1990 M Street
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vidaliadc.com/
- Phone: 2026591990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Closed until September 12, 2010
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Buben
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Vidalia is now doing off premise catering. Call Jacqueline Herrera for your special events.
A word from Vidalia
Chef/owner Jeffrey Buben's Vidalia features an expanded bar with 30 wines by the glass, a beautiful private dining room for groups up to 40 people, our wine room and a soft contemporary dining room featuring warm, rich fabrics incorporated in new booths, banquets and comfortable dining chairs. We look forward to seeing you and also invite you to Chef Buben's second restaurant, Bistro Bis, located next to the Hotel George on Capital Hill. Visit our web site at www.vidaliadc.com or www.bistrobis.com to find out more about both Vidalia and Bistro Bis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vidalia - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Vidalia reviews from OpenTable diners
247 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (169)fit for foodies (163)romantic (114)great for lunch (59)notable wine list (59)neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (40)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Service, Better FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/24/2014It's been several years since I visited Vidalia, but just ate there again on a recent business trip to DC. The service remains oustanding - attentive but in no way intrusive - and our server made a number of great suggestions that we were glad we followed. But it was the food that I remembered from my last visits and it was as good as I remembered! A great blend of seasonal favorites with a southern flair - everyone at the table was thrilled with their choices. I'll make it a point to return.Special Features:
- 10th or 11th visit; it must be goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/24/2014I am changing jobs, so I took my team out for a "thank you" luncheon. Although a small restaurant, they accommodated my party of 10. Several of my former colleagues are Hindu and thus vegetarian. They were happy with the blue-plate special, which is a far cry from what many restaurants put in front of vegetarians. I opted for the fried chicken, which as far as I know has been on the menu since Vidalia opened years ago. It's still the best yard-bird in D.C. It's Southern cooking, if your mamma went to the culinary schoolSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014Vidalia never disappoints. Great good. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulStpauljoeDined on 7/19/2014Everything about our experience at Vidalia was worth noting. The food was fantastic and the service was equally good. Highly recommend Vidalia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vtfoodievtfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Great experience, waiter well versed in all aspects of menu and wine list. Service was discreet and unobtrusive. Food was over the topSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationPMFCDined on 7/18/2014Had been to Vidalia before and knew it was a great place to celebrate a birthday. We both had the Chef's Tasting Menu and it was fantastic! Service was great and personalized for our occasion.Special Features:
- Very good food, outstanding serviceJayHDined on 7/17/2014I was very happy with everything. Food was delicious, our waiter was superb and the ambience also pleasant. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably inventiveDinnerDivaVIPDined on 7/17/2014The $20 3-course weekday lunch at Vidalia is great. I ordered spicy watermelon gazpacho, nouvelle etouffe, and a cheese plate dessert -- all with memorable flavor combinations. One can converse easily in the dining room. The service is reasonably attentive. What's not to like?Special Features:
- Incredible ExperienceMagnificat2005Dined on 7/16/2014We came here to celebrate an anniversary and Vidalia didn't disappoint. It was top-notch in every regard. Charleston Tea, oyster pan roast, and chess pie were real stand-outs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!ShirlandAprilVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is my all time favorite restaurant. I would travel to DC just to dine at Vidalia. The roasted vidalia onions with oxtail butter were divine. The sweetbreads were perfect. Hooray for food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dctravelerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Beautiful dining area. Outstanding, creative appetizers blending old southern cooking with modern cuisine. Great selection of main courses. Every dish well prepared and beautifully presented. Outstanding service; attentive but not intrusive. Fabulous pecan pie!!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulnobhillgemDined on 7/9/2014As usual everything about our recent meal at Vidalia was topnotch. The best bread basket ever - for any city and every dish was delightful. The service is attentive and professional but not "stuffy." A DC treasure and we try to dine there whenever we are in the city.Special Features:
- Always goodSteveVIPDined on 7/9/2014I get there about one time a year. Went with a couple this time and we each had a terrific meal. Nice selection of wines by the glass and of daily specials. Possible to order things that are not over the top fattening, but lots of such dishes on the menu. Nice decor and quiet and comfortable. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to re-visitRicinVaDined on 7/5/2014It had been awhile since dined here. The food was great as I remember. The Shrimp and Grits were as remembered - excellent. The Rabbit Loin was also a very nice dish. The pecan pie was delicious. The surprise dessert was the grapefruit one. Really good and accented with grapefruit pop rocks.Special Features:
- DuckSoup11VIPDined on 7/1/2014As always, great food. Our party of four variously enjoyed wonderful squid-ink tortellini stuffed with crab and garnished with pickled ramps; an excellent tilefish preparation; loin of rabbit, and several other interesting and original dishes. Service was knowledgeable without being distant. There's a large wine list with lots of choices, though many seem on the high side. Also, Vidalia is offering special cocktails as aperitifs, have a look at the choices. Side note: Almost every time I go to Vidalia I overhear somebody expecting classic "Southern food", and being disappointed not to find it. So be forewarned: that's not what they do here. This is contemporary cuisine, sometimes inspired by southern tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very complex menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/27/2014As someone who eats in a lot of towns around the US and Europe I found myself having to ask about numerous items on the menu. I had no idea what squid ink, ramps, and Ox tail butter was and when I asked it was like "how do you not know that". So great for foodies who love that. Food was very very good but place was dead and the service was slow on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food at VidaliaJakeFoodieVIPDined on 6/26/2014I hadn't eaten at Vidalia for over a year when I recently had dinner there. My meal made me realize I missed dining there. Excellent from start to finish. The duck entree is extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedLazloDined on 6/25/2014Took business clients there anticipating great atmposphere AND food. Two of us had steaks . The expense would have been justified if the food wasnt AWFUL. I could get better, more tasteful, less chewey steaks at Outback. I was frankly appauled, and totally underwhelmed. Dinner was $300 for three people. But I felt like I was payging for the ability to say I went to a restaurant that the Clintons and other famous folks have been too. Signed letters, a wall of fame photos and some really not good food.
- A real treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The melon soup was a delight! Loved the friendly service. PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2664 reviews are from the Vidalia reviews archive.
- A Solid Serene PerformerAnnemddcDined on 6/24/2014They've never dropped a stitch. They had artisanal cocktails way back before it was cool. The dining room is underground, I find it cool and comforting on a hot day, cozy on a cold one. As a southerner, I can vouch for the biscuits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/24/2014We had a wonderful evening at Vidalia. We had Shad Row Salad, crab cake and Chilled Strawberry Soup for appretizers. All delicious! Our entrees were shrimp and grits, vegetable medly and branzino, with sides of corn and vidalia onions. Again, all excellent. Desserts were caramel cake, pecan pie and lemon chess pie. Ditto. But as good as the food was, the service was even better. Jill took care of us - including our special requests - every step of the way. She was pleasant and knowlegable and let us dine at our own pace. We were celebrating two birthdays, and I could not have asked for a better way to do so!
- Still greatFood4lifeDined on 6/24/2014We've been going here off and on for 17 years and they manage to keep the quality high. Our most recent time was for lunch. Service was perfect - we had the $19.90 3 course special, and each dish was just wonderful. Fresh ingredients, good presentation, flavorful and appropriate size portions. They offered some nice wines by the glass at a decent price point (good for lunch). We'll make it a point to get back for dinner again soon.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceMrFoodyDined on 6/14/2014I have been a patron of Vidalia for the past 11 years. Their new items added to their menu are exceptional along with their service. I Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- good food,close to Nat Geo HQcolduserVIPDined on 6/13/2014We did our usual share 2 appetizers and 1 entrée plus the namesake onion dish. They split the appetizers for us, and we had plenty of nicely done medium-rare loin of lamb. The sweetbreads were delicious as was the crab appetizer. Don't miss the onion dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back in FormSonomaGuyDined on 6/12/2014We had our anniversary dinner there and it was, in a word, awesome. Wife's crab cakes were the best she's ever had, her pan fried oyster appetizer was out of this world, my beet salad and tile fish were superb! Worth every penny -Special Features:
- Amazing, as always.HarrigemDined on 6/12/2014Came back to Vidalia for anniversary. Food and service were glorious as usual. I nearly dropped my fork after trying the fois gras--I would gladly have that dish as my last meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Know What They are Doing!KatieGDined on 6/10/2014We were looking for a place with good food, good service and quiet enough we could carry on a conversation. We found that in spades. A well thought-out Southern-inspired menu; service that was personable and professional without being too intrusive; beautiful presentation and truly superb food. We all raved about out dishes. Our next trip to D.C. will definitely include another visit to this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphere and foodKathyinMDVIPDined on 6/6/2014Four of us ate dinner here and really enjoyed the cocktails, wine selection and food. Had drinks at the bar twice before and enjoyed it.Special Features:
- esknDined on 6/4/2014Vidalia is an upscale restaurant, with a tilt toward US southern cuisine. The restaurant has an elegant appearance and is very quiet, as tables are spaced relatively far apart. That setting makes it particularly appropriate for a business lunch. The food is consistently well-prepared, and service is efficient. The restaurant is quite willing to make adjustments to certain dishes to accommodate individual diner preferences (e.g. removing almonds from a salad). I have had several dishes here, including fried chicken and grilled flat iron steak, and in each case, I found the dishes more than satisfactory. The prices are not cheap, but not particularly exorbitant either. Overall, this is a fine establishment for a business lunch.Special Features:
- excellenteatoutfrequentDined on 6/3/2014I came here 4 years ago. It's a sign of a great restaurant when they can maintain such quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva Vidalia!JLSCTVIPDined on 6/2/2014Wanted to try Vidalia's "1990 Lunch" for ages, but could never find a weekday off from work when the rotating menu also suited our tastes. Finally played hooky to celebrate a recent birthday that included 2 weekdays. Spent the Fri. before my birthday w/ lunch @ La Ferme in Chevy Chase (wonderful; read our reviews also posted here) & spent the Mon. immediately after my birthday w/ lunch @ Vidalia. For modest sum of "$19.90" we enjoyed appetizers of terrific cornmeal fried oysters, entrees of pork tenderloin w/ picked cherries & enoki mushrooms, plus devil’s food cake w/ milk chocolate feuilletine crunch, chocolate malt mousse, cocoa chantilly for dessert. Portions were elegant but filling & service was wonderful. A lovely experience! A+Special Features:
- Very special evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014This dining was one of best I have had in my life. Everything was simply incredible for our anniversary. The food, service and ambiance was all we could ask for. We got the five course tasting menu. The seared Foie Gras, Shrimp and, Low Country Greens, and SweetBreads were from another world-I ordered some to go! The desserts were very tasty as well. We left fat and happy and we will be back.Special Features:
- FantasticDanielDined on 5/29/2014Had the tasting menu. Pricey at $80, but consists of two apps (one hot, one cold) one seafood entree and one meat entree, and a dessert. All of diner's choice from the menu, just slightly smaller portions. Great value. Barman makes a mean sazerac, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid if not safe.Adrock2200Dined on 5/29/2014Had a very good meal. My only criticisms are minor. The food, while delicious, is not very innovative. The restaurant seems a bit stuck in time.....reminds me of the top notch restaurants of 1992. My other criticism is that I was never offered the wine list.....nothing beyond the initial drink menu.....oopsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, long waitAroundTheCorner86Dined on 5/29/2014I have been to Vidalia several times and the food has been, and was, excellent. However, every time I have been for lunch, the wait to be served has gotten longer. This time, my party arrived a few minutes after 12 and was promptly seated. We knew we were on a schedule and skipped appetizers, ordering as soon as our drinks were brought. We were not served for over 45 minutes, even though our choices were not complex (burgers, crab cakes, and a side salad). We mentioned the delay to our server and it still took a considerable time after for our food to arrive. It was hot when it arrived, so I do not know what the delay in starting the prep was for.Special Features:
- OutstandingSusanneVIPDined on 5/27/2014Service at this restaurant is outstanding. The food is creative and very tasty - always with a surprise.Special Features:
- Good Food, Mediocre ServiceFoodforthoughtDined on 5/25/2014Vidalia's food is inventive, interesting and comforting. Souther-inspired with a sophisticated flair. The service is close to abominable. The staff is poorly trained. Dishes were cleared before everyone at the table was finished eating. After finishing a very nice bottle of wine nobody came to the table to ask if more was wanted. We had to pour it ourselves. Once someone did come and we asked to see the wine list again, they did not return until the meal was finished, which was too late for the wine. We had to make do with water. The servers were pleasant enough, but, again, I'll trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VidaliaNessa1dcDined on 5/25/2014The Service was impeccable, the food was just ok... I had the shrimp and grits which was delicious, but the portion was a bit small considering the amount. The Shrimp were plentiful, but the grits were 1/2 teaspoon. We couldn't say enough about the service. They made our Anniversary dinner special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsMurfDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary. We got the 5 course tasting menu, and everything was excellent. You can tell there was real thought and care put into the composition of the dishes. Our server was attentive and helpful, even when we realized that we were going to have to take some home (and this really is not a typical doggy bag restaurant)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner, nothing specialHomerDined on 5/24/2014Food was good but wasn't anything special. Service was attentive. Martini was one of the best my wife has had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.