attending an event at the Hippodrome. Make reservations early. We had reservations and got stuck in traffic. We called to let them know we were running late. They returned the call to make sure we were coming and they held our table for 45 minutes!! How awesome it that!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinerFoodieDined on 2/5/2014My family enjoys coming to the Hipp Cafe before the theater, The food is good and it is very convenient.Special Features:
- An evening at the HippRobertDined on 2/5/2014My wife and I have been there on multiple occasions. The food is very good and service is also very good. Everyone seems to have a good customer satisfaction attitude. We like it and will be back.Special Features:
- Great experiencesShowGoerDined on 2/4/2014My group has season tickets to the Hippodrome. We enjoy our dinner at the Hipp Cafe before the show. The food has always been good and the service excellent. It is a great place to "wind down" after our work day and before the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent servicemusicalDined on 2/4/2014A great pretheater lunch and dinner spot! Convenient, good food, and excellent, friendly, service. Suggestion to add a reisling to your wine list and continue to add different entree choices. We are subsribers And keep returning to the Hipp Cafe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The servers are fantasticDinnerandashowDined on 2/4/2014The servers are fantastic - attentive, gracious, funny, and just plain sweet. The Hipp Cafe truly adds to the show experience for an entire evening of fun. We used to switch around to other places for dinner before the show, but not only go to the Hipp Cafe everytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for dinner before a showDCLDadDined on 1/18/2014Menu has something for everyone, great quality, but not complicated. Service is fast, so don't schedule more than an hour and a half before a show at the Hippodrome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy dining for theatre goersKathyDined on 1/11/2014Baltimore has good restaurants and good theatres--unfortunately, they are rarely close to each other. One good choice is the Hipp Cafe, located right in the Hippodrome Theatre. When we first arrived, we were a little taken aback that we were supposed to go to a counter to order food. ("I thought we were going to a restaurant" my daughter said). Frankly, I don't like self-serve restaurants, even if they do bring the food to your table after you order. But the food was very good and the staff was pleasant. Considering the other choices around--mostly fast food, delis and one Pub that it was impossible to get a reservation for, I would go back next time I had tickets. But when will we get a Restaurant Row with our Theatre District?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Hipp Cafe!GourmetGalDined on 1/11/2014Whoever had the great idea to put this café at the Hippodrome should be given FIVE STARS! It's so convenient to be able to get a SUPER TASTY soup, sandwich or salad before a show, in a sit down restaurant, at a reasonable price, with a friendly and attentive wait staff. We eat here whenever we go to the Hippodrome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific theater diningColleenDined on 1/10/2014Inspired idea for feeding hungry theater-goers. We enjoyed the food and service very much. Wait staff couldn't have been nicer.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best thing about HippMariaDined on 12/14/2013The best thing about Hipp Cafe is that it is adjacent to the Hippodrome. The food is good and most of the service is great! It's very convenient.Special Features:
- More Options NeededMariahDined on 12/13/2013I wish the area around the Hippodrome had more interesting eating options. We chose this restaurant because we were taking our grandsons to see Myth Busters and it is conveniently located in the lobby of the theater. This was desirable because the neighborhood is not. Unfortunately, the menu at Hipp Café is quite limited especially for vegetarian dishes. Our grandsons could find only one thing on the menu either one of them would eat. Also, the only side is chips. Need a more healthful variety. Plus, $4.00 for a cookie? What is the management thinking. They need to go back to the drawing board.