587 St. Helena Hwy (Hwy 29)
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pressnapavalley.com/
- Phone: 7079670550x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service :
Wednesday – Monday
5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Bar Service :
Wednesday – Monday
5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jason Toji
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: PRESS has 3 wonderful dining locations for private parties and events. The first is a private dining room that accommodates 6 to 12 guests. The private dining room is intimate and ideal for smaller parties. The second is our beautiful, outdoor patio. The patio is a perfect setting for a Napa Valley event with a view of the western hills and vineyards, especially when lit up in the evening. The patio offers an outdoor fireplace, is partially covered, and optional heating. We would be happy to assist in arranging dinners for groups of 10 to 32 guests on our patio. Lastly, our Wine Cellar can be privately reserved for 10 to 20 guests. There is AV equipment available and a view of our collection of all Napa Valley Wines. Private party menus are custom, can include your favorite dishes from the regular menu, and dietary restrictions are easily accommodated. Please email or call Megan Chin for more information on our private spaces and assistance with creating your menu.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Chin 7079670550x
- Special Events: For events at PRESS, we offer dishes featured on our seasonal, regular dinner menu and assistance with planning the necessary details of special events. We also offer specialty cocktails, passed appetizers, fresh seafood platters, and cheese boards for guests to enjoy as part of their dining experience. Lastly, we can assist in pre-selecting wines from our notable all Napa Valley wine list. Although PRESS is only open for dinner, we can arrange for private day time events at the restaurant. Please email our Events Coordinator, Megan Chin at Megan.Chin@pressnapavalley.com or call 707.967.0550 for more information.
A word from Press
PRESS is the perfect wine country dining experience. PRESS features prime dry-aged beef, whole roasted chicken, grass fed Sonoma lamb, and fresh fish prepared on a custom wood burning grill and rotisserie. The modern farmhouse style blends with the neighboring vineyards to create a truly modern steakhouse. An award winning largely Napa Valley wine list completes the PRESS experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Press - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Press reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (102)special occasion (97)fit for foodies (85)romantic (56)good for groups (44)great for outdoor dining (42)hot spot (36)vibrant bar scene (27)neighborhood gem (24)scenic view (14)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Dinner with LorettaGregDined on 4/3/2014Hi Loretta, thanks for a great evening. Not only was the food fantastic but our waitress Loretta was outstanding. My wife had the filet and I the NY Strip. Both were cooked perfectly and had wonderful flavor, just like a fine wine. For sides the root veg and chard. Loretta liked the way I said chahhd with my Boston accent. I would highly recommend Press to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodative private roomJerryDined on 4/2/2014A great find. They will let you order off of the menu for a group of 7 or 8. Wine list is insane! Service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steakhouse in CaliforniaWine24VIPDined on 3/30/2014Consistently always great. Best cuts of meat available. Love the garden & starch items to choose from. Great variety for non meat lovers. Your wine list is delivered on an ipad and has the best of the best wines from Napa to Sonoma. My server was trying a little to hard at first but she came around at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Steak HouseAngwinTravDined on 3/24/2014Press is amazing. Food, service, and ambience are all top notch. It is the second most expensive restaurant in St. Helena however (1st being the Restaurant at Meadowood), though everything is superb. I highly recommend for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but darkTx2NapaDined on 3/23/2014So this is really a positive review. The hostess, waitstaff and sommelier were all excellent and helpful. Impressive wine list. The Bacon Flight was fun. The food was good solid fare. The only complaint was how dark the restaurant actually became as the sun went down. I always joke that a really dark restaurant is trying to hide something. Press really has nothing to hide, so why not turn up the lights a little bit so we can see each other and the lovely food on the plate. That's it really. Well done overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steaks ever!CarlDined on 3/23/2014We have avoided Press for years based on an unfavorable impression shortly after they opened. It took a friend giving us a gift certificate to Press to get us back. WOW, what a meal. The highlight was a NY Strip that was richly flavored, cooked to perfection and had a magnificent crust/char on the surface. But the rest of the meal was almost as good - Roasted maitake mushrooms that were perfectly al dente, Swiss chard that melted in your mouth, and an awesome chocolate souffle for dessert. Oh, be sure and try some truffle butter on top of your steak for an over-the-top experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2014My husband and I had a great dinner at Press. The food was spectacular and the staff was very nice and attentive. I passed by the kitchen on my way to the restroom and I happen to sneak a peak into their kitchen and they asked me to come in. They were so nice and what a kitchen. Definitely a must when going to Napa Valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expected6foodandwineloversDined on 3/20/2014It took us a couple of weeks to get a table at the time we wanted. On the day of our reservation we were able to get a table on Open Table. Our water server was the best part of the service,not only did he keep our glasses full but he also offered tips on the area and had a personality. The most frustrating part was the surrounding tables which were empty! After having such a hard time getting in, we expected the restaurant to be packed but it wasn't. My friend filet was not cooked correctly and when sent back, came back out worse and not edible! The restaurant did not charge us for her meal of course which was nice but still a disappointing experience over all. All of this being said, her husband said he'd had the "best rib eye ever!"Special Features:
- A "Don't Miss" in Napa ValleytravelmanDined on 3/19/2014We spent a week split between San Francisco and St. Helena, and tried to hit all of the best rated restaurants we could. The press was head and shoulders above all others. Pricey, of course, but well worth it in every way - ambience, food quality, service! I wish we could go back again and again, but the trip had to end.Special Features:
- I was not "im" PressedBioggregwDined on 3/15/2014The food was mediocre for the price you pay. I got a prok chop whcih was decent, but teh potato side dish and kale side dish was not good and they were expensive side dishes. The restaurant was too loud for my taste. I cannot recommend this restaurant when Napa has Cole's chophouse whcih is much better.
- We went to celebrate my girlfriend'RonaldVIPDined on 3/7/2014We went to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. I noted this in the reservation, and the restaurant gave us a nice table right in front of the fireplace. It created a really nice backdrop for the evening. The steak (bone-in ribeye for two) and sides (mac n cheese, potato cakes, and bone marrow) were all delicious. 3 sides was bit much for the two of us, but I couldn't narrow it down to just 2 when ordering. They also put a candle in our dessert, as a nice final touch. The service was great....friendly and not invasive at all. The sommelier was very helpful also. Overall, great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Money for MeatTwofootsDined on 3/1/2014Only go here if you have lots of dough to spend on lots of meats. My 8 ounce filet mignon was perfectly cooked, delicious, and cost $48. Sorry but even in Northern California that's ridiculous.Special Features:
- Always a great date night spotJMKtravelsalotVIPDined on 2/28/2014We've dined here several times while in the area. The food is consistently excellent along with the service. Wine service is professional and they will readily decant on request.Special Features:
- Beyond ExpectationOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/27/2014The best dining experience in all of Napa PERIOD! Do not pass up dinning here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I were visitingFrank1353Dined on 2/27/2014My wife and I were visiting Napa for a few days and had read some reviews on Press. Got reservations and had one of the best dinner experiences in recent memory. From the ambiance, service, food and wine, it was nothing short of outstanding. A really, really great place. If you are headed to Napa and miss Press, you've wasted a trip. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/24/2014One of the best resturants in the Bapa area ... Great great steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was exceptional,RichardDined on 2/24/2014The food was exceptional, with great service and a great wine list.Special Features:
- Amazing!SFfoodieVIPDined on 2/23/2014This was our second visit to Press and it did not disappoint. Beautiful space, gracious service and amazing food! We both had the Wagyu beef which is the most delicious steak we have ever had. Expensive but well worth it especially for a romantic evening or a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey Press impresses neverthelesssnewwithyouVIPDined on 2/22/2014The mark-up on wine is exorbitant, but the wagyu beef here isn't nearly as pricey as it is at Bourbon in the St. Francis in San Francisco. My husband and I shared a 10-oz. cut of wagyu, and we both think it's the best steak we've ever had. We shared a bottle of Biale zinfandel for over $100, but it was a delicious accompaniment to a flawless meal. In addition to the wagyu steak, we had sides of roasted Brussels sprouts and shiitake mushrooms, preceded by excellent salads. Save up and go on a special occasion, taste and study up on wines, and share the generous cuts of wagyu steak. In that way you'll mitigate against the shock of the prices and enjoy some excellent food and perhaps a glass of nice wine to go with it.Special Features:
- Visually exquisite!winedudeDined on 2/20/2014Granted, Napa Valley has dozens of culinary gems. Although the menu at PRESS is pretty limited to steak, the architecture and ambience of the building are extraordinary. That said, the prime cuts of beef and creative sides (save for the potatoes) are deliciously and appropriately prepared. The wait staff is top notch, and the wine list features some of the best local choices around. Intentionally, it's heavy on Napa, but many choices are atypical for the region - balanced, food friendly whites and reds that are hard to find in retail venues. We celebrated an anniversary, which they pleasantly acknowledged with a greeting card and a table by the fireplace! And here's a surprise... we're NOT tourists!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We think that Press is oneLuv2gooutVIPDined on 2/12/2014We think that Press is one of the best restaurants in Napa Valley. I had the veal sweetbread appetizer. The server asked what I thought of the dish. The chef wanted to have the feedback which I thought was something you don't hear very often. The small, meaty sweetbreads were delicious, lightly breaded, not a bit greasy with bit of ribbon cabbage added for a nice contrast. Overall it was a wonderful array of flavors. We both had filets cooked perfectly to our preference. My steak was with black peppercorns perched perfectly on top. Absolutely delicious. This meal was complimented with a 2010 Jones cabernet sauvignon. Perfect. We shared a large slice of chocolate cake for dessert….sinful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst serviceBMWnewDined on 2/8/2014I think our waitress was on a muscle relaxer or something. She just wasn't there mentally to service us or answer our questions. We had a guest who is sensitive to gluten and she couldn't answer any of his questions. Most restaurants are keen to gluten free or at least knows what's if there is gluten in a dish and offer to take it off. She had to ask the kitchen and when she came back she never offered an alternative. Our bill was pretty hefty and I didn't feel too happy about leaving her the tip, but we did. On a positive note the sommelier was helpful.Special Features:
- Great food, slightly older crowdJacobDined on 2/7/2014Spectacular steaks, great sides, and a no-holds barred wine list make Press a no-compromises choice quality-wise for dinner in Napa. It's a slightly older audience dining, and the prices obviously pull in a wealthier crowd. If you have the means, and enjoy great beef, great selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food marred by poor tableJacqueVIPDined on 2/7/2014We dined here for my birthday on the recommendation of a wine consultant friend who eats here often. We were seated at a two-top next to a party of 10, and a party of four who had an ill-behaved two yr. old, who they allowed to run around the table, swing on her high chair, scream and get in the waiters' way. Our table was the only one without a light above it, necessitating the use of our Flashlight app to read the menu. The service was truly excellent and attentive and the sommelier very helpful! We split the 24 oz. ribeye and it was beautifully cooked with a wonderful char and cool center. The steak tartare we had to start was very good and hand-chopped as we prefer. The chocolate soufflé was good but not remarkable.Special Features:
- ExcellentChristineDined on 2/7/2014We had a table for two right in front of the fireplace. Everything was exceptional from the moment we walked in to our departure. The shrimp cocktail was meaty and delicious. My boyfriend had the ny strip - a huge portion that was tasty and tender. Our Server made us feel welcome and answered all questions about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little VarietyWaytogoVIPDined on 2/7/2014Have noticed the Variety of food choices is shrinking and the same items on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceSusanDined on 2/6/2014Wonderful food. Atmosphere added to the experience. Very good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Press dunnerYumyumDined on 2/2/2014Oysters were fishy. Crab lobster cake was so fishy we sent it back. But filet fabulous and very accommodating staff. Lovely atmospereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatly exceeds expectations.samgoodDined on 2/2/2014greatly exceeds expectations. outstanding service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Filet!Whatz4DinnerVIPDined on 2/1/2014I had the Filet Mignon. It was perfect! Perfectly pink on the inside with a crispy char on the outside. My companions loved their choices too. I will try the roasted chicken next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the money!MarshapDined on 1/31/2014We did not enjoy this restaurant. The tables were so close together, we felt like we were dining with both sets of neighbors. Every time our neighbor on the right got up, I had to hang on to my wine glass so he wouldn't knock it over. The noise level was ridiculous. Couldn't see the menus, it was so dark. Had to use the flashlights on our phones. The food was very expensive too, even by Napa standards. We don't mind paying for good food, but the food wasn't all that good either. Our friend ordered a $60 steak that was just okay. Then everything else was a la carte. Vegetables, starches, etc. had a much better meal at Mustards.
- Wonderful Find in St HelenaSandiDined on 1/29/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Press thanks to a recommendation from a local who said he thought we would be pleased. Fantastic service, selection and ambience. Press stands apart from its competition and is definately worth the visit.Special Features:
- a winnerBodyslamDined on 12/30/2013Once again, a great meal, a great overall dining experience. The wine list is very extensive, and notable for offering hundreds of choices if you're looking for a bottle at the $200 level or higher. Curiously, we had a little more trouble finding something of interest to us than we usually do, but we had been wine-tasting most of the day so we weren't too disappointed. The Basil Beauty cocktail had been taken off the menu as it's not high season for basil. Yet they were nice enough to make us a couple. That is one gorgeous tasting cocktail. We also tried one of the winter cocktails currently featured, and it was also excellent. We can no longer imagine spending a couple of days in the Napa Valley without including a visit to Press.Special Features:
- Napa valley diningDonaldDined on 12/28/2013Press is a very beautiful restaurant who's simple but elegant interior is a big surprise given that the so so curb appeal! Mostly a place for meat lovers who will not be disappointed in the quality or preparation. My only complaint is that the extensive wine list sports a higher than normal markup, and given that most of the wines are from neighboring cellars one would expect the wines to be more approachable or at least an offering of good but less pricy wines which abound in Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Press never disappoints! GreatSardelVIPDined on 12/28/2013Press never disappoints! Great food and service. We split a salad and entree. Our salad came to the table already split, which was nice. Not all places will do that. They offered to split and slice our steak, but we prefer to do that ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I appreciate the little thingsClarkDined on 12/27/2013Press offers both still and sparkling water. I had the sparkling and my wife had the still. Our glasses were kept full the entire night and there was never a mixup. Attention to the small details such as the water options make for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great for a special occasionboochompDined on 12/22/2013We had a wonderful time here for our anniversary. The food was excellent and we especially love the brussel sprout side dish. Well worth trying!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Press is one of my favoritePattyVIPDined on 12/16/2013Press is one of my favorite restaurants in the Napa Valley. Both the food and service were excellent. We ordered the mushroom risotto and brussel sprouts for side dishes to share both complimented the meal perfectly. I had the 8 oz. veal chop and my friends shared the Rib Eye. both delicious. We finished the evening with chocolate souffle's, which were excellent. Thank you for a nice evening.Special Features:
- never disappoints...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/14/2013Love this place. Melanie the bartender knows her cocktails. Servers are very helpful, and food is amazing. Filet mignon, NY strip, mushrooms, Mac & cheese, chocolate soufflé. Wow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outvinoporvidaDined on 12/13/2013Food was delicious, my choice was the bacon sampler & Bone in Ribeye who needs sides? Had a bottle of Kathryn Hall's 2008 Bergfeld to wash it down.Special Features: