405 N San Pedro Rd
San Rafael, CA 94903Neighborhood:
BasquePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://chaletbasquemarin.com/
- Phone: 4154791070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Roger Minhondo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chalet Basque
Welcome to the Chalet Basque restaurant, a family style restaurant serving dishes inspired by the Basque regions of France and Spain. Located in San Rafael, California, the owner and proud staff would like to invite you to come join us for our delicious cuisine, full bar, and outdoor patio. Our restaurant is also available for Banquets and parties upon reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Chalet Basque - Best Restaurants in San Rafael ›
Chalet Basque reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)great for outdoor dining (43)good for groups (23)great for lunch (20)fit for foodies (20)special occasion (19)romantic (14)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Pleasantly SurprisedAnnieDined on 11/2/2013I went to this restaurant before a concert at the Marin Center. Both my friend and I loved our meal. The food was delicious. We both ordered the fish and ate to the point of being stuffed.Special Features:
- Return a Bit DisappointingmartyDined on 10/29/2013We went back to Chalet Basque after a long absence, lured by the unusual items on the menu (tripe, tongue, sweetbreads, frogs' legs) and a special four-course offer for $21.95. We enjoyed the atmosphere and the convenience to Marin County's Civic Center, but were disappointed in the food. The frogs' legs were too rich, with so much garlic that this garlic lover was overwhelmed. My husband's sweetbreads were "terrible," according to him. The delicious house pate came with unnecessary salami slices rather than the traditional cornichons and mustard. We would think several times before going back.Special Features:
- Great FindJnAfromNorthBayDined on 10/27/2013Located in a residential neighborhood. Chalet Basque has great food and friendly service, this was a great experience. I had the duck in orange sauce and my wife had the cordon bleu, both were excellent choices. All dishes were plated well and full of flavor. We will be back and bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BasqueMartyDined on 10/18/2013Close to the Civic Center and secluded enough in the neighborhood, this restaurant provides excellence. A distinct variety of dishes to choose from prepared well. An outdoor area for dining on a nice day in Marin also a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service and the food waswillieDined on 10/13/2013The service and the food was great. It was a relaxing enjoyable dining experience. Our waiter (Alejandro) was very attentive and he knows his job well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why Did I Wait?BJTravelerDined on 10/9/2013I've lived in San Rafael for 16+ years, passed Chalet Basque many times, know people who have enjoyed dining there... I wish I had not waited so long to check it out! It was fun and delicious! I will add to my stable of often-visited Marin restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old school marintikidadDined on 10/5/2013we have aten here twice and each time we feel like regulars. It is a basque restaurant,but they don't really do the family style thing. The service is great,the dining room is vital and noisy. The food is really good. I would go again for the sense of community and that dose of old style service that has gone by the wayside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marin gemFNTJrDined on 10/5/2013Great location near Marin Civic Center for concerts. A quick find through Open Table in need for dinner before music. Thanks OT for this location find! Basque food without the family style tables but definitely great food and friendly atmosphere. Inside and patio dining plus bar dining if you wish with a view of the antique beer fridge. Even my Marin friends didn't know about this one. Thanks OT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceiQuackDined on 9/24/2013Food and service both very good. Helpful, cordial waitperson. Full dinners are favorably priced--plenty of good food. Was quiet because our group had a separate room all to ourselves--not too busy on a Tuesday night. There is outside dining but we didn't eat outside. Would be pleasant eating outside in good weather. Lamb dishes for 3 guests were excellent, and my fish was quite well prepared; rock cod with a delicious Béarnaise-tomato sauce on it which I'd strongly recommend. Nice place for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!FrannyWhitDined on 9/24/2013I have driven by this gem and have known for years it was there, but visited for the first time this week. WOW - excellent service, delicious food and presentation, and real "family-run" feel. It's evident that they are very proud of their establishment and want to provide diners with a welcoming, enjoyable experience. Menu offers regional Basque favorites that are a little out of the ordinary for most, but also delicious almost "country French" or something choices, i.e. the Poulet Chalet Basque that I enjoyed along with the most yummy creamed spinach ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My FavoritesCurliDined on 9/21/2013Soup, salad and entre were all excellent. They make wonderful sauces. There were four of us and everyone loved their dish. The lamb is exceptionally good. Service is good too - not too fast and not too slow. It has a cozy atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The special was deliciousJaxxy77Dined on 9/14/2013i had the duck confit and the duck breast, it was delicious-could do without the orange peppercorn sauce . My partner had the filet mignon....it didn't look like a filet mignon and it was smothered in a madeira mushroom sauce without the mushrooms...I am not a big fan of covering up an entire steak with a thick sauce and calling it a filet mignon...we were very disappointed with that...The french onion soup was actually very good. The caesar was heavy on the dressing-which i like, but my partner didn't. If you ask me, i thought the food was good...if you ask him he didn't think it was worth the 80 bucks.Special Features:
- A wonderfull place to dinefunwfoodDined on 9/6/2013We have 2 birthdays and an anniversary in our party. We were greeted quickly, and got to choose our table. The server was fabulous! He helped us pick our wine, and described the special very well (2 of us had it). After our meal we were treated to free desserts to help us celebrate. This is one of our favorite places to come for dinner.Special Features:
- Second time dining there.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013Second time dining there. We really enjoy it and the waitress is very entertaining. We chose to eat inside because of a dog that was with others eating out front that was barking. Some like bringing their pets, but I am not a big fan and not for me. Other than that I would still go again and would suggest others to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special LunchoregonhorsegirlDined on 8/29/2013I was in town for a funeral. While I was in CA, I had lunch with my 2 best girlfriends. It was a great choice for our lunch. We were coming from all directions in Marin and it was easy for all of us to get thru. Our food was wonderful and our waiter was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- This restaurant has been aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2013This restaurant has been a fixrure for years...glad to see the food was as good as I remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2013We had been there one year before. That was when we first met. This was an aniversary of sorts. It brought back wonderful memories of that first meeting. Very special.Special Features:
- Worth a visitPattiVIPDined on 7/26/2013Great Place for all occasions, especially for the outside seating when the weather is agreeable which is most of the time . The French onion soup and the sole were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2013I've been going to Chalet Basque for years and have always enjoyed it. It hasn't changed...still excellent with great food and super service. I find it very comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An al fresco gemGreatspotDined on 6/29/2013We ate outside on a balmy evening and we could have been in Southern France. Service and food were great.Special Features:
- Long WaitBobbyDined on 6/22/2013The restaurant was short one bar person and one wait person, which we didn't find out until I paid the bill. We had to wait 25 minutes for a waitperson to come to our table and that was only after we complained. When I paid the bill and commented to one of the staff about the bad service, I received an apology, but no concessions of any kind. However, one member of the staff did say that the owner showed up with his family, and instead of helping the over-burdened staff during a difficult evening, sat down with his family and enjoyed a relaxing dinner. I ordered the lamb shank, which was tasty and my date chose the filet, which she was disappointed with. We shared the Gateau for dessert, which was probably the best part of the meal.Special Features:
- Consistantly great food.NapaDined on 6/15/2013We have been eating year for many years and they never dissapoint.Special Features:
- one of our favoritessunflowerVIPDined on 5/24/2013We always look forward to our visits to Chalet Basque and are never disappointed!Special Features:
- 1950's Time WarpMarkDined on 5/17/2013I was really surprised by how inaccurate the reviews on Open Table were for this restaurant. The restaurant was probably decorated in 1950 without change. The food was mediocre at best. Tellingly, mostly elderly people were there, who were probably going there for the last forty years. They probably have enjoyed their time there, and more power to them, but most younger people looking for a little bit more sophisticated restaurant, unfortunately will not.
- Mothers DaybasqueluvDined on 5/12/2013Glad we had reservations for Mothers Day. It was busy. We had the Chicken Cordon Bleu. Wow. Best Escargot in Marin!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The potatoe leek soup is so good.Manny123Dined on 5/12/2013I have been coming for years and the environment, food, and service was always good. !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day dinnerBetsDined on 5/12/2013We chose Chalet Basque randomly as it was between Novato and San Mateo, had a good reputation, space for us .... and our grandson is a pescaterian.. eats only fish. They offered a variety of good fish dishes. We were a party of 8 and really enjoyed our meal. Our seating was a little tight near the water station but our waitress was terrific and really took care of us, especially the two children in our party. Food was delicious.. watercress soup and shrimp, lamb stew and veal all prepared very well. We would recommmend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceFoodiesDined on 5/10/2013Our waitress was outstanding, she was friendly and excellent at her job. The food as always was delicious.Special Features:
- Would go again.LvgdfoodDined on 5/8/2013Always love their special spinach salad. Tried the special pork chop, done perfectly, but thought the tomato based sauce overwhelmed the delicate dish. Very friendly, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marin's best French restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013Feels like a family French restaurant. Focus is on quality, authentic, traditional food, not trendy visual displays to see how high you can stack the food on the plate with artsy patterns in the sauce. Try the sweetbreads-exquisite!Special Features:
- This was a great spot forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013This was a great spot for our early dining 10 party group. We had the private room to ourselves for the first 1-1/2 hour so that was a treat and even after another large party came in the noise level was fine. Service was spot on. Wine was excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- We had a great time with aout4thedayDined on 3/29/2013We had a great time with a party of eight, and the restaurant was very accomodating.Special Features:
- A Marin gem...consistant overOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/27/2013A Marin gem...consistant over the years. I always take a freind who has not been before and they RAVE.Special Features:
- Great Little Local RestaurantMartySmartyDined on 3/23/2013Really good restaurant, we have visited several times. I ordered the duck, which was excellent, my wife had sweetbreads which was just OK.Service was great, and all the staff very pleasant.Special Features:
- Take a trip to FranceMissJuneVIPDined on 3/16/2013One of my all time favorites. I have come off and on for the last 40 years. Great place to meet people from opposite ends f the county, middle ground if you will. The full dinner for an extra $4.00 is amazing, pâté, homemade lovely soup, excellent salad, main course and save room for dessert, flan, rice pudding and the best Spumoni ice cream. Loving wine list and the Argentinian wine at $24.00 is delightful. Great evening anytime of year. Linda our server has been part of this legacy for as long as I have been coming here. For many years she was voted the best waitress in Marin and because she won every year there was no need to continue. I love Linda and this place. Oxoxox to all.Special Features:
- Wonderful menu. Good is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/16/2013Wonderful menu. Good is always served hot from the kitchen. Unique dishes are available. Basque food at its finest. The service is terrific and the setting is also lovely.Special Features:
- There is an atmosphere ofzman911Dined on 3/14/2013There is an atmosphere of being in a foreign country. There is a wide selection of Basque dishes, however they are small and do not always complement each other with the side dishes. This is not a place for one who is on a budget. Overall, it's a fair restaurant if you want to have something to eat and are not worried about the getting your moneys worth.Special Features:
- Go for the paella specialPenguiniVIPDined on 3/14/2013Went on a Thursday and had the paella special. It was chock full of meats and seafood which was cooked just perfectly. Had enough for leftovers the next day. Dinner came with fresh warm bread, salad, and a very good lentil soup. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Our experience from our pre-dinnerFinedineandwineDined on 3/2/2013Our experience from our pre-dinner cocktails through desert was exquisite. Our corner table provided a quiet, romantic spot for my wife and I to enjoy each other. The service was beyond reproach ... unhurried yet timely. (.. and the dessert ws marvelous!)Special Features:
- Average meal, crass serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/24/2013Average meal, crass service and terrible decor. My family comes here often because it's the most convenient but certainly does not deserve it. Google around, you can find better in the neighborhood.