Zengo - NYC
622 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Zengo - NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengony
- Phone: 2128088110
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Sandoval
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: HAPPY HOUR Monday-Friday, 5-7 at the bar.
- Special Events: Please contact Irene Costello, our Special Events Manager, at 212.808.8110 for more information regarding your next special event.
A word from Zengo - NYC
Zengo is a sophisticated blend of Latin-Asian styles and flavors. Chef Richard Sandoval, whose accolades include Bon Appétit Restaurateur of the Year and Mexico’s Toque d’Oro, artfully spins Latin-Asian ingredients into beautifully balanced dishes. Light preparations and tasting portions invite sampling and sharing a variety of items. To complement the cuisine, Zengo offers one of the largest collections of tequila and agave-based spirits in the United States. Guests may sample over 400 varieties in the downstairs Tequila Library. Zengo also boasts an extensive list of Latin wines and Japanese sakes, which are best enjoyed at the mezzanine level Wine & Sake Bar. The cocktail menu showcases Latin-Asian classics made with fine spirits and fresh, hand-muddled fruits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Zengo - NYC - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Zengo - NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)good for groups (71)special occasion (54)neighborhood gem (46)great for lunch (42)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (39)romantic (34)late-night find (17)great for brunch (15)notable wine list (12)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Restaurant week- lunchNYwildcritterVIPDined on 7/30/2014Beautiful restaurant, but service was very slow, over 1 hour of waiting for lunch food. I would not go again.Special Features:
- Great find!katieluvsflDined on 7/29/2014Was so glad we found this place during restaurant week; we'll be back throughout the year. Taking some friends this weekend! The hanger steak is a must-have and the Piso - passion fruit martini is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FusiondancesparkDined on 7/29/20142 girlfriends and I decided to try this restaurant for restaurant week. Our reservation time was 6pm, so it wasn't too crowded in the restaurant which was nice. The food was phenomenal! I really loved each of the dishes, but I especially liked the Thai Chicken Empanadas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fusion for fusion sakebabkaDined on 7/29/2014The restaurant is very very pretty., it is spacious, the space between the tables makes for easy conversation. The chairs are a bit low though comfortable. The food is very prettily served. The concept of the menu is literally fusion of any two countries imagniable. Beautifully served. east and west combined - which is unusual . I was there two days in a row, and whoever served us was charming, smiling, and helpful. I will definitely go back and I already referred people to go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decorative & DeliciousnbfoodcomaDined on 7/28/2014The food was delicious! The decor of the restaurant was also extremely cool and fun, definitely a good place to go to with friends for a late night dinner and drinks. One thing I loved about the menu was that they had suggested drink pairings with different items on the menu. Our waiter was also very helpful with giving us good food recommendations, you could tell he was genuine and really knew the menu. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZengoJaypDined on 7/25/2014The food was very good. Nice fusion of latin and Asian food. Prompt service.Special Features:
- great findfitfoodieDined on 7/24/2014I visited Zengo with a bunch of friends for Restaurant Week. The staff was very accommodating and the service was prompt. The staff sat us regardless of our lateness and our waiter suggested signature dishes for us to try. The food was very tasty with "just the right" portions. We had the Chicken Empanadas as appetizers which were delicious. The steak dinner was just as good. Dessert was a little bland compared to the other dishes but appeasing. My only criticism is that our drinks were brought out after the appetizers. Zengo was the perfect spot for a "Girl's Night Out" although it's a little too energetic for an intimate date. We really enjoyed the experience and would suggest it to family/friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food! Ok service.celiacfriendDined on 7/23/2014Amazing food and GREAT for people with dietary restrictions. However, I don't like feeling rushed when I am eating. The staff tried taking our plates several times during the same meal when there was clearly food left that we were still eating. The service was good for the most part, but please do not rush your customers when they are trying to have a relaxing meal. If we are paying for the food, we are also paying for the time and for the space. It's both rude and definitely unnecessary when there are clearly open tables and no issues with seating people. Isn't that the whole point of reservations, anyway? It definitely made the experience less enjoyable to have to feel like we needed to guard our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week "finding"gc8615Dined on 7/22/2014Don't have a chance to go out much these days, so I was surprised to learn Zengo has been so close to work for 3 yrs now. My husband and I went here for lunch during resto week and enjoyed everthing we tried, cocktails, appetizers (duck "tacos", salmon tartare, salad) main (him: chicken, me: fish) dessert (tres leches, passion fruit cheesecake). Ran out of time, but need to go back and try a "tequila that tastes like ice cream" or so my server said. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableLethVIPDined on 7/21/2014Food is always reliable. Made to order. Service is a bit slow at times.
- Slow slow slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 7/21/2014I didn't enjoy my meal. The place was only 1/3 full and it took forever for he food. After 1:15 min, I left and didn't have my dessert.
- Variable food quality and serviceNYCgirlDined on 7/16/2014We had some outstanding dishes and some mediocre dishes at my daughter's birthday dinner. Appetizers were stellar. Service was very slow. Had to go look for our waiter a few times. Fairly noisy. Would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great the 2nd time arousedChovertyDined on 7/16/2014I returned to Zengo for Summer Restaurant Week lunch after going there during Restaurant Week a few years ago. It was just as good this time around. Excellent food and, great service. The only constructive feedback I have is that on the day my friend I went the dining area was over air conditioned. I would go again and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Poor service, cold foodKparkVIPDined on 7/15/2014We had to hunt down our waiter. The cod was cold and the food took forever to arrive. This was my third time at Zengo and we were all disappointed.Special Features:
- Good place for lunchNycflipVIPDined on 7/15/2014Had the bento box. Seemed like there was very little food, but at the end of the meal, you realize that it was just perfect portions. The green papaya salad was great without being overwhelming, grilled skirt steak was very tasty and enjoyed the zengo sushi.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sangria & Fluke CevicheBevBVIPDined on 7/14/2014The red sangria at Zengo was absolutely wonderful and the fluke ceviche was off the charts. Zengo also makes a nice change for a business dinner from the traditional steakhouse - the booth seating ensures privacy for a business conversation which is great and the noise level was energetic but quiet enough that we could have a great discussion over wonderful food.Special Features:
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/14/2014tuna tacos are amazing and love the miso cod, great atmosphere with nice view. Really good food.Special Features:
- Did it againFlavaDinerDined on 7/9/2014We had a great time again! The food was great as always. We love the latin-asian fusion menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but....AgentVIPDined on 7/9/2014Very creative cuisine and well prepared. Wait staff was helpful and knowledgeable. Which made the fact that the hostesses were rude and clueless that much more odd. This restaurant is a gem. Teach your hostesses that the customer is not an interruption of their txting time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disastrous ServiceMrsNachosDined on 7/9/2014I went with a friend for lunch, hoping to have a quick and good meal. Our meal took 1.5 hours. It took us 10 minutes just to get our beverages. After our light first course, we waited over 20 minutes to get our main course. Our server never checked in on us between the first and second courses to explain why the wait was so long. After our dessert arrived, we waited another 15 minutes just to ask for our check. Our server really neglected to check in on us, and for a $25 pre fix lunch, I expected much better service.
- Great birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014The staff at Zengo accommodated my request to have a table with a great view of the venue since it was my birthday. The food, drinks and service were great, as usual. What was especially nice is that they gave me a free birthday dessert of tasty churros. :) Thanks, Zengo!Special Features:
- Good food, Rushed Servicetallmofo514Dined on 7/2/2014The food was good..had the sushi and shrimp tacos..both filled with flavor. The service, on the other hand, was very rushed. We felt like we were being pushed out the door. I was still eating appetizers and my plate was taken from me. Once they realized what they had done, the waiter brought back a new plate and fork. It's good to get apps, dinner, dessert one after the other, but the waiter handled it the wrong way and made our party feel rushed. La Biblioteca, bar downstairs, is a great Tequila bar and very lively.Special Features:
- Great Date NightOriiDined on 6/28/2014Came for a date night. Enjoyed their happy hour, even on a Saturday. Their sangria is great, so are the strawberry margaritas! Ambiance is nice and romantic, perfect for a night out with your significant other. The food was good as well - latin/asian fushion. Our favorite was the yuca (side order) and the chicken empanadas. We also tried the Volcano sushi roll, which I enjoyed, but my boyfriend said it was too fishy. There are plenty of options for all types of palates. Definitely try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed--Denver is much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/21/2014I have eaten several times at Zengo in Denver. It is a fabulous restaurant. Zengo NYC was completely disappointing. The waiter was inattentive almost to the point of being rude (Carlos). The food was fine overall but the churros were cold. Not a good experience.
- Birthday dinnerRussFoodDined on 6/21/2014Selected this restaurant for my wife's birthday. As on previous occasions, food was great with some interesting fusion tastes. Loved the churrasco which was done perfectly. Service was also very good. Cocktails could use less ice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin/Asian Fusion Works!!ComidaseliciosaNYCRW14Dined on 6/20/2014Happy hour is great. The choices of Tapas were delicious. The drinks make happy hour happier. Dinner was also delicious. I would go back, maybe go to LA Biblioteca and try some of the Tequila. Ole!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Added to fav listLuv2eatVIPDined on 6/18/2014I have been to ZENGO three times and sent colleagues as well. the food is delicious and service is good.Special Features:
- empanadas were greatRsw1Dined on 6/14/20141 - TABLES we were two people and they stuck us in back in a booth large enough for six people which was very uncomfortable. So we moved to a booth in the front, great! So we thought. DON'T SIT IN THE BOOTHS! Every time someone at an adjoining booth moves, you move too. This is really distracting. It's one thing at a cheap diner, but here? They need to fix this ASAP! 2- WAIT STAFF varies. Our server was not the most chipper, and not well trained -- meaning taking plates away while other person was not done. I expect more from this location. 3- FOOD very good. Especially the empanadas or were those the tamales in the salso mango. Whatever it was it was excellent. Other items -- salmon, scallops, were good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014it was my 2nd time visiting Zengo and the best experience again! the food was delicious, drinks we're great and the atmosphere was perfect we'll definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, interesting food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014We went at 6 pm so the restaurant was empty and quiet. We got 5 small plates for 3 people and that was plenty. The small plates wet very generous. We were told that tapas were 1/2 price for happy hour but weren't told we had to choose between the regular menu or the bar menu as only the bar menu had the half price. So that was a tiny bit disappointing. Otherwise this good was good. The croquettes of chocolate cake was a little disappointing mainly because we hadn't realized exactly what it was ; ie deep fried outside with the chocolate outside. We ignored the word croquette. The booths were very cushioned which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1104 reviews are from the Zengo - NYC reviews archive.
- Delicious & unique, great service!sas68Dined on 5/31/2014There were five of us in the party and we were all happy with our meals. We ordered a bunch of different appetizers/sides and shared most of the food. Everything I tried was prepared well and tasty! The drinks were great too, mojito, wine, sangria, martini....all were great. When we couldn't decide the waitress was kind enough and patient to let us try different options. The staff was friendly and attentive but not too attentive. All in all it was a great place and the food options were unlike any other restaurant I've even been.Special Features:
- Miso misoexistentialedgeDined on 5/28/2014Zengo is one of my favorite 'healthy' restaurants for business lunches in Midtown. The service was attentive as usual and the Tuna Tataki salad (mixed greens, avocado, watermelon, daikon sprouts, wasabi peas, lemon-wasabi dressing salad) was excellent as usual. I recommend the Miso Soup as a starter and normally it comes out savoury and hot. This time it came out luke warm which was a bit of disaapointment. However, it appeared to have some more interesting ingredients, so this was a bit of dispensation. The staff is very friendly and the smiles are real. I"ll be back again.Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre serviceCalgourmetVIPDined on 5/23/2014Visited on a Friday night, although the restaurant was not very crowded. We enjoyed all the food; very unique flavors. Tuna tacos very tasty; pad thai had nice spice to it. Limited wine menu; several wines on list not available. Waiter was slow; wine didn't arrive until after first course was served. Hard to find him after that until time for dessert. Probably wll try other restaurants next time.
- Very nice lunchNYClunchDined on 5/23/2014Went for a team lunch to celebrate a birthday at work and the food was really delcious! A little more pricey than your average lunch spot, but nice for a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Lackluster FoodAATWDined on 5/22/2014I loved everything about Zengo except the food. The pad thai was the nastiest pad thai I have ever eaten. It was super spicy and the noodled where incredible over cooked. The black cod was also grossly over cooked. The servers there we very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- overall the place was good.imafoodieDined on 5/21/2014The restaurant did not have Air conditioning and therefore was hot and uncomfortable. Toward the end of our dinner they had turn on a portable fan near our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServerKBADinerDined on 5/20/2014The server we had needed better training. He reached across our plates of food to put down drinks and take up menus -- that's a huge pet peeve of mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency and FunSidCindyVIPDined on 5/20/2014Always a good time, whether for lunch or dinner. Front staff is very accommodating, and the food emerges promptly and timely - and is always delicious. I have brought many friends from Europe as well as here, and all thank me.Special Features:
- Do you want to impress your date?PMackDined on 5/19/2014Then take her to Zengo for dinner. This is such a nice and trendy restaurtant with great food. I will definitely come back here again!Special Features:
- Amazing flavorsSpicygirlDined on 5/17/2014I was slightly hesitant after reading some other reviews whether the fusion menu worked or was weird. Well, our party of 7 picky eaters all agreed it was delicious. The Thai lettuce wraps and chimichurri steak were phenomenal, and the tuna w daikon was amazing. The space is also beautiful. The waiter was a bit brusque, but efficient. Drinks were interesting but hit or miss. I'd try the tequila bar downstairs afterwards... The bartender was crazy nice and she happily talked us through a few flights of tequila to taste.overall, thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.