The Plumed Horse
14555 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
The Plumed Horse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.plumedhorse.com/
- Phone: 4088674711x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:00pm;
Lounge: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Peter Armellino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Please visit our website, http://www.plumedhorse.com/news_and_events_upcoming_events.php, for our latest entertainment offerings.
- Special Events: Become our VIP and enjoy a special birthday & anniversary dinner at Plumed Horse! Please sign up at http://www.plumedhorse.com/contact_mailing_list.php?referralCode=OpenTable
A word from The Plumed Horse
The Plumed Horse achieves a look of sophistication with a sleek and modern interior featuring a glass-encased, three story wine cellar housing 1,800 selections and over 20,0000 bottles. Michelin Star rated since its re-opening, Executive Chef/ Owner Peter Armellino has created a Contemporary California menu with a balance of meat and fish and a focus on elegant dining. His cuisine is showcased in both a la carte and tasting menus, including one made up of vegetables grown on our local “farm.” All the action in the kitchen can be viewed from the exclusive and private Chef’s table (due to its high demand the Chef’s table is not available to be booked online-please call for availability). Experience the best in service, décor, wine, and food at this Silicon Valley destination locale that Sunset magazine calls “the best splurge restaurant.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Plumed Horse - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
The Plumed Horse reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (80)romantic (80)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (9)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Don't go hungry!ChefrjVIPDined on 2/28/2014Three components to a world class meal, great presentation, outstanding flavor and overall satisfying; PH gets two out of three. The dishes were small and I felt like picking up a cheese burger on the way home ;-)Special Features:
- Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/25/2014We dinned at the Plumed Horse for our Anniversary and it was amazing from beginning to end. They brought out a champagne cart right after we sat down to offer a glass of champagne by the glass, we tasted a couple and made our choice. We started the evening with caviar and champagne that was I felt the highlight for me. Everything was excellent and we were waited on hand and foot. I highly recommend this for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SupriseLPVwineDined on 2/25/2014Was looking for a special place to celebrate my fathers 85th birthday and decided on the Plumed Horse restaurant. We arrived a few minutes early to our reservation but were promptly seated. The dinner was as much an adventure as it was food and wine. The service was crisp but very personable and ended up being a great evening from first to last course.Special Features:
- Beautiful food and ambienceKevinDined on 2/21/2014It doesn't get better than Plumed Horse. If you want a romantic, or special occasion to be special, look no further. The abalone was rich, delicate, and the best I have ever had. We also had antelope...cooked rare and beautifully seasoned. I can't imagine a bad meal here from the excellent wine list to the very thoughtfully prepared food, its doesn't get better than this in the south bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal was outstanding!!!jdreezy22Dined on 2/16/2014The food was fantastic. My wife and I were blown away with how good the food was. Very expensive but worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Shadow of its PastCulinaryDinerDined on 2/16/2014My wife and I have been regulars at Plumed Horse since it reopened in 2008. Up till today we always enjoyed our visits and were impressed with both culinary selection as well as service. Unfortunately, we had a rude awakening when we visited Plumed Horse to celebrate Valentine’s Day this Sunday. Not only did the service lack, but neither my wife nor I were served the full scope of the promised tasting menu. For instance, I had asked to substitute the chocolate soufflé with a different desert due to allergies, but never received a substitute. Nonetheless, we had to pay the full price and when we complained, were not offered an apology but rather told that our negative attitude is not welcomed and that we should never return.
- Not worth going on valentines day.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/14/2014I was excited to try this place but when the portions came out costing 165 dollars a person, I wouldn't go back. The portions they gave, I would gladly pay 80 per person but 165 was steep. Food was tasty though.Special Features:
- Worth every dollar!FarzeeDined on 2/14/2014Really nice ambiance, quality of food and its presentation as well as service. Went there for the Valentine's day celebration and the customized menu execution was brilliant. Having recently been disappointed by my last two trips to Michelin rated restaurants, this renewed my faith in the rating system again.Special Features:
- delicious menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Food menu was absolutely delicious. A whole range of dishes, and gladly accommodated my wife by substituting veggies for all seafood.Special Features:
- valentine's day at the Plumed HorseRichardDined on 2/14/2014The Plumed Horse is a special destination restaurant, and on Valentine's Day, there was an 7-course, prix fixe dinner, with no choices. We were poured champagne upon arrival, service was not rushed (as usual on this holiday), and each course was just enough to delight and savor. The negatives: it took an hour to get them to turn down the air conditioning, despite 4 or five requests- and only when I left my seat to find a maitre d'. And the price? With two glasses of wine, on top of the prix fixe menu, I could have had an outside berth on any of 10 Caribbean cruise next month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014All in all it was a great experience. It was rather loud though. Maybe it was just because it was valentines day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!CoachDaveDined on 2/13/2014My wife and I have eaten at the Plumed Horse many times. It is one of the best restaurants in the Bay Area with wonderful presentations of many superbly blended ingredients. From traditional high-end fare like caviar, to more daring dishes like an uni/dungeness crab souffle, diners are never disappointed. The wine list is incredible, and the sommelier helpful and very knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Amazing mealmomchicVIPDined on 2/12/2014One of my dining companions said of the Crab Souffle "That might be the best thing I have ever eaten. Every morsel of food was scrumptious and delicious. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience. GreatVancuisineDined on 2/12/2014Excellent experience. Great service and food. worth the moneySpecial Features:
- The BestguybDined on 2/11/2014From making reservations to settling our bill our experience was first rate. Staff is gregarious. Service is impeccable. Ambience is exceptional. The meal was magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, The Plumed HorseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/8/2014As always, The Plumed Horse was perfect. It is our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent as always.ChrisDined on 1/25/2014Food was excellent as always. Service was a not up to usual high standards. Wine pairings came late with a couple of courses and the wrong wine was served with one of them. Server didn't do a very good job describing either the food or the wines for each course. Normally when we go to the Plumed Horse, we are made to feel very special by their level of attentivenes, but that was missing on this occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World-class dining experiencetable4twoDined on 1/25/2014What a fantastic treat! First time to The Plumed Horse. My wife and I started our anniversary dinner with the caviar (couldn't resist the suggestion), then followed our waiter's recommendation and had the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing. Every course (we lost count!) of our pescetarian meal was fabulous, the service was impeccable, the wines were wonderful, and we left very satisfied. To really enjoy yourselves for a special occasion, do as we did: ignore the menu (we never opened it) and don't ask (or think) about prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning!!BrittanyDined on 1/20/2014My best friend was up from San Diego and we decided to splurge on a fabulous meal. Taking a recommendation we chose the Plumed Horse in lovely downtown Saratoga. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and shown to our table in the main dining room. The décor was sophisticated and inviting. We were instantly at ease when we were greeted by our waiter who was delighted in our choice of the tasting menu and wine pairing, he ensured us we would not be disappointed. We could taste the thoughtfulness that went into each component of the every dish and the wine pairings were spectacular!! The service was superior and each person made it their priority that we enjoy every moment. This was not just dinner, it was an unforgettable life experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!olive2eatDined on 1/16/2014Don't believe the enthusiastic reviews - the presentation and service are excellent (though over the top), but the food is tasteless and extremely overpriced considering the very small portions. We would not go back or recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Incredible Culinary ExperienceMarieDined on 1/8/2014I've been at the Plumed Horse a dozen times since 2002. I'm blown away everytime with the tasting menu with wine pairing. Every bite is a subtle hint of je ne sais quoi that is perfectly combined with other known delicious flavors. I want to take an internship in that kitchen!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A vey little for a lot.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013It was just your typical bad service, bad food on New Years Eve. We decided to give it a shot because we were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary (which no one bothered to ask if you're celebrating anything special besides New Years) and we were staying in Saratoga for the night. We had no idea they were serving a tasting menu (good idea when people are drinking) nor did we know they were charging $185 per person for the pleasure of this silly amount of food until we sat down and this piece of paper with this information was already sitting on the table....very classy by the way. I don't think we ever saw the same waiter twice, after awhile we just found the whole thing comical. I could go on but I think I've made my point.Special Features:
- NYEOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/31/2013Extremely overpriced and horrible service... Won't go back
- We Love Plumed Horse!Foodie101Dined on 12/30/2013Plumed Horse never ceases to amaze my husband and I. This was our second visit to the restaurant and because we were so impressed the first time, we decided to bring our friends. Just as we expected, each and every person blew us away as did the food. We started off with drinks at the bar and chatted with the bartender. They we were escorted to our table in the "must see" chefs table with a view of the entire kitchen. With a kitchen this clean and food this good you can't go wrong. From the moment we stepped into the restaurant, we felt we were the staffs priority, and they make everyone feel that way. All I can say is, I can not wait to return to the Plumed Horse for a 3rd time! Any occasion, is a great occasion, spent at the Plumed Horse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time, still the charmiMaxDined on 12/28/2013It's our third time and we still love it. The food is exceptional and the overall experience great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great holiday dinnerSbsharksfanDined on 12/28/2013We very much enjoyed the tasting menu at the Plumed Horse. Each course was enjoyable and adding the soufflé was an excellent choice. Service was top notch. Plan on visiting again when a new tasting menu comes out in the spring.Special Features:
- Service was lacking we bothmarkgVIPDined on 12/25/2013Service was lacking we both ordered the paired wine, but they 'forgot' to bring us the 2nd round until we found a waiter there were other service issues, perhaps because it was Christmas, but still, should have been better Food however was excellent
- holiday foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/25/2013We were disapointed in the four course holiday menu. I would have paid more for better food. The salad was generic, the soup was wonderful, the rissoto was great, the pork was good, but the steak was not so good. It was a carved piece of ribeye but it are.more.like eye of round. It was rare and I ordered medium rare with light seasoning and no marbeling which gives you the flavor. The desserts were ok with the mint dessert being the best. The cake was like a dry breakfast muffin. The cheese was good. While we were disappointed with the food, the service was flawless and we had some excellent wine. It is troublesome for a.restaurant of this caliber to make a generic menu for the holidays.
- good food, rushed serviceSnr99999VIPDined on 12/24/2013We went here on Christmas eve. There was a prix fixe menu with four choices. All of our meals were quite good, but the service was perfunctory. My daughter waffled on her choice and received a haughty glance from the waiter. When dishes were delivered each waiter described them just as quickly as they could. It seemed as if they were trying to turn the table over even though the restaurant was not full. Also, we had brought two bottles of wine and were charged $35 and $50 for corkage. This seemed excessive.
- Outstanding service, excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/10/2013First I must mention our waitress was gracious. She attended to us for five hours before we left (we stayed late, as the restaurant was cleaning up, but they made us feel welcome by never mentioning the fact). The tables were cleaned after every course and the staff was helpful in bringing out plates and extras so we could hold a mini-tasting session. We sampled many appetizers, entrées, and desserts. I appreciate the chef's petit fours: tomato soup, mint macarons and chocolate bon-bons, among others. The squash bisque and lobster dumplings were appetizing; the steak, antelope, trout, and tuna were choice. The steak and antelope are smoked on a bed of hay. Dessert was the weakest meal -- weak for the Plumed Horse. The sommelier was kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 60th Birthday dinner party.CaptnHankDined on 12/5/2013We had a group of 14 for a Birthday dinner. Scheduling, menu planning etc went very smoothly. The entire staff were outstanding, cheerful, and helpful. Everyone in our party had high praise for the chef’s food and presentation. Thanks for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service, liked theArhNDined on 11/28/2013Attentive service, liked the simple elegant decor. Food taste, presentation was great. There for Thanksgiving, would have appreciated a more traditional twist on the turkey dinner, i.e. a mound of mashed potatoes, instead I received a smear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AGAINlisallesatplayDined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving dinner for the 4th year now. Excellent service. The BEST. The food was fantastic BUT very small portions. Seems like every year the portion gets smaller. The restaurant is gorgeous. The noise level is quiet but not so quiet you are uncomfortable. Vegetarian was minimal and the risotto was not cooked perfectly according to my guest but it smelled divine so i cant say. The turkey was unreal...the best ever, the stuffing was to DIE FOR. Salad was wonderful. Pumpkin soup was good. The cheesecake was not that great but good. The chocolate fondue and ice cream was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/28/2013This was a Thanksgiving dinner, so a bit of a special occasion both for us and the restaurant. The food was good, and about what I'd expect for the price. The bar in the restaurant was surprisingly rowdy. Not a problem, but it did kind of clash with the refined nature of the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family GatheringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2013I have dined at the Plumed Horse many times over the years. This time was the first time in the dining area that was the former bar area. It had a subdued decor with plenty of room between tables. The noise level is low, so a group of people are able to dine and converse at a normal conversational level. Also, the neighboring tables are far enough away that they are not party to your conversations. The food was great overall. The lobster souffle was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the tasting menuCASteelerFanDined on 11/23/2013Worth the education. Exceptional staff, and lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PRETTY SALTYYSCAVIPDined on 11/23/2013Few of the chef knows how to cook white fish. But I am surprised the chef cook the risotto and sea urchin sauce are way too salty.Special Features:
- True fine dining with CA flairOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/23/2013The food was exquisite. Everything we had was delicious, fresh with a meticulous attention to detail. We felt we were back in Europe but the great, modern music (great selection) reminded us we were in California. Our server Julia was very attentive and helpful throughout. Extensive wine selection including one of our favorites. The changing lights also positively added to the experience. We were able to take our time and ended up spending almost 4 hours there. A great, great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised by the dessertJerryDined on 11/18/2013The food and service was excellent, but I was wow'ed by the dessert the most. They made ice cream out of a gouda cheese, and it was such an interesting combination. Absolutely loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it! Loved it! LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/16/2013Loved it! Loved it! Loved it! My new favorite restaurant!!Special Features: