The Plumed Horse
14555 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
The Plumed Horse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.plumedhorse.com/
- Phone: 4088674711x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:00pm;
Lounge: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Peter Armellino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Please visit our website, http://www.plumedhorse.com/news_and_events_upcoming_events.php, for our latest entertainment offerings.
- Special Events: Become our VIP and enjoy a special birthday & anniversary dinner at Plumed Horse! Please sign up at http://www.plumedhorse.com/contact_mailing_list.php?referralCode=OpenTable
A word from The Plumed Horse
The Plumed Horse achieves a look of sophistication with a sleek and modern interior featuring a glass-encased, three story wine cellar housing 1,800 selections and over 20,0000 bottles. Michelin Star rated since its re-opening, Executive Chef/ Owner Peter Armellino has created a Contemporary California menu with a balance of meat and fish and a focus on elegant dining. His cuisine is showcased in both a la carte and tasting menus, including one made up of vegetables grown on our local “farm.” All the action in the kitchen can be viewed from the exclusive and private Chef’s table (due to its high demand the Chef’s table is not available to be booked online-please call for availability). Experience the best in service, décor, wine, and food at this Silicon Valley destination locale that Sunset magazine calls “the best splurge restaurant.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Plumed Horse - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
The Plumed Horse reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)romantic (80)fit for foodies (76)notable wine list (72)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (11)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fabulous!NeilVIPDined on 6/12/2014As always, the Plumed Horse exceeded all of my expectations!Special Features:
- Loved it.JeffDined on 6/5/2014Took my father here for his birthday, and he loved it. He is usually difficult to impress, but could not get enough of the uni and dungeness crab soufflé. All three of the amuse bouche were quite tasty. I felt the antelope and the petrale sole lacked a little flavor, but the salmon was cooked sous vide and was perfect. My sister loved her pressed petaluma chicken. Overall, I had a great experience and would come back for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect.dweeklyVIPDined on 5/31/2014I've flown to Europe for dinner at El Bulli and eaten twice at French Laundry (and once at Per Se!) but my goodness the meal I had at Plumed Horse was right up there with one of the most perfect meals of my life. We ended up missing the show we had tickets to that night because dinner lingered, but it was just so @#$#@ing good neither my partner nor I cared. We ended up going a full hour longer than I thought as we leisurely strolled out the door (or waddled), full of the best food there is. You can travel the world but you don't get better than that.Special Features:
- Food is Just Good, Not GreatEater99VIPDined on 5/31/2014Our party of six people chose 4 tasting menus and 2 a la carte. We were really expecting outstanding taste in the dishes as it is a one starred Michelin, and were somewhat disappointed that food was just slightly average. The only dish that we raved about was the souffle with the sea urchin, which was outstanding. Otherwise, food is not as tasty or wow factor as Manresa, nearby in Los Gatos. But restaurant was full with diners, just a nice place to celebrate a birthday or anniversary. Service was very, very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/29/2014Great service. Food was flawlessly executed by the chef Andrew. We had the chefs table with a view of the kitchen and it was really fun to see action in the kitchen. Definitely recommend for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up ScaleEleanoreVIPDined on 5/29/2014Nice place. Trying too hard to be up-scale. Just a bit "too, too" everything. Made us uncomfortable. This is our comment having eaten at many so called up-scale restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Experience EverAwesomeDined on 5/23/2014From the time we walked through the door until the time we left everyone was so helpful, friendly and had great attitudes. This was by far the best meal I have ever had and have been to a lot of great restaurants. The knowledge of the staff to the creations and flavors of the food was top notch and amazing. We all had so much fun. This topped off my fiance birthday. We are still talking about this dinner and will be back. Thanks so much for the great experience you all ROCK!!Special Features:
- The following 1105 reviews are from the The Plumed Horse reviews archive.
- out of town visitorsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/21/2014we went to the restaurant with out of towners who have multiple homes and a very full life. the woman has lots of special food needs and was very well-cared for by the chef and the wait staff. she was VERY happy (not often the case at restaurants) and so, too, her husband. we enjoyed the many different courses. very fine sommelier advise. Julia was a superb waitress and spoke spanish and italian to our multiligual guests. Manuel, the maitre d, was very welcoming, as always. kudos to allSpecial Features:
- awesome anniversary celebrationwhiterosesDined on 5/19/2014Had the most enjoyable dinner experience at Plumed Horse. The meal was exquisite and the staff were superb! Even gave us a glass of champagne at the end to celebrate our special event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim's BirthdayMom05112014Dined on 5/17/2014We have been going to the Plumed Horse for many years. If you are looking for an elegant night out this would be the restaurant to go to. The food is delicious. We had salmon and it was prepared perfectly. The service was very good also. Definately the place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Reviews for a family dinnerstancyDined on 5/17/2014We came here for a post mother's day celebration. The Ambience was not romantic or energetic they have an odd music selection. The food was decent but there was nothing that was insanely fantastic. Our favorite was the cheese souffle which was nice at the first bite but too heavy to finish. Overall the meal was reasonable.
- special diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014A special place. One of us is lactose intolerant. The waiter asked for allergies at the time of our ordering. Thereafter, she was given special treatment. What a wonderful awareness of a problem. She thanks you. My guests are from San Francisco and thought they knew fine dining. they said this dining beat all SF has ! Your staff are so well trained. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oustanding an expensivegreyfoodieDined on 5/13/2014the total experience was at a very high level beginning at how we were greeted at the door. the dining room is lovely in design and architectural balance. the tasting menu had several "wow' items, served well and w/o attitude. china and tableware appropriate and sometimes unique. price was what one encounters with restaurants of this standard but it still would considered very expensive by most people. the one negative comment is that since the restaurant can be somewhat noisy and very noisy when full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could be betterClosetFoodieDined on 5/11/2014We took our 4 yo for mother's day dinner. Granted we had high expectations, we were rather disappointed by the overall experience given the price point/reputation. Staff were all courteous and the ambiance sublime, but after being seated, we felt as if we were politely being forgotten. We were seated for ~10 min before any menus were provided. No one took the time to explain the menu... sat there another ~15 min b4 our waiter came by to "take our order"... again no explanations. Staff interaction was very pleasant when they did stop by except that they seem more attentive to larger parties and we felt conveniently forgotten. Food/presentation was what we expected of a high-end restaurant but nothing exceptional.
- Hit it out of the park on Moms dayMichaelDDined on 5/11/2014Struggled to find a unique mothers day brunch experience until I remembered Plumed Horse. Was very concerned about traditional brunch because it seemed all the restaurants serve the same dishes. The Plumed Horse served eggs Benedict like all the others but it was sooo good it succeeded in differentiating itself from the expected. My wife was incredibly happy and said I had hit it out of the park on the choice. i thought the price was reasonable for free flowing champagne, and we brought our 3 year old who was served scrambled eggs and fruit. The only criticism was no booster chair but Matteo was fine just the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fooddbj0Dined on 5/2/2014Wife & I had tasting menu w/ wine pairings, Friday PM. There are a lot of things I don't like and I do not expect to like everything on a tasting menu, but this worked very well, including things that had ingredients I normally wouldn't order. Food quality superb. Fennel bisque and parmesan/pepper souffle were especially good. Wine pairings were less successful; all wines were too young, which matters most with the reds of course. Noisy, enough so that we couldn't hear each other and the waiter couldn't hear us. Misunderstandings were made. Service was good overall, but waiter tried really hard to sell us champagne at the beginning. I don't like champagne and got annoyed the 3rd time I told waiter no and he wouldn't shut up.Special Features:
- billbomd88Dined on 5/1/2014Though expensive, a meal at the Plumed Horse comes with free extras such as 4 tiny hors d'oeuvres to start, a choice of 4 different breads, and palate cleansing sorbet between dinner and dessert, all with interesting flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef tasting is an event.TyloveDined on 4/26/2014Chef tasting is just right. Take your time, enjoy. Flavors don't pop as much as LaFolie. The souces are not as heavy which makes for wonder full but not bloated stomach. Sr staff is excellent. New staff can use more training. Get the soufflésSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentblunktiousDined on 4/25/2014This is my wife and my favorite restaurant. We've tried other Michelin starred restaurants, but so far, none have come close to the Plumed Horse for us. The sommelier has been excellent for us and the wine list is both extensive and impressive. We generally get the tasting menu and often get the accompanying wine. Each time we've done this, our experience has been incredible. An additional note, I am a vegetarian who is allergic to mushrooms. I'm sure I'm a pain for the chef, but I have received nothing but exceptional food and my dietary restrictions have been accepted graciously. My wife is not a vegetarian and delights while dining on the normal omnivorous menu.Special Features:
- Extraordinary dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014The Plumed Horse never disappoints. The chef is very creative and generates tasty and visually striking compositions. My wife and I shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glam ExperienceEllieDined on 4/19/2014I knew I was going to a nice restaurant but it wasn't until my experience began, I realized we were in for a real treat! EVERYTHING was amazing!!! Too bad my budget can't allow me to go once a week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceBryanDined on 4/12/2014Took my wife here for her 43rd birthday an it was an excellent experience. My wife was blessed and we were served well. The food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TasteTom0308Dined on 4/9/2014Both I and my cousin had "Chef's Tasting Menu" and felt salty for all specifically Fennel Bisque. Also we recommend you to serve plain sorbet after Roasted Pekin Duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experience was greatMisterFabsDined on 3/29/2014You don't need to go with the full tasting menu in order to have an amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible service, food, wineSunshineDined on 3/29/2014We've lived in this area for 30 years. But, this was our first time to The Plumed Horse and boy were we pleasantly surprised. From the moment we walked in, everything made us feel pampered and special. The ambiance is beautiful, the dishes, silverware and linens top notch. The food was unique and surprising. Special little plates treats of treats kept being placed in front of us. The presentation and service was impeccable. The champagne cart at the beginning of our evening made for a special start. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double Diner2NightsVIPDined on 3/28/2014We had dinner here on both Friday and Saturday night as part of my birthday treat. Friday was with good friends and Saturday was alone with my wife. I had the chef's tasting menu paired with wine Friday and the Peaking Duck Dumplings in Consomme followed by Pork (four cuts, fabulous) on Saturday. Everything was excellent and the service was wonderful. The food, service, including the bar beforehand and ambiance were great, We had a couple great bottles of wine in addition! I do have to say the Fondue with Crab and Uni was out of this world! I want to go back tomorrow!Special Features:
- Very, very goodRatwiiDined on 3/24/2014The Plumed Horse is fantastic. The food was outstanding! The chefs are very creative and always seem to have a surprise for their customers. The wine list is superb and the service is second to none. I highly recommend for special occasions or simply a great dinner with friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food, Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014The Plumed Horse never disappoints. Chef/Owner Peter Armellino's food is exquisite, the presentation lovely and the flavors outstanding. The service is exceptional, knowledgeable and friendly. The ambience lovely. There are not enough superlatives to commend The Plumed Horse! Whether it's a special celebration, a romantic dinner or just a quest for a memorable meal, Plumed Horse delivers. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is exquisite, a work of art.LindaDined on 3/22/2014Chef Peter is an artist with flavors, textures and presentation, each bite was truly exquisite. The staff made sure that the entire experience was exceptional. We were treated like VIPs from the moment we walked in the door. I cannot recommend the Plumed Horse highly enough.Special Features:
- Decent restauranthongamomDined on 3/15/2014All of food, service and ambience are really good!! Satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Tasting MenuCathyNDined on 3/15/2014Came here to celebrate my friend's newfound journey to motherhood. we do not drink alcohol so the staff was very accommodating in offering non spirited drinks. each and every dish in the tasting menu was delicious and beautifully presented. the black pepper Parmesan souffle with the crab fondue was to die for. the drive is red cap was cooked perfectly . I would definitely go back just for the souffle and everything else was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice 1 michelin star classicFrenchmanDined on 3/8/2014too noisy at beginning of evening, need to find a way to dampen the sound level a bit food delicious wine list nice service nice needs to kick things up a notch if it hopes to get second michelin starSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definition of Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2014Every t crossed and i dot. Perfect anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful birthday surprise!Foodie101Dined on 3/1/2014We were warmly welcomed and greeted by their lovely staff and quickly seated at a nice round table for 5. My husband had pre-arranged for a birthday surprise for me and they had a prix fixe menu made with my name and birthday on it when I arrived at my table. I can not imagine a more perfect way to celebrate my birthday. Everything about our experience was perfection. I especially liked the miniature desserts they gave us at the end! I felt like a queen and I'm so thankful I chose to come to the Plumed Horse for my birthday. This is a tradition I intend to keep!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PamperedcthulhuDined on 3/1/2014From the moment you enter the door to the time you walk out again, it is clear you are a cherished guest. Our table was near the entrance to the dining room, which left us ample opportunity to observe the staff -- which was a delight to behold. On most occasions, they'd enter, focus, check, and synchronize movements to present dishes to a table in swirl of wonder. We had the tasting menu -- like about 60% of the room -- and it was an exquisite exposition of delicious. From the first sea-trout nibble to the last dessert, it was only decorum that kept us from licking the plates clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Celebration Dinner1stTimeVisitorVIPDined on 3/1/2014We returned to the Plumed Horse for my birthday (for the mailing list special), and had a fantastic experience as always. We often order the tasting menu, but we went a la carte this time, and enjoyed every dish. The opening seafood souffles were sensational, my sliced ribeye was perfectly prepared and my wife's seafood dish was superb. We also received great recommendations for wine pairing by the glass and enjoyed extra treats from the chef throughout the meal. I would also add that the service was impeccable - very knowledgable and warm. This is our favorite place to celebrate and we realized that we should be coming back more often - it's actually a good value in high end dining experience, considering everything that we receive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go hungry!ChefrjVIPDined on 2/28/2014Three components to a world class meal, great presentation, outstanding flavor and overall satisfying; PH gets two out of three. The dishes were small and I felt like picking up a cheese burger on the way home ;-)Special Features:
- Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/25/2014We dinned at the Plumed Horse for our Anniversary and it was amazing from beginning to end. They brought out a champagne cart right after we sat down to offer a glass of champagne by the glass, we tasted a couple and made our choice. We started the evening with caviar and champagne that was I felt the highlight for me. Everything was excellent and we were waited on hand and foot. I highly recommend this for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SupriseLPVwineDined on 2/25/2014Was looking for a special place to celebrate my fathers 85th birthday and decided on the Plumed Horse restaurant. We arrived a few minutes early to our reservation but were promptly seated. The dinner was as much an adventure as it was food and wine. The service was crisp but very personable and ended up being a great evening from first to last course.Special Features:
- Beautiful food and ambienceKevinDined on 2/21/2014It doesn't get better than Plumed Horse. If you want a romantic, or special occasion to be special, look no further. The abalone was rich, delicate, and the best I have ever had. We also had antelope...cooked rare and beautifully seasoned. I can't imagine a bad meal here from the excellent wine list to the very thoughtfully prepared food, its doesn't get better than this in the south bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.