1990 M Street
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vidaliadc.com/
- Phone: 2026591990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Closed until September 12, 2010
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Buben
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Vidalia is now doing off premise catering. Call Jacqueline Herrera for your special events.
A word from Vidalia
Chef/owner Jeffrey Buben's Vidalia features an expanded bar with 30 wines by the glass, a beautiful private dining room for groups up to 40 people, our wine room and a soft contemporary dining room featuring warm, rich fabrics incorporated in new booths, banquets and comfortable dining chairs. We look forward to seeing you and also invite you to Chef Buben's second restaurant, Bistro Bis, located next to the Hotel George on Capital Hill. Visit our web site at www.vidaliadc.com or www.bistrobis.com to find out more about both Vidalia and Bistro Bis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Vidalia - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Vidalia reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (155)fit for foodies (146)romantic (101)notable wine list (50)great for lunch (50)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (30)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Just go thereLisaSilvDined on 8/12/2014Delicious food. Great vegetarian options that can be made vegan. Classy atmosphere. Excellent service. Don't let the fact that you have to go downstairs off M Street scare you. You will be wowed when you get down there.Special Features:
- Good food but staff was pretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/12/2014Dined for restaurant week. Started off with the Pork Fritter. Flavor was ok. Enjoyed the fried green tomatoes more. Shrimp and grits was delicious. Peach dessert would have been more enjoyable with more crust. Front staff were having conversations that should take place in a break room not in front of guests.
- Simply the best!BuckerVIPDined on 8/12/2014Every lunch at Vidalia becomes an occasion. No wonder it's my #1 choice for lunch -- great food, polished service, tasteful ambiance. Vidalia has it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A ClassicWDC1VIPDined on 8/12/2014Vidalia remains a classic in the Washington DC dining scene. Vidalia has the absolutely best lunch menu in DC filled with regularly updated fresh ingredient offerings. The most recent treat was a peach gazpacho which was truly heavenly. Service is top notch without being intrusive, provided by wait staff that know their menu inside out. Don't miss an opportunity to enjoy Vidalia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Was Just OkbritccVIPDined on 8/12/2014I was excited to try their shrimp and grits as the server said it was their signature dish. It was just ok. Not very flavorful, the shrimp were not seasoned. Quite a disappointment if this is what they are known for. The center of the restaurant is quite nice, but we sat in the side room which was bland at best. After clearing the table after appetizers, they brought out the dessert menu, not even noticing we have not had our main yet. This is supposed to be a fine dining experience, right? Dessert... what a disappointment and it could have been so good! Cold cobbler and pies with ice cream?? Cold peach cobbler? If this is a southern fine dining experience, you should know better; it should be warm! All in all, just ok.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week FindLauraVIPDined on 8/11/2014Decided to try Vidalia for restaurant week. It was my first visit, and I was pleased to see a VERY robust Restaurant Week menu. I dined with a friend and between the two of us we ordered the Steak Tartar and Smoked Salmon appetizers. Both were tasty, but neither "wowed" us. However for our main course we shared the Porkbelly and Salmon entrees, which were both absolutely delicous. The best part to the meal by far was our dessert, the Pecan Pie, which was absolutely the best I've ever had. The peach crumble was tasty, but didn't hold a candle to the pie. Our server was excellent and made great suggestions. I would definitely go back outside of restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectJustKaramelDined on 8/11/2014I visited Vidalia during restaurant week and it's a fabulous value. Our server extrodinaire, Larry was great and made wonderful recommendations. The macaroni and cheese, succotash (lima beans/corn), collard greens, crab-watermelon gazpacho (I know, right) were spot on. My colleagues enjoyed their entrees but there were 2 dishes that just didn't' make it. The short ribs while tender were bland. Not even the nice sauce could help them. And the dessert, the country peach crisp tasted like a healthy version of what one really desire. Despite those 2 dishes, the pork chops, flourless chocolate cake, crabcake appetizer and the salmon were all divine. Would I come again - you bet!! But, I'd steer clear of the short ribs and that dessert.Special Features:
- Southern foodJPPL2000Dined on 8/11/2014The fried green tomatoes were the worst. Coated batter was hard, very tough to eat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014I had a bad experience at Vidalia many years ago and hadn't been back since. But some friends wanted to go there for Restaurant Week, so I decided to give it another try, and was very glad I did. The service was excellent and the food was wonderful. I would certainly return again.
- Fabulous Find...FedFoodieDined on 8/11/2014I'm so glad Vidalia participates in DC Restaurant week...my two colleagues and I all had lunch here, and they made their entire menu available to us for our 3-course luncheon. The food was fabulous (only complaint was that the catfish filet was a little small), beautiful presentation, service was great, and we all plan to return with our sig others to share this fabulous find! Thanks so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NJfoodieNJfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent as always! We have been coming for 15 years and the food, service and attention to detail have never wavered. The shrimp and grits is a perennial favorite. The cocktails in the bar were very nice due to the fact that it was not overly loud or crowded. True to character, the wait staff brought us a beautiful cookie tray gratis when they found out we had a wedding in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, value and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014We had a great lunch - and they were particularly accommodating given that we brought a baby with us. Delicious and good value for the 19.90 menu.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerMimix2Dined on 8/6/2014We celebrated a birthday at Vidalia's.... the waiter was wonderful. We had the five course tasting meals which were each unique and delicious. I have an allergy to cow's milk and the waiter/staff did an excellent job making sure that my food was perfect. It is so enjoyable to have a meal and not have to worry about a problem. I am looking forward to returning again... The summer truffles were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CooksalotDined on 7/31/2014The food is excellent. My group was very happy to be able to carry on a coversation without having to raise our voices to be heard. The service was some what indifferent and the manner of the servers was too casual for this restaruant. When I make a request of the server I expect to hear "yes (or no) Ma'am" not "no problem." Same for the busboys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningbptoeDined on 7/31/2014Visiting DC, Vidalia was recommended by a family member. We had an early dinner with with our hosts. Happy hour cocktails at the very nicely appointed bar in comfy sofas were followed by a fabulous meal. All of the selections were outstanding. The crab cakes were perfect with appetizer or entree size plates. The oyster pan roast appetizer was melt in the mouth perfection, as was the lamb ribeye entree. The ahi tuna entree was also excellent. Our service was gracious, knowledgeable, and spot-on with wine recommendations. Prices were moderate to upper moderate for a DC restaurant. An elegant treat for anyone with a curious and discerning palate.Special Features:
- Salty Shrimp and GritsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014I've eaten at Vidalia a few times in the past and have always had an excellent meal. However, last Thursday broke that streak. I was extremely disappointed in the Shrimp and Grits. Since I had ordered this entrée before, I didn't think twice of suggesting the meal to my husband, who was visiting the restaurant for the first time. Although the shrimp were very large and cooked perfectly, the shrimp were VERY salty - almost inedible. Also, the chef has changed the recipe a bit - definitely not a fan of the new version.Special Features:
- Flawless dinner performanceDrCheeniusDined on 7/28/2014The tasting menu was excellent and the wine pairings were very well chosen. Our server was a true professional - her pacing left us relaxed but not ignored and she was very knowledgeable about both the menu and the wines. Really quite pleased I chose this restaurant and will return the next time I'm in town.Special Features:
- Top NotchPaulGDined on 7/26/2014It's been several years since we dined at Vidalia and this is the first time we've had enough advance planning in our recent visits to DC to be able to secure a reservation (Friday night, no less). As expected, the food was excellent, the menu intriguing, and the service was great. Food prices were about what one should expect at this level restaurant in the District, but liquor and wine prices were too high. We'll be back for our next special occasion, but will enjoy a beverage or two before the restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful anniversary dinner!EmmylovesYummiesDined on 7/25/2014Vidalia went above and beyond my expectations for accomodating us for our anniversary dinner with only two hours notice. They printed a special message on our menus and then gifted them to us, brought a free dessert tasting plate with "happy anniversary" inscribed in chocolate, and the manger himself came to help choose a wine from their abundant list. He was knowledgable about each bottle and personally decanted it at our table. Service was extremely attentive without being obtrusive and the food was amazing. The five course tasting menu was well worth the price. My boyfriend and I will spend every anniversary dinner at this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Better FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/24/2014It's been several years since I visited Vidalia, but just ate there again on a recent business trip to DC. The service remains oustanding - attentive but in no way intrusive - and our server made a number of great suggestions that we were glad we followed. But it was the food that I remembered from my last visits and it was as good as I remembered! A great blend of seasonal favorites with a southern flair - everyone at the table was thrilled with their choices. I'll make it a point to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2014Vidalia never disappoints. Great good. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulStpauljoeDined on 7/19/2014Everything about our experience at Vidalia was worth noting. The food was fantastic and the service was equally good. Highly recommend Vidalia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vtfoodievtfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Great experience, waiter well versed in all aspects of menu and wine list. Service was discreet and unobtrusive. Food was over the topSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationPMFCDined on 7/18/2014Had been to Vidalia before and knew it was a great place to celebrate a birthday. We both had the Chef's Tasting Menu and it was fantastic! Service was great and personalized for our occasion.Special Features:
- Very good food, outstanding serviceJayHDined on 7/17/2014I was very happy with everything. Food was delicious, our waiter was superb and the ambience also pleasant. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably inventiveDinnerDivaVIPDined on 7/17/2014The $20 3-course weekday lunch at Vidalia is great. I ordered spicy watermelon gazpacho, nouvelle etouffe, and a cheese plate dessert -- all with memorable flavor combinations. One can converse easily in the dining room. The service is reasonably attentive. What's not to like?Special Features:
- Incredible ExperienceMagnificat2005Dined on 7/16/2014We came here to celebrate an anniversary and Vidalia didn't disappoint. It was top-notch in every regard. Charleston Tea, oyster pan roast, and chess pie were real stand-outs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!ShirlandAprilVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is my all time favorite restaurant. I would travel to DC just to dine at Vidalia. The roasted vidalia onions with oxtail butter were divine. The sweetbreads were perfect. Hooray for food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dctravelerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014Beautiful dining area. Outstanding, creative appetizers blending old southern cooking with modern cuisine. Great selection of main courses. Every dish well prepared and beautifully presented. Outstanding service; attentive but not intrusive. Fabulous pecan pie!!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulnobhillgemDined on 7/9/2014As usual everything about our recent meal at Vidalia was topnotch. The best bread basket ever - for any city and every dish was delightful. The service is attentive and professional but not "stuffy." A DC treasure and we try to dine there whenever we are in the city.Special Features:
- Always goodSteveVIPDined on 7/9/2014I get there about one time a year. Went with a couple this time and we each had a terrific meal. Nice selection of wines by the glass and of daily specials. Possible to order things that are not over the top fattening, but lots of such dishes on the menu. Nice decor and quiet and comfortable. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to re-visitRicinVaDined on 7/5/2014It had been awhile since dined here. The food was great as I remember. The Shrimp and Grits were as remembered - excellent. The Rabbit Loin was also a very nice dish. The pecan pie was delicious. The surprise dessert was the grapefruit one. Really good and accented with grapefruit pop rocks.Special Features:
- DuckSoup11VIPDined on 7/1/2014As always, great food. Our party of four variously enjoyed wonderful squid-ink tortellini stuffed with crab and garnished with pickled ramps; an excellent tilefish preparation; loin of rabbit, and several other interesting and original dishes. Service was knowledgeable without being distant. There's a large wine list with lots of choices, though many seem on the high side. Also, Vidalia is offering special cocktails as aperitifs, have a look at the choices. Side note: Almost every time I go to Vidalia I overhear somebody expecting classic "Southern food", and being disappointed not to find it. So be forewarned: that's not what they do here. This is contemporary cuisine, sometimes inspired by southern tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very complex menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/27/2014As someone who eats in a lot of towns around the US and Europe I found myself having to ask about numerous items on the menu. I had no idea what squid ink, ramps, and Ox tail butter was and when I asked it was like "how do you not know that". So great for foodies who love that. Food was very very good but place was dead and the service was slow on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food at VidaliaJakeFoodieVIPDined on 6/26/2014I hadn't eaten at Vidalia for over a year when I recently had dinner there. My meal made me realize I missed dining there. Excellent from start to finish. The duck entree is extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedLazloDined on 6/25/2014Took business clients there anticipating great atmposphere AND food. Two of us had steaks . The expense would have been justified if the food wasnt AWFUL. I could get better, more tasteful, less chewey steaks at Outback. I was frankly appauled, and totally underwhelmed. Dinner was $300 for three people. But I felt like I was payging for the ability to say I went to a restaurant that the Clintons and other famous folks have been too. Signed letters, a wall of fame photos and some really not good food.
- A real treatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The melon soup was a delight! Loved the friendly service. PSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Solid Serene PerformerAnnemddcDined on 6/24/2014They've never dropped a stitch. They had artisanal cocktails way back before it was cool. The dining room is underground, I find it cool and comforting on a hot day, cozy on a cold one. As a southerner, I can vouch for the biscuits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/24/2014We had a wonderful evening at Vidalia. We had Shad Row Salad, crab cake and Chilled Strawberry Soup for appretizers. All delicious! Our entrees were shrimp and grits, vegetable medly and branzino, with sides of corn and vidalia onions. Again, all excellent. Desserts were caramel cake, pecan pie and lemon chess pie. Ditto. But as good as the food was, the service was even better. Jill took care of us - including our special requests - every step of the way. She was pleasant and knowlegable and let us dine at our own pace. We were celebrating two birthdays, and I could not have asked for a better way to do so!
- Still greatFood4lifeDined on 6/24/2014We've been going here off and on for 17 years and they manage to keep the quality high. Our most recent time was for lunch. Service was perfect - we had the $19.90 3 course special, and each dish was just wonderful. Fresh ingredients, good presentation, flavorful and appropriate size portions. They offered some nice wines by the glass at a decent price point (good for lunch). We'll make it a point to get back for dinner again soon.Special Features: