587 St. Helena Hwy (Hwy 29)
St. Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pressnapavalley.com/
- Phone: 7079670550x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service :
Wednesday – Monday
5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Bar Service :
Wednesday – Monday
5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jason Toji
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: PRESS has 3 wonderful dining locations for private parties and events. The first is a private dining room that accommodates 6 to 12 guests. The private dining room is intimate and ideal for smaller parties. The second is our beautiful, outdoor patio. The patio is a perfect setting for a Napa Valley event with a view of the western hills and vineyards, especially when lit up in the evening. The patio offers an outdoor fireplace, is partially covered, and optional heating. We would be happy to assist in arranging dinners for groups of 10 to 32 guests on our patio. Lastly, our Wine Cellar can be privately reserved for 10 to 20 guests. There is AV equipment available and a view of our collection of all Napa Valley Wines. Private party menus are custom, can include your favorite dishes from the regular menu, and dietary restrictions are easily accommodated. Please email or call Megan Chin for more information on our private spaces and assistance with creating your menu.
- Private Party Contact: Megan Chin 7079670550x
- Special Events: For events at PRESS, we offer dishes featured on our seasonal, regular dinner menu and assistance with planning the necessary details of special events. We also offer specialty cocktails, passed appetizers, fresh seafood platters, and cheese boards for guests to enjoy as part of their dining experience. Lastly, we can assist in pre-selecting wines from our notable all Napa Valley wine list. Although PRESS is only open for dinner, we can arrange for private day time events at the restaurant. Please email our Events Coordinator, Megan Chin at Megan.Chin@pressnapavalley.com or call 707.967.0550 for more information.
A word from Press
PRESS is the perfect wine country dining experience. PRESS features prime dry-aged beef, whole roasted chicken, grass fed Sonoma lamb, and fresh fish prepared on a custom wood burning grill and rotisserie. The modern farmhouse style blends with the neighboring vineyards to create a truly modern steakhouse. An award winning largely Napa Valley wine list completes the PRESS experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Press - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Press reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (95)special occasion (84)fit for foodies (81)good for groups (49)romantic (42)hot spot (33)great for outdoor dining (33)neighborhood gem (27)vibrant bar scene (24)scenic view (9)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not At The Top of Its GameKrisVIPDined on 8/9/2014Press has been a favorite for quite some time but our latest visit was a disappointment. The prices have risen dramatically while the food preparation has suffered. I think $14 for an ear of corn, or $26 for six bacon slices is over the top and uncalled for. The tomatoes in my $20 salad were not trimmed correctly making some pieces inedible, the chocolate souffle was undercooked, and the lobster/crab cake was a gooey mess. Obviously more oversight is needed in the kitchen to warrant their higher prices. We will not be returning.Special Features:
- Love this place!AustinVIPDined on 8/8/2014Had a Grass fed Bavette Hanger steak that was just divine with the hen of the woods mushrooms. Chocolate soufflé was very fluffy and had great texture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMikeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was great. Bar selections were awesome. Great Bourbon list!! Coming from Vegas and the vibrant bar restaurants with so much to chose from this place can hold its own. Bacon appetizer sampler was awesome. Steak cooked to perfection. Knowledgeable bar staff. Will return next time when in Napa.Special Features:
- Not the Usual Experienceedithwharton37VIPDined on 8/2/2014I have been to Press numerous times, but this last experience was less than satisfactory. My steak was over-cooked, and the server was clearly disappointed to be waiting on a table of two females who were not racking up a huge bill. I never felt so unappreciated in a restaurant and then when the food came out and it was a severe disappointment. My steak was re-done and it was def. good, but for their reputation and standards this experience was less than satisfactory. Hopefully it was just an off night....Special Features:
- Good Service, Salty SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014Wait staff was very helpful and attentive. Wine list was big but overpriced. My $70 grass fed steak was so salty it was nearly inedible. Two other steaks at the table were overcooked; one was voluntarily returned by the waitress to be refired. NO green veggies in the house (guess Safeway wasn't open?). Other places in the valley to enjoy.Special Features:
- JakeVIPDined on 7/26/2014This was not a memorable experience, food was Good, but not a "WOW" factor, Menu was extremely limited for side dishes. Green Vegetables ?Special Features:
- Better at the BardiningDined on 7/26/2014Great Bacon appetizer and bar snacks. Dinner dissapointing - ok food, overpriced for the experience. Far better local dining in Yountville (Ciccio , ADHOC), Rutherford (Rutherford Grill)as a home owner in St Helena (Tra Vigne, Farmstead, & Cook).Special Features:
- Foodie HeavenCaliCoutureDined on 7/19/2014What a memorable dining experience--everything was perfect from beginning to end. Voluminous wine list, however, we opted to carry in our wine and pay the reasonable corkage fee. The sommelier promptly chilled our sparking and opened/aerated our 16-year old Cab, to enjoy with dinner. I've been red-meat free for quite some time, but my visit to Press prompted me to order their succulent steak as a treat to myself--no regrets. Cozy outdoor seating with hearth; well stocked bar serving top shelf libations (hello Hangar One bourbon!), wait staff was superb. A bit pricey but YOLO and Press is definitely splurge-worthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience!MSIMPSDined on 7/14/2014One of the better restaurants I've been to in Napa. Great scene, great food, excellent steak!Special Features:
- Excellent food, servos not goodFernisDined on 7/14/2014It seemed as if they had forgotten about our food! We did not order appetizers, and it took an hour for the food to come out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Press2livewellDined on 7/14/2014Located in St Helena, Press restaurant delivered a near perfect dining experience. The wine list was the star, and the beautifully prepared food was a harmonious accompaniment. We paired cold cucumber soup with several whites by the glass before enjoying chicken for two and a split of Bond Vecina 2009. A single slice of Valhrona chocolate cake proved a great finish to the meal. The room at sunset was glowing, and the servers were knowledgeable and gracious at all times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014I am always a little cynical when it comes to steak-centric restaurants especially given the reviews I read before visiting. Our experience was a memorable one and I'll definitely make it back for another visit. The service was warm, friendly and just attentive enough. I especially thank the sommelier who pointed us in the right direction on several very reasonably bottles from the extensive list. The steaks were sublime and cooked to perfection and of the family style sides try the creamed kale. For desert we shared a soufflé as the perfect ending to the meal. The restaurant had great energy; the room a great mix of modern barn with just the right touch of elements that make you feel like you are in wine country!Special Features:
- Expensive steak in a cool decor!CholmondeleyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Have driven past many times and finally made it for dinner. We started with a cocktail in the lovely "outdoor room". Restaurant has a light rustic but hip vibe. Loved the ambience. Overall, food was very good but would expect nothing less as we made pretty basic selections... Chopped salad, Shrimp cocktail, Filet mignon. Steaks were ordered medium but one was on the well side and one on the rare side. Luckily, we swapped and were happy. Soggy fries - inexcusable! Chocolate soufflé was superb, ordered at the time of ordering entrees, but arrived very, very late to the table so I think she forgot it. The service was not very attentive. Shout out to the female sommelier - loved her! Expensive, tasty and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid everytime.JohnbungeeVIPDined on 7/11/2014Best eggs in the Napa Valley. Great wine list. Great specialty drinks. Great chocolate cake. Lovely room. Not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Birthday DinnerJesssDined on 7/9/2014We dined for my boyfriend's birthday and it was absolutely fantastic. From the 2010 Saintsbury Pinot Noir to Crab/Lobster cakes to the FIlet with Mushrooms and don't get me started on the truffle mac n cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They even brought him a slice of cheesecake that wasn't on the menu because it is his favorite, very kind of them! We had a wonderful time and just can't wait to go back and sit outside!Special Features:
- Great ambience, great foodbunnyrulesDined on 7/7/2014Took my family here on a Monday night. As requested, we got seated outdoor right in front of the fireplace - which is the best table in the house in our opinion. Cannot be happier with the food and the service. Thank you Press for a great night :)Special Features:
- Our perfect 4th of JulyMattVIPDined on 7/4/2014We always come here for the 4th and this year especially the food was more than outstanding!! Bravo to the chef and his staff. The waitstaff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!LovelyTXDined on 7/2/2014The food was great. Wine was good. Service was on point. One of the wine cellars we visited recommended the bacon appetizer. It wasn't on the main dining room menu, just the bar menu, but our server said we could still get it. It was well worth the calories. After all, it was vacation. We ate every ounce of it. Salads are big, even the side salads. Steaks are spot on. Yum!Special Features:
- The following 997 reviews are from the Press reviews archive.
- Average steak, just average...lalazhuDined on 6/29/2014We were really looking forward to dinning ar Press. Ordered a couple salads and appetizers, followed with steak dinner: filet mignon, ribeye, as well as the grass fed bavette, finished up with chocolate soufflé, strawberry shortcake...etc. Well, regardless how it tasted, at least 2 of the 5 of us had the runs within 2 hours, and one of us had excruciating stomach pain. Now on to the food, it's relatively pricy, 8oz steak for about $35~$48 depending on the cut. Is it worth it? We have had better and cheaper. Definitely not memorable. The highlight of the night was actually the coffee, rich and creamy. It's from a local coffee company in San Francisco. If you are looking for the best steak of your life, this is not the place, sorry... My 2c.
- Beef Eater UniteFrancoDined on 6/29/2014If you are interested in enjoying the best steaks in Napa Valley in a crisp, bright and enjoyable setting you must hurry and book a table at Press. The food, service and surrounding are wonderful. Start with the Press G&T and the rest will fall into place. The meat selection is a bit pricey but the buttery, smokey taste makes it all worthwhile. You can pass on the Fruit and Veggie salad but the must have Chocolate Dessert is a great cap to an almost perfect meal.Special Features:
- A NEW CHEF AT PRESS . . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 6/28/2014This is one (of many) of our favorite restaurants in the Napa Valley. Although the new Chef (as expected) seems to be putting a new spin on things. We started with the Half Maine Lobster Cocktail ($21) which was good, but not great. We then had the Little Gem Chopped Salad ($16) which used to be a fantastic salad, until they messed with it. We then shared the Hanger Steak ($40) with the Truffle Butter and a side of Sauteed Mushrooms, all good, but not a $40 Hanger Steak (of all cuts)! Also had the Potato Cake ($11) which was decent, but a little dry. We ended with the Sundae ($13) it was very bland and light on toppings. I ordered a Capuccino and it was very weak / flavored water . . . New Chef or Off Night . . . or Both . . . not sure ?!Special Features:
- Spectacular!FoodloverDined on 6/27/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Napa, with the valley's best wine list. Spectacular service, wonderful ambience, a perfect place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Exquisite ExperienceMarnieDined on 6/20/2014The food along with the service was exquisite. Our gulf shrimp cocktail was amazing. I highly recommend the truffle Mac...We split a 24oz. dry aged ribeye that had a cheery wood char to die for. We are already planning our next reservation....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Me PleaseScribbyDined on 6/18/2014Our favorite steak place in the Napa Valley. A definite go-to spot.Special Features:
- loved itNikoS76Dined on 6/14/2014Had dinner here and it was great. the ambience and food were so great that I didn't notice that we were sitting right next to Joe Lacob, the owner for the Golden St. Warriors.Special Features:
- Always great to be hereBonApetiteVIPDined on 6/13/2014Nothing negative to say about press, great food, great service and very very well done interior setting...I always make it a point to stop by here when visiting the wine country!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at PressJodiDined on 6/11/2014Fabulous service and our dinner was outstanding! We shared the lamb dish and it was great! Our waiter was very friendly and helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Turning30Dined on 6/11/2014We went to celebrate my birthday and it was amazing food. It didn't feel stuffy though the food was out of this world. So good! Definitely will go back when I'm in napa again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't Deserve Its "Press"LuvLuluDined on 6/11/2014Don't bother. This place is overpriced and pretentious. We were so looking forward to trying it on our trip to the Valley ... and are sorry we did. We were seated at a lousy table (even though we made the reservation weeks in advance and the place was 1/2 full); the service was lacking in attentiveness; the steaks were not cooked properly; and the menu was incredibly limited for anyone who doesn't want a huge chunk of meat (with no evening special from the chef). With the very high prices, there's simply no excuse - especially in this competitive region for great restaurants.
- Favorite Napa restaurantFrequentDinerDined on 6/8/2014I try to visit every time I'm in Napa. Love it. Favorite among vintners as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for food qualitylove2tasteDined on 6/6/2014I felt I was in the wrong place. Busy night, but should not be an excuse for the experience I had. 1/2 hour wait for appetizers. The anticipation of the Rib Eye Steak, aged, oak fire grilled, medium rare, would be worth the another 1/2 hour wait for my steak. So disappointed when I was served a odd shaped hunk of meat. It resembled the end cut of a Tri-Tip. I cut into it and it was grilled on the outside, but the center was raw and uncooked. I would have asked for a re-fire, but the waitress took 15 minutes to come back and check on our food. I did not want to be wait again, so I ate the side dishes, and asked to just take the steak home. The server forgot and they threw it away. Very expensive mistake, all I got was "Sorry"Special Features:
- Great placeSteakhouseGuyDined on 6/4/2014This was a great place. Not only were their steak excellent but their appetizers at the bar are also very good. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Always GreatMontyVIPDined on 6/4/2014Press is one of the truly hot spots of Napa, frequented as is it by vintners and well-to-do visitors. Under new (about a year) manager Spencer Weiss and new chef (a couple of weeks) Trevor Kunk, Press is concentrating more on using regional produce and livestock to create a truly Napa expereince. The food, always excellent, may be even better than before. Do not miss the chef's version of beef tartare, and even if you don't usually order chicken when going out, this is the place to make an exception. Of course Press is known for its beef and the reviews there are also exemplary. The bar is one of the most creative, the all Napa wne list fabulous in choice and vintages, and the service is always friendly and professional. A wonderful stop.Special Features:
- Perfect!live4goodfoodDined on 6/2/2014Visited Press for a special occasion. Royal treatment all the way. It was perfect as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pressing hardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014The restaurant had very good food and comfortable atmosphere. You did feel rushed by the waitress and sommelier. That's very distracting when you put $500 down on a dinner for two. It your in a hurry it's the place for you. If you like o take your time go somewhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful meal!Melissag1213Dined on 5/31/2014We decided to dine here based on the recommendations of several locals. We opted to dine outside on their beautiful patio. Our server was super. Often in high end restaurants, the servers can be stuffy and way too formal. Our server was friendly and and genuinely a nice young man. Service was spot on without being rushed. We had enough wine from tasting all day, so we had cocktails from the bar. Their house Gin and Tonic was amazing! My husband had their Dry Aged Ribeye and he swears it was one of the best he's ever had. He's had the best stakes from Shula's and Vic and Anthony's, so that's saying a lot! I had the 6oz Filet and it was perfect. The Truffle Mac n Cheese and Morel Mushroom were to die for! When in Napa Valley, go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotRegmrgVIPDined on 5/25/2014if you want traditional american in napa, heres your place.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Press as we celebrated our first anniversary. The service was great and the food was delicious. We ordered the crabcakes w/ lobster, filets, and the mac & cheese. We definitely are a little picky about our beef (being from TX) but we were very satisfied with all of our food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoriteOutstandingVIPDined on 5/24/2014We always look forward to dining at Press. The level of this restaurant is far beyond a lot of well know dining establishments in the Napa area. You know what you are getting and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Outstandingxsvette1VIPDined on 5/24/2014Every element of the dining experience was a delight. The Bacon Bar is an indulgence, but well worth it! The wine list is superb, and of course the entrees are out of this world. Definitely an all-time favorite restaurant!!Special Features: