The French Room
The Adolphus Hotel
1321 Commerce St.
Dallas, TX 75202Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The French Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hoteladolphus.com/
- Phone: 2147428200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday through Saturday, 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
We are NOT participating in Restaurant Week this year.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Marcos Segovia
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: The French Room hosts monthly gourmet luncheons featuring best-selling authors and personalities. These "Authors at The Adolphus" events create memorable dining experiences that often include menus inspired by the book's setting and theme.
- Special Events: The French Room hosts monthly gourmet luncheons featuring best-selling authors and personalities. These "Authors at The Adolphus" events create memorable dining experiences that often include menus inspired by the book's setting and theme.
A word from The French Room
Editors at Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Travel & Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, and Fodor's have consistently included The French Room on their annual lists of superlative restaurants. The Zagat Survey of America's Top Restaurants ranks the dining room No. 1 for food, decor, and service, and it's only one of nine restaurants in the United States to have achieved a near-perfect food score. Texas Monthly and D Magazine list The French Room among the best restaurants in Dallas. It is now the only dining room in Texas to hold the AAA Five Diamond Award. Guided by Executive Chef Marcos Segovia, whose culinary talents have earned him acclaim around the world, The French Room is an execeptional dining experience by any standard.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The French Room - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The French Room reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (116)romantic (108)notable wine list (66)fit for foodies (61)scenic view (12)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpulenteatsalotDined on 7/31/2014Sitting down, I wasn't sure about our choice. The inside is painted like a chapel in Italy, gold leaf everywhere. I was sure we were about to embark on a stuffy dining experience. Wrong- the service was top notch, food was thoughtful and delicious, dessert out of this world. Highlights were the butter poached lobster, and the cremeaux chocolate and mint dessert. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The French Room - OutstandingFoodie4LifeDined on 7/26/2014Where should I begin... The hotel that the restaurant is nestled in is beautiful in and of itself (The Adolphus). Walking through the lobby bar to the restaurant, I felt that I had travelled back in time. The French Room is a grand, romantic work of art. The walls, ceilings, chandeliers - all is lavish and lovely. And the food! Nothing to complain about. We chose the $80 course, as you are able to make your own choices VS the Chef's selection menu which is already chosen for you. I had the lobster tail appetizer and tenderloin entree - to die for. Our waiter was very attentive while also giving us the privacy I value. It was a glorious night and everything was perfect for our anniversary. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Fabulous meal in a beautiful setting with fantastic service and superb food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another memorable mealDallasfoodieDined on 7/26/2014In what has to be the prettiest dining room in Dallas the French Room continues to delight. Dress up, bring your wallet and then just relax as you are taken care of by an excellent wait staff. We had Connie as our captain, did the tasting menu for the entire table and had a wonderful time. This is a destination restaurant for adults who appreciate food and want a very romantic evening. We will be back.Special Features:
- Worth every penny!TXGuyDined on 7/26/2014Not the type of place you would expect to have friendly, helpful waitstaff. We were pleasantly surprised. And every serving of every type of food was delicious and just the right portion. If I was wealthy, I would eat there at least once a day!Special Features:
- HeavenlyBeach49Dined on 7/25/2014The French Room is a fabulous special occasion venue where perfection exists.Special Features:
- love itVt74Dined on 7/25/2014We were looking for special place for my husbands birthday celebration and this place was excellent.Special Features:
- The French RoomJDC47Dined on 7/22/2014This is one of the best dining experiences I have had in the Dallas/Fort Worth for years. The ambiance and service is outstanding with great food and great wines to pair with your meal. For a special occasion or a romantic evening, the restaurant can not be matched as far as I am concerned. Quiet and with just the right amount of room between tables so you fell like the whole room is your. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Room Good, But...sharonVIPDined on 7/19/2014Scallop and Halibut and Grand Marnier Souffle were the stars tonight. Sole, Fois Gras, sorbets were very good but not elevated. The crab cake is spongy and eggy and nothing about a beautiful lump crab cake-- bad. Service was lovely as always, although seems to have lost it's perfect grace. Still one of the loveliest experiences in Dallas in the most beautiful restaurant in Dallas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The hotel was a historic gem. The restaurant was perfection. Our anniversary was perfect due to the French Room. Can't recommend it enough for that special occasion.Special Features:
- WOW After all of these YearsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014Great 5 Star dining experience. From when you pull up with the Valet, to your entry into the main lobby, to your walk over to the entrance to the French Room. Your greeting at the door, to your table where a team takes over on making sure you are taken care of. The food is wonderful, exciting, and full of the proper character for the feel of the entire place. If I have a complaint is the menu needs to have a few new items added on a seasonable basis but each entre is on its own great, and taken all together great. Fixed Price menu lets you pick around, and the Chef can tailor the food if you have a food allergy or similar request. My wife likes the fact that the flowers are fresh, and that the candles are changed during dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as alwaysSarahpdfwVIPDined on 7/17/2014I really like dining here in the winter when it gets dark at dinner time. The room lights up more then. However, anytime is still wonderful. There's a good crowd an hour or so into the evening. I dined alone, and they brought me fashion magazines and coffee to entertain in between courses. It's really just lovely, and I am much more comfortable due to the politeness of everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class Fench RoomCecilDDined on 7/15/2014It was our birthday (My wife's and mine) eleven days apart. We felt we deserved a special evening. The French Room is nothing if not special. My wife and I have dined all over the world and nothing matches the setting of The French Room. Our server Geno was attentive, friendly, yet unobtrusive at the same time. The food is always top notch, and we enjoyed service worthy of the setting from Mr. Donohue and his staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuxuriousFtWMaverickDined on 7/12/2014I took a friend there for his birthday. Absolutely stunning serivce and food from beginning to end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS OUTSTANDINGMikeDined on 7/12/2014The French Room always stands up to their reputation as a 5 star restaurant that always provides quality food and outstanding service.Special Features:
- Great for Special OccasionsimonsecondVIPDined on 7/11/2014It is elegant, the food and service are fabulous. Try the crabcakes or the diver scallops for starters. For entrée, try pretty much anything. The duck, the filet, the veal tenderloin were all perfect. Waiters are very attentive. Also, try the taster's menu. They do not require everyone at the table to choose this like some other restaurants and they know how to time or synch the courses for this versus the standard menu. Bring your wallet as it is pretty expensive. We go there for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres bien!irish1101VIPDined on 6/27/2014In all respects a classic dining establishment with superb wait staff. The French Room provides an experience that allows a real appreciation of excellent cuisine presented by talented chefs and presented by an experienced, very attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Dining Like It Used to BeFoodaholicDined on 6/21/2014The French Room remembers what it was like to have an elegant meal in a first class restaurant. Beginning with their requirement for men's jackets, continuing through their beautifully furnished quiet dining room where the tables are spaced far enough to give some privacy this restaurant reminds you of a formal night out with your parents. Despite the formal surroundings, the staff is surprisingly friendly, chatty and helpful. The maitre d'hotel really knows his dishes. Oh yes, the food. Magnificent.Special Features:
- Amazing!foodieDined on 6/20/2014The French Room lived up to its reputation as one of the finest restaurants in Dallas. My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary by dining at the French Room where we were greeted and immediately taken to our table which was spaced nicely and allowed for privacy but we were still able to take in the gorgeous interior of the restaurant in its entirety. The three course meal was delicious (best crab cake I've ever had) and my husbands tenderloin melted in our mouths! The dark chocolate soufflé for dessert…I wish I could go back now to have another. they also gave us a delightful amuse bouche prior to the appetizer and a little sampler plate of confections before dessert. The staff attended to our every need and always with a smile.Special Features:
- lovely experiencelukielouDined on 6/19/2014Elegant dining room Impeccable service Beautiful foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary jewelmademebDined on 6/19/2014We went back to The French Room for our anniversary, after having gone for Restaurant Week last year. Everyone (from the valet captain to the servers...not just the maitre d'!) remembered us. The food was wonderful, and we were surprised with an anniversary dessert (after the dessert that we ordered!), and a loaf of gingerbread to take home for breakfast. Yes, it is the French Room, and exquisite service is a given, but they really do have their craft down to a T!!!Special Features:
- Transcendent!lunchbunchVIPDined on 6/14/2014There's the French Room and then there's everything else. Dallas has no lack of fine-dining offerings but the French Room unfailingly satisfies like none other! From the greeting and hospitality of the maitre d', the expertise of the wait staff, the inspiration of the sommelier, to the glow of an evening divinely spent, the French Room occupies an echelon of its own!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathyDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I celebrated his birthday here. We were prepared to rate this restaurant a five star after the appetizer and the main course, but the dessert ruined it. I ordered the soufflé, which was soggy inside. He ordered some kind of coconut tart that I did not even take a second bite. The staff was very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KarenMDined on 6/13/2014I've dined here many times and the food and service are top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tha business!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014Perfect for a special occasion. Very beautiful room. Very knowledge able staff that seemed very passionate about their job. Made for an incredible experience. Bite the bullet and do the chefs tasting, you won't regret it at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/10/2014Enjoyed the evening , food and service were very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceperfectmealDined on 6/10/2014The entire experience was perfect. My wine, food (crab cake, Dover sole, soufflé) and service were as good as it gets. The staff couldn't have been more friendly. I dined by myself, and they sent me away with a complimentary, delicious little cake that I took home. A memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for nice occasionshkhkDined on 6/10/2014Took my mother there for her a milestone birthday. She loves a nice upscale meal, and this fit the bill. Very elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014We truly enjoyed eating here for our anniversary last Saturday. The tenderloin was to die for! I've never had a better steak anywhere in my life, and the sauce with it was incredible as well. $80 per person for three courses really is not that bad, but if you add a bottle of wine it adds up quickly. The service was near flawless, and how you would expect it to be at such a fine place. Will definitely return to enjoy the food and the beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:
- Classy and deliciousAaronDined on 6/6/2014My wife and I ate at the French Room on June 7th. We went with the chef's menu and it was all very delicious. The wine parings were very good and complimented the food as they should. The service was exceptional! We will be back when we are in Dallas.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dining ExperienceOurBucketListDined on 6/6/2014We had the absolute best dinner & dining experience we have ever had! The food was incredible and the service impeccable! From the moment we walked in the door to leaving we were taken care of! Carlo was an outstanding waiter and made us feel welcomed. We have already made a reservation to go back next week.Special Features:
- 6647GBDined on 6/6/2014Absolute class, love the dress code and the decorum. Places like the French room are becoming few and far between, PLEASE keep your standards, you know you've been somewhere special when leaving.Special Features:
- Nothing in Dallas Comes CloseEricDined on 5/28/2014Asked on several occasions if we were celebrating something, my better half and I replied, "just enjoying life." And enjoyed we did. This incredible restaurant wowed us at each turn. We sat for nearly three hours moving from course to course, ending with some incredible coffee. No regretsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as alwaysrestaurantgoerDined on 5/28/2014made my birthday celebration special always a treat at the French RoomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1424 reviews are from the The French Room reviews archive.
- Will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We celebrated our 35th anniversary there. Familiar with the French Room's reputation as Dallas residents for a number of years. Don't know exactly what we expected but everything about the experience exceeded expectations. The crab cake was the best ever and the soufflé was alone worth the visit. Expensive, exclusive, yes, but the staff was friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was upscale, but relaxed. As high end restaurants in Dallas go, this quite possibly is our favorite. We certainly will be back and it will not require a special occasion to lure us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary bliss!OsvaldoVIPDined on 5/22/2014Our Anniversary tradition every year. It continues to deliver year after year. Impeccable service (Carlos is the best), great ambiance and masterful creations by chef Segovia. Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014Always an exceptional experience for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fancyAllergy311Dined on 5/17/2014Our server was fantastic. Francisco. Loved him- would go back for him alone! The entire staff was wonderful. The food was good- but not as amazing as I was expecting. (My steak was over cooked and served cold) We had fun taking our time and enjoying multiple courses, and dessert was divine. Being a native Texan, I've had a ton of steaks, and this one was not as good as the others I have had, unfortunately. It was good, just not worth the $80 price tag. The ambiance is like how we imagine a State dinner would be. Our wine was fantastic. They went out of their way to ensure everything was allergy safe for me, which was very nice. It was an experience!Special Features:
- WONDERFUL FOOD AND SERVICEdallasoenophileVIPDined on 5/15/2014This restaurant consistently offers some of the best food in Dallas. Neither trendy nor stodgy, the food generally is traditional with a modern twist. If you like foie gras (and don't mind the $10 upcharge), this is the place for you. The crabcake is the best I have tried, all crab with seemingly no filler. I don't know how it holds together. Service is wonderful, warm and never condescending. Wine is no bargain but the list is extensive, and even wine by the glass is thoughtfully chosen. The service is very leisurely, so don't try this if you are in a hurry. It's the kind of place where you get an amuse-bouche, sorbet between courses and and even banana bread to take home for breakfast.Special Features:
- DelectableFoodie1Dined on 5/15/2014Enjoyed the entire experience. Carlos our waiter was outstanding. If I return to Dallas I plan to have dinner there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.