402 South Main Street
Stillwater, MN 55082Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lunarossawinebar.com/
- Phone: 6514300560
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Raffaele Virgillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Luna Rossa offers 2 private rooms each accommodating up to 45 guests or combined up to 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Call Restaurant 6514300560
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Sunday throught Thursdays from 3-6PM. We featured reduced prices on drinks, bottled beers and selected appetizers. Live music most Friday and Saturdays. We also feature tours of the Joseph Wolf Brewary Caves, wines dinners and cooking classes. Other events vary, please call for schedule or to customize your event. We can also accommodate banquets, rehearsal dinners and corporate events.
A word from Luna Rossa
Luna Rossa is a family owned & operated steakhouse with Italian specialties, seafood, gourmet pizza and homemade Italian Gelato. We also feature tours of the Joseph Wolf Brewary Caves. Open daily for lunch & dinner, Luna Rossa also offers a full bar with many wonderful wines & a great martini list. Luna Rossa is located in historic downtown Stillwater, situated in the old caves & is a wonderful place to gather with your group of family & friends, or for & intimate dinner for 2. Luna Rossa offers four different dining spaces, with a warm earthy, Tuscan atmosphere with a banquet facility also available for groups up to 100 people. Live music is featured most Fridays and Saturdays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Luna Rossa - Best Restaurants in Stillwater ›
Luna Rossa reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (16)romantic (16)notable wine list (12)neighborhood gem (10)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (8)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- DisappointedLoveSushiDined on 7/27/2013I've heard so many talk about Luna Rossa and was excited to finally try it out for myself. The food was very bland. There was a great Italian selection however the margarita pizza as well as the new York strip were nothing special. Definitely needs more spices etc for flavor.Special Features:
- Nice Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2013This restaurant is located right at the entrance in to Stillwater. Although our appetizers were late in arriving and came along with our salads, the food was exceptionally good. I would recommend this restaurant. The management was more than accomodating and we had a great time. The live music outside as we dined was also a very nice touch. We will go back.Special Features:
- ambiencememeyeDined on 7/19/2013This is worth going to once just to see the interior; the back half is built into a cave. Cool place; food was fine. Not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been there many manyManythanksDined on 7/12/2013We have been there many many times and will Continue to come ! Thank youSpecial Features:
- Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2013We had a corporate dinner there and the food was excellent as well as the staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2013Food was fair for price point although menu was a but tired looking. However, for the Stillwater area it's probably ok. Ordered an expensive veal dish based on price point but the meat was dry and appeared to be fried, not the slow fall apart consistency imparted by the tomato base. In short, it was not enjoyable. Pasta side was watery due to not being drained well, so the house pomodoro wasn't very approachable. Al fresco dining is in a great location if you people watch except for the noise from the mechanical horse every two minutes nearby. Wine list was price point towards reasonable with a fair mark up point.
- great outdoor atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2013Not the greatest food I've had but a really nice atmosphere with awesome outdoor diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Date Nightbryan184Dined on 6/29/2013We went here for a last minute date and had a great time. I had a fantastic wine, and the food was very flavorful. I have dietary restrictions and the waitress and chef had no problems at all accommodating me. We sat outside because the weather was beautiful, and just had a chance to look around and enjoy Stillwater.Special Features:
- Food was good, had the steakboatingnutDined on 6/19/2013Food was good, had the steak with a very favorful topping. Wife loved the wine and pasta. Daughter liked her pasta as well. We sat outside and there must have been a car show that night. Many old cars and motorcycles driving by. Made for interesting conversation. Waitress was energetic and friendly. Would certainly go back.Special Features:
- The evening was just fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/15/2013The evening was just fantastic. It started with a friendly greeting. The wait staff was attentive but not overpowering. The ambiance was terrific. The entrees had all of the flavors expected and more... Just terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety, great priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/4/2013We had a wonderful dinner. I was impressed with the large selection on the menu and the food was wonderful. I also thought the price was great considering not only how good the food was, but how much food we received. We all brought food home with us. We will be going back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and excellent valueKimberDined on 5/31/2013Luna Rosa is in the heart of downtown Stillwater so you are right in the middle of tons of fun shops and a block walk to the river. Parking is available on street and also down about a block there is a city lot. My husband and daughter had the Fettuccini and I had the cannelloni. Both were good although my husband would have liked larger shrimp in his dish. I told him the dish would be priced much higher for large shrimp. The restaurant is very nicely decorated and would be great for a romantic dinner but also was great for my 11 year old daughter. We were there on a Friday evening around 6 and there was live music playing in the background which was an added bonus!Special Features:
- Another wonderful meal at Luna RossOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2013My wife and I wanted to take our daughter some place special to celebrate her college graduation. My first thought was Luna Rossa, because I love it there. The food was delicious and the service was prompt and very friendly. The duo playing music was not too loud and played music that I personally love. The three of us had a very pleasent evening. Thank you again Luna Rossa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyableSumDudeDined on 5/11/2013Myself, wife and two kids really enjoyed the experience. Excellent ambiance, food was good, and service was very good. Great experience for couples who have/want to bring their children.Special Features:
- Great!JennyDined on 5/7/2013The service n food was great! It's a most place to eat.Special Features:
- Poor serviceSandyHVIPDined on 5/4/2013At a recent visit to Luna Rosa we were disappointed with the service from our server. 2 of us at the table of 3 had empty wine glasses from the time we ordered until I flagged her down about halfway through our meal. She never noticed or asked if we would like another glass. We waited and waited to try and attract her attention but she never looked our way. Not that I needed the second glass that much but the avoidance distracted from our entire experience. She also never asked how we were enjoying our meal (delivered by someone else) Left bad taste for a place we have always liked before.Special Features:
- Food was very good, but theDianeVIPDined on 5/4/2013Food was very good, but the hostess's did not have a cue and the waitress was not focused. She did not get our beverage order and when she did it took forever. Trying to get our order placed was a challenge and then she messed up what we ordered.
- Server was great.Rjh07rjhDined on 5/3/2013Claire was our server and she made our visit wonderful. She is a great server! Food was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisechefVIPDined on 5/3/2013After reading reviews ranging from loved it to never again we were unsure what to expect. Happily our experience was unreservedly positive. The place is very busy and staff may have some challenges there is a large event, but the wait for service and for the food was no longer than might be experienced in any busy place on a weekend. Appetizer was delicious, hot and served quickly. Server recommended a large house salad could be made "Caesar style" (romaine and caesar dressing) rather than having to order three side Caesars; we experoenced no problems with being a party of three or with our desire to order and share anumber of menu items family-style. Instead, plates and extra cutlery were cheerfully provided. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luna Rossa- a great place for dinneKathyDined on 4/30/2013Stopped by on a Tuesday night. It was not too crowded, thus to my friend and my benefit. The food was fantastic! I had the best tasting salmon with steamed veggies, while my friend tried the seafood ravioli. Both meals were excellent! Highly recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad night for serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013While we find the food at Luna Rossa typically very good, our last experience left a bad impression. We unfortunately made reservations for a party of 7 on a night when there were two other large groups in the restaurant and the service was somewhere between forgetful and disinterested. We'd been there for 40 minutes and had only managed to order appetizers and drinks that weren't yet delivered. When the drinks did come, I don't know that our server thought to use a tray as it took three trips - one for the wine and 2 glasses, a second for the beers and 2 glasses, and a third for 3 sodas. All told, it took an hour and 45 minutes for our meal. The server apologized and comped one dessert, but we didn't sense any change in her actions.Special Features:
- Great place to take your wifePeteDined on 4/27/2013Great place to take your wife out for a good meal in a nice setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked in a cave, Luna Rossa'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2013Tucked in a cave, Luna Rossa's atmosphere can't be beat. I would only dine at Luna Rossa on a special occasion, the prices are quite high. The risotto (of the day) was tasty, but the pasta that came with the veal was unremarkable.Special Features:
- Great Food, So-So ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2013I had an outstanding New York strip steak and the green/yellow beans were also great.It came with a side of penne pasta with sauce that tasted like Ragu..not great.My girlfriend had cheese tortellini in a pesto cheese sauce. Our server was very helpful in getting this as it wasn't on the menu. The pesto cheese sauce was very salty but the tortellini was very good. While our server was very friendly and easy to talk with, our service wasn't great. She did recommend a very good wine, saying it was $32-$36. When we got our bill,the wine was $40.I asked about the cost,and she apolagized and fixed our bill.It took a long time to get our food and bill.I'm not sure if the restaurant was understaffed but we waited for a long time in between coursesSpecial Features:
- Great Service Despite Surprise WaitToxicProofDined on 4/20/2013My girlfriend and I had a Groupon for Luna Rossa that required a reservation. Upon arriving with a reservation, we were told it would be a 10-minute wait due to prom. After 15 minutes and still not being seated, a manager walked by and asked if we had been helped yet. We explained that we had made a reservation but were still waiting, to which she responded by offering us a complimentary beer or wine while we waited. She even went into the bar area and found us a small table so we could be more comfortable until our table was ready - which was only another 5 minutes. Once we were seated, the service was outstanding and quick, and the food was fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- A fine evening at RossaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013The service was excellent. We ran a little late for our reservation, but they quickly got a table cleared for us. The food was also excellent. We got good advice for our waitress on what wine would go best with our food, since my girlfriend and I don't know that much about wine. The rest of the staff were very courteous and friendly also. There were a couple larger groups of people that were a little noisy, but we could still hear each other fairly well without having to raise our voices much. Making reservations online also had a link to order flowers that can be delivered to the restaurant, which was a huge plus for me.Special Features:
- food was very good. ServiceBeckyDined on 4/20/2013food was very good. Service was okay. I felt the service wasn't what I would have expected in this type of place. Not very friendly and had forgotten about the special dietary requests.Special Features:
- We had great service, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/15/2013We had great service, great food and the waitress was very friendly.Special Features:
- Passable food for the lunchSaraVIPDined on 4/13/2013Passable food for the lunch menu at $8-10. Could not imagine paying the dinner entree prices for this food though. Wait staff was awful - it took almost 30 minutes to put in our order and then they tried to clear our table while we were still eating (literally knife and fork in hand).
- The food and service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/7/2013The food and service was excellent at Luna Rossa. The server even showed us where the caves were and told us about the cave tours that are held. Everyone was polite and attendant, and the food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Once again, the food was excellent.LPatzDined on 4/6/2013Once again, the food was excellent. Had reservations but it took 3 hostesses to seat us and we waited about 10 minutes for our waitress to find us. Small mishap and overall, the meal was a wonderful experience in which I would recommend others to enjoy.Special Features:
- Try again?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Upon arriving we waited over ten minutes seated at our table for someone to acknowledge us. I thought the food was average. Veal was a bit chewy. Lamb was a small portion for the money. Service complained to us about the organization of the place and I didn't really want to hear about it. We were there for our anniversary and not in the mood to hear their problems. It was o.k. Would give it another chance someday, but not soon. There are a lot of other places to try. Waitress did fine once she got over that nobody told her she had people waiting.Special Features:
- The food and service was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2013The food and service was wonderful. I would definitely recommend dining here.Special Features:
- 1st visit to Luna rossa...not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/30/2013Slow service...took 25 minutes to get water and a glass of wine, bruschetta was horrible (bread way too thick), setting was not comfortable, wine was less than 4oz. Pasta bar was delicious.Special Features:
- Food was good, forgot ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013Food was good, forgot our appetizer, took along time to bring drinks while chatting at the bar anyway overall just ok. Music was nice.
- It was excellent food,veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2013It was excellent food,very large portions with excellent service. The manager is a GEM.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/16/2013Excellent food and service. We tried a variety of outstanding pastas. We went to celebrate a special occasion with our family and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Third visit to Luna Rossa,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2013Third visit to Luna Rossa, and let me say we love their food. We've tried several different dishes (spaghetti, manicotti, lasagna, veal parmesan and even the wood-fired pizza) on our different visits, and were never disappointed. Love the atmosphere, and have enjoyed the two gents on acoustic guitar playing on weekends. Have always had a reservation when we went, which I would recommend for Friday or Saturday evenings. On this last visit, they were quite busy and tried to seat us in some of the most undesirable locations (the table next to the front door surrounded by those waiting for tables, then a booth in the bar which was right in front of the performers' speakers (declined both times, took an extra half hour to get a decent table).Special Features:
- Great place for two or more.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2013Awesome staff..friendly, good food and decent prices. We had a great time there! The atmosphere is very European and beautiful. Make sure to peek in at the wine caves adjacent to the restaurant!Special Features:
- What a special place. TheRichDined on 1/12/2013What a special place. The burning wood stove outside totally sets you up for the experience indoors.Special Features: